6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

manunited1919

Robben was exceptionally fast and loved to dive. Very different type of player to Martial. I don't see any great similarities.
Thanks. I thought the diving part came later, with experience. But back on topic, it’s Martials willingness to take on players, dribbling, and great shooting ability that made me think of Robben who also played a few years under JM. But I agree with your point about the difference in speed.

manunited1919

I think he's not as fast as Robben (even at 33 the bloke was rapid), but is physically stronger and therefore can develop his game beyond that trade mark cutting in and shoot.

That said, Robben also had a mean free kick on him in his prime. Martial has shown good crossing ability but his dead ball ability is a bit meh.
All good points. Does Martial remind you of any other player?

cyberman

He dribbles like Messi in terms of constantly touching and moving the ball as he waits for the shift in balance from the defender.
Its two different overall styles but both allows them to dribble in tight spaces unlike the Bale / Ronaldo types who need space to run onto.

InfiniteBoredom

All good points. Does Martial remind you of any other player?
The obvious comparison is Henry, with that uncanny shooting technique, although Henry did have a much larger repertoire of skills.

In terms of dribbling style, he reminds me of this bloke at times, although the latter's speed with the ball at his feet is something maybe only Messi can match.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Being rested for the cup game is a good sign that it'll be a front 3 of martial, lukaku and Sanchez against Spurs :drool: Maybe in a 3-4-1-2 even, with them 3 drifting around up top.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Robben is more dynamic and explosive. Martial isn't really a winger.
He’s a modern inside forward, freedom to attack the box but has responsibilities out wide.

An Irish Red

Being rested for the cup game is a good sign that it'll be a front 3 of martial, lukaku and Sanchez against Spurs :drool: Maybe in a 3-4-1-2 even, with them 3 drifting around up top.
It's not that long ago that we had practically nothing out wide. Now we'll have Martial on one side and Alexis Sanchez on the other.

If that's not evidence that we're moving in the right direction then I don't know what is.

manunited1919

The obvious comparison is Henry, with that uncanny shooting technique, although Henry did have a much larger repertoire of skills.

In terms of dribbling style, he reminds me of this bloke at times, although the latter's speed with the ball at his feet is something maybe only Messi can match.

It’s a real pleasure to watch that video again, but Ronaldo’s dribbling skills are unreal. I don’t see the similarity with Martial, but I do hope you are at least partially right.

MadMike

It’s a real pleasure to watch that video again, but Ronaldo’s dribbling skills are unreal. I don’t see the similarity with Martial, but I do hope you are at least partially right.
Me neither to be honest. Martial's dribbling mostly involves a sudden change of direction or luring the defender into a lunge and nicking the ball before him. Ronaldo used a far wider and more elaborate set of dribbles when similar age to Martial. From his trademark and very common step overs, to elasticos and occasional roulettes.

In his short peak from 94-98, before the injuries, he absolutely terrorised defences and could run through a whole defence on his own. I've not seen that level of explosiveness from Martial. This could also be attributed to modern day fullbacks and centre backs being more athletic than 20 years ago. But in any case, Martial in not having the impact that Ronaldo had. And I'm not speaking strictly in terms of goals, since Ronaldo played as a CF that comparison would be quite unfair. I mostly talking about the way he tore through defenders. He was an absolute menace.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Best player ever was R9. Well, along with Messi.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
If anything, Martial is much more similar to Messi in dribbling than R9. R9 liked to make you dream with his skillful dribbling, Messi and Martial (oof, it's weird to put those two in the same sentence) are more about straight business, they're just going to get past you without trying to inspire kids to fall over the ball trying to do step-overs and flip-flaps.

Footyislife

If anything, Martial is much more similar to Messi in dribbling than R9. R9 liked to make you dream with his skillful dribbling, Messi and Martial (oof, it's weird to put those two in the same sentence) are more about straight business, they're just going to get past you without trying to inspire kids to fall over the ball trying to do step-overs and flip-flaps.
Agreed. Watching Ronaldo was pure art; like watching Federer or Tiger in their peak. Sucks he had his injury troubles. The most complete forward i've ever seen.

Don't get me wrong, Messi is just as effective if not more, but does it all with acceleration, agility, and close control. Let's be real, Messi is way better than Martial at dribbling. Martial is amazing, but Messi is a god. Martial needs to learn some more tricks cause with his technique, pace, & strength he just needs to add that element of unpredictability to his game to become unplayable. I'm glad to see the long shots added to his game, i want to see him do it while beating players on the dribble. If he can do that, players won't be able to back of off him, giving him even better advantage in beating them 1v1.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Foxbatt

His flick around the corner for the Lingaard goal( I can't remember against whom) was pure class. He needs to play more to gain experience and that will bring better decision making. He is a class act and way better than Rashford.

haram

His flick around the corner for the Lingaard goal( I can't remember against whom) was pure class. He needs to play more to gain experience and that will bring better decision making. He is a class act and way better than Rashford.
Arsenal?

Foxbatt

Since Jose came this has been the first time he is getting a regular run in the side. He needs to get his understanding going with his team mates and Lukaku especially. Once he gets that he will become a fantastic player. We must remember that he is still very young and it took Henry a while to get to where he was. In the beginning he was not that good and could not even get into the Juventus side after he came from Monaco.

RonW

We all thought Martial was a panic buy and for the future when LVG bought him on Deadline day, it makes me wonder how Martial would be developed had he remained at Monaco for one more year, does anyone think he would have gone on to have a great season just like Mbappe and would have had all the big teams chasing his signature?

meamth

Martial lacks the Brazilian Ginga style, which is the exceptional stepovers, aerial ball control and difficult footwork.

Martial is fast alright, but he ain't dribbling like a proper Ginga.

Luiz Ronaldo is the proper Pele reincarnate, a true Ginga much like Ronaldinho and the recent heir; Neymar.

A brief intro about Ginga:
Ginga is about doing that surprise move or trick.Ginga is about bending the ball around the defender or playing the ball with your heel to a cutting teammate. Ginga is about making a pass with your thigh or even your back. Nike presents Ginga, the soul of Brazilian football.

Last edited:

InfiniteBoredom

Martial lacks the Brazilian Ginga style, which is the exceptional stepovers, aerial ball control and difficult footwork.

Luiz Ronaldo is the proper Pele reincarnate, a true Ginga much like Ronaldinho and the recent heir; Neymar.

Ginga is about doing that surprise move or trick.Ginga is about bending the ball around the defender or playing the ball with your heel to a cutting teammate. Ginga is about making a pass with your thigh or even your back. Nike presents Ginga, the soul of Brazilian football.
I see it in terms of frame, power, and the way he maneuvers past player by changing direction suddenly to fashion a shooting chance. Younger players will pick up techniques from watching the older ones, or being taught those techniques by coaches at a youth level, popularised by the generations before them so the new ones will be an almagation of the old ones, not mini-versions of them.

Many liken him to Messi, yet the one thing about Messi is his exceptional pace when dribbling and extremely low centre of gravity, both of which Martial lacks. He uses his upper body way more in his maneuvers.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

You’re completely wrong mate. Ginga have no soul. Everyone knows that.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Can’t see the Ronaldo comparisons and he is more limited in range than Messi. His style has also changed a lot since he joined. He’s much more minimal and efficient now. I’d like him actually use what he’s learnt but go back to the tricks again. He’s not lost them, I think it’s just a change in style. Not sure who I’d compare him to, really.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's always reminded me of Anelka in his Arsenal days, if he goes on to have the same career we'll have had a great player (even if he's not quite the Henry mrk II everyone hoped)

owlo

Peak R9 was like peak Mike Tyson. Stone cold killer, you couldn't touch him.

Martial unfortunately will never be in the same discussion.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't get the Ronaldo comparisons either.
He's nowhere near as explosive.
I don't really think you can compare his style.

Canagel

Martial isn't as explosive as he was when he first arrived. He seems to have bulked up a bit which can sometimes affect your agility and speed of thought but he uses his energy in a better way now. He has been extremely efficient upfront, playing in between the lines but he struggled last season playing out wide because teams were doubling up on him and I also believe he didn't get along with Zlatan on and off the pitch. This season he's a lot more relaxed, happier and I've noticed the relationship he has with Lukaku is much better. Those two upfront have looked very good together and that's how Martial should be utilised more. The more closer he is to goal the more dangerous he becomes but now with the addition of Sanchez teams can't double up on him so he'll have more space to operate even out wide. The guy is on his way to being World class and within 3-4 years he can win the Ballon Dor if he keeps improving.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
He has a very smooth dribbling style, there are times Martial cuts open defenses like they aren't there.

Greck

Martial isn't as explosive as he was when he first arrived. He seems to have bulked up a bit which can sometimes affect your agility and speed of thought but he uses his energy in a better way now. He has been extremely efficient upfront, playing in between the lines but he struggled last season playing out wide because teams were doubling up on him and I also believe he didn't get along with Zlatan on and off the pitch. This season he's a lot more relaxed, happier and I've noticed the relationship he has with Lukaku is much better. Those two upfront have looked very good together and that's how Martial should be utilised more. The more closer he is to goal the more dangerous he becomes but now with the addition of Sanchez teams can't double up on him so he'll have more space to operate even out wide. The guy is on his way to being World class and within 3-4 years he can win the Ballon Dor if he keeps improving.
Think most player's dribbling effectiveness is always going to be reduced once opponents compile dozens of hours of footage on it. His debut goal for example was a prime case study of how not to defend Martial as a defender.

Although it's been pretty entertaining to watch Martial counter teams adjustments like with the goal against Burnley

Blind17

He hasn't started most games when he was his natural self, so he had to change his natural game..

Santoryo

ripping the reward
By the way shouldn't he be in contention for player of the month along with Jose as manager of the month? He's scored in all league games so far this month and we've won all our games without conceding.

Both he and Jose have a good shout at winning and depending on the Spurs result should be favorites.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
By the way shouldn't he be in contention for player of the month along with Jose as manager of the month? He's scored in all league games so far this month and we've won all our games without conceding.

Both he and Jose have a good shout at winning and depending on the Spurs result should be favorites.
Top 6 attacking player stats:

City play West Brom next so Aguero might be favourite for the player award but if we get a positive result against Spurs with Martial or Pogba contributing it should give one of them the edge.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

City play West Brom next so Aguero might be favourite for the player award but if we get a positive result against Spurs with Martial or Pogba contributing it should give one of them the edge.
Forgot Aguero hat trick against New castle, skewed his stats. Though what might give Martial the advantage is that he's contributed in all league games so far this month and if he carries on against Spurs he's cert to win it.

Mou has an even better chance of winning it. Conceded none, perfect winning record as well, all that's left is do business against Spurs and we're over the line. Tired of seeing Pep pick up that manager of the month award, Mourinho should also start his run from this month :angel:

We could actually end up winning all of player, manager and goal of the month, we've scored some beauties lately.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Martial should be the favourite, Aguero scored a hat trick in one game and lost his only tough game while we've won all 3. Needs a good performance and United not to lose to Spurs, if he gets a goal or assist then he's got it IMO, if pogba does then it's his I'd say. Or I really hope so for Fifa purposes :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.