6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertd0803

I think getting him off the bench is a great idea - he seems to like doing so. His debut goal for us was when he came off the bench, no? Not saying that he will be always on the bench, but if coming on later in the game where he can take advantage of more space and tired legs with his pace and dribbling means that he will score and assist more can only be a good thing. Will boost his confidence and soon he will be back flying again as a starter.
Much better for the confidence than bouncing off the defenders and struggling to get in to the game which has happened a few time to him when he started. Its a long season Im sure he will get his chances. And for everyone saying he should start over Rashford, why? Rashford offers more than Martial in multiple areas that Martial doesn't and seems that Rashford gets the tactical side of things better than Martial does.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Everyone that's desperate for him to start thinks he should at the expense of...Rashford?

Ps let's put this into context here, he played against a deflated and ragged, old and slow zabaletta didn't he?

Pps his childlike personality (where everyone is constantly worried about him and he's always sulking and 'complex' etc) is so tedious. Hardly surprising why Jose (a man who typically likes warriors) has had to make such an effort to like him.
As was Rashford playing against the same past it Zabaletta. It's a luxury to have both Rashord and Martial as they are both brilliant talents but right now Martial is just a level above, especially in terms of his end product. Still I think Rashford does better work defensively and works harder than Martial so I can see why Mourinho picks him. It is a very close call between the two of them.

Alemar

At this moment in time I believe our best setup for counter attacking footie is a triplet of:
Martial-Lukaku-Rashford. With Mkhi right behind Lukaku.
Realistically speaking, we cannot play these 4 players together as starters.

The reason underneath is simple: those 4 are our best attacking players, and if we start them all together then the manager doesn't have any meaningful firepower on the bench.

For mourinho who is known as an expert tactician, this is most certainly a no go: he needs options on the bench in every department so that to react to the way the match goes.

That said, we definitely need 1 (just one) additional pacey attacking player in the squad, and then obviously the above mentioned formation becomes a possibility - but there needs to be a transfer first, someone good needs to be purchased.

To add to that: what I mean is not that Martial must be on the bench unless another attacker is bought, but rather that someone from the aforementioned front four must be on the bench (and not Lukaku from tactics perspective, so it's mostly the trio of Martial, Rashford and Miki for two spots in the squad)

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

The reason underneath is simple: those 4 are our best attacking players, and if we start them all together then the manager doesn't have any meaningful firepower on the bench.

For mourinho who is known as an expert tactician, this is most certainly a no go: he needs options on the bench in every department so that to react to the way the match goes.

That said, we definitely need 1 (just one) pacey attacking player in the squad, and then obviously the above mentioned formation becomes a possibility - but there needs to be a transfer first, someone good needs to be purchased
Apart from someone who outscored all of them last season?

Then there's always Herrera to add invention, Fellaini to add mayhem and Lingard to add... something?

shield

He is pure class. But I think his tendency is to control the ball and move it around. Bit like how Arsenal play. Think Mourinho doesn't care about control, possession or beautiful play. Any sort of goal, even if it is scrappy, will do.

Think Mourinho currently wants his winger to just attack and try to get past players and put crosses in. He does not care if his winger loses possession while doing this. Martial is more measured in his approach. I actually like this natural game very much and I think if he has to stay under Mourinho at Manchester United then he will have to the all action type of player which is not his natural game.

Yesterday, he played just the way Mourinho wanted him to.

I feel that as a player, his ball control and ability to move with the ball is far superior to Rashford. However, Rashford ball control is also good enough and he offers the raw pace and high energy attacking outlet which Mourinho wants. Think that is the reason why we will continue to see Rashford (who is also playing quite well) in the starting lineup. Just my thoughts.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I really hope we don't buy another winger and set him back. The energy of Rashford, Martial and Lukaku has been contagious throughout the team.

Revan

Assumptionman
He is pure class. But I think his tendency is to control the ball and move it around. Bit like how Arsenal play. Think Mourinho doesn't care about control, possession or beautiful play. Any sort of goal, even if it is scrappy, will do.

Think Mourinho currently wants his winger to just attack and try to get past players and put crosses in. He does not care if his winger loses possession while doing this. Martial is more measured in his approach. I actually like this natural game very much and I think if he has to stay under Mourinho at Manchester United then he will have to the all action type of player which is not his natural game.

Yesterday, he played just the way Mourinho wanted him to.

I feel that as a player, his ball control and ability to move with the ball is far superior to Rashford. However, Rashford ball control is also good enough and he offers the raw pace and high energy attacking outlet which Mourinho wants. Think that is the reason why we will continue to see Rashford (who is also playing quite well) in the starting lineup. Just my thoughts.
Yesterday he looked willing to take the defender every time he had the ball. Same with Rashford.

I genuinely think that Martial is a way better player (especially in the left wing position) so no idea why Mourinho is favoring Rashford. Especially considering that Rashford can play equally well on the other wing, and a front three of Lukaku, Martial and Rashford would have insane pace.

Revan

Assumptionman

That said, we definitely need 1 (just one) additional pacey attacking player in the squad, and then obviously the above mentioned formation becomes a possibility - but there needs to be a transfer first, someone good needs to be purchased.

To add to that: what I mean is not that Martial must be on the bench unless another attacker is bought, but rather that someone from the aforementioned front four must be on the bench (and not Lukaku from tactics perspective, so it's mostly the trio of Martial, Rashford and Miki for two spots in the squad)
Mata is a very good option to have from the bench, and Fellaini can do a good job when we go all long. Then there are Lingard and Pereira too, or Herrera getting Pogba's position and Pogba slotting in number 10. Plenty of options even if we start our three best attackers together (which we should). I mean, which manager doesn't start all his best attacking players together in order to have an option from the bench? That would make no sense.

RC89

Glad to see him play well, and am also desperate for him to start.

Rashford was excellent in the second half especially, but he's also very capable on the right. On current form, I'd play both wide, with Mkhitaryan in the 10.
What i would do too

MadMike

Martial instead of Mata cos based on this performance he deserved his starting spot...
Despite being a Martial fan I maintain that Mata is quite deserving of a starting spot. Especially in games where the opposition is packing a tight defence. His movement off the ball is great, he ghosts into the box and creates chaos. He was also our most clinical player last season till his injury.

I don't think we have a strongest front 4. Oace is not everything. It will depend on the occasion. We won't always have a front 4 either, we'll play 4-3-3 in many games I'd wager.

ntripunovski

Despite being a Martial fan I maintain that Mata is quite deserving of a starting spot. Especially in games where the opposition is packing a tight defence. His movement off the ball is great, he ghosts into the box and creates chaos. He was also our most clinical player last season till his injury.

I don't think we have a strongest front 4. Oace is not everything. It will depend on the occasion. We won't always have a front 4 either, we'll play 4-3-3 in many games I'd wager.
Well I do believe that Mkhitarian and Mata are way too simular... And this year we do have a more creative middle when Matic and Pogba are in the same team so Im really looking forward to see how a line up that will include Matic-Pogba-Mkhitarian with wingers like Rashford and Martial and Lukaku upfront will play.... I guess the chances will be one after another

shield

Yesterday he looked willing to take the defender every time he had the ball. Same with Rashford.

I genuinely think that Martial is a way better player (especially in the left wing position) so no idea why Mourinho is favoring Rashford. Especially considering that Rashford can play equally well on the other wing, and a front three of Lukaku, Martial and Rashford would have insane pace.
I also am of the opinion that Martial is more technically gifted than Rashford. But I feel Rashford's natural game is what Mourinho appreciates more. I actually like to see both playing together in the same team. I loved the initial arrangement of Van Gaal where both Rashford and Martial were playing together and were developing an excellent understanding with each other. Mourinho however sees Rashford as a winger so it is mostly one over the other.

shield

Which is a large part of the reason why I don't want us to buy Perisic. I don't see Martial getting games in that case. We have a big enough squad.
Yes, me too. I think getting Perisic will really affect Martial's game time. Also, I don't know how good Perisic is and whether getting him is worth disturbing the progress Martial is making. Like, having Martial in good form, similar to what he showed in his first year could be great for our team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I also am of the opinion that Martial is more technically gifted than Rashford. But I feel Rashford's natural game is what Mourinho appreciates more. I actually like to see both playing together in the same team. I loved the initial arrangement of Van Gaal where both Rashford and Martial were playing together and were developing an excellent understanding with each other. Mourinho however sees Rashford as a winger so it is mostly one over the other.
I don't think he 'sees Rashford as a winger'. If he did, he would have signed another striker, as he would only have one in the squad. I think he sees him as able to play wide, but he is first choice understudy to Lukaku, as he was for Zlatan.

Modern forwards are becoming more and more flexible, and 'able to play across the front' is applicable to both Martial and Rashford. Even Lukaku was played on the right by Martinez while he was trying to develop his game.

Danillaco

Why is everybody puttinh Martial in direct conflict with Marcus? Surely Mata would be the odd man out. He should be confronting Mkhi for the spot, no?

Of all the front four, he was the "less good".

Decomposing In Paris

It was a preseason match. You can try out a few things. It does not matter if it is the best team in the world. We did end up losing it but in the larger scheme of things, we had a lot of positives. We stand to benefit if we can get the best out of Martial.

Also, managers change formations regularly during matches. The players are supposed to adjust. Lingard is not particularly suited to any formation. If Mourinho wants a player to track back then his wingers will have to do it. I would have liked to see how Martial performed in the formation used that day. You are assuming that he would have been rubbish.

I would rather Martial learnt to improve his game so that he can do what Mourinho wants from him. The drop in quality from Martial to Lingard is substantial.

Also, Martial is playing well. You choose to ignore it. What do you mean by "a couple of moments"? If you do that then all good performances can be summed up as "nothing special but a couple of moments".

Anyway, hope he gets to starts today. Let's see how it goes.
I'm not assuming he would have been rubbish at all. I personally just feel that Martial is better off playing closer to the opposition's goal for 30 minutes than he is playing 90 at wingback. I see that as protecting Martial. He did well when he came on, made an impact, & bagged himself a goal & an assist. That will have been noticed in France for instance, in a World Cup year. On the form of the last 12 months, he's unlikely to start for France... but if he can get a reputation for making an impact off the bench, then he's a real asset. He needs to build up his confidence again, and if he can do that by being a game-changer off the bench against tired players... I see that as one route towards him fulfilling his potential. Not the only route, but one. In my opinion Martial is a major talent, but a character than needs to be carefully managed. A heavy defeat against Real Madrid was a genuine possibility, which our choice of formation impeded the possibility of...

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
That's just annoying to watch. We're in one of our worst periods in decades (last 3 years) and that is one of our most exciting prospects. Jose seriously needs to get a grip of the situation because it's sad to see.
It's quite clearly an in joke and they all know he doesn't smile. They've said it before in interviews, some people just don't show emotion.

C3Pique

It's like he's still sulking about not being our starting CF. As a second striker I think he's more polished than Rashford - his first touch and composure in the finish for the goal was streets ahead of Rashfords current end product. But I think Rashford will be a better player at his peak with more unpredictability and shooting such as when he hit the post.

At the end of the day José must see more potential in Rashford in training and wants to give him more game time than Martial who is a similar player. But Martial will have a part to play on the left and I think he will fill in for Lukaku at times when we play twice a week.

OldTrevil

:lol: Shows great team spirit among the boys how easily they take the mick of each other, seems a very tight group. Martial should not be on the bench though, Jose should ease some of his strict attitude rules. You don't get a talent like Martial often.

Bwuk

Would love to see Martial play as a second striker just off of Lukaku.

Lukaku
Mkhi - Martial - Mata
Pogba - Matic​

Something like that.

KN5

As was Rashford playing against the same past it Zabaletta. It's a luxury to have both Rashord and Martial as they are both brilliant talents but right now Martial is just a level above, especially in terms of his end product. Still I think Rashford does better work defensively and works harder than Martial so I can see why Mourinho picks him. It is a very close call between the two of them.
Rashford has outperformed Martial for literally 6 months now, I love them both but Rashford is better.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think this is relevant here. Too much is being made about him not smiling.
Of course he thinks he deserves more minutes.
He was obviously upset about staying on the bench but he come on with the right attitude.
He wanted to show his manager he deserves to start.
That's not the attitude of a player that's looking to leave.
Rashford has outperformed Martial for literally 6 months now, I love them both but Rashford is better.
Very debatable.
Imo, Rashford also had a poor season.

Dante

Average bang
Martial gives you one half-decent dribble per 90 minutes. Rashford is better at everything else as things stand.

KN5

Think this is relevant here. Too much is being made about him not smiling.

Very debatable.
Imo, Rashford also had a poor season.
Rashford had a really poor spell last season but eventually came up with the goods, he's younger, more consistent, and the recent past has proven that. Once Martial can consistently play well, I'll admit he's better, until then, we can just work with what we have, the proof are in the vods, go and take a look.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Martial gives you one half-decent dribble per 90 minutes. Rashford is better at everything else as things stand.
Don't think Rashford is a better finisher, don't think he's a better dribbler don't think his decision making is better.
That said, I think it would be silly getting into a debate about the two as they're very different kind of attackers imo.

KN5

Don't think Rashford is a better finisher, don't think he's a better dribbler don't think his decision making is better.
That said, I think it would be silly getting into a debate about the two as they're very different kind of attackers imo.
If you think Martial had better decision making than Rashford you quite obviously event watched this team, maybe you thought this was a different forum maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.