View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Mercurial

Those teams are just as good if not better than many the teams we are playing and losing against. They're very good football teams and clubs.

Besides it doesn't really matter if you're playing Benfica or Brentford, you should save shots like today. It's nothing to do with the quality faced, the shot is a shot that should be saved. It's probably largely to do with confidence and being in poor form at the start of a career for a club where the expectation and focus can increase the demands.

I don't think he's always been playing like he has at the start of his United career throughout his club career. That wouldn't make any sense, you would not have even reached the level of his previous clubs by giving away goals like this. All the time. It's the frequency, all keepers make errors but you wouldn't be at this level by gifting away goals most matches.
Statwise he has never faced a situation like with us, we yield way too many shots on target and have done so for years. Not only do we yield them, we yield them more dangerous than a tight defensive. It's not ideal for a goalkeeper. He should save some of them, but the quality of shots we let teams take is higher than he faced most his career. With us he faces 110-150 shots in league with Inter and Ajax never more than 75-80 in a season. Ajax dominated their league of minnows, Inter has and had some of the world's best defensive this and last season.

People don't want to admit it but we have been very poor at defense for quite some time and it's taxing the goalie. We got the wrong goalie for our current needs.

Abraxas

Statwise he has never faced a situation like with us, we yield way too many shots on target and have done so for years. Not only do we yield them, we yield them more dangerous than a tight defensive. It's not ideal for a goalkeeper. He should save some of them, but the quality of shots we let teams take is higher than he faced most his career. With us he faces 110-150 shots in league with Inter and Ajax never more than 75-80 in a season. Ajax dominated their league of minnows, Inter has and had some of the world's best defensive this and last season.

People don't want to admit it but we have been very poor at defense for quite some time and it's taxing the goalie. We got the wrong goalie for our current needs.
That's an interesting statistic, fair play. If accurate that certainly provides some food for thought.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It's bizarre right? He's been shocking at saving some of the shots recently

But the play where he's deeper and not getting involved is annoying. I get we have different defenders and possibly a slower back line but I'd say that's a good reason to have him higher to plug that gap
100 per cent.

At the moment, when I look at Onana, the United shirt just looks heavy on his shoulders. From the time he got lobbed in pre-season he seems to have steadily retreated into his shell. At the moment, instead of the modern sweeper keeper we thought we were getting, we've got a 1990s style keeper who's not even that good at shot stopping.

Dve

The worst thing today is that I'm sure we can call the goal a blunder, but rather another proof that he just isn't very good.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Hopefully he can reset in the international break. Ive heard the sub keeper we had is really shite too.

Olecurls99

half of caf actually convincing themselves that saving goals is secondary will be always be one of the funniest moments during my time of supporting United.
:lol:

Yes yes, a thousand times yes

We gave up the clean sheet holder for this :lol:

And we're still shit playing out from the back. Go figure

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
half of caf actually convincing themselves that saving goals is secondary will be always be one of the funniest moments during my time of supporting United.
This! :lol: :lol:
This is, in some way, one big karma. After years of underestimating Dave's skill in saving shots, we got gk who can't save a single shot.

Don't forget; Dave won golden glove last year because of "great defence" in front of him, not because he was saving shots.:)

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I feel nervous whenever he's called into action.

His handling and agility look questionable atm.

FerociousCorgis

I hope he comes good but feck he looks horrible right now. Dude gets no power on his dives. Wrists of jelly. 1v1 I've got no faith in him right now. Not sure how to solve his confidence issue but international break coming at a perfect time for him

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
This! :lol: :lol:
This is, in some way, one big karma. After years of underestimating Dave's skill in saving shots, we got gk who can't save a single shot.

Don't forget; Dave won golden glove last year because of "great defence" in front of him, not because he was saving shots.:)
Yeah, the entirety of which is now out injured, so I'm not sure that's quite the gotcha you think it is.

izec

He is an accident waiting to happen. He hasn't got the basics for a keeper, genuinely looks like an outfield player in goal.

ti vu

So that means he can't save shots against Brentford and Crystal Palace? A shot is a shot and he wasn't making mistakes like that.
He always has those goal keeping technical deficiency.

For example, over two legs against Milan where they barely created anything (3 shot on target over two legs), Onana made bad read of Tonali shot in the fist leg. He looked like he read as the ball going wide. Confidently straighten up his stance and not anticipated a situation where the ball bounce back into play. Tonali's shot hit the post

Against Porto, in second leg, Mattheus near post shot in the first half, Onana made his save very cumbersome due to his awkward low diving technique. He bumped his head into the post too. At the end of this game, Onana's supposed heroic save was a bit similar technically to today conceded goal. Very soft hand. He pushed the ball, and lucky enough it hit the post. It's a reflex save so there may be some excuse for that, but the sign is there.

The game against Barcelona in Nou Camp, in the first half he spilled the ball. On another action where he should made a comfortable save, the way he palmed the ball made it very ugly in that the ball bounce off his body and went out for corner.

Containing opposition is not all about just possession. When a team defend low block well, GK's only required to make routine save.

redIndianDevil

Our defence has to be top notch hereafter as Onana is never saving decent shots. Only thing onanas got going is his distribution.

redIndianDevil

Onana is clear proof that stats means shit. The transfer threads were inundated with shite stats to prove how Onana and few other keepers are so much better than De Gea but the simple eye test shows how awkward Onana is.

mu4c_20le

I hope he comes good but feck he looks horrible right now. Dude gets no power on his dives. Wrists of jelly. 1v1 I've got no faith in him right now. Not sure how to solve his confidence issue but international break coming at a perfect time for him
1v1 is almost always a goal, but right now they are starting to pepper him with mid range shots. Johnstone just made a fairly routine palm save today for Palace but I have no confidence Onana would've done the same, as it wasn't straight at him and the shooter took it so fast.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
1v1 is almost always a goal, but right now they are starting to pepper him with mid range shots. Johnstone just made a fairly routine palm save today but I have no confidence Onana would've done the same, as it wasn't straight at him and the shooter took it so fast.

The first half was basically 1 shot on target each.

Their shot which was central, not that hard, no real bounce, managed to somehow sneak in, whereas Rashy's pearoller was easily kept out
It's a big worry.

AdNani

Onana is clear proof that stats means shit. The transfer threads were inundated with shite stats to prove how Onana and few other keepers are so much better than De Gea but the simple eye test shows how awkward Onana is.
Or maybe, just maybe. judge him on his entire career, rather than the bad patch (really bad patch) he’s never ever been this bad, and will likely never ever be this bad again once he comes out of it. I’ve watched a lot of him last year and the Onana of last year is 1000x the keeper we’re seeing right now. As was the Onana of Ajax. With the type of character he is I expect him to come out the other side and have a good career here.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
His jumps for saving shots are so awkward. I dont think there will be much improvement than what we have right now.

For now, he should be dropped

twitter thread suggester
How any goal keeping coaches could have watched him in action and vouched for him is a mystery.

acnumber9

He’s so ridiculously slow getting down to shots. More and more that second goal against Arsenal was just indicative of his shot stopping. Too slow getting down and his wrists are too weak.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yeah, the entirety of which is now out injured, so I'm not sure that's quite the gotcha you think it is.
It is not only about wonder saves. Lots of Dave's saves were labelled as a "routine save". With Onana there is no routine saves. Guy struggles with every shot. He played 11 games this season. I don't think that he catched a single shot so far.

stoinz

What happened to him? He looked good with Inter and now he is worst than Taibi.

flappyjay

What pisses me off is not the fact that he has been shit. Its that we spent a fortune on him but didn't even bother to train passing out from the back. So now we are not even reaping the benefits of his composure on the ball. Its like there was an expectation that his ball playing skills would solely elevate our passing out from the back.

ti vu

Or maybe, just maybe. judge him on his entire career, rather than the bad patch (really bad patch) he’s never ever been this bad, and will likely never ever be this bad again once he comes out of it. I’ve watched a lot of him last year and the Onana of last year is 1000x the keeper we’re seeing right now. As was the Onana of Ajax. With the type of character he is I expect him to come out the other side and have a good career here.
The issue here is he's in a very different environment now. GK tended to stay in one club for very long time, so when you judge an entire career you can confidently have an accurate read for example DDG decline since World Cup 2018. However, when GK moves to a new club especially in new league, and the combination of new environment as well the pressure being an entire new chapter of his career, when they made mistakes. Taibi was highly rated and Serie A was indisputable league back in the day. Barthez had great reputation for the obvious reason.

Ajax was so dominant over most teams in that league, they're comfortable playing their back up GK and still maintain absurd defensive record, when Onana was suspended and kept out of the team due to contract situation. It's not even comparable to PL, where teams like us and Chelsea spending money and still shift a lot of goals over the season to team outside of top 4.

What if Inter was a purple patch still with sign of questionable handling, shot stopping technique? Inter was getting very good defensively toward the end of last season, where they prevented shots and closed down shooting angle very well.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Onana's distribution is the Emperor's new clothes.
It’s just a misnomer. What he’s particularly good at is beating the press. He’s very comfortable with both feet, very composed and relatively agile, so he invites pressure and turns away from it very easily. That takes at least one man out, often multiple against high pressing teams. If the outfield players know how to exploit that it creates real chances, and it forced the opposition to open themselves up to chances or step off in their pressing. That’s particularly useful against big teams who press a lot; you couldn’t miss it against Arsenal.

Our team aren’t that well set up to exploit it. Look how often Onana picked out the wingbacks at Inter with simple but ruthlessly effective clips over the first man, often after drawing pressure from two. Our fullbacks aren’t that good at receiving the ball, but more importantly they don’t know where to be. Yet.

His long passing is good, clearly better than de Gea’s, but nothing special. He doesn’t have Ederson’s range. But he’s better at inviting and exploiting pressure. It took some adjustment at Inter for him and his team mates to get as good at breaking the press. But you can’t seriously have watched him against pressing teams last year and fail to see his strengths there. He’s a very effective passer.

Guardiola’s no fool.

ti vu

What pisses me off is not the fact that he has been shit. Its that we spent a fortune on him but didn't even bother to train passing out from the back. So now we are not even reaping the benefits of his composure on the ball. Its like there was an expectation that his ball playing skills would solely elevate our passing out from the back.
That's on ETH, and supposed DOF. It's strange that football people can think that A GK even one among the best with his feet is the transformative signing to elevate the whole team passing play. Passing play and dominating game is still an outfield battle. Ball playing GK is like the finishing touch, not the foundation. And we're lacking in the foundation.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't know what the best thing would be to do with him. He's not actually this bad. Can't be. He wouldn't become a professional goalkeeper if he was. Rock bottom confidence. Do you remove from firing line, or keep him in? I'd remove personally, let him work his way back over time but I think you need to give Altay a run.

saik

He's starting to worry me as it looks like he cracking under the pressure. That absolutely was a shot any keeper worth their salt must be saving. It wasn't even coming at him with pace. Just terrible.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
He is probably the worst player I’ve seen in terms of performance at United. Judging him only on his appearances at the club - I think he wins this easily.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wouldn't be the first player to drop levels under the scrutiny of playing for United.

He can't have been letting this many soft goals in and still earn race reviews last season, can he? As much as everyone gets over fixated on passing.

cyberman

Bit harsh on him today. Ball went under his hand because he was diving for a shot set further away before the deflection took it closer.
Still could have saved it but I see why he couldn’t