5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Footyislife

I understand the logic, but if you watch how Rashford is deployed, that's not at all what he's doing. He's facing and trying to take on 1-on-1 or 1-on-2's for the most part. He's not really running in behind backlines.
Let's be honest here, the only reason Rashford plays wide every game because he's a young English talent which makes him an instant fan favorite with huge marketing potential. No one in their right mind thinks Rashford is a better wing player than Martial after what we saw last season.

Also when you do your best to make your star player from last year, Martial, unhappy and don't manage him properly, poor form is to be expected. Rashford, Lingard, Young have literally done nothing yet get into the squad every game over the likes of better players like Mhki & Martial. For Mourinho it's always a battle between his ego and common sense.

itso 7

I'm not saying to give them away for free. Just recoup some value while their stock is still high, and use that money on players that will be useful to the manager.
Why not just find a manager that can utilize his best players better instead of one that sidelines them? Martial was our best player last season and Mourinho has just led us to our worst ever start so at United Martial has done much more. And what guarantee do you have that Mourinho won't do to those new players what he has done with Shaw, Martial and Mkhitaryan? What if he makes us spend another bucket load of cash on player and then proceeds to completely freeze them out? If Mourinho can not work with our young players, who we acquired at great cost and who were progressing nicely before his arrival then it is he who needs to walk.

Loublaze

ATLien
Mourinho clarified it this week that he's changed the way Martial is to play in the current setup. He has to adapt. While that doesn't make the most sense, the fact that you should play to a player's quality more than fitting them into a system, Martial cannot improve unless he gets match time...same with Mkhitaryan.
I don't like the sound of that but that has been my fear, that Mourinho is trying to change Martial's game the way he did Oscar's at Chelsea. Its taking the joy out of watching the kid in all fairness. You're absolutely spot on Martial shouldn't be changed so much to fit a system, he's a special talent

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He hasn't been playing because he has been lazy on the pitch and isn't working hard. Seems fairly obvious IMO. With younger players like him its important to develop the proper mentality, so I think it's good for him to go through a spell like this and if he reacts properly, he'll come out a better player. Martial is style wise exactly what mourinho loves? but his effort has been a bit shit so far. So its not a huge surprise to see him out of the side. Same reason he hasn't been called up for France and why deschamps his criticized him publically. All the talent in the world, not the determination to utilize it fully so far.

liamp

Let's be honest here, the only reason Rashford plays wide every game because he's a young English talent which makes him an instant fan favorite with huge marketing potential. No one in their right mind thinks Rashford is a better wing player than Martial after what we saw last season.

Also when you do your best to make your star player from last year, Martial, unhappy and don't manage him properly, poor form is to be expected. Rashford, Lingard, Young have literally done nothing yet get into the squad every game over the likes of better players like Mhki & Martial. For Mourinho it's always a battle between his ego and common sense.
I don't think it's as cynical as that. I think Rashford starts over Martial because Mourinho has more faith in him to carry out his instructions. Same reason he starts Lingard over the likes of Martial and Mkhi.

I think it'll come back to haunt him if it hasn't already done so, but I understand why he's doing what he's doing.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
There seemed to be no issues with Martial's attitude under LVG. His work rate, tracking back, drive and character seemed impeccable.

Hopefully Mourinho brings out the best in him soon instead of leaving out of the squad repeatedlt, as players of his talent are hard to come by. It would be a shame if we've shifted to a manager who is handling our biggest future star worse than the previous one.

ti vu

There seemed to be no issues with Martial's attitude under LVG. His work rate, tracking back, drive and character seemed impeccable.

Hopefully Mourinho brings out the best in him soon instead of leaving out of the squad repeatedlt, as players of his talent are hard to come by. It would be a shame if we've shifted to a manager who is handling our biggest future star worse than the previous one.
Just a quick look at the contrast ins style between the 2 managers is easy to identify Martial problem.

Under LVG: track back, retain possession, tens to hundred of pass between the defenders goal keepers until martial get into attacking position in to receive the ball. Martial being afforded the role of one of the main attacker.

Under Mourinho: track back, retain possession, Martial needs to get involve in getting the ball to the front, by linking up/play making from deep/ long distance dribbling, and then expect to find himself in a favored attacking position by smart hard working movement. He needs to seek the ball destination than being the destination for the ball from teammate being not afforded the main man status. You may say only Mata at the moment check all these box, and that's harsh on Martial. The problem with Martial is he checks less boxes than Rashford, Young and Lingard, that's the main problem.

Matial had same issue in France EURO squad. Payet, and even Coman checked more of those boxes and rightfully higher in the pecking order (I and few posters tried to explain all summer).

I don't think it's attitude issue, just a young player needs experience to improve their weaknesses and balance their football life from family life.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
His decision making just isn't quite there. He's got all the tools, he just seems to think a little too long and pick the wrong option too often.

binary bot
He's playing like Nani, going for the jugular with every start. Seems like every player in our team has one match to make it work now and if they make a mistake someone else is in, rinse and repeat. Give him a few matches.

Siorac

Decent from him. If only Ibrahimovic were willing to actually pass to him sometimes.

Fracture90

He's making great runs but he's not getting the ball. Might even scored If Zlatan was willing to pass the ball occasionally instead of always going for it himself.

El Zoido

He's played really well tonight, hopefully this will do his confidence some good.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Still the best winger in the squad.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Get in my son! We've been waiting all fecking season for you to catch fire!

wr8_utd

:'(
If Rashford or Lingard start on the wing over him, Rooney or Mkhi, there's something seriously wrong with Jose.

Kag

Might have been able to do that at the weekend instead of pissing about at home.

Play him and we'll be better for it.

Mike09

He's back!! Not just because he scored two goals but the fact that he's able to beat his men again. He should start against Everton.

mu4c_20le

You could literally see on his face how badly he wanted that goal in the first half. He had to work for it but glad he repaid Jose's faith in him.

Fracture90

He did everything right tonight, making runs with and without the ball, running at defenders, taking them on, dribbling, scoring. Excellent game, goals for confidence boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.