Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It would have been a sin for a manager to not win a major trophy with this bunch of talent. So many skillful players yet they play a boring football under him. To act as if Deschamps was coaching some mediocre players and turned their fortune around is bs.
You are spouting nonsense. Deschamps was the key to the win, the football wasn't the best but who cares since he won. I'll never understand this bitterness some people have about the way France won the WC.
The goal is to win, not to entertain a bunch of weirdos

OldTrevil

Exactly and it’s a shame because they have the players to play some magical stuff under a progressive manager.
Yeah Deschamps has been shockingly conservative with a insanely loaded squad for some time, but wins so gets away with it. It heavily cost them at Euro16 in my view, where a progressive coach would have ended the argument against a weak Portugal much earlier in final game, or at least sprayed their goal with attempts.

tjb

When you judge Deschamps you are not talking about right now, you are talking about the past that started in 2012. For the vast majority of that period France had poor strikers(outside of Benzema and Giroud with Giroud being the best performer), no quality fullbacks, one good CB and only Ribery playing at a high level. It was still the case in 2016 and things started to change in 2017 with the emergence of talented players who still had little experience at the top level. And no I'm saying that he turned average players into world beaters, I'm telling you that he built a team from day one and that it's a crucial part of France success. Football isn't just about fielding 11 players on the field.
If being pragmatic wins you the world cup, I don't see what the problem is. In fact you can make an argument that it has for the last 18 years. France's biggest assets are their defensive players ( kante included) and the pace of mbappe and their other forward players. They don't have a kroos or thiago to dictate games and don't need to. They are an attacking side that plays on the counter against top opposition. 98 France won the world cup mostly on the back of their defence, 2006 Italy's defence was the main reason they won in 06. Spain's ability to keep the opposition at bay for 90 minutes with their defensive possesion is the reason they won their world cup and Germany in key games against France and Argentina relied on their mature defence.

AshRK

You are spouting nonsense. Deschamps was the key to the win, the football wasn't the best but who cares since he won. I'll never understand this bitterness some people have about the way France won the WC.
The goal is to win, not to entertain a bunch of weirdos
I don't know where your read me saying france did not deserve to win or I have bitterness for france winning. The nonsense aspect is you taking my post out of context. So what is wrong in wanting to see this france side with this amazing bunch play expansive and free flowing football. That doesn't mean I am discrediting france's win. Now if you feel the win was solely or mostly because of Deschamps then you can have that opinion as I don't buy that.

criticalanalysis

The hesitation in front of the goal from Martial lately is slightly worrying, he needs to pull the trigger quicker than that. He seems at times to want to dribble with the ball into the net. Hopefully, it's just a hiccup and he returns to his lethal self with the new season.
It's something he needs to work on a lot. I'll be very surprised and annoyed if Ole hasn't spotted it.

He does all the hard work to get a yard ahead or create space but he takes an extra touch far too often for my liking. The Copenhagen and Seville games come to mind.

It's nice to be cold in front of goal and want to play chicken with the keeper by dallying and creating that hesitation but more times than not, the easier option is just to hit towards goal when the space has been created. Ole was a master at this.

KennyBurner

The hesitation in front of the goal from Martial lately is slightly worrying, he needs to pull the trigger quicker than that. He seems at times to want to dribble with the ball into the net. Hopefully, it's just a hiccup and he returns to his lethal self with the new season.
Yh he could have scored if he released it sooner. I'd rather he score than have greizmann throw all his hard work away. Not worried yet!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don't know where your read me saying france did not deserve to win or I have bitterness for france winning. The nonsense aspect is you taking my post out of context. So what is wrong in wanting to see this france side with this amazing bunch play expansive and free flowing football. That doesn't mean I am discrediting france's win. Now if you feel the win was solely or mostly because of Deschamps then you can have that opinion as I don't buy that.
Nothing is wrong with wanting the current side to play better. The world cup was won in its style, it wasn't beautiful but often teams win things the boring way.
You have your right to think Deschamps wasn't the main reason for the win, you're just completely wrong.

Rolaholic

Looking forward to seeing him and Mbappe in the same starting XI together

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Looking forward to seeing him and Mbappe in the same starting XI together
Mbappé will most likely not start, PSG have a game Thursday and Deschamps wasn't happy about that scheduling.

Rolaholic

:D
Mbappé will most likely not start, PSG have a game Thursday and Deschamps wasn't happy about that scheduling.
Oh :annoyed:, so much for that then :lol:

For now at least until the next international break next month

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
And Kylian just tested positive for the coronavirus, so he's definitely out. Such a shame, was looking forward to seeing a Martial, Ben Yedder, Mbappe trident against Croatia.

Rolaholic

Seems like a slight dig at Mourinho
I didn't see it that way at first but I definitely could see how it could be interpreted that way.

It would be a bold move on Lloris's part given how he's now his manager but if you could take it that way I'm pretty certain Jose himself will too :lol:

JPRouve

Scout
And Kylian just tested positive for the coronavirus, so he's definitely out. Such a shame, was looking forward to seeing a Martial, Ben Yedder, Mbappe trident against Croatia.
I saw that a second ago. :lol:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Maybe start then get subbed off right a bit into the second half?

What? This could mean other players could have tested positive then. Who else is out form the French squad?

JPRouve

Scout
Maybe start then get subbed off right a bit into the second half?

What? This could mean other players could have tested positive then. Who else is out form the French squad?
For the moment it seems that he is the only one that tested positive and he was sent home.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Positive is that he will most likely start in place of Mbappe tomorrow

Negative is that there's a chance he's got COVID since Mbappe is positive to it.

Man I wish. Knowing Deschamps though he won't bench Giroud or Griezmann until starting them leads to an Euro/WC elimination.

Zoo

Goal, assist and a smile on his first start for the French in years. Yes Tony!

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Goal, assist and a smile on his first start for the French in years. Yes Tony!
Just like that, Tony puts France ahead. They were pretty dreadful at first but since the last 5 minutes, they started combining. Ben Yedder and Martial with good link up for Griezman's goal, and again Ben Yedder puts Martial through.

slored1

He's going to score more than 30 goals in all competitions this season, mark my words.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
"Too disinterested and too inconsistent for me"

Damien Delaney
:rolleyes:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
France don't have a midfield and they play some horrible football. Attack bailing them out and hiding their mediocrity in general.

How has is overall game been? Has he struggled to get much ball?
Attackers are struggling to get on the ball given the non existent French midfield. Attack basically decided to bail France on their own with moments of individual qualities and some good combination. They are left starving for the most part.

He hasn't, no one has.
He actually has been whenever he's been on the ball which are been few times

JPRouve

Scout
He actually has been whenever he's been on the ball which are been few times
He hasn't been class, be serious. Like everyone else he has spent the first period playing without intensity and being bullied by croatians. I love Martial but there is no need to sugar coat his performances.

TsuWave

a goal and an assist? We move

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He hasn't been class, be serious. Like everyone else he has spent the first period playing without intensity and being bullied by croatians. I love Martial but there is no need to sugar coat his performances.
He has spent the first period not getting on the ball(France midfield is awful) but the few times he's been on the ball he's been good, same with Griezman and Yedder hence why the goals came from their individual brilliance and link up. The Attack has been good from France considering they're being fed on scraps.

But I agree the intensity overall has been mediocre for the whole team.

Edit: That defending though

JPRouve

Scout
He has spent the first period not getting on the ball(France midfield is awful) but the few times he's been on the ball he's been good, same with Griezman and Yedder hence why the goals came from their individual brilliance and link up. The Attack has been good from France considering they're being fed on scraps.

But I agree the intensity overall has been mediocre for the whole team.

Edit: That defending though
No the attack has been shit, they don't make runs, they don't chase the ball when it's slightly overhit and they press without intensity when they feel like pressing. Let's not pretend that they are not part of the problem, Martial included even though Griezmann and Ben Yedder have been worse.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
No the attack has been shit, they don't make runs, they don't chase the ball when it's slightly overhit and they press without intensity when they feel like pressing. Let's not pretend that they are not part of the problem, Martial included even though Griezmann and Ben Yedder have been worse.
True the intensity has been lacking from the whole team and you're right the attackers aren't chasing balls. But one think I'd like to point out is that the lack of intensity and pressing look like instructions. The attackers don't press the defenders when they have the ball but rather keep shape.

JPRouve

Scout
True the intensity has been lacking from the whole team and you're right the attackers aren't chasing balls. But one think I'd like to point out is that the lack of intensity and pressing look like instructions. The attackers don't press the defenders when they have the ball but rather keep shape.
No it's not an instruction since we can hear Deschamps telling them to move their collective backsides, they are just out of it.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
@JPRouve Did you hear that? I just heard Deschmaps tell Martial to "lesse la passe, Tony lesse le" when he tried to press. :wenger:

CG1010

:D

Oh :annoyed:, so much for that then :lol:

For now at least until the next international break next month
If Martial grows at the international level now (as I am sure he can) then Ole' profile globally would also go up massively as people will see him as the manager who turned the boy around

Status
Not open for further replies.