Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
4 years left on a big contract, at a club where he can earn ever increasingly astronomical amounts over his career and at a club where the current manager will soon be leaving and a new manager with a huge budget will take over.
Also, you didn't add that he admitted playing for United being his dream.

Sylar

Was brilliant first half I thought. But I have no idea why we didnt use him more second half or use him to get others free if he was being marked by 2 or 3 guys.

TBH, hes our only outfield threat.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Was surprised how he got up and got the ball for the penalty, shows great character. Seems he is getting more comfortable game by game.

We have a great talent on our hands, and if we can't build around him it would be such a waste.

Also, if we had used him more in isolation with clyne second half, he would've created or gotten him sent off.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As a young talent at Manchester United, he is up there with Rooney and Ronaldo for me. The kid is simply a phenomenal talent. He's got magic in his feet, a smart footballing brain, an eye for a pass, a good finish, good hold up play, pace, pretty much the lot. He also seems to be a very composed young man. In most big games this season, he's done well. He's done well against Liverpool, was the best player against City, in the do or die game vs Wolfsburg he stepped up with the first goal, and even against Chelsea he was the best attacker on the pitch (definitely ours).

While I've always thought should be a CF for us, his ability on the ball might just be too good for that. I still feel his hold up play is miles better than Rooney or Rashford or Wilson, so maybe rotating will be apt.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
The highlight of our season. Can't wait to see him play for a different manager with better players and tactics which will ensure he has more space and chances to do his thing. Most of the time he's feeding off scraps/aimless hoofballs and is constantly being double or tripple marked. No surprises there, though...who'd bother marking Mata or Lingard?

amolbhatia50k

The highlight of our season. Can't wait to see him play for a different manager with better players and tactics which will ensure he has more space and chances to do his thing. Most of the time he's feeding off scraps/aimless hoofballs and is constantly being double or tripple marked. No surprises there, though...who'd bother marking Mata or Lingard?
:lol:

We do need to sort this out. Martial has 2-3 defenders on him all the time. We need some sort of threat from the other side.

Perrick Dubois

It is kinda the case for all attacking players really. It is just that Martial's gifts on the ball are almost godly.

I hope we play him as a left sided forward next season and give him the room to use his gifts. I don't really think he has the space to work his magic when he is at #9.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Was brilliant first half I thought. But I have no idea why we didnt use him more second half or use him to get others free if he was being marked by 2 or 3 guys.

TBH, hes our only outfield threat.
Yep. Kind of makes life easy for the opposition to pluck 2-3 defenders on him. They can leave the rest 1 v 1. Heck, going by the form of most of our players, they can leave themselves 1 v 2 and still look comfortable.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Should be on pen-duty for the rest of his United career.

One of our most composed finishers.
Wouldn't go that far just yet... if the keeper went the right way yesterday he'd have said Martials penalty. It was at a nice height and not right in the corner.

Anyway, it's amazing how shite we are when we have this absolute gem of a player out our disposal. It's a true testament to LVG really.

amolbhatia50k

Yep. Kind of makes life easy for the opposition to pluck 2-3 defenders on him. They can leave the rest 1 v 1. Heck, going by the form of most of our players, they can leave themselves 1 v 2 and still look comfortable.
:lol: :(

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
It is kinda the case for all attacking players really. It is just that Martial's gifts on the ball are almost godly.

I hope we play him as a left sided forward next season and give him the room to use his gifts. I don't really think he has the space to work his magic when he is at #9.
Yeah, I agree. I used to think he's better as a number 9, but his running at defenders is far to good to not use him on the left. I feel he's too isolated when playing up front, so he's more useful on the left in Van Gaal's "tactics". Things could be entirely different under another manager, though.

amolbhatia50k

Yeah, I agree. I used to think he's better as a number 9, but his running at defenders is far to good to not use him on the left. I feel he's too isolated when playing up front, so he's more useful on the left in Van Gaal's "tactics". Things could be entirely different under another manager, though.
Agree. I'd like to see him rotating between the two roles under the next managing. Under LVG keep him LW so that he gets more of the ball.

Perrick Dubois

Swinging in off the left he is devastating. He's literally flamethrowere'd about 6 right left backs this season. We must work on his tactical positions that he takes up in the off season and work on building his end product to complement the attacking unit and when to be selfish and when not to.

I mean, the guy is just an other worldly fantastic player and it has been a real shame that this has been such a shit of a season that it has almost eclipsed how bright Martial's talent is.

When you contrast it with Depay I think Depay has better reading of where his positioning is supposed to move him around on the field. He pops up and commands the space a bit better than Martial in my opinion but his work on the ball is usually "head down and just run as hard and as fast on the ball at goal as possible" where as Martial is always scanning, always looking around and will use subtlety to complement his pace, skill and speed.

Not to roast Depay, but I would like to see them both work on their game at left forward in the off season and come back stronger players for it.

Last edited:

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Swinging in off the left he is devastating. He's literally flamethrowere'd about 6 left backs this season. We must work on his tactical positions that he takes up in the off season and work on building his end product to complement the attacking unit and when to be selfish and when not to.

I mean, the guy is just an other worldly fantastic player and it has been a real shame that this has been such a shit of a season that it has almost eclipsed how bright Martial's talent is.

When you contrast it with Depay I think Depay has better reading of where his positioning is supposed to move him around on the field. He pops up and commands the space a bit better than Martial in my opinion but his work on the ball is usually "head down and just run as hard and as fast on the ball at goal as possible" where as Martial is always scanning, always looking around and will use subtlety to complement his pace, skill and speed.

Not to roast Depay, but I would like to see them both work on their game at left forward in the off season and come back stronger players for it.
What really annoys me with both Martial and Memphis is that they never play off the shoulder and try make the run behind the full back. They always take the ball to feet and slow down the attack. They both have the pace to break the offside trap too
I can only presume it's the managers instructions as Memphis used to score loads of goals in the channels for psv. Memphis has better movement than martial also... But his touch,decisions and dribbling are nowhere near Martials.

Perrick Dubois

What really annoys me with both Martial and Memphis is that they never play off the shoulder and try make the run behind the full back. They always take the ball to feet and slow down the attack. They both have the pace to break the offside trap too
I can only presume it's the managers instructions as Memphis used to score loads of goals in the channels for psv. Memphis has better movement than martial also... But his touch,decisions and dribbling are nowhere near Martials.
Well, I can only assume that it is either not the directive or that it is part of Van Gaal's passing philosophy that has rendered that type of play out of the play book. They really should do it more, Memphis especially. But as they have to drop more to support I guess we see them getting on the shoulder a lot less. I can only theorize that a lot of our players don't make those runs because barely anybody attempts those passes from deeper.

Also, ninja edit your quote because I meant to say "Martial torched right backs", not left backs. :)

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
12 Goals & 7 Assists in 38 in his first season at age 20 with a counter-productive style, incompetent manager and a dreadful team whilst playing mostly LW, (and sometimes ST and RW)

Would be fantastic if he ends his first season with 15.

Coxy

12 Goals & 7 Assists in 38 in his first season at age 20 with a counter-productive style, incompetent manager and a dreadful team whilst playing mostly LW, (and sometimes ST and RW)

This. You guys have got a real star in the making. Hope you hold on to him (you're not as mighty as you once were you know ;) ) and get a positive manager in who can utilise martial properly.

RedStarUnited

Memphis its even more annoying because he hasn't got the ability to beat players or hold up the ball like Martial.

Watching Neymar, this has probably been his most improved aspect of the game at Barcelona. He is consistently making runs in behind. Although, playing for Barcelona its a lot easier to be a willing runner because you know they have players who will try and most of the time find you with the right pass.

Norris

From the earlier parts of the season, most opposition teams used to defend deep, so there usually wasn't much space to run into anyways. But recently, I think that has changed. Martial always tries to beat the offside trap when running into the channels from what I have seen. Even in the pool game, you could see Martial and Rashford regularly doing that. Memphis obviously hasn't played enough in recent games to really merit a more current discussion.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
We've got no one who can make those passes... I don't blame them for not running in behind.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Some more from that interview in the MEN: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ester-united-anthony-martial-ronaldo-11065268

“I am a striker but I love playing wide,"

"The main thing is wherever I play I enjoy it and help the team.

"I must continue to work hard in training. I need to think more like a goalscorer, sometimes I get so immersed in the game because I love general play so much.

"Someone like Cristiano Ronaldo focuses on scoring to progress, so perhaps I need to think more about scoring."

----

"I don't go out a lot as I like to stay in," he said.

"I often go for dinners with my girlfriend and I love to see movies at the cinema but I don't understand them. We go for walks and to the shops."

Martial told Sky Sports' Geoff Shreeves the last film he saw was the 1986 cult David Bowie film Labyrinth.

criticalanalysis

Going to read/watch the interview later but it shows the incredible self awareness and maturity of this lad judging by the quotes above.

We've side stepped the poorer aspects of his game because it's so obvious the talent he has AND shows on the pitch but for him to realise, he needs to be more effective than pretty i.e playing on the shoulder, playing a one-two instead of stopping the ball and dribbling from a standstill, looking for more goals (in turn that will open up space for his dribbles etc) is amazing.

Seriously can't wait til we get Shaw fit again and have a manager, who recognises this. Oh and to get rid of Rooney.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Such a class interview that, seems happy here although staying in all the time won't do much for him, wonder if he's good mates with anyone in the team yet?

Haddock

Such a class interview that, seems happy here although staying in all the time won't do much for him, wonder if he's good mates with anyone in the team yet?
As a Bowie Fan he would tell you he knows when to go out and when to stay in.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Such is our weird links with Cavani every year and the general shit house nature of our board and it's member, I hope to God there is nowt in the rumours about the Cavani swap deal

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Hernandez scored 20 goals in 42 appearances his first season. He is pretty close to that. Martial is younger as well and playing in such an ill-flowing attack.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Such is our weird links with Cavani every year and the general shit house nature of our board and it's member, I hope to God there is nowt in the rumours about the Cavani swap deal
Of course there's nothing in the rumours.

Jacob

I just saw his interview with Geoff. I think Anthony is my soul mate. We both look indifferent on the outside, love to stay at home or go to the movies. He also seems like a genuinely kind guy who puts other before himself. Would bang.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Niall Quinn has just said that he's flattered to deceive. :eek:

Souness completely overruled him and said "Nahhh" mid sentence. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.