View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Pirlo'sBeard

I think he should have saved it really. He's too slow to shuffle his feet and get down. It's been noticeable in a lot of goals we've conceded.

Bwuk

He’s lucky we won because that’s another shot that went in he should be saving.

I think he’ll be fine, seen even the best keepers get left flat footed from a scuffed strike across them, especially when slightly blinded by a soft as feck centre half.

Mistakes have been way too many of course, as they were for De Gea at the start of his United career, but he’s also made a feck tonne of good saves & his passing is looking more and more like a huge positive after tonight.

evil_geko

People really are blaming Onana for that goal? Ok, I expected too much common sense from people, that is my fault.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah he should be saving that. Flat footed and slow reaction to the show. It was way too weak to be conceding like that.

mu4c_20le

The below thread is great analysis and echoes my thoughts: https://x.com/jhdharrison1/status/1732510908469985451?s=46&t=VSHmiQTFzH1S46eXOOqeCg

He is way too erratic. Some great distribution and the save from Jackson was great, but he lets too many soft goals in.

His performances vary too much, in game and from game to game.We would be better served with a keeper with a stable baseline of performance.

Clangers/soft goals conceded sprinkled at regular intervals between other good play is not going to be good enough as we get better.
Was waiting for his analysis. Let me repst it as it isng showing

Chinchy98

People really are blaming Onana for that goal? Ok, I expected too much common sense from people, that is my fault.
No one is “blaming him”, it’s soft goalkeeping. It won’t be in a compilation of clangers, but it’s another to add to the “could probably do better” Forest, Brighton & now tonight can fall into that category.

It’s been omnipresent all season. If this was after a flawless/mostly flawless season to date he would get the benefit of the doubt.

His fundamentals are alarming; handling and lateral power/leap are the glaring deficiencies.

He’s 27 and played at the highest level, this is him in and around his final form.

criticalanalysis

It deflected off Lindelof after the Swede gave Palmer about 10 yards to run with the ball and an eternity to set his own shot up.

Yes could have done better but not a major fault all things considered. Onana has bigger issues.

Levenstein

Should’ve made a side step and then dive.
Overall better performance - Passing was good (deserved assist) and made a big save on 1 on 1 as well.

lex talionis

It’s probably more fair to say Onana could have saved the shot, not that he should have saved the shot. It was saveable, but only by an elite shot-stopping keeper who not quickly reacts to the shot but can read the striker’s intent as he’s taking the shot..

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Some of that ball playing ability was on display against Chelsea. Still doesn't inspire confidence in the goal keeping aspect.

GMoore23

He'll never be good enough due to his inability to deal with low shots.
He looked like a slow motion replay trying to stop Chelseas goal last night.

sugar_kane

It's a bit worrying that I'm impressed and relieved when he even makes routine saves.

Need to try and find a keeper who is a solid deputy in Jan who can play in cup games (assuming we're still in any by then...) under the guise of rotation and potentially take his place in the first team if needed.

I actually love the guys personality, and I think if we're playing more solidly as a team he could be enough for a couple of seasons, but his shakiness on shot stopping could only be forgiven if he's contributing more in the way of playing out the back and he just isn't doing that right now.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Was waiting for his analysis. Let me repst it as it isng showing

The slow motion replay from behind the goal shows the issue really well. He plants his left foot far too early and immediately after taking a half step to the right. I think that's his main flaw. His footwork is poor which make saves much more awkward than they should be. But there are a lot of saves to be made where footwork isn't too important so will get away with it most of the time.

Born2Lose

He has been poor at times, but his overall game adds so much to our play.

Nice to watch a game and not worry every time a defender passes to the GK.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Yeah, agreed. For all the deserved shit he got so far this season we're definitely starting to see the value of having a keeper who can help pass through the press over the last few games.

Rossa

The slow motion replay from behind the goal shows the issue really well. He plants his left foot far too early and immediately after taking a half step to the right. I think that's his main flaw. His footwork is poor which make saves much more awkward than they should be. But there are a lot of saves to be made where footwork isn't too important so will get away with it most of the time.
We have an issue in the backline where they are too passive, which in turn creates too many shooting opportunities. Then we have a goalie who simply doesn't save some of the goals that he should be expected to save, and here I don't give two fecks about stats. Yesterday was not a mistake per se, and I'm sure x-something will point that out, but he should save it, and he knows it. Allisson would be livid with himself for letting that in. Prime DDG would never let that in, nor would Pope. We need goalies that make those saves.

Just as we need forwards who can finish chances that average strikers don't. Atm, we have attackers and midfielders that don't finish off a free heading from five yards or open shots from 10 yards - we are so lacking up front in our finishing, and then we have an average to even slightly below average shot stopper - we need top class in both places.

I really like Onana - he looks to have the right mindset. He's brave, proactive and good with his feet, but his shot stopping is a concern. That is based on the eye-test, not stats, where he's the second best shot stopper in the league - anyone who believes that?

Rossa

Absolutely - he definitely adds a whole lot to the team both by being brave, coming off his line (could do that even more), his calmness and passing. Is his passing, btw, better against the better teams, for some reason? His passing was brilliant against Arsenal, great against Chelsea, but he struggled a bit more against some of the lesser teams... or am I mistaken?

lysglimt

Scout
I am not blaming him - but if he takes one step to the left before diving - he saves it. It's not a mistake because it's a very good finish, but a top-top keeper saves that shot.

lysglimt

Scout

His overall game certainly adds goals against to our play

Utd heap

Models for Coin.

I'm not so keen on being concerned every time the opposition have a shot though.

3KDré

Absolutely - he definitely adds a whole lot to the team both by being brave, coming off his line (could do that even more), his calmness and passing. Is his passing, btw, better against the better teams, for some reason? His passing was brilliant against Arsenal, great against Chelsea, but he struggled a bit more against some of the lesser teams... or am I mistaken?
The better teams press higher which leaves space for him to exploit.

Son

I'm not so keen on being concerned every time the opposition have a shot though.
His Prem form has been exceptional so far. Better than De Gea was for us last season in the league all round.

We can pick bones but let’s be real De Gea was a net negative in huge parts of his game. Crosses and passing back to the keeper? Forget about it.

Even his shot stopping wasn’t amazing either apart from the odd YouTube worthy save the past few years. A fit and stable defence carried him massively last season.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
His Prem form has been exceptional so far. Better than De Gea was for us last season in the league all round.

We can pick bones but let’s be real De Gea was a net negative in huge parts of his game. Crosses and passing back to the keeper? Forget about it.

Even his shot stopping wasn’t amazing either apart from the odd YouTube worthy save the past few years. A fit and stable defence carried him massively last season.
Not here to talk about DDG personally. Calling Onana exceptional at anything this season is a huge exaggeration/stretch.

He's been 'ok' in the league, but still managed to chuck a few in (Brentford, Forest wasn't great etc).

Unam333

His performance yesterday was ok. That one on one save was really good. We all complain about his CL performance, but my god Sanchez's distribution yesterday was really sh...

always_hoping

For that Chelsea goal last night I'd be looking more at lindelofs poor defending and a midfield that was so easy to play through and not drop back than laying the blame at the goalkeeper.

Lindelof subbed off at half time was fairly telling also.

Son

Not here to talk about DDG personally. Calling Onana exceptional at anything this season is a huge exaggeration/stretch.

He's been 'ok' in the league, but still managed to chuck a few in (Brentford, Forest wasn't great etc).
Right so you are naming like 2-3 games out of half a season? A little ridiculous considering he’s in the top 3 keepers in the league.

He’s doing just fine got off the guys back.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Right so you are naming like 2-3 games out of half a season? A little ridiculous considering he’s in the top 3 keepers in the league.

He’s doing just fine got off the guys back.
He's not doing fine, he's been pretty shit. Let's hope he gets better.

glasgow 21

Im am still convinced that the goal strike from Palmer got a nick of the back of Maguire's heal which didn't help.

Marcelinho87

He's not doing fine, he's been pretty shit. Let's hope he gets better.
I disagree.

what we need to see from Onana is how he reacts in a game or two where he isn’t peppered with shots all game.

a top keeper for me is able to keep his concentration throughout and we just haven’t been able to witness this with Onana because we constantly allow attacks.

it’s unfair to judge him based on goals in considering the huge amount of shots against him, for all this talk of Maguire been great etc we are doing terribly bad at defending.

We can’t concede chances like we do (Sheff United, Luton are the only two teams with more against them) and expect Onana to shoulder all the blame.

Pickle85

We have an issue in the backline where they are too passive, which in turn creates too many shooting opportunities. Then we have a goalie who simply doesn't save some of the goals that he should be expected to save, and here I don't give two fecks about stats. Yesterday was not a mistake per se, and I'm sure x-something will point that out, but he should save it, and he knows it. Allisson would be livid with himself for letting that in. Prime DDG would never let that in, nor would Pope. We need goalies that make those saves.

Just as we need forwards who can finish chances that average strikers don't. Atm, we have attackers and midfielders that don't finish off a free heading from five yards or open shots from 10 yards - we are so lacking up front in our finishing, and then we have an average to even slightly below average shot stopper - we need top class in both places.

I really like Onana - he looks to have the right mindset. He's brave, proactive and good with his feet, but his shot stopping is a concern. That is based on the eye-test, not stats, where he's the second best shot stopper in the league - anyone who believes that?
What about him makes you think he's brave?! Was it shouting at Maguire?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Utter shite about the steps.

I hate when people try to sound too clever.
And if there is this fan urgency to blame someone, blame Lindelof for very weak defending. How can you give so much room and no pressure to an attacking player in the box?