Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Holy shit is he getting criticised for that awesome display as an isolated forward? He was literally our only outlet and tried to win it single-handedly.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Holy shit is he getting criticised for that awesome display as an isolated forward? He was literally our only outlet and tried to win it single-handedly.
Go to the United without Rooney and Martial thread. Latest post askig the question if he is too unpredictable for his teammates and thus making good teamwork harder. Shocking.

I swear some want ten Valencias playing for us, all the predictability we want.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Go to the United without Rooney and Martial thread. Latest post askig the question if he is too unpredictable for his teammates and thus making good teamwork harder. Shocking.

I swear some want ten Valencias playing for us, all the predictability we want.

His hold-up play, at age 20, is comparable to (though not as good as) Berba and RvP in their prime, and he has tons of pace too. And dribbling. I can't give him much more praise.

HabeasC

Was poor to begin with but got a lot better. Cannot really blame him too much as he is still coming back from an injury, had no support from Rojo who should not be playing LB and we were also down to 10 men. Was our only real outlet in the second half.

He'll be even better when he has Shaw behind him, we have a proper striker in the middle and when we no longer philosophy.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
One of his issues is that he's an actual footballer who can dribble past people, control a ball whilst being marked, turn on the ball, lift his feet quickly...

It's all too much for his heavy-footed clogger 'trudging in mud' 'can't even turn faster than a snail without a football at their feet, let alone with one' team-mates. He needs actual proper footballers with him.
Players who are good enough with a football that they can actually fathom other players being able to control a quick, zippy pass and attempt it.

Bwuk

He's our best player, and by some distance (bar De Gea).

ottosec

Probably the best young talent in the world, but he still has a lot to learn. His off the ball movement is really poor, I think that's the main reason why he sometimes does better when he plays on the wing.

Bwuk

I think Shaw is slightly better.
Shaw had a few good games at the start of this season, he couldn't get in the side last. I agree he's a top talent but Martial is Balon d'Or level potential.

Madrid will be out for him in a few years to replace Benzema.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think Shaw is slightly better.
To be fair we don't know a level that Shaw is on right now. Hopefully this injury will just be a slight break in his development and not a serious issue but we can't assume that he will return to us as good as he was in August - September.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
At half time I'll admit I was questioning him as well, he looked disinterested and generally a bit sulky

Second half he was a lot better and everything positive he did he pretty much did on his own

Timdbro

Got my motm award; he's one of the few things that definitely aren't wrong with us.

NoPace

Shaw had a few good games at the start of this season, he couldn't get in the side last. I agree he's a top talent but Martial is Balon d'Or level potential.

Madrid will be out for him in a few years to replace Benzema.
I meant at the moment. Martial has more potential and plays a more crucial position.

But right now, I think Shaw, if healthy, is a bit more productive. Martial looks great out there, but he's got 3 goals in 17 starts up top. You can only be so good as a 9 with those kinds of numbers. 4G + 2A in 10 starts is pretty damn solid, though. That's basically the rate Sanchez produced last year from the wing, and quite tough to do.

So, to give you an idea of where I'm coming from I'd say Shaw is like an 8.5 at LB and Martial is an 8 at LW and a 7 as a lone striker.

Liverpool 2:0 Man Utd

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So, when he's supposed to start giving a feck about this game? Wtf is happening, is he playing injured or what?

Trizy

So, when he's supposed to start giving a feck about this game? Wtf is happening, is he playing injured or what?
We can't get in their half and when we do the ball is either hoofed his direction or he's up there on his own.. what do you want him to do ffs?

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
We can't get in their half and when we do the ball is either hoofed his direction or he's up there on his own.. what do you want him to do ffs?
To run maybe? To press?

Criticsm has nothing to do with his on ball quality, he can hardly do anything at all, but he is standing most of the time like he is injured.

RedStarUnited

Woeful recently.
How is he meant to be playing well when Memphis next to him aint doing shit for him?

Everything decent we have done going forward has been with Martial getting on the ball.

He should play wide until we have a suitable wide player.

CG1010

He is not providing with an outlet at all. Very poor half. We should switch Rashford and Martial.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I didn't bump the thread for people to criticise him only because he showed nothing because he obviously can't do everything alone, but I am surprised by his lack of effort, especially in the first 20-25 minutes where he was lazy(maybe even instructed?) just to stroll around and don't do any pressing or chase the ball at all, and his synchronisation with our other players was terrible, so many times they played to ball to his feet only for him to completely ignore it and turn his back and run in other direction. Really weird.

RedStarUnited

He did it all by himself earlier in the season so it's quite strange how he has been playing.
When we had players actually passing the ball to him you mean? Every ball today is launched towards him. We have had 25% of the ball in that half.

Dobbs

Needs to make himself a target. He's off on his bike looking for a though ball when it's never on.

Bojan11

Barebones support. Mata and Fellaini taking years to reach him. Rashford is playing as fullback basically.

RedStarUnited

I am not sure I bumped the thread for people to criticise him only because he showed nothing because he obviously can't do everything alone, but I am surprised by his lack of effort, especially in the first 20-25 minutes where he was lazy(maybe even instructed?) just to stroll around and don't do any pressing or chase the ball at all, and his synchronisation with our other players was terrible, so many times they played to ball to his feet only for him to completely ignore it and turn his back and run in other direction. Really weird.
Im pretty sure its a tactic because NO ONE is our team is pressing Liverpool from the front. There not much of a point Martial trying to press vs 3 players.

Jinn

Needs to play on the left. Push rashford up front and Memphis on the right. Worth a shot.

Bwuk

He hasn't had the ball. Whenever he gets it he looks dangerous.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I think Messi is the one player who could have made a difference in Martial's position today. Maybe Drogba with his sheer power.
Are we already expecting those levels from Martial?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Needs to play on the left. Push rashford up front and Memphis on the right. Worth a shot.
Worth a try, but with a non existent midfield.... probably won't make much of a difference

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Why should he press when it's clearly not what Van Gaal has told the players to do? We've been fecking abysmal in defense and midfield and our wingers are playing as wing-backs, yet people are getting on Martial's back, who had to come up against 5 Liverpool players at once when the ref gave the advantage. I just don't get it. He hasn't been at his best recently, but it's pointless signaling him out in this game.

He was also our best outfield player against WBA. How has he been "awful" recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.