Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmarUnited4ever

I'm really worried about him now, he is 100% out of form and looks like league 1 player now, its really shocking, and the last thing i care about is him scoring goals, his overall playing dropped, he used to run at defenders, dribble, shoot, hold up the ball, what the hell happened to the guy??!!!

Posh Red

He’s been poor this season and I doubt the persistent racial abuse is helping at this stage, almost like a vicious circle. He actually seems to be getting worse rather than improving.

Cast5

I want to see him running at defenders, when you’re playing out wide you have to commit people and make things happen, I love Martial when he’s up for it, would love him to regain his confidence. He just needs to commit people more, doesn’t matter if he loses the ball just keep runnning at them, passes it back and side ways way more than he used to. It’s all down to confidence for me.

peanuthead

For all kinds of reasons, let’s drop him for 5 or 6 games.
I kinda agree but that's too much games probably 2 or 3 we have City and Chelsea coming up in the league soon, we're gonna need him. Its not like all of our forwards are in red hot form anyway. Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood and Martial are all in shit form right now. We could could rationalise it how much we want but our frontline is misrifiring no matter who's out there.

Thiagoal

He doesn’t have the mentality of a top player and never will! He’d be better off at a club with lower expectations and less pressure! Should have sold him years ago and not been blinded by his occasional purple patches!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He doesn’t have the mentality of a top player and never will! He’d be better off at a club with lower expectations and less pressure! Should have sold him years ago and not been blinded by his occasional purple patches!
I've always said that about him being a 9 but maybe it's more than just that position.

romufc

I agree with this. He is so frustrating to watch when he is this mood. I can't believe Ole starts him, he is at best to be on the bench.

I am tired and fed up of Martial, he gave us nothing against WBA and has given us nothing all season. He needs to be sold rather than hoping for the odd purple patch.

the_cliff

I want to see him running at defenders, when you’re playing out wide you have to commit people and make things happen, I love Martial when he’s up for it, would love him to regain his confidence. He just needs to commit people more, doesn’t matter if he loses the ball just keep runnning at them, passes it back and side ways way more than he used to. It’s all down to confidence for me.
This is the thing that's so annoying with regards to Martial, there is a brilliant player in him it's just his weak mentality that's holding him back. He's easily the best dribbler in the team, yet doesn't dribble anymore. It's so confusing, his close ball control while dribbling is excellent, it's hard to find a player with that in Europe but he never tries to beat his man anymore.

Reactions: Sultan

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Why are people blaming racism now for his dip in form? I don't support racism but with Martial each season we seem to find a new excuse for his form.

edcunited1878

Why are people blaming racism now for his dip in form? I don't support racism but with Martial each season we seem to find a new excuse for his form.
It just compounds his year long situation and adds another layer to it...he's not the most confident person and his mentality/drive has always been questioned...now he has keyboard warriors abusing him.

MattofManchester

I don't know why Mason would be more of a gamble than Martial. Mason seems to be picking up his form a bit but Martial seems rather be going the other way.
Well, he hasn't got many chances there for the first XI, and Ole seems to keep making excuses for why Greenwood can't play as the 9 every chance he gets.

Frankly I think it's a better option than Martial this season.

We may see it if Martial isn't fit enough to play.

spiriticon

Tony Martial came from France
English press said he had no chance
Fifty million down the drain

The Daily Mail's got it right again...

Alvaro Maestre

It just compounds his year long situation and adds another layer to it...he's not the most confident person and his mentality/drive has always been questioned...now he has keyboard warriors abusing him.
I do understand this, but let's be real, two years ago was Zlatan and the shirt number, 3 years ago was an affair, 4 years ago was who knows what. If his professional form is affected by his personal business + the internet, then he doesn't have what it takes to be at United.

Raven

I do understand this, but let's be real, two years ago was Zlatan and the shirt number, 3 years ago was an affair, 4 years ago was who knows what. If his professional form is affected by his personal business + the internet, then he doesn't have what it takes to be at United.
Yeah... because Rooney, for example, didn't allow off the field issues effect his form. Honestly, such short memories.

RedDevilzFox

Talented guy who could be the next level player if only he had the mindset of someone like CR7. That oversimplifies things somewhat, but that's the long and short of it.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I just think he cannot push himself. There have been times where a good ball gets knocked into the box and he does not make the run. Look, i am raising the bar high, but Ronaldo makes those runs. Ronaldo just has the drive that Martial lacks.

Cypriot

I kinda agree but that's too much games probably 2 or 3 we have City and Chelsea coming up in the league soon, we're gonna need him. Its not like all of our forwards are in red hot form anyway. Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood and Martial are all in shit form right now. We could could rationalise it how much we want but our frontline is misrifiring no matter who's out there.
Disagree. Greenwood is in exceptional form, unless you meant solely goalscoring wise, in which case I agree because he seems to be lacking there too of late.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I just think he cannot push himself. There have been times where a good ball gets knocked into the box and he does not make the run. Look, i am raising the bar high, but Ronaldo makes those runs. Ronaldo just has the drive that Martial lacks.
Yeah, his off-ball movement has always been poor/average. He just doesn't have it in him, for whatever reason. I know people often go on about him being lazy, etc - which he can certainly look at times - but does he have the footballing brain to do it? I used to think he just couldn't be arsed, but it's a skill like anything else, and some players are way better at it than others. He just struggles to anticipate things.

A player who always stuck out in my mind as a recent-ish example was Sane at City. When he was at his best and playing well, he was excellent at making those runs. Obviously things didn't work out for him at City and I'm not sure how he's getting on at Bayern, but he was brilliant off the ball.

G-manc

The most damning assessment of his form i can give is that i'd rather see James starting ahead of him now on the left.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Yeah, his off-ball movement has always been poor/average. He just doesn't have it in him, for whatever reason. I know people often go on about him being lazy, etc - which he can certainly look at times - but does he have the footballing brain to do it? I used to think he just couldn't be arsed, but it's a skill like anything else, and some players are way better at it than others. He just struggles to anticipate things.

A player who always stuck out in my mind as a recent-ish example was Sane at City. When he was at his best and playing well, he was excellent at making those runs. Obviously things didn't work out for him at City and I'm not sure how he's getting on at Bayern, but he was brilliant off the ball.
100%.

I think part of it is not being fired up. When i was younger playing football, if i was fired up i was good. When when i could not be bothered, i was useless. I just think Martial lacks that drive to do it 50 games a season for ten years.

Glorio

There must be something going on in training that makes Ole certain on the fact that he'll come good, and has him convinced that it's worth trying to play him into form at the expense of the team. I'm one of his biggest fans but at the minute, I'm not seeing it.

I think Martial has a lot to offer still but needs to be seen as backup (or challenger) to Cavani for the number 9 position and nothing else. I.e. if Cavani plays, he should be on the bench rather than moved to the left, which shoehorns Rashford on the right, thus weakening both wide forward positions.

It seems to me that his wide play has regressed since he's started playing CF - almost as though he's playing like a CF in a wide role. If you watch him receiving the ball when we've tried to play him from the left, he almost always plays with his back to goal (and backing into the full back) where wide players would more often be running into space and facing the full back. When playing wide with ones back to goal, the only option most times is to pass it back which is what invariably ends up happening. On the odd occasion you might turn the defender and for a CF it means you're facing the keeper, for a wide player though it's a lot less dangerous.

When he does play as a CF though his movement needs to be much better, and he needs to be more patient. Most times at the start of the game, he actually does look to make runs, but as the games wear on, his runs become fewer and very quickly, he just appears to give up and stand still waiting

MattofManchester

So are you saying Rooney's form didn't suffer due to off field issues? Yes or no.
What personal issues pray tell is Martial currently undergoing at the moment?
What issues has he had that he's put in dismal performances since the Copenhagen game last season?

Raven

What personal issues pray tell is Martial currently undergoing at the moment?
What issues has he had that he's put in dismal performances since the Copenhagen game last season?
You'll notice that I was replying to a comment that said that people who allow off the field issues effect them, aren't United material, I was merely pointing out that one of our all time greats had exactly that issue. But please, do go on.

JuriM

Dont compare Rooney to Martial please....
After Rooney - Anthony has probably got the most criticism about his off field activities. (Out of maybe only Pogba, whose case is a bit different & more about his agent than himself)

That has to leave a mark to a personality who isn't the most confident about his mentality and demeanor.

Alvaro Maestre

After Rooney - Anthony has probably got the most criticism about his off-field activities. (Out of maybe only Pogba, whose case is a bit different & more about his agent than himself)

That has to leave a mark to a personality who isn't the most confident about his mentality and demeanor.
So Beckham is not on that list? Giggs? Plenty of scandals and criticism for their off-field activities. Every United player has a massive target on their back by their off-field activities, so it's up to them if they take the pressure or end up like Zaha or Depay that have expressed their feelings about this subject. Martial, the way he behaves under pressure, shows that he is not the right fit for United ( same as with the France NT).

JuriM

So Beckham is not on that list? Giggs? Plenty of scandals and criticism for their off-field activities. Every United player has a massive target on their back by their off-field activities, so it's up to them if they take the pressure or end up like Zaha or Depay that have expressed their feelings about this subject. Martial, the way he behaves under pressure, shows that he is not the right fit for United ( same as with the France NT).
I said after Rooney, Giggs & Beckham were before that.

Zaha & Depay are different cases, neither were here long enough to understand them actually.

redshaw

Can't say I've heard or read a thing about Martial off the pitch.

Not like I buy the papers but you know about Rooney, Beckham, Memphis, Pogba, Greenwood, Lingard and way back to Giggs and Sharp whether true or not but Martial, never read anything about him even on here, thought he was a complete mouse. It's all on the pitch criticism. The biggest thing I remember about him was again on the pitch before the Chelsea game at home (1-1 I think) with him standing still in the warm up looking very sulky

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Can't say I've heard or read a thing about Martial off the pitch.

Not like I buy the papers but you know about Rooney, Beckham, Memphis, Pogba, Greenwood, Lingard and way back to Giggs and Sharp whether true or not but Martial, never read anything about him even on here, thought he was a complete mouse. It's all on the pitch criticism. The biggest thing I remember about him was again on the pitch before the Chelsea game at home (1-1 I think) with him standing still in the warm up looking very sulky
Really?

Hes been a bit of a scoundrel off the pitch. Cheated on his Mrs loads and even when she was pregnant I believe.

But none of that really comes into it for me though. The big issue with him is he's a sulker. He sulked when we signed Ibra and he's sulking now we have Cavani.

Good players are motivated by competition. Average players are intimidated by it.

I don't see him leaving though. Who can afford him and his wages right now? Not too many clubs.

MattofManchester

You'll notice that I was replying to a comment that said that people who allow off the field issues effect them, aren't United material, I was merely pointing out that one of our all time greats had exactly that issue. But please, do go on.
But what does that have to do with the issue of Martial's current form?

It feels like leading down another road of excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.