6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

redIndianDevil

He is obviously a very good player but he seems to not know whats expected of him. You would think that someone with his pace a dribbling ability would have been allowed to take on Joe Gomez at least a couple of times but he was totally subdued. Was that instructions from Mourinho or did he just have a poor game going forward.
Definitely Mourinho's instructions, he only received the ball very few number of times and as soon as he got the ball, Liverpool defenders pressed him and with no support from Darmian and Mkhi, he couldn't do it.

One chance? Thats your argument. I said before the game Martial and Mkhi would need to be the ones to make things happen, both of them were too pedestrian which is why they were triple teamed constantly.
Still it's one more than what the entire team contributed together.

They failed to give the midfield options or sit close enough to Lukaku to prevent him being isolated. His defence work was decent though surprisingly
Martial's instructions I think was to sit close to Darmian, only Mkhi was asked to sit close to Lukaku and win the second balls, unfortunately Lukaku received very few decent passes and his touch was very poor in a couple of instances our defenders and midfielders luckily found Lukaku with their horrible hoofs.

Dobbs

Sorry I don't think I was clear, I meant from a fan's perspective. Some people say Mourinho clearly rates him, he's one of the best talents in the world.. Others say there's no way Mourinho rates him, have meltdowns when he's not selected, etc.
Yeah I got what you meant. I was referring to the fans as well. Yeah there's extremes but there's plenty of posters in the middle. Those who acknowledge Mourinho can see his talent but at the same time believe Mourinho still has his reservations.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Not so much say but do. When was the last time Martial had a run of games? I don't think he has since José's first few as manager. He was rightfully dropped as he was poor but since then he's produced more good performances than bad, and has been better than Rashford, Mkhi and Mata but is seemingly behind all 3 in the pecking order.

Also, I'm waiting to see if José starts him in a big game when his other attacking options are fit themselves unlike against Liverpool. And if he does start him, not having him subbed off despite being playing better than the other attackers on the pitch.
He isn't even in competition for a place with Mkhitaryan and Mata.

yfoFC

One thing is for sure, the boy seems to be a lot more happy this season

Great to see that huge smile!

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It was a strange decision to take him off, he was our best attacking player. I guess Rashford will start against Benfica

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It was a strange decision to take him off, he was our best attacking player. I guess Rashford will start against Benfica
Think Martial will start. And Rashford will, against Huddersfield.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He isn't even in competition for a place with Mkhitaryan and Mata.
It's Mkhi and Mata (alongside Lukaku) who are prominent starters in attack leaving 1 spot for Rashford and Martial so, in a way, whilst not playing in the same positions, they are, because I see no reason we can't at least try Rashford and Martial together with just one of Mkhi/Mata.

Think Martial will start. And Rashford will, against Huddersfield.
I think so too, and hope so.

Martial deserves a couple of games on the run, it's not fair to start him against Liverpool and then take him straight out again. Start him tonight, let him keep that confidence going, and start Rashford at the weekend.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Why is Jose completely against moving him centrally within a game?

It was obvious from the first few minutes he was going to be an isolated figure. It was also obvious early that all of our central players didn't have the skill to keep the ball at all.

martial actually did create our only chance because he has the skill in tight places. And this chance was created centrally too.

He has been brilliant on the left but without a proper overlap ping LB Martial will struggle in games like Liverpool.

Jose needs to tinker with attackers more throughout a game.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
My question is what is this taboo regarding Martial and Rashford playing together about.

It seems Mourinho is just no willing to have them on the pitch at the same time at all. Even when he makes change one has to come out for the other regardless of their performance. It has actually started to irritate me.

Emrethis

Why is Jose completely against moving him centrally within a game?

It was obvious from the first few minutes he was going to be an isolated figure. It was also obvious early that all of our central players didn't have the skill to keep the ball at all.

martial actually did create our only chance because he has the skill in tight places. And this chance was created centrally too.

He has been brilliant on the left but without a proper overlap ping LB Martial will struggle in games like Liverpool.

Jose needs to tinker with attackers more throughout a game.
You hit the nail on the head. To me, Martial's still a no 9 playing wide. He doesn't make the runs into channels or to the byline and his crossing can be good at times, but inconsistent. I think his style of dribbling is more suited to around the penalty area, because he doesn't seem to have that extra burst of pace that allows him to bring the ball forward consistently out wide. Saying that, he's still a better left winger than most out there, but mainly because he's an amazing footballer.

At the same time, it's difficult with Martial as a striker because he doesn't seem to have that poacher's instinct that players like Michael owen and hernandez had, but his finishing is top class. He's not a physical presence, but he can hold the ball up for days. He would be amazing in a strike partnership, but I'm not sure he fits the bill as a lone striker. At the same time, if we play 2 up top I think he would work better with Rashford rather than Lukaku.

Alternatively, I think Lukaku's played on the left before? If Lukaku and Martial could swap positions during a game with Lukaku playing kind of like a wide target man, I don't see many fullbacks who would be able to handle his strength and speed. He's left footed as well. Obviously, it's not perfect, but it could add a new dimension to our play, I'd be interested to see if it works.

kouroux

It's Mkhi and Mata (alongside Lukaku) who are prominent starters in attack leaving 1 spot for Rashford and Martial so, in a way, whilst not playing in the same positions, they are, because I see no reason we can't at least try Rashford and Martial together with just one of Mkhi/Mata.
Why not include Lukaku while we're at it then ? After he's a prominent starter in attack no ?

Yagami

Good post resistant
Why not include Lukaku while we're at it then ? After he's a prominent starter in attack no ?
Because Lukaku, like Zlatan last year, is delivering. Mata, Mkhi and Rashford aren't delivering enough to be automatic starters over him. Plus I prefer Martial on the left than as a CF. Like tonight - Martial's dropped even though Mkhi, again, was horrendous. He'd rather stick with him than have both Martial and Marcus.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
How dare Martial be smiling when he is being ostracized by Jose, doesnt he know that he's being held back from being the best player in the world???

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Imagine if the current redcafe would have been around during the time Fergie used to rotate his strikers. This place would have been set ablaze in a fanboy war.

Dobbs

Imagine if the current redcafe would have been around during the time Fergie used to rotate his strikers. This place would have been set ablaze in a fanboy war.
Were you around when Fergie rotated his strikers? Cos I don't remember it being anything like the approach to Martial.

Yagami

Good post resistant
My favourite out of the 4 in 99 was Sheringham who, I believe, didn't play as much as the others but I didn't mind because Solskjaer, Yorke and Cole were delivering. Mata, Mkhi and Rashford aren't doing anything to justify being ahead of him time after time again. Hopefully they all play well tonight.

kouroux

Because Lukaku, like Zlatan last year, is delivering. Mata, Mkhi and Rashford aren't delivering enough to be automatic starters over him. Plus I prefer Martial on the left than as a CF. Like tonight - Martial's dropped even though Mkhi, again, was horrendous. He'd rather stick with him than have both Martial and Marcus.
He's not dropped, it's business as usual. He isn't an undisputed starter.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's not dropped, it's business as usual. He isn't an undisputed starter.
That's the problem. No one, bar Lukaku, should be but it's obvious Mata, Mkhi and Rashford are the preferred 3.

SteveW

Fergie's approach to man management was very very different

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
My favourite out of the 4 in 99 was Sheringham who, I believe, didn't play as much as the others but I didn't mind because Solskjaer, Yorke and Cole were delivering. Mata, Mkhi and Rashford aren't doing anything to justify being ahead of him time after time again. Hopefully they all play well tonight.
Rashford's got 5 goals and 4 assist this season, a big improvement on last season. That's kinda justifying. It's not like Jose's starting Lingard ahead of him.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
That's the problem. No one, bar Lukaku, should be but it's obvious Mata, Mkhi and Rashford are the preferred 3.
Rashford and Martial alternate starts. I can’t see how you can make rotation any fairer than that.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
What world are you living in???

Mata, Mkhi and Rashford (and Martial) have contributed massively to our good start this season. No matter what happens one of them will always be left out because there isnt enough space.

Mkhi has been an assist machine and is at no.10. Mata plays on the right. The only player that Martial can play over is Rashford and the boy has 9 goals and assists so far this season.

Martial was given an opportunity against Liverpool and he gave a good account of himself. It is not as if he is a permanent bench player, he is getting regular starts.

Benfica 0:1 Man Utd

Yagami

Good post resistant
Rashford is not a guaranteed starter either.
He isn't but, for our left attacking position, it's out of Rashford and Martial for José and he obviously prefers Marcus.
Is Mata playing that much more anyway ?
Bar the Liverpool game I think he's been one of José's most prominently featured players, no?
Rashford's got 5 goals and 4 assist this season, a big improvement on last season. That's kinda justifying. It's not like Jose's starting Lingard ahead of him.
I'm not saying I want Rashford dropped - I want them both to play. I don't agree with the notion that only Marcus and Martial should be competing for one spot when I think we could benefit from playing both.
Rashford and Martial alternate starts. I can’t see how you can make rotation any fairer than that.
As I said to @R.N7 , I think Mata and Mkhi should be rotated more, not just Marcus and Martial.
What world are you living in???

Mata, Mkhi and Rashford (and Martial) have contributed massively to our good start this season. No matter what happens one of them will always be left out because there isnt enough space.

Mkhi has been an assist machine and is at no.10. Mata plays on the right. The only player that Martial can play over is Rashford and the boy has 9 goals and assists so far this season.

Martial was given an opportunity against Liverpool and he gave a good account of himself. It is not as if he is a permanent bench player, he is getting regular starts.
Yes, one will be left out and I think that one should be the one who isn't pulling the weight at this moment in time, which is Mkhi. Hopefully he plays well tonight.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Yes, one will be left out and I think that one should be the one who isn't pulling the weight at this moment in time, which is Mkhi. Hopefully he plays well tonight.
Mkhi is playing as no.10, Mata is playing on the right, both positions Martial doesnt play.

Martial generally plays on the left or up top, obviously he won't play up top ahead of Lukaku so he is fighting with Rashford for the left forward position.

Unless you are suggesting we change the formation based on form just to fit in Martial which is ludicrous. You can't change your formation based on form and win the title; players will never be able to get any momentum because they will be chopping and changing so much.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Mkhi is playing as no.10, Mata is playing on the right, both positions Martial doesnt play.

Martial generally plays on the left or up top, obviously he won't play up top ahead of Lukaku so he is fighting with Rashford for the left forward position.

Unless you are suggesting we change the formation based on form just to fit in Martial which is ludicrous. You can't change your formation based on form and win the title; players will never be able to get any momentum because they will be chopping and changing so much.
Not change formation, no. I'd like to see us play Martial on the left, one of Mata/Mkhi as the 10, and Rashford on the right. I'm not saying it'd work but I don't see why we can't give it ago especially when Mata and Mkhi, in their current form, aren't pulling up any trees.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Not change formation, no. I'd like to see us play Martial on the left, one of Mata/Mkhi as the 10, and Rashford on the right. I'm not saying it'd work but I don't see why we can't give it ago especially when Mata and Mkhi, in their current form, aren't pulling up any trees.
Fair enough mate, Mourinho hesitates to use Rashford and Martial in the same game for a few reasons.

Firstly it allows us to have a player off the bench to change the game, and secondly we lose control of the midfield too easily using both of them since both are forwards rather than an attacking midfielder like Mata.

I would also like to see it, but I can also understand why he doesnt want to use two young forwards as part of our attack. He likes the reliability and experience of mata.

Yagami

Good post resistant
This season even ?
Mata's 9th in minutes played for us this season. Keep in mind that he hasn't finished a single game this season usually being subbed off with 15-20 mins left. Martial's 15th.
Fair enough mate, Mourinho hesitates to use Rashford and Martial in the same game for a few reasons.

Firstly it allows us to have a player off the bench to change the game, and secondly we lose control of the midfield too easily using both of them since both are forwards rather than an attacking midfielder like Mata.

I would also like to see it, but I can also understand why he doesnt want to use two young forwards as part of our attack. He likes the reliability and experience of mata.
Yeah, I get the reasons. I mean, if we start both (not tonight but eventually) we could still have a potential bench of one of Mata/Mkhi, Lingard, Fellaini and eventually Zlatan as potential game changers.

Also, when Pogba's back, I'm sure we could still control the midfield with both playing. Not always as there's been times, with Pogba, when one or the other hasn't started, we still haven't been great at controlling the midfield, but it's not a certainty that we wouldn't. City's midfield are better, but they do it with Fernandinho, Silva and De Bruyne with out and out attackers in Sterling, Sané, Jesus. I'm sure we could do alright with Matic, Pogba and one of Mata/Mkhi with out and out attackers in Martial, Rashford and Lukaku.

kouroux

Mata's 9th in minutes played for us this season. Keep in mind that he hasn't finished a single game this season usually being subbed off with 15-20 mins left. Martial's 15th.

Yeah, I get the reasons. I mean, if we start both (not tonight but eventually) we could still have a potential bench of one of Mata/Mkhi, Lingard, Fellaini and eventually Zlatan as potential game changers.

Also, when Pogba's back, I'm sure we could still control the midfield with both playing. Not always as there's been times, with Pogba, when one or the other hasn't started, we still haven't been great at controlling the midfield, but it's not a certainty that we wouldn't. City's midfield are better, but they do it with Fernandinho, Silva and De Bruyne with out and out attackers in Sterling, Sané, Jesus. I'm sure we could do alright with Matic, Pogba and one of Mata/Mkhi with out and out attackers in Martial, Rashford and Lukaku.
Really Mkhitaryan should be booted from the 1st team and play Mata/Martial/Rashford behind Lukaku

Code-CX

It pisses me off so much that our best player by far almost always comes on from the bench at minute 70-75. Absolutely ridiculous how he isn’t an automatic starter.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Decent cameo. So reassuring that he's beating players for fun again.
Hope Rashers isn't out for long.
Martial's form could be key.

RedStarUnited

It pisses me off so much that our best player by far almost always comes on from the bench at minute 70-75. Absolutely ridiculous how he isn’t an automatic starter.
Add in the fact that our general play is atrocious. It slightly angers me to be honest that we dont see him enough.

Andersons Dietician

Anyone think that maybe part of the sudden swing of excitement for Martial is because he is one of the only bright sparks on the roster.

Sure he is playing really well but the way our team plays his ability and drive to take people on pull off a trick and so on are just magnified due to how boring everything else around him is?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Add in the fact that our general play is atrocious. It slightly angers me to be honest that we dont see him enough.
What are you talking about? It's been atrocious in the last two games and Martial started in one of them. We were fine before that.

Let's take it easy with the doom and gloom. We've got two draws and a dozen wins with lots of goals. The team selection has been working overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.