Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
He's better on the left, but he's been feeding off scraps since the Watford game. He had to make the most out of Blind's brainless hoofballs against WBA and still had a couple of nice moments where he showed his quality.

About yesterday - can't really fault him. His first touch let him down on a couple of occasions, but we were embarrassing all over the pitch (and on the bench), so can't really blame the #9. We were never close to creating a decent goalscoring chance.

I agree he needs a rest, though.

foolsgold

He'll be fine, we've asked far too much of him this year. He needs a holiday to de-stress and come back clean for next year.

I hope he doesn't make the French squad for Euro 2016, a month on the beach will do him the world of good.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He doesn't really know how to play as a true 9 yet, but what 19-20 year old really does. You have to be playing the game for a good few years to lead the line on your own and not be wasteful in possession and an attacking threat. Was getting dragged under the ball every time, not that lumping it up to him was a good idea anyway, and his touch was way off. Needs a rest, could really do with another striker to protect him when he's not having the best game.

Dobbs

I don't really get all these calls for a rest. He's just had a little break.

It's not fatigue affecting his performances it's that he's just turned 20. We're seeing the inconsistency that we all expected.

What's annoying is that before his injury he was in very good form on the left. Since he's come back he's been rotated between right wing and centre forward.

It's maddening stuff from LvG. Nearly two years in and nobody in the front six has a set role.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

It's not fatigue affecting his performances it's that he's just turned 20. We're seeing the inconsistency that we all expected.

What's annoying is that before his injury he was in very good form on the left. Since he's come back he's been rotated between right wing and centre forward.

It's maddening stuff from LvG. Nearly two years in and nobody in the front six has a set role.
Di Maria *cough cough*

Treble

The chemistry between him and the other attacking players has been generally poor. Don't know whether it is down to tactics, different styles of play but something in the communication between them is seriously wrong.

Martial wasn't good on the ball last night and looked a bit languid at times but this has more to do with him being overused this season. We've relied too much on him in too many games. The same is with Smalling. They were our best outfield players but now look a bit knackered.

Treble

Naah,he hasn't been properly rotated. Being out due to an injury after being used 5-6 months without a rest isn't a genuine break. That's not enough. Rotation is key in keepeing palyers in good form both physically and mentally.

Dobbs

Naah,he hasn't been properly rotated. Being out due to an injury after being used 5-6 months without a rest isn't a genuine break. That's not enough. Rotation is key in keepeing palyers in good form both physically and mentally.
He was playing really well before his injury, no signs of fatigue, then had a two week break. Since coming back he's been a bit off. He's worse after having a rest. So putting it down to being tired doesn't make sense.

Treble

He was playing really well before his injury, no signs of fatigue, then had a two week break. Since coming back he's been a bit off. He's worse after having a rest. So putting it down to being tired doesn't make sense.
He had some excellent moments now and then but he wasn't all that against Chelsea and Sunderland. He almost disappeared in the second half vs Sunderland. The signs were there.

Dobbs

He had some excellent moments now and then but he wasn't all that against Chelsea and Sunderland. He almost disappeared in the second half vs Sunderland. The signs were there.
He was excellent against Derby and Stoke at the beginning of Feb. Decent against Chelsea and then scored a very good goal against Sunderland. Second half he was switched to right wing. I think that's why he disappeared.

Since then he's had a two week break. Do you think he's been better or worse since he came back?

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Does anyone know how long VanGaalitis lasts for? Hopefully he's only got a light bout of the disease...

Treble

Do you think he's been better or worse after a two week break?
He had injury problems. It wasn't a proper rest for him, he wasn't being rotated in order to be kept fresh. I explained already above. It is one thing to play 5-6 months without being rested and to get a break due to an injury or being in the red zone; and it is quite another thing to be properly rotated during the season.

NoLogo

Looks tired somewhat. Also gets marked by like 2-3 players these days as soon as he has the ball. Would be great if opposition fans couldn't just concentrate on him to make us look toothless in attack but that's how it is.

Dobbs

He had injury problems. It wasn't a proper rest for him, he wasn't being rotated in order to be kept fresh. I explained already above. It is one thing to play 5-6 months without being rested and to get a break due to an injury or being in the red zone; and it is quite another thing to be properly rotated during the season.
I get your point about being rotated and rested throughout the season.

However he has just gone two weeks without a game, that's still a rest. I think it's evident he's been worse since coming back from that rest.

He's just a young player having the fluctuations in form you'd expect.

Treble

I get your point about being rotated and rested throughout the season.

However he has just gone two weeks without a game, that's still a rest. I think it's evident he's been worse since coming back from that rest.

He's just a young player having the fluctuations in form you'd expect.
That may be part of the reason why he has been a bit underwhelming at times, too.

WhoDaGOAT

He's facing the prospect of a 60+ game season when you include Euro 2016. He's been used far too often this season.

Suffering from serious burnout.

He will need to shake thing up though, defenders are learning how he plays and he will need to combat that.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He's looked really unhappy on the pitch recently. I would too if I was being asked to follow this shit philosophy.

Eddy_JukeZ

Better today. It doesn't help that Rojo rarely provides the overlap.

Constantly faces 2 defenders. Shaw back would be a huge boost to our attack.

acnumber9

His best game in a while now. It's a shame we rely on a youngster to rescue us.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
One of the few players who looked to make something happen in a game where we created little for much of it.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He was average until Bastian arrived on the pitch and seemingly turned the match around. Considering he was up against a makeshift RB, I was expecting more of him.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Was our only attacking player who looked he could make something happen. Glad he got that goal.

Devil may care

Good performance, he linked well around the box and looked the most likely to score for us, then scored and excellent goal from a move that he started and finished. No 20 year old should be relied on as he is at a club with our resources IMO.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not his best game but got a hugely important goal and as always looked our one attacker with top class ability.

In those last 5 minutes I wish it was him and not Memphis in all that space on the left.

criticalanalysis

Absolutely amazing talent. The maturity of his game and decision making (apart from in shooting situations, which lets him down badly) is a very high level.

He worked his socks off today defensively AND offensively. He constantly faced double/triple teams in the first half and regularly received the ball near the half way line than closer to the penalty area and still kept possession well, offering an outlet etc etc.

So much understated work that your typical Fifa playing fan don't see, 'he's a player with pace and trickery, why isn't he running behind and setting up goals like he's Robben?', such bs.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Absolutely amazing talent. The maturity of his game and decision making (apart from in shooting situations, which lets him down badly) is a very high level.

He worked his socks off today defensively AND offensively. He constantly faced double/triple teams in the first half and regularly received the ball near the half way line than closer to the penalty area and still kept possession well, offering an outlet etc etc.

So much understated work that your typical Fifa playing fan don't see, 'he's a player with pace and trickery, why isn't he running behind and setting up goals like he's Robben?', such bs.
And he's only going to get better over the next few years. I do think we're overplaying him though - at his age he should be rested far more.

Let's hope we can keep hold of him with no UCL football.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
He's one of the few reasons i've still enjoyed watching united play this season.

bucky

He was average until Bastian arrived on the pitch and seemingly turned the match around. Considering he was up against a makeshift RB, I was expecting more of him.
He looks tired to be fair.

Acole9

Outstanding
Is he the only player capable of getting shots on target and scoring goals in this team? It looks that way, imagine if we had add a couple more quality attacking players how much more of a threat he could be.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
I think Martial will start to excel further when he is surrounded with better players and more movement in the final third. Majority of the current players are far too static which creates no space for other individuals on the pitch.

Trizy

I think Martial will start to excel further when he is surrounded with better players and more movement in the final third. Majority of the current players are far too static which creates no space for other individuals on the pitch.
This.

m1y2

he wasn't good in the first half, his dribbling was way off, if it was lingard he would be called to be sold, he got better in the second half and scored which is always nice for a striker, still think he needs to work hard to become a proper no9, he's curerntly much more effective from the left wing but maybe it's the lack of quality on wings that put us in a situation like this when we need to play him on the left to have at least one player who can beat a man, I wouldn't certainly mind to play him from the left even next year, it's good for him to get on the ball as much as possible and we should try to sign Kane/Lukaku as our new no9, they are more suited to that role, Martial can tear teams from the left and from the right we would do with Griezmann who could be also great backup striker, Martial-Kane-Griezmann = some firepower, Martial-Lukaku-Griezmann doesnt sound bad either and is way more realistic though..

khoazany

I'm his fan but I don't get how this is called a good performance - certainly not by his standard.His dribbling was a bit off.

I would love to rest him when we can to avoid fatigue.

RedStarUnited

People forget he is just 20 and this is his first full season, ever.
Calm down, he will have shit games and good ones.

Footyislife

Struggled against a quick wingback without any help on the overlap from Rojo. The issue is in the way our team is set up; doesn't really help ease the burden from the individual player having to create and take multiple players on. Its silly, but i think he played hard and deserved he goal. His decision making needs to improve which is nothing new for a player his age.

Spock

With forwards, you don't expect 90+ minutes of outstanding play. You expect a forward to score when the opportunity presents itself. Martial came through for us today.

But the boy needs rest. It's a shame we can't give it to him right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.