Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Marcelo ronaldo , Ashley cole /gallas and duff.
See Cole didn't arrive until the 2006 season, so by that time, the width of the original Jose team of Duff/Robben was non-existent by that stage.

Secondly, his team initially had Ferreira and Gallas, but obviously he had two really exciting wingers, so I guess that mitigated the lack of two attacking full backs, though Ferreira and Gallas were ok going forwards but I would hardly call those memorable pairings in an attacking sense.

Marcelo Ronaldo, was already provided for him was it not.. and even then he tried to cock it up with the Contraeo signing..

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Perhaps it helps when the wide player and the FB have a natural inclination to attack and are given the license to.

Jose's prerogative is more towards defending than attacking imo, so it kind throws it up in the air about what kind of FB he thinks will complement Martial.

What kind of FB do you think he might have in mind, out of curiosity?
I am hoping that he goes for a guy like Rose, who is left footed and can bomb up and down a flank. I think it is difficult to find very defensively minded full backs in the modern game, which forces his hand a little bit.. he's going to have to sign proactive full backs whether he likes it or not. Though knowing him, he'll probably ensure he keeps Darmian around because defensive full backs are not really out there in the market place.

prtk0811

Perhaps it helps when the wide player and the FB have a natural inclination to attack and are given the license to.

Jose's prerogative is more towards defending than attacking imo, so it kind throws it up in the air about what kind of FB he thinks will complement Martial.

What kind of FB do you think he might have in mind, out of curiosity?
He's using valencia on the other side who can do both roles simultaneously with high work rate . Marcelo ashley cole valencia all come in high workrate category which at chelsea second spell he dint have. That's what jose's style needs.

A player like real madrid's theo hernandez suits him a lot .

prtk0811

See Cole didn't arrive until the 2006 season, so by that time, the width of the original Jose team of Duff/Robben was non-existent by that stage.

Secondly, his team initially had Ferreira and Gallas, but obviously he had two really exciting wingers, so I guess that mitigated the lack of two attacking full backs, though Ferreira and Gallas were ok going forwards but I would hardly call those memorable pairings in an attacking sense.

Marcelo Ronaldo, was already provided for him was it not.. and even then he tried to cock it up with the Contraeo signing..
He needs wingers and fullbacks with high work rate which are rare to find.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He needs wingers and fullbacks with high work rate which are rare to find.
Yes but it is counter-productive.

Mourinho's modus operandi.. has been to have a guy like Maicon or Valencia manning a flank, and possibly having a work horse in front of them, or a non-traditional wide forward i.e. playmaker/second forward.

Whereas most teams overload their flanks with attacking overlapping fullbacks in addition to a wizard of a wide forward, and then in some cases you have a slightly less gifted wide player with a slightly less gifted but more balanced full back on the other side to compensate in terms of work rate/balance.

That way teams can really destroy teams down one flank and take the game to the opposition, but we are halfway house, with defensive full back behind our strongest flank i.e. left wing.. and it leads to neither of our flanks being particularly breathtaking.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Yeah because Coentrao was defensive LB isn't it. Nothing to do with adding LB because Madrid had only Marcelo as their LB who was good enough.

prtk0811

Yes but it is counter-productive.

Mourinho's modus operandi.. has been to have a guy like Maicon or Valencia manning a flank, and possibly having a work horse in front of them, or a non-traditional wide forward i.e. playmaker/second forward.

Whereas most teams overload their flanks with attacking overlapping fullbacks in addition to a wizard of a wide forward, and then in some cases you have a slightly less gifted wide player with a slightly less gifted but more balanced full back on the other side to compensate in terms of work rate/balance.

That way teams can really destroy teams down one flank and take the game to the opposition, but we are halfway house, with defensive full back behind our strongest flank i.e. left wing.. and it leads to neither of our flanks being particularly breathtaking.
Most teams are Posession based based teams which play total football and have a fix way of circulating the ball from side to side ,that way they draw the opponents on one side which opens up space for the fullbacks to exploit and run into the otherside and and the sudden change and switch of sides of the ball verticaly and digonally catch opposition suddenly with very less pressure on the ball as the fullbacks gets drawn to other side and the their transition to the opposite side is slower and before the transition the cross comes in. So the overlapping full back has lots of time to comfortably accquire the attacking position on the other side because he gets neglected all the time as the action is happening on the opposite end of the pitch.

Mourinho is more direct in posession just like fergie was and he needs came category of players that fergie needed or had most of the time and demanded same defensive contribution from flair wingers as well that's why his wingers and fullbacks always had great engine in them. They both need a forger who barge their way forward with very little time and much pressure at the same time do defensive duties which are needed of them so that requires a lot of workrate. While his Way of playing is very direct the posession of the ball keeps changing hands and thus their is less control with the ball. While against posession based systems they pin the fullbacks inside with creative players cutting inside and overlapping fullbacks which are very high and wide thus wingers needs to trakhim back too and then exploit the space he vacated to counter which needs high work rate as well to turn defense into attack in a direct way.

That's why wanted ivan perisic here because of his dual role of a left footed high work rate accurate crosses to match valencia on the other side as wingback or play as a winger too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I remember my first memory of this becoming a thing was when there was a great deal made of ‘Arsenal’s left side’, when they attacked with Cole, Pires and Henry. The right side didn’t have the same qualities, although Overmars did operate there too - it was mainly that Henry favoured drifting leftwards.

Greck

You get that feeling with Martial that he could be a truely terrifying player, I just hope we can get that level out of him and he doesn't end up elsewhere as it would be pretty sickening.

He was also the only one consistently holding the ball or carrying it for us, it also unbalanced us to have Lukaku out wide because he doesn't track back or make runs like a wide player.
Jose's call but I'm hoping Ibra+Lukaku don't become a rooney under LVG type thing where the favourites are allowed certain playtime privileges that aren't necessarily beneficial to the team.

Lukaku especially might benefit from being taken out of the firing line for a bit.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Official ManUtd account using "Martial FC" :lol:

Home&Away

Jose's call but I'm hoping Ibra+Lukaku don't become a rooney under LVG type thing where the favourites are allowed certain playtime privileges that aren't necessarily beneficial to the team.

Lukaku especially might benefit from being taken out of the firing line for a bit.
Good Post. I think that a partnership of rashford & martial should be given chance to grow. There might not be balance in the team when both play as wingers - but they are theoretically perfect striking partners in my opinion. Give them the space to build on some form for 3-4 games in a row; I feel something special will happen.

Then again the type of striker both are is not the best suited to our current manager & lukaku/ibrahimpvic will be given advantages

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Just checked the results on that tf1 website and Martial is leading so far while Mbappe is coming third.

At this rate Martial would be able to be voted the next France president or something with these online polls and votes :lol:

No wonder even the club official website recognize the "Martial FC".

MadMike

Just checked the results on that tf1 website and Martial is leading so far while Mbappe is coming third.

At this rate Martial would be able to be voted the next France president or something with these online polls and votes :lol:

No wonder even the club official website recognize the "Martial FC".
Social media got Trump into the White House so, yeah maybe

breakout67

Supports
Man City
It’s an evil master plan!
The manager told us that he wanted an option off the bench so he didnt want to play both. Smart arses on the forum say that they know better than him on what he needs for his own system; or they say that he should abandon his system just because they say so.

The manager knows Martial can become a special player (he has said so himself); but his responsibility isnt to Martial it is to the club. Sometimes Martial won't get his way, but if Martial keeps improving as he has been this season he will get what he wants.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Well deserved. Our potentially best and most important player after pogba all things considered, and he's been in great form and deserves to be starting constantly.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The manager told us that he wanted an option off the bench so he didnt want to play both. Smart arses on the forum say that they know better than him on what he needs for his own system; or they say that he should abandon his system just because they say so.

The manager knows Martial can become a special player (he has said so himself); but his responsibility isnt to Martial it is to the club. Sometimes Martial won't get his way, but if Martial keeps improving as he has been this season he will get what he wants.
Pretty sure it was you who told us that, or other posters, not the manager.

AshRK

Reply want him to again score/assist today. Jose is starting to trust him and that is the way to go forward. I want him to start the big games also. Bang some today TonyM.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah, not sure I've seen Jose say anything to that effect
Just your regular poster trying to sneak opinion through as fact.

To imply there was no conversation to be had earlier in the season in silly. If anything, the manager has said as much himself, saying things like ‘for weeks you ask why not play Rashford and Martial?’

If you have to wait 4 months for Martial to start back to back league games to rush in and underline some sort of point, not sure how much of a point you had at all anyway.

Rossa

Spot on, mate, but you ruined the game. Now say something silly!

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I voted but will be tough to overhaul Lopez. He'll be the anti-Mbappe vote.
How are the results looking so far? I could only see them after voting which was once, since then I'm unable to see the polls results.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, something like that. Celtic’s Dembele behind on 14%

Status
Not open for further replies.