g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Anthony Martial image 9

Anthony Martial France flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Good lord!
Funny isn't it :lol:

I don't know how you guys do it and keep going back and forth with posters who aren't up nor interested in any rational debate.

The first thing I do in threads is identify them irrational posters and simply ignore to engage in what would be futile and endless debates with them.

Icemav

What the f are people parroting on about. Mou is managing these two young talents perfectly. It is leading to goals, assists and brilliant player development. They are competing for minutes at a very big club and stepping up to the challenge. It is also tactically very smart and a nightmare for opposition defences... these two rapiers will remain fresh all season which will torment right backs. If people would prefer an alternative formula then I would politely suggest they are being moronic.

yfoFC

Funny isn't it :lol:

I don't know how you guys do it and keep going back and forth with posters who aren't up nor interested in any rational debate.

The first thing I do in threads is identify them irrational posters and simply ignore to engage in what would be futile and endless debates with them.
It's weird isn't it, they conveniently forget rashford also "limped off" against Burton but still found himself in the starting line up at the weekend or that fellani is doing really well in pogba's position and will never in a million years think of a rotation between those two

If you point out these facts to them, they then perform some mental gymnastics and shifting of goal posts to validate their already invalid points... at this point, I give up. There's no changing anyone's opinion in here and we'll just keep going back and forth with no purpose to it

itso 7

There was a point in the game when de gea launched the ball to mata on the right wing and the counter attack was on with space to delve into... alas our Spanish maestro just turned around and passed backwards killing off a potential goal scoring chance and I thought what if rashford was there?

I know mata has his qualities but this rotation should be between himself and michy for the no10 spot as they are not producing the goods regularly enough compared to these two young ones yet they get a free pass like they are not held to the same standard

Jose is a very stubborn man and I doubt he'll change his ways especially when the results keep pouring in but sometimes you just wonder to yourself, "what if...? "
This is what I have been saying in a nutshell. Mata won't lose the ball as cheaply as Mkhitaryan so our build up would improve massively and Martial seems to be growing as a wide playmaker which would complement Mata, Lukaku andi Rashford more. I think we should be playing that front 4 against teams we expect to beat then play 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 against the more difficult sides with Ander coming in to add bite. Mkhitaryan should be on the bench until he learns to get the basics right or be on train to scouseland to join the growing legion of United rejects at Everton.

itso 7

There was a point in the game when de gea launched the ball to mata on the right wing and the counter attack was on with space to delve into... alas our Spanish maestro just turned around and passed backwards killing off a potential goal scoring chance and I thought what if rashford was there?

I know mata has his qualities but this rotation should be between himself and michy for the no10 spot as they are not producing the goods regularly enough compared to these two young ones yet they get a free pass like they are not held to the same standard

Jose is a very stubborn man and I doubt he'll change his ways especially when the results keep pouring in but sometimes you just wonder to yourself, "what if...? "
This is what I have been saying in a nutshell. Mata won't lose the ball as cheaply as Mkhitaryan so our build up would improve massively and Martial seems to be growing as a wide playmaker which would complement Mata, Lukaku andi Rashford more. I think we should be playing that front 4 against teams we expect to beat then play 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 against the more difficult sides with Ander coming in to add bite. Mkhitaryan should be on the bench until he learns to get the basics right or be on train to scouseland to join the growing legion of United rejects at Everton.

itso 7

You can't say this isn't planned though. Its almost to a T as to how he treated Mkhi last year, all the way to posters crying about how he was dropped after a good performance.
This is such an extreme example with Rashford playing so well so he may as well stick with what works. Theres no point in rocking the boat in the hope of only being in the situation we're already in.
Did he play as well against Southampton and Everton? Honestly speaking do you think Martial would have been given as long a leash if had been the one to play as shit as Rashford did against Everton? If the players were being treated equally and merit was being applied there wouldn't be this debate but one is being held back and the other being given the platform to learn and perform. Despite that blatant favouritism Martial is still just as productive but being denied proportionate rewards.

itso 7

You can't say this isn't planned though. Its almost to a T as to how he treated Mkhi last year, all the way to posters crying about how he was dropped after a good performance.
This is such an extreme example with Rashford playing so well so he may as well stick with what works. Theres no point in rocking the boat in the hope of only being in the situation we're already in.
Did he play as well against Southampton and Everton? Honestly speaking do you think Martial would have been given as long a leash if had been the one to play as shit as Rashford did against Everton? If the players were being treated equally and merit was being applied there wouldn't be this debate but one is being held back and the other being given the platform to learn and perform. Despite that blatant favouritism Martial is still just as productive but being denied proportionate rewards.

OneUnited24

Glad he has the week off after seeing him get a knock there at the end
Has to start vs Liverpool. After the last international break Jose picked most of the players who had been away with their national team and we looked so leggy vs Stoke. This time i would like us use players that stay behind.

Siorac

Has to start vs Liverpool. After the last international break Jose picked most of the players who had been away with their national team and we looked so leggy vs Stoke. This time i would like us use players that stay behind.
Unless two of Rashford, Mata and Mkhitaryan pick up an injury and thus are unavailable, he has zero chance of starting. Lingard is more likely to start at Anfield under Mourinho.

OneUnited24

Unless two of Rashford, Mata and Mkhitaryan pick up an injury and thus are unavailable, he has zero chance of starting. Lingard is more likely to start at Anfield under Mourinho.
The only reason i'd like him to start is because hes one of the few not going on international duty. But fair point. Jose approach to the Liverpool game wont be to go all out attack

Siorac

The only reason i'd like him to start is because hes one of the few not going on international duty
And there are tons of reasons I want him to start, not least because I think he's our best attacking player but he won't start. Not a chance. He is very unlikely to start any big game this season, unless injuries force Mourinho's hand.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
The only reason i'd like him to start is because hes one of the few not going on international duty. But fair point. Jose approach to the Liverpool game wont be to go all out attack
Also, I remember him giving Trent-Arnold Alexander a really tough night when we last played them when he was sulking for most of last season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Felt for Ward yesterday. Must have wanted the ground to open up.
Run ragged by Rashford all game then this animal shows up.:lol:

MikeSmalling

Though his dribbling and close control are certainly wonderful, he's been so effective at changing pace to beat defenders this season. He waits for defenders to approach him or commit to a challenge and then with either a body feint or burst of pace he's off in a different direction, often using their inertia against them. It seems to be a simple skill on the surface but watching a player use it almost to perfection is such a joy to watch.

He's been playing well and I'm loath to criticize him, but in games where he's playing 60+ minutes his movement and work rate drop off at times, and for that reason I understand why Mourinho might opt for someone else in a tough contest against a team that will likely have a fair share of the possession.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Might have something to do with the childish attitude he had last season. Rashford has been a model professional since Jose joined. Martial hasn't.

And is it beyond the realms of possibility that Jose simply prefers Rashford as a player to Martial?

This idea Jose hates Martial is getting old quickly.

Silas

Might have something to do with the childish attitude he had last season. Rashford has been a model professional since Jose joined. Martial hasn't.

And is it beyond the realms of possibility that Jose simply prefers Rashford as a player to Martial?

What childish attitude?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

It's possible Jose prefers Rashford as a player, it's just that that seems odd to some, given that they think Martial is better than him.

You would think the superior player would be preferred.

TheRedScot

In Any Fight It’s The Guy Whose Willing To Die Who
I still think martial is our player with the highest ceiling. This rotating with Rashford looks to be pushing him in the right direction. Although i believe there will become a point in where one of them need to nail the position down. if Tony Can bring the same hunger hes showing in the last few months, i believe he can not only cement his position. But be a future POTY candidate

ivaldo

It's possible Jose prefers Rashford as a player, it's just that that seems odd to some, given that they think Martial is better than him.

You would think the superior player would be preferred.
Well Jose thinks Rashford is the superior player. And considering Rashford better rounded game, that's a perfectly reasonable conclusion.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well Jose thinks Rashford is the superior player. And considering Rashford better rounded game, that's a perfectly reasonable conclusion.
In his opinion, which is obviously not shared by many posters on the caf, hence the debate.

ivaldo

In his opinion, which is obviously not shared by many posters on the caf, hence the debate.
It is shared by plenty. Just not the over zealous Martial fans who complain about his absence regardless of his our performance or indeed Rashfords. Rashford has been directly involved in 9 goals in 10 games and yet we are led to believe hes been shit. It's sad that so many united supporters vehemently criticise a wonderful young talent like Rashford just because their favourite player isn't getting as many minutes as they'd like.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
What childish attitude?
Just another myth in the long running list of made up nonsense people have made up about Martial.

Whenever a young player has a rough period, people on these boards assume that it's down to attitude and shamelessly pass it as fact and push that agenda.

The Bloody-Nine

Just another myth in the long running list of made up nonsense people have made up about Martial.

Whenever a young player has a rough period, people on these boards assume that it's down to attitude and shamelessly pass it as fact and push that agenda.
So it's a myth that his agent was openly talking up a loan move to Sevilla last season because Martial wasn't playing? Interesting.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
So it's a myth that his agent was openly talking up a loan move to Sevilla last season because Martial wasn't playing? Interesting.
How is that a childish attitude? If we go by what agents say, so many players would fall under that category. And his agent never said he wanted to go on loan.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It is shared by plenty. Just not the over zealous Martial fans who complain about his absence regardless of his our performance or indeed Rashfords. Rashford has been directly involved in 9 goals in 10 games and yet we are led to believe hes been shit. It's sad that so many united supporters vehemently criticise a wonderful young talent like Rashford just because their favourite player isn't getting as many minutes as they'd like.
:yawn:

itso 7

Mourinho also preferred Oscar to KDB, ask Chelsea fans how they feel with that now given how both players have turned out?

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
He had a good performance yesterday, apart from that he was shit against Everton and poor against Southampton ? don't see the big problem.

The Bloody-Nine

How is that a childish attitude? If we go by what agents say, so many players would fall under that category. And his agent never said he wanted to go on loan.
Throwing your toys out of the pram because you were dropped is childish, yes.

"We are studying the Sevilla option in detail," Lamboley told ABCdeSevilla.

"Sevilla are a very good club, are in a good position in La Liga, play in the Champions League and have a great coach. That's all I can tell you."

ivaldo

He had a good performance yesterday, apart from that he was shit against Everton and poor against Southampton ? don't see the big problem.
Oh look MThomas wants to tell everyone how shit Rashford is. You're becoming a parody mate.

itso 7

What about Martial's 11 in 8? Is that not a great return considering the time spent on pitch by both players?

ivaldo

Mourinho also preferred Oscar to KDB, ask Chelsea fans how they feel with that now given how both players have turned out?
I fail to understand the point you're trying to make. Are you trying to tell me Jose is a poor judge of player? Or that in picking a player who has 9 goals/assists in 10 games and has a better rounded game than his counterpart is some catastrophic decision?

haram

Oh would you stop whining? Mourinho wants to set his team out in a specific way and has specific tactics. Just because they play in the same position does not mean they offer the same things. How difficult is that to understand? Rashford offers him something specific and is carrying out instructions given to him by Mourinho.

That's why even after a poor performance against Everton he is still favoured. It's not fecking rocket science. We're fecking winning he doesn't need to change anything.

ivaldo

Where did I say how shit Rashford is ? I said he was shit vs Everton, which he was, and poor vs Southampton, which he was.

I don't really understand this need to try and create false arguments.
You're continued criticism of the player and lauding of Martial in both this thread and the Rashford thread isn't transparent at all.

Everyone was shit against Southampton. Believing Martial would have made a difference when we couldn't get out of our half is silly.

ivaldo

If you fail to understand the point regarding De Bruyne (Who is now a crucial player at City) and Lukaku (who is scoring for fun for us), who were both talents at Chelsea, I'm not sure if any of us can be of much assistance to you
It would make sense if the player who is in front of him wasn't playing incredibly well, but I wouldn't expect you to pick up on that while you're distracted photoshopping Martials face onto your family photos. The situations aren't remotely comparable.

ivaldo

What about Martial's 11 in 8? Is that not a great return considering the time spent on pitch by both players?
It is a great return. I wouldn't argue that. Seeing as both players are returning similar figures then it's hardly a travesty Mourinho opts for the player who works harder defensively, runs more and has a better delivery from set pieces now, would it?

Kind of why I'm not moaning that Mourinho is treating one player differently than the other or declaring some irrational hatred. I'm happy with either player starting, both are getting plenty of minutes and seem motivated and happy with their current roles? Why the incessant whinging when it's going so well?

Status
Not open for further replies.