g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Anthony Martial image 9

Anthony Martial France flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Have any of our attackers done well under LVG? Martial was the outlier for a while but he seems to have fallen into line now.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Have any of our attackers done well under LVG? Martial was the outlier for a while but he seems to have fallen into line now.
Yeah. You could put Pele up front, but he'd be hard pressed to do much given he'd see the ball about five times per match, and be utterly isolated each time he's fortunate enough to see the ball.

binary bot
feel sorry for him, nothing he could do tonight. Isolated and doubled up on with no support.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I should qualify (as I will with every player) that the set-up didn't help him at all. But yeah, he was dreadful even during those rare moments he did get hold of the ball.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Has to get so bloody deep just to get on the ball and then by some miracle hope that the dross around him in attack can play proper one-twos. It's painful to watch.

Skills

Snitch
Was only a matter of time before he was infested. Surprised it took so long.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How is it that whoever plays as a striker loses form! Rooney was in decent form before he replaced RVP, and same for Martial. I've said it earlier, I'd say it again- LVG is a hopeless manager for strikers

Dobbs

How is it that whoever plays as a striker loses form! Rooney was in decent form before he replaced RVP, and same for Martial. I've said it earlier, I'd say it again- LVG is a hopeless manager for strikers
Here's the reason. All the strikers have either been past their best or nowhere near their peak. 30 and over or under 20. A crazy situation to be in.

There's no analysis of Martial needed. At his age with his inexperience what are we all expecting of him tonight?

Ludens the Red

Expected loss of form.

Young player, who we ended up pinning all our hopes on too soon because everyone else is completely useless. Has hardly had a break and it's clearly taking an effect.
He also knows he doesn't have to fight to start a game because again, everyone else is so completely useless.

I'd give him a rest for at least a month to be honest, think our season will be done and dusted this time next week anyway so let the boy sit it out for a bit.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Here's the reason. All the strikers have either been past their best or nowhere near their peak. 30 and over or under 20. A crazy situation to be in.
Yes, but the striker just doesn't lose form this suddenly. Rooney was good and people wanted him as striker till the point RVP was starting, Once Rooney became our #9, Rooney loses form, and similar case with Martial

paulscholes18

1st touch was vile, yes Memphis pass had some pace on it but needed to better then what he did

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
No service at all. Midfield absolutely dominated.

Irrational.

He's faded badly. I'm not surprised really, there's no confidence in the team.

LVG will ensure players like him don't succeed. We saw that with Rashford tonight too. Too much shackling of creative freedom.

Dobbs

Yes, but the striker just doesn't lose form this suddenly. Rooney was good and people wanted him as striker till the point RVP was starting, Once Rooney became our #9, Rooney loses form, and similar case with Martial
Reluctant to go into a Rooney debate but he's clearly nowhere near the player he was at 25. Falcao isn't even a footballer anymore and RVP is now playing at a much lower standard. Not their fault, it's the ageing process.

They needed replacing but we chose to do it with a 19 year old with 50 career appearances.

It's not that LvG ruins strikers, it's that he's made terrible decisions with purchases and selections.

Walters_19_MuFc

Non-existent when he plays up top. Not his fault, though. No service whatsoever. When he does get service, he takes too many touches because he's been starved.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Put him on the left and Rashford up top and get Memphis the feck out of the team unless we play the likes of Brugge or Midtittyland.

Brophs

The One and Only
He needs a proper manager to work with him. He's getting into bad habits (taking waaaaaay too much out of the ball being one of them). A season or two with a proper manager who lets him play would do wonders at his age. He could be an amazing footballer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Predictable that he'd fade eventually with Van Gaal. Was a testament to his quality how long he actually looked like a quality player despite Van Gaal being in charge. He'll be a class player, and we'll be fine again as a team... Just once Van Gaal moves on.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Why does no one ever talk about his reluctance to make runs when we on a counter. I accept the attacks has too many holes for it to get him properly functional but he has to stop strolling when we are on a counter.

Sylar

Hes 20 right? No surprise that hes some what fading out given the lack of rest (being injured isnt rest btw)

Non-existent when he plays up top. Not his fault, though. No service whatsoever. When he does get service, he takes too many touches because he's been starved.
I dont fully agree cos he scored something like 4 goals in 4 games when he came in. Then when Rooney came back he was shifted out and then got like 4 in the next 16 games or something (dont quote me on that).

I honestly think if hes been Vangaaled. He seriously is not getting the help he needs in this team and its the changing of positions, formations etc that is affecting him as well as others.

The White Pele

In hindsight we should have started with the system we started the second half with. We had much better control until we gave the stupid second goal away and Martial was more involved.

stevoc

So, when he's supposed to start giving a feck about this game? Wtf is happening, is he playing injured or what?
To be honest i have felt for a while that he doesn't work nearly as hard as he should do in some games. A lot of the time if a ball doesn't fall perfectly at his feet he just lets it go instead of chasing it down and trying to make something out of it.

Though to be fair he might be knackered as he's played way more than he would have done if we had half decent attacking options.

Between that and trying to over complicate things by trying to dribble around 5-6 players when a simple give and go would be more effective. He can be frustrating to watch at times.

Needs to make himself a target. He's off on his bike looking for a though ball when it's never on.
Yeah that frustrated the feck out of me tonight. In games like this he has to put more effort into holding the ball up to allow his team mates to break forward and support him.

Though to be fair he might be knackered as he's played way more than he would have done if we had half decent attacking options.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Same with Rashford.
Same with Di Maria.
Even Memphis had a few promising games at the start of his MUFC career.
All attackers seem to turned to shit under LVG, after promising starts.

The travesty is Di Maria. How can you make him play bad. Is that even possible? Well, LVG managed it.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Poor tonight, but I think he's not fully fit, or match fit at least. The support he gets is beyond awful.

Womp

idiot
Same with Rashford.
Same with Di Maria.
Even Memphis had a few promising games at the start of his MUFC career.
All attackers seem to turned to shit under LVG, after promising starts.

The travesty is Di Maria. How can you make him play bad. Is that even possible? Well, LVG managed it.
To be fair, ADM playing on the wings has always been very hot and cold, long before he joined us. It was his performances from LCM that were incredible and he was much too fragile to play there consistently in the PL.

Perrick Dubois

Sounds like what Rooney had to do all the time.
Surprise. It comes with how LVG wants the player to play #9 and I am not in the least bit baffle that Martial is struggling as did the list of other players who have played #9 for us. If you aren't a tireless machine who can play two positions at once at a high level like Olic, or a 6'5" beast who can hold the ball up and intricately lay it off with interplay around the area like Gomez then you're on a hiding to nothing playing up front for Van Gaal.

Martial is so very obviously not a #9 yet. He creates a huge problem at left forward because he is quite clearly worlds above Depay when it comes to using the ball on the flank and getting into scoring positions from what we've seen this season. I think he should definitely be playing on the left for the next couple of seasons at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.