Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
More excited about seeing him play than Pogba and co. Reminds me of when C Ronaldo was just written off when the new golden boy Rewnaayyy xame in the next season. New toy and all.

Feck them new signings, Martial is still the one I feel will be potentially the best of them all.
Me too. I believe he's got more potential than Pogba.

as-95

I think it's going to be hard for him... i don't see Martial lasting in this type of setup. It's not playing to his strengths. Being the second striker to Ibra is a black hole too. Gameiro and Cavani both looked like pub players when playing with Ibra.

Ibra doesn't look at his strike partner as a teammate... but as competition. He ruins them.
What a shit post.

goin4glory

Gameiro and Cavani are strikers who were shoehorned into the side in wide positions. Cavani looks far from his best playing out wide in any team. Ibra style should massively benefit both Martial and Miki.

RedChip

More excited about seeing him play than Pogba and co. Reminds me of when C Ronaldo was just written off when the new golden boy Rewnaayyy xame in the next season. New toy and all.

Feck them new signings, Martial is still the one I feel will be potentially the best of them all.
Reckon the new signings take the pressure right off him; I am expecting a slow start from him but a great season overall.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He played a few times on the flanks, depending on how the team set up. They mainly played 4-3-1-2 with Hamez in the hole and Toulalan holding. If Martial were to play up front with another striker there would be a lot of times that his job was to spread play by drifting to the flanks and linking up. This was the same in the 4-2-2-2 (like a 4-4-2 but the attacking players would spread or the strikers would spread).

He isn't a stranger to playing on the flanks and we saw that last season. You wouldn't say he is a winger but he is a wide forward and probably the most synergy in his game comes from the wide areas and driving at goal.
Martial played on the left, he barely played for Ranieri and Jardim played a 433/4231 during his first season with Toulalan, Moutinho and Kondogbia. The wide options were Dirar, Martial, Carrasco and Bernardo Silva.

This season Jardim plays in 442 and last season he was changing every weeks.

ThanksBoss26

Reckon the new signings take the pressure right off him; I am expecting a slow start from him but a great season overall.
Agreed. There were times last season when he looked the only threat we had. Hopefully others can now share the responsibility.

NYAS

Fortunately, from what I've seen of him during the summer (Euros & pre-season), it seems like the reason his performances have dipped has simply been a lack of sharpness/slight fatigue after last season. I don't believe his off-the-pitch issues are affecting his mentality because he had no problems displaying confidence in those games by attempting to take defenders on, especially going around the outside of defences towards the byline. Instead, it just looked like his touch was slightly off, overran some dribbles and played some close passes that were too short...things like that.
His mental strength is clearly one of his best qualities so it doesn't really make sense to believe that he won't handle the pressure of his second season (if it's even comparable to his first), or that his personal relationship issues are affecting his performances.
Hopefully with more game-time and better fitness we'll see him get back to the level he was playing at last season or even better. He'll be an extremely important player for us, especially if Mkhitaryan starts over Young and/or Lingard.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You guys should not forget he is recovering from hamstring problems.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You guys should not forget he is recovering from hamstring problems.
This, he was apparenly injured when he joined the french team and he looked knackered.

sportsczy

Supports
Real Madrid
The issues with Cavani and Gameiro weren't that they couldn't play wide, although it was clearly not their best position... Firstly, it was that Ibra dezoned everywhere and they ended being lost a lot positionally. And most importantly, Ibra would get demonstratively angry if he didn't get the ball. Ibra was the star on the attack, so the other players and the manager complied. Those two got very few touches when they played with Ibra. Hard to do anything when your touches are very low and you're not playing instinctively.

That's what I'll be looking for with Martial. Is he going to get his touches? Will he float positionally because Ibra is dezoning all over the place? The advantage Martial has over the aforementioned is that he is much better technically and he can run with the ball at his feet (in fact he prefers it). The other two relied on movement and making precise runs... they weren't able to.

I think Mourinho is a strong enough manager to force Ibra to play more for the team shape and less for his own personal comfort. But we will see. I don't think it will be that easy. If Ibra doesn't get the stats or the notoriety he craves, he will force the issue.

I will say that I think Martial has a good chance of working out with Ibra. But I am concerned. It's not easy. The partnerships with other strikers at PSG did not work at all.

Perrick Dubois

Martial played on the left, he barely played for Ranieri and Jardim played a 433/4231 during his first season with Toulalan, Moutinho and Kondogbia. The wide options were Dirar, Martial, Carrasco and Bernardo Silva.

This season Jardim plays in 442 and last season he was changing every weeks.
Fair points.

Jaybomb

He's probably doing it for attention. He said Rojo is better than Smalling.
Doing what for attention? Martial is out tomorrow with personal issues. What's wrong with wanting to see Depay take his place? :confused:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The issues with Cavani and Gameiro weren't that they couldn't play wide, although it was clearly not their best position... Firstly, it was that Ibra dezoned everywhere and they ended being lost a lot positionally. And most importantly, Ibra would get demonstratively angry if he didn't get the ball. Ibra was the star on the attack, so the other players and the manager complied. Those two got very few touches when they played with Ibra. Hard to do anything when your touches are very low and you're not playing instinctively.

That's what I'll be looking for with Martial. Is he going to get his touches? Will he float positionally because Ibra is dezoning all over the place? The advantage Martial has over the aforementioned is that he is much better technically and he can run with the ball at his feet (in fact he prefers it). The other two relied on movement and making precise runs... they weren't able to.

I think Mourinho is a strong enough manager to force Ibra to play more for the team shape and less for his own personal comfort. But we will see. I don't think it will be that easy. If Ibra doesn't get the stats or the notoriety he craves, he will force the issue.

I will say that I think Martial has a good chance of working out with Ibra. But I am concerned. It's not easy. The partnerships with other strikers at PSG did not work at all.
Cavani and Gameiro were forced to play as wide attackers when it wasn't their best and most natural position (Cavani gets unfairly treated tbh as he has done more than alright with Ibrahimovic as part of the attacking trio) but Martial is another case altogether. He's best with space in front of him and running at defenders, just like he showed at Monaco, just like he showed for Manchester United and just like he showed for France.
Cavani had no problems with Ibra and some stats even showed that he was scoring more goals with Ibra present than absent.

prath92

Doing what for attention? Martial is out tomorrow with personal issues. What's wrong with wanting to see Depay take his place? :confused:
Is he not playing ? Surprising. Jose said everyone was available save Mike and Pogba

Adisa

Martial out with personal issues? Are you just making stuff up?

Adisa

His ex has an interview with the Sun. Never good when personal issues are displayed in public.
She says her relationship with Anthony changed when he joined Man Utd because he became very famous.
The Sun makes it sound like she's blaming us. But from my little understanding of French, some of her words are being twisted. Cnuntish as usual.
He has a good interview with l'eauippe. Will post it as soon as I can.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He has brilliant ideas but teammates just don't follow up on them.

Tiber

Love seeing Martial run through the middle. We are wasting him on the wing

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Yeah looked decent today. A goal will do him the world of good I feel.

Bubz27

Love seeing Martial run through the middle. We are wasting him on the wing
Said the same earlier. Very rare to have strikers with his dribbling. He'd cause CB so many problems. Let's just hope a season or two out wide and he's back there.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Very good in the 2nd half. Easy to forget with the new signings that we have the best young player in the world already.

Tiber

Said the same earlier. Very rare to have strikers with his dribbling. He'd cause CB so many problems. Let's just hope a season or two out wide and he's back there.

Rashford and Martial in the middle wojld give defenders nightmares

Bubz27

Rashford and Martial in the middle wojld give defenders nightmares
We could do some fancy Pep shit and have the two drift out wide to left and right. Have a CB join the attack or some crazy shit. Unplayable.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's had a brilliant second half. No chance he is going to be disappointing this season

MounchesterUtd

Great response after the media had a field day about him supposedly being pissed off at getting the no. 11 shirt.

sportsczy

Supports
Real Madrid
2 assists... the other was the Mata fluke goal. So yeah, i'd say he was influential. Only player who seemed capable of breaking lines and getting past opposing players.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Not the best game from him but still got two assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.