Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is there another player you’d rather have with the ball at his feet on the left corner of the box? Has to be a short list, though Mason is working his way up it.
Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar, Mbappé or even Messi? :angel:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think some people on these boards need to understand the nature of his role and how thankless playing as a striker can be. In the first half before he scored i'd already started reading murmurs of some people complaining about him being quiet. That's unfortunately can happen to strikers in games because of the position they play, they have to be dependent on services and teammates to come alive.

The striker's role is a probing and patient role. He's not gonna get or look as involved as a Bruno in midfield or inside forwards on the sides. He resides in the most packed area of the pitch surrounded by defenders and has to be patient. Drop deep sometimes to get the ball but otherwise for the most part he has to be patient. Unfortunately loads of Caftards don't understand that and after 20 minutes if they haven't seen Martial have a shot on target they start complaining about him being quiet disregarding how he helps our front line with his pressing from the front and opening up spaces on the sides by occupying his CBs, not to mention his link up play.

I wish some people would start understanding this and accept that strikers won't always look as busy or involved throughout the entirety of the game. Their involvement is the most dependent on other teammates around them.
It's the central positioning of Martial.

It was clear today that centrally Bournemouth was centrally defensively dense so our front 3 eventually took in turns to rotate in to central positions whilst also rotating who ends up in wider positions.

Greenwood's goal from LW and then RW. Martials goal from LW. Martials deep free kick win centrally on the turn after having his back against the central back defense for the Bruno Goal.

We for the first time have an interlinking front 3 that have the ability to communicate with their football and Martial is one of the most fluid yet robust players out of them. I dont understand why people think that we would be better with a poacher type goal scorer when we have Greenwood and Rashford as our forwards playing off of him out wide.

Some people will just see the central number 9 shirt and cry for the goals they expect but ultimately- central goalscorers as the main goal scorers in your team has been a diminishing tactic for over a decade.

Idxomer

Reminiscent of some of his goals during his first season.

The exchange and flexibility of positions between him, Rashford, and Greenwood worked really today and got us back into the game quickly.

Ashish Negi

He had two assists today ? I can't even remember him getting one. Do you get an assists for being fouled for a free kick goal?

Regardless, he was class again. Such a complete football. And of course, a lovely goal to take him to 20. Happy for him.
PL count his header for penalty as an assist, his Play to win foul for a free kick as an assist.

Foxbatt

That is what he brings to the game. He can disappear for 85 minutes and then score a brilliant goal. What a goal and what a bend and dip.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Martial really doesn't disappear like many love saying. He helps with the build up and create spaces to attack on the sides. I feel like people don't understand what he brings to the role as a CF beside goals hence why they think he disappears in games despite him being crucial to our plays going forwards even when he doesn't score or assist.

Lj82

Very different game today. His main job - which he did excellently - was hold up play. Drew an early yellow card, the foul for the free kick, and several more fouls at the half-line. And with that role and the congesion, no chance of getting a goal centrally so switched wide annd got it. Very mature CF performance. What I've been hoping for since his second game here (3-2 win vs Southampton, where he combined hold up, dribbling, and finishing).
Good point.
He is proving to be an excellent number 9 for us

flappyjay

As he is playing as a 9 this season Martial f.c have been starved of that right foot curler.

Manowar

You know Martial had a good game when there’s no @Sky1981 in the comment section :p Or Haram, whenever he is now.
Our front 3 is developing nicely, in a year or two, we can definitely challenge the league with them.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
You know Martial had a good game when there’s no @Sky1981 in the comment section :p Or Haram, whenever he is now.
Our front 3 is developing nicely, in a year or two, we can definitely challenge the league with them.
They're probably just waiting patiently for their chance to pounce. It will happen and they will return to bless this thread in glorious fashion.

meamth

For me, Martial's best development since Ole took charge is to see him settled in more with his teammates. Now we can see his influence and chemistry with Rashford, Bruno, Matic..you name it.

He seems more assured and happy, and that is the biggest difference since LvG and Mourinho were in charge.

Happy footballer means better performance,

Credit to Ole.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He was very good yesterday, was not always running for him but a great goal and he was drawing fouls all game. Defenders have to really watch with him as he can dribble and do one twos in tiny spaces and with Bruno, Greenwood, Pogba and Rashford able to get shots off around him it‘s hard to defend against. Greenwood is just as important to Martial as Bruno has been because he’ll hammer in anything that goes to him or comes lose to him.

Mr Smith

I think some people on these boards need to understand the nature of his role and how thankless playing as a striker can be. In the first half before he scored i'd already started reading murmurs of some people complaining about him being quiet. That's unfortunately can happen to strikers in games because of the position they play, they have to be dependent on services and teammates to come alive.

The striker's role is a probing and patient role. He's not gonna get or look as involved as a Bruno in midfield or inside forwards on the sides. He resides in the most packed area of the pitch surrounded by defenders and has to be patient. Drop deep sometimes to get the ball but otherwise for the most part he has to be patient. Unfortunately loads of Caftards don't understand that and after 20 minutes if they haven't seen Martial have a shot on target they start complaining about him being quiet disregarding how he helps our front line with his pressing from the front and opening up spaces on the sides by occupying his CBs, not to mention his link up play.

I wish some people would start understanding this and accept that strikers won't always look as busy or involved throughout the entirety of the game. Their involvement is the most dependent on other teammates around them.
Really good post, doesn't get emphasised enough. This is also why link play has become more important for modern strikers, as wide forwards are just as much goal scorers as their central counterparts these days.

Lj82

The goal was trademark Martial. Great goal but it almost feels like you expect him to score that

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think he's really enjoying his football. The whole team is just having fun and there's a spirit of togetherness. Feels like a bunch of friends playing at this point. He's really getting along with Bruno. There's no game they don't always chat. Was chatting and smiling with Rashford too when they subbed both off. Stark contrast from his usual stone cold face when getting subbed

DarkChild™

What a beauty! Absolutely loving this Martial, means business. Exciting times ahead with our front three.

KennyBurner

All things considered I really think he has been our best player when you take in the whole season. He has scored 20 goals with 7 assiss in his first season as an exclusive 9 without any penalties included. We have had 17 penalties so lets put that into perspective. Really wish he was demanding as a forward and would fight to be taking more pens.

OldTrevil

It's funny to think of all the ridiculous myths that have been thrown about on Martial's game over the years, and so satisfying to see him answer each and every one of them on the pitch in the first full season, since his debut one, that he has been trusted to play his game and improve. He's having a great season but I'm not holding my breath for any accolades, just excited to watch Anto playing his football.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
All things considered I really think he has been our best player when you take in the whole season. He has scored 20 goals with 7 assiss in his first season as an exclusive 9 without any penalties included. We have had 17 penalties so lets put that into perspective. Really wish he was demanding as a forward and would fight to be taking more pens.
He's scored 1 penalty in Europa.

yardieUnited

Martial really doesn't disappear like many love saying. He helps with the build up and create spaces to attack on the sides. I feel like people don't understand what he brings to the role as a CF beside goals hence why they think he disappears in games despite him being crucial to our plays going forwards even when he doesn't score or assist.
Spot on, my thoughts exactly

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I just dont get the reason why people hated him so much that some wanted him sold - like why?

The guy is clearly a good support striker that helps the players around him (as seen when he doesnt play) and he is atleast more than good enough to be in our squad - even if he one day gets overtaken by a new number 9 - the guy is good enough to be within our squad as a back up striker by quality, relative consistency, versatility and his ability to be a support striker/False 9 instead of a normal poacher CF which is rare and good reason to have him in the squad.

The hate he got (he still gets it even now toned down when performing) is just 'fans' pointing out at certain player's they think are the reason for a lack of success when infact the team/squad has many gaps that has only recently been made better. ( 2 creative CM in the same team with Bruno and Pogba, a left footed RW able to cut in in Greenwood playing closer together to Martial and Rashford instead of touchline huggers who cross the ball, AWB gets freedom to attack at RB due to an inverted cutting forward, Matic a proper CDM who is able to recycle possession to our deepest playmakers etc)

acnumber9

He’s scored one penalty and missed one. Good numbers but there’s no way he’s been our best player this season.

E-mal

He’s scored one penalty and missed one. Good numbers but there’s no way he’s been our best player this season.
Our season is by no means over and we are now in the business end of it, where moments can decide how we end it so for me I have got 3 players up there and it is undecided.

Status
Not open for further replies.