g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

YikesSchmeics

If we get this fella and a decent RB then we are a number 9 short of having a top tier first 11. We would then need squad depth before a title challenge is realistic. We won't get all of that in this window. So those who say we should prioritise a 9 over GK etc, we need to recruit the right players over the next 2 or 3 windows before we will truly see the challenge that ETH can mount. So if this guy is the guy, then lets get it done. 1 less glaring weakness from our starting 11 taken care of is a huge positive for me.

Bwuk

If we can ship off Dean Henderson for about half of the Onana fee we’ll be laughing.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
For going on tour, getting a new GK definitely is actually a higher priority than getting a new striker in. Of course a new striker is still needed but at least we have options that can deputise in that position for now. Onana could be huge because with him, we'll have two of the back five who already know the system. Can't wait to see how we build up next season.

ManRed

I am enjoying the way we negotiating this time around. More cautious because of less budget. Sure we will miss out on some targets but this will help our reputation in the market a long way. Woodward open cheque attitude really made things worse for us in the last decade.

KD6-3.7

While its looking increasingly likely we aren't getting a top class striker, I'm hoping we can at least sort out the GK situation, really hoping we can bring Onana in.

VanGaalEra

Yeah that's the best we can hope get sorted for tour,pretty certain the search for striker will drag on throughout it unfortunately
For sure mate, we’ll need to get some sales in before we can look at anything else I think. Bit of a shit situation to be in.

VanGaalEra

Yeah agree with this. Onana will totally transform our set up and tactics in games, so needs to be worked on quickly.
Really does, a mid priced striker isn’t really going to change how we shape up in pre season but a ball playing goalkeeper and the tactics that go with it is something we need to make sure we get at least 5/6 pre season games with.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Brief from Murtough? If so.he must be pretty confident and unlikely to slip through now
That fecking word!!! “BRIEF!!” “PR” it’s all the fecking same. No it’s not a fecking brief, itms simoke football journalism, jheeze!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Giggsy13

If we can ship off Dean Henderson for about half of the Onana fee we’ll be laughing.
Looks like that’s the plan. There will also be substantial savings with De Gea’s contract coming off the books.

Teja

It seems like this will be done. Inter need money and we're playing hardball. As long as he's around for pre-season, I don't mind if this drags out a bit.

peridigm

While its looking increasingly likely we aren't getting a top class striker, I'm hoping we can at least sort out the GK situation, really hoping we can bring Onana in.
We need goals. We also need to stop goals. Both can be helped indirectly by strengthening other areas but I think the GK situation has manifested itself into a greater priority for a long term solution where as a striker can be put of until January which might see us with new owners willing to spend. Perhaps it will be Onana and then we see who is available for a decent fee to fill the striker position.

Sir Erik ten Hag

To the people who have watched a decent amount of both players, who would you prefer out of Onana and Costa? I guess either we were never in for Costa or have been priced out of the move?

Have to say i was pretty impressed by Onana's footwork in the champions league final. Night and day difference between our FA cup final goalkeeper's performance.
They are not very far away on levels (With Costa displaying a fair edge in potential). However, Costa kinda shrunk in the big occasion (World Cup) due to pressure, while Onana stepped up and shined in the Champions League Final against City.

Belisarius

I am enjoying the way we negotiating this time around. More cautious because of less budget. Sure we will miss out on some targets but this will help our reputation in the market a long way. Woodward open cheque attitude really made things worse for us in the last decade.
I'm also enjoying more. It seems we're finally negotiating as a professional football club after a decade of negotiating like muppets pretending to be football people.

Makes me nervous that the club will be sold and we'll throw our reputation back out the window by spending a boat-load to buy Neymar or some such.

croadyman

I would say getting Onana in for pre-season is more crucial than a ST at this stage. Changing how we build up from the back is our biggest problem and much harder than the final third, where actually we aren’t terrible.

I know we complain about being slow. But getting Onana and Mount in before pre-season tour is actually pretty good going, especially given the takeover uncertainty.

Just need to actually sign the fecker now.
Yeah that will definitely improve our build up

croadyman

I think this or Costa have to be the ones to go for if we want to nail down a top quality ball playing keeper. Everything else looks a compromise..

We need to get it done. Then scrimp and save and sell whatever we can to get a striker in. I don't care how we have to leverage or structure those deals, I'm not arsed if we're paying for the next 18 years, just get those two done and then that's the bulk of what we needed sorted and hopefully brighter times are ahead when we're sold and eventually the finances will address themselves. At this point it is not going to be an ideal summer in these circumstances, it's going to be making the best of a shite situation with our ownership, but a mid, keeper and striker would do a lot to strengthen this side. 3 fecking signings, I don't want to see a keeper plucked out of Holland for 3 signings. Get the best available.
Still think IF we can sell a few players then might be able to get cheap backup DM too

Cloud7

Inter getting desperate.
At least we know there has been official contact and an actual bid. Can't see this taking too long. The clubs will find an appropriate middle ground. It seems like all of Inter, United and Onana want this to happen.

Nickelodeon

The Fecking euros and pounds is annoying me
Especially when our 40 million pounds will deliberately be converted into 50 million euros and then suspiciously be reported as 50 million pounds. Then the 5 year wages will be factored making it an investment of a billion pounds.

Hester_manc

I am not sure that Onana is a better goalkeeper than De Gea when we talk about making saves. De Gea has had seasons where he was our best player, and last season he was the keeper who conceded the fewest goals. De Gea makes stupid mistakes from time to time, and that is the only reason why I think it is fair to look for an other keeper. But Onana actually makes huge mistakes too sometimes, and my impression is that there are no fewer mistakes than with De Gea.

Onana is much better with his feets than De Gea, and that is important for ETH. But the most important quality of a goalkeeper must still be whether he is able to save points for his team.

Lee565

I just hope when we sign him that fans don't create a match day chant that involves using the word banana within it

Status
Not open for further replies.