Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
"He's done ok" is an understatement, the kid has been head and shoulders above the rest of the squad. He made Coleman and Ricardo Rodriguez look like average fullbacks.
He's had a terrific season so far for a 19/20 year old especially considering just how poor an attack he's part of.

pascell

Our problem is, we seriously lack players making runs into and around the box. When he got the ball against Chelsea he had to do it all himself. If Herrera made a few last minute runs into the box, along with a few other players who could drag defenders away, he'd have much more joy cutting in and either scoring, or making an assist.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I still think hes a striker, not a winger, i dont want him becoming the next Welbeck, he needs to learn his position, not get shunted for players who may earn more but clearly arent at his level..

United22

He is a striker, it is just that our attacking options are that fecking bad that him as a winger is better than the actual wingers that we have. :houllier:

HabeasC

He is wasted as a striker at the minute as he gets no service. At least with him on the wing whoever is upfront or attacking the box will get chances. He could and almost did score and create one on Monday.

RuudTom83

He'll be ok as long as his instructions are clear! Changing positions between CF and LW won't harm him as he plays on the left for the national side.

What will harm his development is different instructions every week and a different manager every 12 months...consistency is what he needs.

Timdbro

I still think hes a striker, not a winger, i dont want him becoming the next Welbeck, he needs to learn his position, not get shunted for players who may earn more but clearly arent at his level..
He's already better than Welbeck ever was, but I'm guessing you mean you don't want him not to know his best position?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
We need two of him. One on the wing and one at number 9. He's insurmountably our best player in both positions.

Imagine Martial launching in from the left with the ball, dropping the shoulders and serving up full backs on toast, then fizzing it across goal to Martial. Phwoar.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He is a striker, it is just that our attacking options are that fecking bad that him as a winger is better than the actual wingers that we have. :houllier:
:lol: The state of us. Our best striker is also our best winger and has only been here a few months and also one of the youngest players in the squad. Unbelievable.

amolbhatia50k

Done well in the big games as well.

Scored that goal against Liverpool.

Best attacker on the pitch vs City.

Best attacker on the pitch vs Chelsea.

Got the opening goal in our "biggest game of the season" vs Wolfsburg.

Shimo

Also think he is far more effective on the wings than through the middle right now but, then again he is also better than Rooney through the middle at the moment. Problem becomes when he is played through the middle we have no one on the outside right now that can attack defenses and it leaves him with little service. The thing though is that he needs to be playing with a bit more freedom in terms of his positioning. When he is right or left sided player, he actually plays as a winger, sticking too much to his sideline. Against I Chelsea, there was a point where we had the ball down the left and there were like 5 of United down there and Martial just stood on the touchline where as he could have made the run behind or into the middle. We need to change his wide role to be more of a wide forward, to someone that is free to come in whenever he sees the space or swap with the striker, we'll get a lot more out of him.

In January if we can get a striker that is willing to play off the shoulder of defenses, not constantly coming short, leaving us no one to play the ball into the box to, to keep the central defenders occupied, then I don't think people will mind as much him playing a wide forward role because he'll have more freedom rather than getting stuck as 9 who doesn't see the ball that much for him to be truly effective.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I like to think of him as our Premier League moulded version of Neymar on the left. Fast, a hard bastard and incredible dribbling ability. It's the two positions next to him that we really need to sort out.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
He's already better than Welbeck ever was, but I'm guessing you mean you don't want him not to know his best position?
Welbeck was a bad example, I want to keep him centrally so he can work on his shooting and close control, learn thr positions to take up.. Being wide forces you to look up and look for the middle man usually, when you dont counter well as we set up for possesion, i just think we are limiting his gosl action and it's crazy as he is the best we have at the moment it would seem

Timdbro

Welbeck was a bad example, I want to keep him centrally so he can work on his shooting and close control, learn thr positions to take up.. Being wide forces you to look up and look for the middle man usually, when you dont counter well as we set up for possesion, i just think we are limiting his gosl action and it's crazy as he is the best we have at the moment it would seem
By far, but he's also our most dangerous and creative winger, which is even crazier in my opinion.
Of the two, it's probably easier to find a quick, creative young winger in the market than a CF as complete as he is. Hopefully we help him out by bringing one of the former in.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
On the left he sees more of the ball and makes more penetrative runs than any other player we have. Let him build up some sort of understanding with Rooney up front and Herrera behind and we at least might start creating some chances, for all 3 of them.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I keep changing my mind about his best position, but with his dribbling skills and pace i feel he is best used out wide.

HabeasC

He is less likely to get doubled up on when he is on the left than when he is playing in the middle, especially as our style of play means teams sit in compact banks of four.

At the minute, we need to focus on getting him one on one against defenders as that is when he is at his most deadly. It only makes sense to play him on the left at the minute.

mav_9me

The first order of business has to be to buy a good pacy wide player to enable us to play martial up top.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'm assuming I'm in the minority in thinking Martial is better off coming from the wing at the moment. People blaming Rooney for pushing him out wide, but I actually think it's better this way. Of course, it would be a lot better if we had a decent striker to replace Rooney in the middle.

Martial just makes so much more space for himself coming from the wing. We create a lot more chances, for the team and for Martial himself.

Then again, if we had a competent winger then maybe it would be different and this would result in Martial actually performing better in the middle and actually scoring more from the threat coming from someone else on the wing. Alas we are unable to do that with this current squad/Memphis' current form.

Hopefully he'll get into a purple patch soon.

Sb_16

People saying Martial is best suited to the wing seem to have forgotten what he offers through the middle. Remember the hold ups battling with defenders twice as big, the little one twos putting others through, the quick feet inside the box creating space/chance by himself.
The fact that he can be effective in the wings should be his asset as a striker who likes to roam and find/make spaces for himself/teammates, not the other way around.
Strikers of his quality are few and almost all are unattainable. But a tricky pacy wide-man like him are many and easily attainable. For this season,due to the incompetence of Rooney, Memphis and LVG, he has to be sacrificed to the wings but come next season let our no.9 be the no.9.

Spock

As long as we're forced to endure Rooney in the starting XI, the only way to go is to have Martial left and Rooney central in a 433. But as soon as LVG understands the extent to which Rooney is a liability and eventually drops him, Martial can go back to his best position.

amolbhatia50k

His position is a real problem this season. We need him out wide because he's the only one that can beat a man and terrorize defenders. We need him in the middle because he's miles better than Rooney. I'd try Memphis as a striker for a few games.

Minimalist

Maybe the fat scouser can learn how to finish off this young lad.

Downright dumb he's not playing as the main striker in the middle.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
And some are still disgruntled with him. What more can you expect from a 20 year old in his first season in a new league with utter shit surrounding him.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Under normal circumstances I'd prefer him on the left, but really, everyone else is shite and he should probably be up front.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Our attacks start with his movement and finish with him doing something superb to score directly or indirectly. Thank God for Anthony Martial.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Scroll through the last ten pages and you will see some saying he hasn't done that well. Absolutely shocking posts.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Scroll through the last ten pages and you will see some saying he hasn't done that well. Absolutely shocking posts.
The first half today was average, the second half was world class.

Ibi Dreams

He's already a brilliant player, it'll be very interesting to see just how good he can become

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
The first half today was average, the second half was world class.
Pointless assessment of his match aside, I was talking about Martial's time here so far. How could one ask more of someone who has turned 20 coming from a foreign league with useless veterans guiding him during his time here?

Status
Not open for further replies.