6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr PG

This is the thing with Martial. It's all about efficiency for him. Some people say that he just wants to dribble through players. That is simply not true. Martial is ultra efficient in what he does. Be it shooting, moving with or off the ball or dribbling. He only does things when his rather conservative instincts tells him to do them. You will seldom see him making runs anticipating a ball, shooting speculatively, gambling on a long ball or pass, running around like a headless chicken.

If somehow, his efficiency can consistently be married to effectiveness, you will see an unreal player. The flip side to this is that I don't think he can ever become a true no. 9, as he won't completely develop a poacher's instinct. He will(and does) look poorer than others on days when his insticts aren't sharp. He is simply an extremely clinical player and a finisher without being someone who likes to gamble on chances, decisions or passes. I just look forward to his development here at Old Trafford.
This has to be one of the best and most accurate posts I have seen regarding Martial.

ti vu

I stopped reading after the first paragraph. Have you ever played as a striker? Because ask any in the scenarios I just put forth the space to score is going to be on the far right coming from the left. It’s clearly not going to be the left hand side as that is where a keeper should be covering and if you drive it straight it’s easier for a keeper to block not to mention it’s harder to control a shot like that so the easiest and most proficient place is the far right hand corner.
I should ask that question then. And whether you was tried as defensive midfielders, full back, CB and GK? Everyone with basic football knowledge, even instinct know far corner is the most difficult spot for GK to cover when a player cutting in shooting. However, not everyone is naturally born with talent to put the ball there, and it's not natural for everyone to do so. If it's natural for the mass, then why some amateurs can take corner very well, when there are countless of professional players who never given corner duty.

Why GK knowing cutting inside would choose the far corner yet they still try to cover the near cover as well. Ask and answer: the idea behind player playing on opposite wing of their stronger foot is it let them have the option to either go with far or near corner. It's not like traditional never cut in and close in on goal. Why these wingers can't score plenty? Again ask and answer at the same time. Their shooting option is limited, not that playing on opposite wing of your foot is traditional and natural.

Love how convenient you are to ignore Ronaldo example. Try to contact him and let him know he should stick with placing the ball to far corner instead of mix thing up going near post at times

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Just scrolling through YouTube and came across this video. Couldn’t help but notice the ridiculous title :lol:

Steven Seagull

I should ask that question then. And whether you was tried as defensive midfielders, full back, CB and GK? Everyone with basic football knowledge, even instinct know far corner is the most difficult spot for GK to cover when a player cutting in shooting. However, not everyone is naturally born with talent to put the ball there, and it's not natural for everyone to do so. If it's natural for the mass, then why some amateurs can take corner very well, when there are countless of professional players who never given corner duty.

Why GK knowing cutting inside would choose the far corner yet they still try to cover the near cover as well. Ask and answer: the idea behind player playing on opposite wing of their stronger foot is it let them have the option to either go with far or near corner. It's not like traditional never cut in and close in on goal. Why these wingers can't score plenty? Again ask and answer at the same time. Their shooting option is limited, not that playing on opposite wing of your foot is traditional and natural.

Love how convenient you are to ignore Ronaldo example. Try to contact him and let him know he should stick with placing the ball to far corner instead of mix thing up going near post at times
What the feck are you talking about?

ti vu

Goalkeepers rule number 1: don’t concede at the near post.
Then read what the other poster said about cutting inside with your stronger foot means you naturally go for the far post. Why would GK need to guard the near post as much if it's natural for the forward to aim for far post most of the time? Clearly you know GK rule and it itself explain the basic of football.

Steven Seagull

Then read what the other poster said about cutting inside with your stronger foot means you naturally go for the far post. Why would GK need to guard the near post as much if it's natural for the forward to aim for far post most of the time? Clearly you know GK rule and it itself explain the basic of football.
That’s just the way it is. If you were in goal and Thierry Henry was running at you, would you stand by the post he normally curls his shots into?

ti vu

That’s just the way it is. If you were in goal and Thierry Henry was running at you, would you stand by the post he normally curls his shots into?
You're talk about supreme talented players where even if you know what he's gonna do, you can't stop. You're supporting my argument in this case you know: you as GK is always supposed to guard near post (natural angle for majority of shooters). If it's not for near post shooting, wouldn't you do keep equal distance to stop both far and near post. Why leave far post more vulnerable?

The point in discussion is going for far corner is natural for everyone, trying play this role without any coaching. The basic of GK coaching was to secure the near post for this same reason as not many was born with ability to go for the far post, even if you like it or not. Even you're guarding a near post, a competent GK can stop attempt to far post by your limited technical player most of the time.

Steven Seagull

You're talk about supreme talented players where even if you know what he's gonna do, you can't stop. You're supporting my argument in this case you know: you as GK was always supposed to guard near post (natural angle for majority of shooters)

The point in discussion is going for far corner is natural for everyone, trying play this role without any coaching. The basic of GK coaching was to secure the near post for this same reason as not many was born with ability to go for the far post, even if you like it or not. Even you're guarding a near post, a competent GK can stop attempt to far post by your limited technical player most of the time.
Ok thank you brother

Greck

Both of you aren't wrong. On one hand it's goalkeeping orthodoxy to prioritise the near post. You could occasionally diverge from this depending on the situation, the player and his tendencies but everytime you do so you open yourself to the embarrassment of conceding at the near post.

Strikers know to exploit this orthodoxy by targeting the far corner

ti vu

Both of you aren't wrong. On one hand it's goalkeeping orthodoxy to prioritise the near post. You could occasionally diverge from this depending on the situation, the player and his tendencies but everytime you do so you open yourself to the embarrassment of conceding at the near post.

Strikers know to exploit this orthodoxy by targeting the far corner
I am not saying @Steven Seagull any wrong. My main discussion was with the other poster who said aiming for far post is natural for all shooters cutting inside with their stronger foot.

GK securing the near post being orthodox is purposed to work against most of shooters. It becomes the fundamental for goalkeeping for that sole reason. The guy with ability to go for far post after cutting through defending layers clearly more talented than average. To stop that you need defenders and defensive set up, not just placing the whole responsibility on your GKs. By that logic, it's clearly not natural for everyone who first time kick the ball to have the technique, the instinct to go for far post.

Andersons Dietician

I’m guessing English isn’t your first language? Ignore what Ronaldo example? Also you don’t have to be naturally born to be able to put the ball there, if you’re coming in from the left the goal keeper is always going to cover his near post, because if he leaves it open and they score there he’ll get rinsed out. So from the original angle the right side is always going to be open in that scenario, think back to Thierry Henry and how many he scored from that side. If you’re central of course you have more options, it’s all positioning.

Also the only one saying it’s “natural” is yourself. I said it’s the easiest and most efficient place to score in the scenario given.(which it is)

What was your thing on Ronaldo tho?

Last edited:

ti vu

I’m guessing English isn’t your first language? Ignore what Ronaldo example? Also you don’t have to be naturally born to be able to put the ball there, if you’re coming in from the left the goal keeper is always going to cover his near post, because if he leaves it open and they score there he’ll get rinsed out. So from the original angle the right side is always going to be open in that scenario, think back to Thierry Henry and how many he scored from that side. If you’re central of course you have more options, it’s all positioning.

What was your thing on Ronaldo tho?
So all you have to say is the obvious that the far corner is difficult for GK to cover then also ignore the fundamental of football. Why is GK is coached to guard near post? Majority of players can't control their shot to far corners. It's not natural thing for everyone. You know it doesn't mean you can do it. As I already responde to other post regarding some one like Henry. It takes supreme talent to do so. Not all amateur, and untrained football enthusiasts would naturally be born with technique and instinct to go for that.

I am not talking about positioning. I clearly talked about cutting from the wing and shooting, clearly the idea with playing on opposite wing of your strong foot is to enable you to have more options. Traditional winger playing on wing of their strong foot clearly being at disantage when it comes to shoot as their option most of the time is going near post.

Go read the Ronaldo point I made. Why ask me to repeat when it's there?

Andersons Dietician

So all you have to say is the obvious that the far corner is difficult for GK to cover then also ignore the fundamental of football. Why is GK is coached to guard near post? Majority of players can't control their shot to far corners. It's not natural thing for everyone. You know it doesn't mean you can do it. As I already responde to other post regarding some one like Henry. It takes supreme talent to do so. Not all amateur, and untrained football enthusiasts would naturally be born with technique and instinct to go for that.

I am not talking about positioning. I clearly talked about cutting from the wing and shooting, clearly the idea with playing on opposite wing of your strong foot is to enable you to have more options. Traditional winger playing on wing of their strong foot clearly being at disantage when it comes to shoot as their option most of the time is going near post.

Go read the Ronaldo point I made. Why ask me to repeat when it's there?
I asked you to repeat it because it’s very hard to make out what you’re trying to say with your posts. That last post you sent was an absolute mess that I almost didn’t even bother trying to decipher it.

You jumped in on a conversation I was having with someone else where we were discussing how people were criticising Martial for always finishing in the bottom right corner. However coming from the left that is where the largest space in the goal is going to be for someone to finish as a goal keeper will always be covering his near post.
It’s quite simple really and you’ve just made a meal out of it. If we broke it down in to percentages that area would be of a higher chance % coming off the left. Now if that forward goes so far in he goes beyond the front post then we are in a different scenario as a cut back to that post would probably be considered a higher percentage finish.

It’s percentages and coming off the left that is where your biggest chance is going to be. You also don’t need to be an elite footballer to do it, there is nothing spectacular about it, it’s just basic intelligence, that’s where it’s going to be hardest for the keeper to stop it therefore I’m going to stick it there. Simple!!

What’s not simple is what the hell does this mean?

“Ronaldo blasted the ball to bend the direction toward far corner instead of placing it.”

That’s what you wrote about Ronaldo. “blasted the ball to bend the direction”? What are you trying to say here? What even is Ronaldo doing in this discussion ?

ti vu

I asked you to repeat it because it’s very hard to make out what you’re trying to say with your posts. That last post you sent was an absolute mess that I almost didn’t even bother trying to decipher it.

You jumped in on a conversation I was having with someone else where we were discussing how people were criticising Martial for always finishing in the bottom right corner. However coming from the left that is where the largest space in the goal is going to be for someone to finish as a goal keeper will always be covering his near post.
It’s quite simple really and you’ve just made a meal out of it. If we broke it down in to percentages that area would be of a higher chance % coming off the left. Now if that forward goes so far in he goes beyond the front post then we are in a different scenario as a cut back to that post would probably be considered a higher percentage finish.

It’s percentages and coming off the left that is where your biggest chance is going to be. You also don’t need to be an elite footballer to do it, there is nothing spectacular about it, it’s just basic intelligence, that’s where it’s going to be hardest for the keeper to stop it therefore I’m going to stick it there. Simple!!

Look at how much Dybala shoots at near post when the angle also allow to go with far corner shot.

Your percentage is made up. As I explained with the whole fundamental of GK coaching with cover the near post. The mass doesn't have the technique (especially when it comes to dribbling from wide area to central area), to finish to the far corner. If near post shooting is harder, then every GK coaches are wrong to train GKs to secure their near post. Henry, Messi, Robben... are considered stylistically different. Its give birth the trend nowadays. However, it's clear to see throughout history, the percentage to placing it at far corner is low. It's not easy this not efficient if you don't have technical ability for it. Even with the trend, not many are good at scoring with this style of finishing. Clearly that finishing style ain't the norm and as efficient as you try to put it.

I am not saying Martial finishing is bad, but as other poster put it, he's too conservative in his approach which trying to varying his finishing may help his output even more.

I mentioned Ronaldo due to he used to stick wide more then cut inside, yet plenty of time he went with near post than trying to curve it to far post. Even when he went with far post, he not always curve the ball with inside his foot, but blast it.

Edit: This season goal from Dybala. Similarly there are goals he can go with far post but near post is the option he chose

Last edited:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
This just shows how much of a tap ins player Sterling has been. Normally a player his age with his season scoring rate so far would have looked special in my eyes yet I still feel like he's only okeish to good, not special.

Maybe it's because I've only seen tap ins from him this season and his game isn't anything special either. Than again one finding himself in those easy goalscoring position is a talent in itself as I've heard, so he has that at least in my eyes.
Was about to post the same reply, thanks @Damien for the stats and they seem to back up my claim of Sterling scoring easier chances
Sterling PL Shots
36/53 penalty area (67.9%)
5/53 six yard box (9.4%)
12/53 outside box (22.6%)

Martial PL Shots
10/25 penalty area (40%)
4/25 six yard box (16%)
11/25 outside box (44%)

-------

So to expand on that:

Sterling PL Goals
Penalty area: 8 - [1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8] (57% of PL goals/22% shots converted)
Six yard box: 5 - [1][2][3][4][5] (36% of PL goals/100% shots converted)
Outside box: 1 - [1] (7% of PL goals/8% shots converted)

*Penalty area 4, 5 and 6 practically in six yard box

Martial PL Goals
Penalty area: 4 - [1][2][3][4] (57% of PL goals/40% shots converted)
Six yard box: 1 - [1] (14% of PL goals/25% shots converted)
Outside box: 2 - [1][2] (29% of PL goals/18% shots converted)

Sterling's movement and positioning is ridiculous. So, so good and like you say Santoryo that is a talent in itself and something Guardiola's worked well with him on.

Andersons Dietician

Look at how much Dybala shoots at near post when the angle also allow to go with far corner shot.

Your percentage is made up. As I explained with the whole fundamental of GK coaching with cover the near post. The mass doesn't have the technique (especially when it comes to dribbling from wide area to central area), to finish to the far corner. If near post shooting is harder, then every GK coaches are wrong to train GKs to secure their near post. Henry, Messi, Robben... are considered stylistically different. Its give birth the trend nowadays. However, it's clear to see throughout history, the percentage to placing it at far corner is low. It's not easy this not efficient if you don't have technical ability for it. Even with the trend, not many are good at scoring with this style of finishing. Clearly that finishing style ain't the norm and as efficient as you try to put it.

I am not saying Martial finishing is bad, but as other poster put it, he's too conservative in his approach which trying to varying his finishing may help his output even more.

I mentioned Ronaldo due to he used to stick wide more then cut inside, yet plenty of time he went with near post than trying to curve it to far post. Even when he went with far post, he not always curve the ball with inside his foot, but blast it.

Edit: This season goal from Dybala. Similarly there are goals he can go with far post but near post is the option he chose

Hahhaha in your first video there is only 1 goal witch is similar to what we’ve discussed and it the first one vs Barcelona and guess where he sticks it? That’s right the far post.
Please just give up because this is really becoming stupid, listen if you come in from the left hand side and you’re within the width of the 18yarder and you haven’t gone central the space most vulnerable to finish is the far post!!

Surely that shouldn’t be a hard concept to understand.

Right I’ve thought of an easier way to put this for you by breaking the box in to 3 sections. We’ll call.

The left side of the box to the post- section 1
The right side of the box to the post -section 3
The central area between both posts-section 2

If you’re in section 1 the goalie is going to cover the front post so the space for the ball is the far post. That is where people will aim. Now coming off of that left Martial would naturally find himself in section 1 a lot hence why anyone who has ever thought about taking a shot at goal will realise the far right is where the space is, hence why people would shoot there, witch then led to people criticising him always “supposedly” finishing there.

This part shouldn’t need explaing, but since you keep mentioning GK training. If a goalie was to think oh no he’ll put it to the far post i’ll Just leave this front post. Now that scenario will never happen because you’d have to be the worst goalkeeper to ever play the game to think that.

Last edited:

J_Red 11

Martial has improved this season & I believe he's been underrated prior the Everton away game. What I like about him which I don't think a lot of our fans notice what he does this season is that he draws fouls from the opposition team. Opposition players will need to foul him in order to stop him as a result we can get free kick in dangerous spot or even penalty.

For example the Mata's free kick against Leicester City, he was the one who won the free kick, people criticised his performance because he missed one chance in that Leicester City game but he actually played very well, won a lot of free kicks, link up well, contribute in defense as well.

He also has improved his end product this season and I think he could have score more goals if he plays more minutes (Jose hardly gives him full 90 mins game). And on top of that he has been involved in our goals & creating chances against top sides this season, he was the one who created the chance for Lukaku against Liverpool, he was the one who created chance & assist for Lingard's goal & also the one when Lingard hit the post against Arsenal, he was the one who created the chance for Lukaku against City & he was the one who scored the winning goal against Spurs. My top 5 player of the season so far.

Reactions: Penna

ti vu

Hahhaha in your first video there is only 1 goal witch is similar to what we’ve discussed and it the first one vs Barcelona and guess where he sticks it? That’s right the far post.
Please just give up because this is really becoming stupid, listen if you come in from the left hand side and you’re within the width of the 18yarder and you haven’t gone central the space most vulnerable to finish is the far post!!

Surely that shouldn’t be a hard concept to understand.

Right I’ve thought of an easier way to put this for you by breaking the box in to 3 sections. We’ll call.

The left side of the box to the post- section 1
The right side of the box to the post -section 3
The central area between both posts-section 2

If you’re in section 1 the goalie is going to cover the front post so the space for the ball is the far post. That is where people will aim. Now coming off of that left Martial would naturally find himself in section 1 a lot hence why anyone who has ever thought about taking a shot at goal will realise the far right is where the space is, hence why people would shoot there, witch then led to people criticising him always “supposedly” finishing there.

This part shouldn’t need explaing, but since you keep mentioning GK training. If a goalie was to think oh no he’ll put it to the far post i’ll Just leave this front post. Now that scenario will never happen because you’d have to be the worst goalkeeper to ever play the game to think that.
Agree that at this point it's stupid to continue because one refuse to acknowledge the basic of football. :rolleyes:

Why would GK being proud of being hard to beat at the near post if it's god given for every GK? How many Henry are there? What players in previous generation does Henry's finishing resemble of? Why is the goal vs Barcelona is considered as special if everyone can instinctively pull off on regular basis?

Your last paragraph pretty much betrayed your whole point. The terrible GKs are those who don't do basic well. Everyone know a well executed shot to far corner is more guaranteed goal than well struck near post (GK is trained to guard near post), yet you never saw coaches tell GK to try position to cover far corner more. Already repeat the reason behind it: near post requires less skill and more to be aimed at by shooters.

Are you LVG? The pioneer for playing attacker on opposite wing of their strong foot and restrict shooting unless it's a clear chance (well executed shot to far post is more guaranteed for goal!)

yfoFC

Rested in this game after coming back from injury, hope he and lukaku come off the bench to add gloss to the result rather than we needing them to force a win

Man Utd 2:0 Derby

Andersons Dietician

Agree that at this point it's stupid to continue because one refuse to acknowledge the basic of football. :rolleyes:

Why would GK being proud of being hard to beat at the near post if it's god given for every GK? How many Henry are there? What players in previous generation does Henry's finishing resemble of? Why is the goal vs Barcelona is considered as special if everyone can instinctively pull off on regular basis?

Your last paragraph pretty much betrayed your whole point. The terrible GKs are those who don't do basic well. Everyone know a well executed shot to far corner is more guaranteed goal than well struck near post (GK is trained to guard near post), yet you never saw coaches tell GK to try position to cover far corner more. Already repeat the reason behind it: near post requires less skill and more to be aimed at by shooters.

Are you LVG? The pioneer for playing attacker on opposite wing of their strong foot and restrict shooting unless it's a clear chance (well executed shot to far post is more guaranteed for goal!)
I do have to ask have you ever played football? I don’t mean at any sort of standard but even a kick about with your friends?
Let’s go back to simplifying it. If you’re coming from the left and find yourself on the left hand side of the box, the easiest place to finish is going to be the far post unless you totally want to remove a GK.

Also why slag yourself off.
it’s a very simple principle, but for whatever reason you just aren’t grasping it which is why i’m Asking if you’ve ever even kicked a ball.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His link up with Lukaku and Pogba is just superb.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Only attacker at the club with potential to be one of the best players in the world.

AndyJ1985

Head and shoulders above Rashford and should be one of the first names on the team sheet.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Two assists, OK only one morally, but he helped make the difference for sure.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Must always start. Surely Jose can see this? Incredibly good chemistry with Pogba/Lingard/Mata/Lukaku. He even seems to have some chemistry with Shaw! So talented.

Was quite sweet to see the long hug between him and Lukaku after the goal. They seem quite close and Martial could have probably scored but seems happy to have his friend get his confidence back in front of goal. Nice moment..

Status
Not open for further replies.