Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
More likely Martial will be called upon again with 20 minutes to go in a game soon and he's more than capable of stepping up when asked.
Except the nature of the tournament might prevent that from happening. They have one more group game, which they need to win if they want to top their group and avoid a tough opponent in the first elimination round. So Deschmaps will first and foremost stick with those who brought him victories, meaning Griezmann and Pogba. That'll be even more so in the elimination rounds because it's do-or-die and given the pressure on the French NT to win the tournament, he'd be foolish to not throw what he deems to be the best lineup out there.

When it comes to substitutions, Coman has proven himself to be better so far in this tournament and will rightfully be trusted more in pressure situations. Gignac seems to be the preferred choice to replace Giroud up front as he is more similar to him than a guy like Martial. Given that Payet has played a good tournament so far and Griezmann has had a good performance against Albania, it's only normal to believe Martial will have a tough time getting on the pitch for more than 5 to 10 minutes.

Of course one could counter that Deschamps knows about Martial's qualities and abilities, but when he has to win a tournament, who is he gonna trust first and foremost?

As for the halftime substitution, I generally don't deem it a problem when it's at the club level because there are simply so many games to be played where you can prove yourself. But in this kind of tournament, you could've given the kid a few more minutes in the second half to see if he can't turn it around. I think Deschamps panicked and wanted to return to his proven system, so given that Martial was apparently worse than Coman and Payet in the first half, he was the one to be taken off.

NotQuiteManc

I didnt watch the game but I did notice that he looked fatigued in the FA cup final. I guess he played too many games.

Plus that Hysaj fella looks more than decent. Left footed right back. Pretty rare I think. There were rumours that Bayern has been looking at him as well.

RedStarUnited

Except the nature of the tournament might prevent that from happening. They have one more group game, which they need to win if they want to top their group and avoid a tough opponent in the first elimination round. So Deschmaps will first and foremost stick with those who brought him victories, meaning Griezmann and Pogba. That'll be even more so in the elimination rounds because it's do-or-die and given the pressure on the French NT to win the tournament, he'd be foolish to not throw what he deems to be the best lineup out there.

When it comes to substitutions, Coman has proven himself to be better so far in this tournament and will rightfully be trusted more in pressure situations. Gignac seems to be the preferred choice to replace Giroud up front as he is more similar to him than a guy like Martial. Given that Payet has played a good tournament so far and Griezmann has had a good performance against Albania, it's only normal to believe Martial will have a tough time getting on the pitch for more than 5 to 10 minutes.

Of course one could counter that Deschamps knows about Martial's qualities and abilities, but when he has to win a tournament, who is he gonna trust first and foremost?

As for the halftime substitution, I generally don't deem it a problem when it's at the club level because there are simply so many games to be played where you can prove yourself. But in this kind of tournament, you could've given the kid a few more minutes in the second half to see if he can't turn it around. I think Deschamps panicked and wanted to return to his proven system, so given that Martial was apparently worse than Coman and Payet in the first half, he was the one to be taken off.
I always wonder one thing, when discussing two players who have a bad game. Whats worse;

1. Not being involved much in the game, therefore you have limited opportunities to mess up
  2. Being involved a lot, trying different things and those things not working out.
Because Coman fitted in to 1 and Martial was number 2. For me personally, id rather have 2, because if you are good something will eventually work. So if im judging a players game, those who are in the number 1 category are the 'worse' ones.

BigBebe

I always wonder one thing, when discussing two players who have a bad game. Whats worse;

1. Not being involved much in the game, therefore you have limited opportunities to mess up
  2. Being involved a lot, trying different things and those things not working out.
Because Coman fitted in to 1 and Martial was number 2. For me personally, id rather have 2, because if you are good something will eventually work. So if im judging a players game, those who are in the number 1 category are the 'worse' ones.

I agree with this. I prefer Martial making himself available to receive the ball as opposed to Giroud being anonymous apart from a few missed headers.

I think the problem with the French team in the first half was that they were not set up right and Payet, in particular, was out of position. This was fixed to an extent at half time although even then, the French overall did not play well.

I hope that Deschamps has the decency to talk to Martial about this and not let him stew on it as he needs him confident for the rest of the tournament.

Reactions: Duafc
Well I'm glad that I've had an insight into the entirely logical world of the half-time substitution. It's scarcity would suggest you don't quite have the hotline into football's inner sanctum that you've alluded to but you've made your points and we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
HT subs @Eckers99 ;-)

Not that rare, and well worth doing.

And not at all fecking humiliating, gives bench players the full 45 they need, worked twice now in 18 hours.

Vilev

He is not doing well, but the way France play, it benefits Payet and Giroud, but their other attacking players like Pogba, Griezmann even though he did score, Coman do not feel good as well.
Fo example Certainly Pogba has not been the 100m player he is for Juve. So maybe some of the blame for his stale performance is down to tactics, set-up of the team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
To me the Marseille pitch completely ruined his game. We know he's about quick acceleration bursts and quick turns. The fact the pitch kept cutting up so badly it practically meant he couldn't push away with all his speed. He slipped so many times trying to run it was ridiculous.

To me the Marseille pitch completely ruined his game. We know he's about quick acceleration bursts and quick turns. The fact the pitch kept cutting up so badly it practically meant he couldn't push away with all his speed. He slipped so many times trying to run it was ridiculous.
To be fair, I thought this too. Pitch was absolutely horrific and all the players seemed to struggle on it.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I love that a French kid of African descent (I assume) can have such a fecking dirty Manc accent. :keano: :D

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Deschamps really isn't a very good manager.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The French better hope he gets himself together and Deschamps gives him a chance. Can't see them winning the tournament with only Pogba, Payet and an out of form Griezmann providing any threat.

SomeRandomPerson

Honestly, part of me hopes he doesn't play for the rest of the tournament. He's played far too much football this past season. A good rest to recharge the batteries would be good for him.

But then the other part of me thinks he's absolutely box office to watch at his best and France have been quite boring this tournament so maybe him playing would add a bit of spice.

And then these voices, they keep arguing in my head, telling me things: Martial plays, no he doesn't, but he's entertaining, but he needs a rest... Make it stop! Someone please, make it stop! They won't stop fighting!

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Honestly, part of me hopes he doesn't play for the rest of the tournament. He's played far too much football this past season. A good rest to recharge the batteries would be good for him.

But then the other part of me thinks he's absolutely box office to watch at his best and France have been quite boring this tournament so maybe him playing would add a bit of spice.

And then these voices, they keep arguing in my head, telling me things: Martial plays, no he doesn't, but he's entertaining, but he needs a rest... Make it stop! Someone please, make it stop! They won't stop fighting!
With him still training, warming up etc. it's hardly a true break. If he's there, he should play. Otherwise it's just a waste of time for him because neither his body nor his mind can recover. As I've predicted though, Deschamps doesn't seem to trust him that much, so I doubt we'll see more of him other than a short cameo. Instead France uses the likes of Gignac and Giroud up front.

Ephrem

He needs a rest . I dont think France can win the euro with just Payet/Pogba. They will need Martial/Coman in wings making things happen.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Deshamps happy man, Martial's 45 mins against Albania (where most played like shit) gives a valid excuse to avoid starting Martial that plenty of people wanted to happen, I don't think Martial's gonna feature anymore.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Deshamps happy man, Martial's 45 mins against Albania (where most played like shit) gives a valid excuse to avoid starting Martial that plenty of people wanted to happen, I don't think Martial's gonna feature anymore.
Deschamps doesn't play the excuse game, Martial joined the french team with an injury and has been protected since then. And the simple fact that he started against Albania shows that Deschamps rates him.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Deschamps doesn't play the excuse game, Martial joined the french team with an injury and has been protected since then. And the simple fact that he started against Albania shows that Deschamps rates him.
You know better obviously, however all of your attacking players (Payet aside) have played poorly yet keep their places. Imagine Martial playing fabulously against Albania, the pressure would be to drop on of the bigger names which wouldn't have to work too well with the French I assume. Honestly, Martial is partly at blame because of his shocking 45 mins, just unlucky everything panned this way with Griezmann scoring at the last minute and Giroud's 'I don't even know where that header is going' goal.

EDIT: If Martial's still a bit injured/lacks match rhythm then fair enough.

snk123

Are you sure though? Deschamps was visibly infuriated with Martial - that's odd considering more than half the french players were awful.
He gave Martial hardly 10-12 minutes in the first game. He could have given Martial another go for half an hour in the 3rd game considering France were already through but chose not to.

I don't think he's going to gamble and play Martial in the knockout games now?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Are you sure though? Deschamps was visibly infuriated with Martial - that's odd considering more than half the french players were awful.
He gave Martial hardly 10-12 minutes in the first game. He could have given Martial another go for half an hour in the 3rd game considering France were already through but chose not to.

I don't think he's going to gamble and play Martial in the knockout games now?
What is the question?

Edit: Deschamps is extremely pragmatic, he will never play a player that he doesn't rate in the second game of the group stage and we all knew that he would play a weakened team against Switzerland if we were qualified. That's what he did at the World Cup.

Last edited:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Martial will be a bench option for France, but could still have an impact. I mean Gignac hasn't exactly pulled up trees. Giroud will likely start, but could easily see Martial getting minutes from the bench.

RedStarUnited

Its his first tournament, There is no rush. He will be main man at the world cup in 2 years time if it all goes well.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
He had 13 minutes at the end of the first game then played poorly in the second game in which he was hooked off at half time. Since then he's not been given a look in.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's knackered, bar a few matches he looked jaded towards the end of last season. The less matches he plays in this tournament the better for us.

NotQuiteManc

Yes he didn't look as energetic. Pretty lethargic last few games for him really, but I have no doubt he will play his part in this tournament. As super sub most likely against well martial defensive units and when the team needs some driving penetrations. Unlike Spain vs Italy where they really had no other ideas besides playing the short possession game.

kenny19

He's knackered, bar a few matches he looked jaded towards the end of last season. The less matches he plays in this tournament the better for us.
I'm actually starting to agree more with this although I want him playing. It's better for him if he records more goals and assists for france. I would have liked for him to be Frances top goalscorer but oh well.

At least he is training and getting ready for the new season even before he goes on vacation.

Runner

Van Gaal played him in a lot of games for a lot of minutes and relied heavily on him for getting us out of trouble. Very often Martial was the one who gave us a spark to make something happen. He's massively overachieved in his first season above reasonable expectations for his age. Under the guidance and better man management of Mourinho, I think he's got a bright future for us.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm actually starting to agree more with this although I want him playing. It's better for him if he records more goals and assists for france. I would have liked for him to be Frances top goalscorer but oh well.

At least he is training and getting ready for the new season even before he goes on vacation.
Yeah it would've been great if he lit up the tournament but there's still time I suppose.
Will he miss the pre season tour? I bet he probably will so he'll most likely have an iffy start to the season.

Bugshot

Van Gaal played him in a lot of games for a lot of minutes and relied heavily on him for getting us out of trouble. Very often Martial was the one who gave us a spark to make something happen. He's massively overachieved in his first season above reasonable expectations for his age. Under the guidance and better man management of Mourinho, I think he's got a bright future for us.
Few bold statements in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.