Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Why is a big deal being made of this being the 3rd game in a row Martial has scored in? Didn't he score like 6 in a row last season? It was around the time of the away games at Bournemouth and City (when he scored a pen)

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Why is a big deal being made of this being the 3rd game in a row Martial has scored in? Didn't he score like 6 in a row last season? It was around the time of the away games at Bournemouth and City (when he scored a pen)
Yes. 6 goals in 5 consecutive games.

1 vs Newcastle home (GW8), 2 vs Chelsea away (GW9), 1 vs Everton home (GW10), 1 vs Bournemouth away (GW11), 1 vs City away (GW12).

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Both have the same output in the same number of minutes (not counting PKs), yet Rashford is inspirational and has kicked on and become a true United player, but Martial is sulking, inconsistent and needs to be replaced?

The agenda is just unbearable. Both of them are great talented young player who have stepped up and carry our dogshit attack this season, often alone. Both of them have stretches of being ineffectual, or scoring when their game overall is subpar, as is expected playing with a midfield devoid of creativity as ours.
I think what we've seen in Martial since Rashford's injury is what we saw in Rashford when Martial got injured, it took both some time to get to grips playing without the other but in the end both have stepped up and will hopefully be the better for it in the years to come

Martial only 2 short now of matching his best tally for us in a season

cyberman

Both have the same output in the same number of minutes (not counting PKs), yet Rashford is inspirational and has kicked on and become a true United player, but Martial is sulking, inconsistent and needs to be replaced?

The agenda is just unbearable. Both of them are great talented young player who have stepped up and carry our dogshit attack this season, often alone. Both of them have stretches of being ineffectual, or scoring when their game overall is subpar, as is expected playing with a midfield devoid of creativity as ours.
Rashford is a bundle of energy, incredibly direct and is constantly looking for the ball.
Martial has a reserved style that takes him out of the game for large portions at a time. Im a fan of Martial as seen by my posts in this thread but Rashford was petrifying sides this season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Rashford is a bundle of energy, incredibly direct and is constantly looking for the ball.
Martial has a reserved style that takes him out of the game for large portions at a time. Im a fan of Martial as seen by my posts in this thread but Rashford was petrifying sides this season.
Yet their output is the same....

Rashford was pretty poor when Martial was injured

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That’s practically impossible now isn’t it? He’s constantly dropping in between the opposition lines to receive a pass. Unfortunately he’s struggled to get them to stick which makes him look like he’s out of the game but definitely not because of reserved style.

Cristiano Ronaldo would have struggled with Jesse and Andreas ‘playmaking’ behind him

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Great goal. I just wish we could see more off the ball movement from him in the box. I wanna see more tap-ins and poacher's goals from our number 9

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Yeah, generally that is right with Rashford playing on the left. Playing as a striker, I'd say Martial is a lot more active than Rashford who is more reserved in that position. Martial do struggle to follow the game when he is low on confidence but I think his movement is what matters and any lack of aggressive energy isn't a problem in it self. It's just not as visually pleasing as watching Rashford's attitude but not many forwards has that spark that Rashford has.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Remember how the haters used Ighalo getting passed a shattered Chelsea defence in the 90th minute to critise Martial. :rolleyes: that's not against ighalo mind you - just highlighting the hate against martial.

Personally- I believe the more we use this guy to his strengths than his weaknesses, the better he will be whilst coaching him better to work on his flaws.

Let him play deep and let the other forwards make the runs in to the box from out wide - let Martial decide to either make a late runs in to the box or wait for cut backs around the spaces that have not been taken up.

I think that's how you unlock the consistency to his game.

What we saw from Rashford this season as a inverted forward/winger was his most natural game & likewise when martial was playing as a false 9 next to him it was the same - though Ole wasn't allowing him to drop too deep nor was playing a proper right sided forward all the time.

If we fix this - he will be more than good enough for United atleast as a one to one competition of tactics to a more traditional striker vs a false 9 like Martial. Good to have the ability to have different tactics & different abilities in our set up like that.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Remember how the haters used Ighalo getting passed a shattered Chelsea defence in the 90th minute to critise Martial. :rolleyes: that's not against ighalo mind you - just highlighting the hate against martial.

Personally- I believe the more we use this guy to his strengths than his weaknesses, the better he will be whilst coaching him better to work on his flaws.

Let him play deep and let the other forwards make the runs in to the box from out wide - let Martial decide to either make a late runs in to the box or wait for cut backs around the spaces that have not been taken up.

I think that's how you unlock the consistency to his game.

What we saw from Rashford this season as a inverted forward/winger was his most natural game & likewise when martial was playing as a false 9 next to him it was the same - though Ole wasn't allowing him to drop too deep nor was playing a proper right sided forward all the time.

If we fix this - he will be more than good enough for United atleast as a one to one competition of tactics to a more traditional striker vs a false 9 like Martial. Good to have the ability to have different tactics & different abilities in our set up like that.
No.

Kentish

Great goal, I’d start him midweek to hopefully bag and keep the confidence flowing. Take him off at 55/60 mins providing we’re a few goals up.

This kid is full of ability, easy to forget he’s only 24 which is still pretty young for a striker and like has been mentioned, for 3 years his development was stunted somewhat under Jose.

I feel like if he can stay fit then a realistic target should be 25 goals minimum in all comps, that would set him up nicely to get into the French squad (which I think would do his confidence well) and then have his best goal scoring season next season as we challenge for big honours with Rashford, Sancho, Bruno & friends... :p

Hawks2008

I don't think he played that well but scored a nice goal, 3 in a row now. Hope he can keep it up as we need match winners coming into our tricky run of games.

InfiniteBoredom

And being the bundle of energy he is, when he’s out of form or frustrated, Rashford tends to overplay, keeps running into blind alley, sending speculative shots into Row Z. Just look at his player performance thread early on this season when Martial was out for 2 months, before he went on his scoring streak.

I’d argue that an out of form Rashford is more detrimental to the team’s output as a whole, compared to Martial, while Rashford in a hot streak is better suited to carry the team than Martial. Horses for courses.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Anybody bitching about Martial or Rashford this season are clueless about what our actual issues are. Same applies to people who moan about Fred, Maguire, AWB, among others.
Too right. Pereira & Lingard nowhere near the team and we actually put in a half decent performance. Who would have knew?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
On Martial, while I do concede that I personally miss the exceptional dribbling ability he used to showcase and have also mentioned that his intensity could be upped, as has now been done, I think people tend to be too harsh on him. We want him to score and assist every game, and also beat men for fun, and also not give the ball away, all while playing in what is generally a very disjoint and uncreative Manchester United team.

As I've said before he and Rashford are doing very well for us. We should seek to improve our collective and in particular the areas of weakness so our better players get more support. And Martial is one of our better players. He always has been.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You put Firminho in this team and he will also be inconsistent. You just need better players than James,Lingard & Pereira for him to deliver consistently.

Shame that he,Pogba, Rashford and Bruno wouldnt play together.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
And we should have built the team around this guy. Still time though.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The goal was incredible I was in disbelief, I was sure the ref had whistled for offside or something and that Martial was taking the piss like players do when the ref whistles at times

Champagne Football

Martial has reached a higher level in the past month. Before that he was inconsistent, and unreliable in certain games. Hopefully he can keep kicking on

Shark

@NotShark
He really does remind me of Dimitar Berbatov at times. Can look completely uninterested and out if the game, then produce a a piece of outrageous skill to win you a match.

Canagel

The goal was incredible I was in disbelief, I was sure the ref had whistled for offside or something and that Martial was taking the piss like players do when the ref whistles at times
The most telling thing of all is that nobody looked shocked. It's quite obvious he does some madness like that in training very often

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Martial has reached a higher level in the past month. Before that he was inconsistent, and unreliable in certain games. Hopefully he can keep kicking on
The variety of goals he can score is very very interesting now. Before it was mostly about curling it with finesse or power, now he's showing he has much more in his locker. He also hit the post with his left foot.

The most telling thing of all is that nobody looked shocked. It's quite obvious he does some madness like that in training very often
He's a "baller" for sure. A real one, not a pretender

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I've decided that the tear has officially started. Despite still being the same hard to watch for the majority of the game that was a quality and adept finish despite it being a bit of a jammer of a goal in general. An important one. Glad to see a United player actually get the stroke of luck off a broken chance, guys pushing up, Foster being miles off his line and bizarrely nobody getting back on the goal line with no keeper? :lol: Thought live that VAR was going to chalk it off as well as I thought he was offside but it didn't even look like they checked it. VAR is a mess :lol:.

SmallCaine

On Martial, while I do concede that I personally miss the exceptional dribbling ability he used to showcase and have also mentioned that his intensity could be upped, as has now been done, I think people tend to be too harsh on him. We want him to score and assist every game, and also beat men for fun, and also not give the ball away, all while playing in what is generally a very disjoint and uncreative Manchester United team.

As I've said before he and Rashford are doing very well for us. We should seek to improve our collective and in particular the areas of weakness so our better players get more support. And Martial is one of our better players. He always has been.
He also has to smile, smiling is important, if he doesn't smile then he is proclaimed as a baby stealing, scouse supporting, lazy, good for nothing deadwood by "man utd" fans.

cyberman

And being the bundle of energy he is, when he’s out of form or frustrated, Rashford tends to overplay, keeps running into blind alley, sending speculative shots into Row Z. Just look at his player performance thread early on this season when Martial was out for 2 months, before he went on his scoring streak.

I’d argue that an out of form Rashford is more detrimental to the team’s output as a whole, compared to Martial, while Rashford in a hot streak is better suited to carry the team than Martial. Horses for courses.
But that was an out of position Rashford as well? Hopefully this number 9 nonsense is finished with

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
In the same play he frustrated me and amazed me: frustrated because he should had finished that killer pass that put him on the keeper face, where he had the time to do whatever he wanted, and amazed because he had the cool to wait and make a dummy instead of shooting immediately with his left foot.

Foxbatt

Just because he disappears for 80 mins in a game does not mean he is inconsistent. So long as he scores goals like this or scores or create goals I do not care what he does for 80 mins of the game. He could be standing there and throwing paper planes for all I care. It is the result that matters. Why do some people think that he has to run like a headless chicken for 90 mins?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
In the same play he frustrated me and amazed me: frustrated because he should had finished that killer pass that put him on the keeper face, where he had the time to do whatever he wanted, and amazed because he had the cool to wait and make a dummy instead of shooting immediately with his left foot.
Theres no need to be frustrated. It wasn't that great a chance. The keeper closed down the space well by the time he got it. And no striker finishes every chance.

OL29

I’ve been saying this for ages, every time Martial has a bad game, it’s always down to his attitude, he’s not afforded the luxury of simply being inconsistent, unlike most young players. In turn, the vitriol is amplified as people have made up their mind that he isn’t trying.

Shimo

Big fan of Martial and bugs me how people analyze his demeanor on the field to equate it to apathy or not trying. Think he is just different to the other more helter skelter runners like say a Rashford. I don't think he needs to be all gung-ho all the time, the smarter pressing can be just as effective if not better long term.

What I really don't get from him at the moment though is why he simply doesn't play more like a traditional CF that has been asked of him. A while back he himself talked about how he needs to be more of a goal scorer, get and stay in between the posts. Ole keeps commenting about how he keeps having to get him to play the role but, isn't getting that from him. There was a passage of play yesterday, think Greenwood played the ball across the goal but, for some reason Martial was hanging back. He just doesn't seem to be taking that more poacher / CF type of traits on. He has shown that he is capable of it.

MadMike

Big fan of Martial and bugs me how people analyze his demeanor on the field to equate it to apathy or not trying. Think he is just different to the other more helter skelter runners like say a Rashford. I don't think he needs to be all gung-ho all the time, the smarter pressing can be just as effective if not better long term.

What I really don't get from him at the moment though is why he simply doesn't play more like a traditional CF that has been asked of him. A while back he himself talked about how he needs to be more of a goal scorer, get and stay in between the posts. Ole keeps commenting about how he keeps having to get him to play the role but, isn't getting that from him. There was a passage of play yesterday, think Greenwood played the ball across the goal but, for some reason Martial was hanging back. He just doesn't seem to be taking that more poacher / CF type of traits on. He has shown that he is capable of it.
Partly because he has played the previous 3 seasons out wide, instead of being a striker. Partly because making runs in the box is a bit of mental conditioning, you need to believe that your teammate will put the ball in the box instead of passing it backwards. We've been very bad at doing that over the years so it's natural that he's not conditioned to run into the 6-yard box.

Sterling was the same when he moved from Liverpool to City and it took a while to get used to the diagonals of KDB and Silva. But when he did, he was always lurking in the far post for a tap-in. His output tremendously increased after that.

Martial isn't dumb, like some make him out to be. If he sees those balls delivered more regularly he'll start making those runs.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Two things, he doesn't play more like a traditional CF because he isn't a traditional CF, the same way Firmino, Benzema, Rooney and many other players aren't and weren't traditional CF, that request is in itself extremely weird. Secondly the phase of play that you are talking about is also a strange one in the context of the CF talk for two reasons, in that movement he had switched position with Greenwood, Greenwood was the "CF" and Martial right side attacker. But the crucial point is that what he failed to do has nothing to do with the CF role, as a wide player you need to close the far post when one of your teammate is in a position to cross or even shoot, a lot of players don't do it and it's for example how Ronaldo scored many of his goals as a left inside forward. Martial simply failed on that occasion.

It's a problem that we have in general, Lukaku used to completely ignore the far post and run to the first post or stay in the middle, Rashford sometimes does it but often doesn't, James never does it and same for Greenwood, they all generally expect to get the ball at the first post or at the edge of the box.

SAFMUTD

His goal was class, but before the shot I think his turn around was the real trick, if you watch the goal with detail you can see how the defender runs into the goal when he see’s Martial going for the rebound and as soon as Martial gets the ball and turn his back to goal the defender leaves the goal line assuming Martial cant shoot from
that angle and thats when the turnaround does the trick and leaves Martial hoping the ball into an empty net. Real class.

Status
Not open for further replies.