Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpheus 7

Awful 9, he's better out wide but serious questions need asked long term. Performances aren't good enough. Bruno and Rashford were poor tonight, Martial was pathetic. Diving in the box, movement in the box. Did he even test there keeper? I really wish we cashed in now. Martial has not progressed enough for me.

reddevil702

Having a true striker like Cavani has really magnified Martials shortcomings as a 9.

Raven

And here they come, the cretins out of the wood work.

Nowhere near the worst performance on our side but pretty poor nonetheless. I thought in the first half he was decent, like the rest of the team but we got played off the park in the second half.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag

Nowhere near the worst performance on our side but pretty poor nonetheless. I thought in the first half he was decent, like the rest of the team but we got played off the park in the second half.
Why are you talking about yourself like that? Is that the infamous self-deprecating humour?

dirkey

I love when people get butt hurt when players are criticised after a bad performance. In martial case, another one. Entire season of them.

Do you think he's good enough to be our number nine?

Bwuk

Rashford was the only one trying to get in behind. It made us too easy to defend against. Martial was shocking tonight.

Irwin99

That dive was embarrassingly bad. At least drag your feet a little to make the contact

Not having the same impact this season sadly.

Raven

Why should someone be immune from criticism if they play shit?
Never said that, in fact, if you bothered to read and quote the rest of my post, I criticised him myself. What I'm against is people flooding into the thread seconds after a loss demanding our players be sold. It's embarrassing.
Why are you talking about yourself like that? Is that the infamous self-deprecating humour?
Christ. How old are you?
I love when people get butt hurt when players are criticised after a bad performance. In martial case, another one. Entire season of them.

Do you think he's good enough to be our number nine?
Yes.

Ludens the Red

There was a moment where Rashford delivered a quality ball across the 6 yard box, and Martial just wasn't quite there.

That pretty much sums him up for me. Lots of silky touches, but he's just not quite there. He scored a very similar goal vs Villa, but when you lead the line for United, you need to be in that danger zone time and time again.
Yep and this is the major problem. People sometimes point to Firmino but his positioning is offset by Mane and Salah. We don’t have that threat from the inside forward positions so we need Martial to be in the box and playing as a predator.
I don’t even think it’s something that can be trained into him because I just don’t think he has the mentality.

dirkey

Never said that, in fact, if you bothered to read and quote the rest of my post, I criticised him myself. What I'm against is people flooding into the thread seconds after a loss demanding our players be sold. It's embarrassing.

Christ. How old are you?

Yes.
You think he's good enough? Consistent enough?

el3mel

Anyone who wants to live in La La land in which his favorite player is only praised and never criticized, should just put the performance thread on ignore.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Every player or manager we criticize means we're his "haters". So, so cringey.
Imagine having eyes, watching mens football and thinking he's a top player. We'd be laughing so much if he was Liverpool's striker.

In comparison threads, we'd be mocking them for claiming he was better than Rashford or is in the top five forwards in the league. We'd call them deluded.

HoustonRed

Typical Martial performance. Maybe one of those moves come off some games. freestyling game, no pattern play, feels like just winging it, and hoping for some lucky ball at his feet in good position.

dirkey

Imagine having eyes, watching mens football and thinking he's a top player. We'd be laughing so much if he was Liverpool's striker.

In comparison threads, we'd be mocking them for claiming he was better than Rashford or is in the top five forwards in the league. We'd call them deluded.
Yep. Liverpool supporting friend text me a few times about him today "christ, martial is so bad."

"he's basically city best defender"

"can ole not see he's killing ye?"

I guess he's just a hater.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He will get most of the blame today also because of his form this season, but in order to win big cup games we also need at least 1 good midfielder who can control the game and keep the ball and we need to be more compact but also smart as a team. Our strikers need to be clinical again no doubt, but you can’t always rely on them. It wasn’t City’s attacking players who scored today.
They played without a fecking 9! The same as us!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
In my mind he's pretty much on akin to a Lacazette... Maybe it's because they're both French, maybe it's going back to the thing where I feel like Martial is an Arsenal player... But yeah, that's where I see him.

Superunknown

When was his last run? Honestly, I don't even remember a good performance this season, let alone a run. I'm sure there must have been good performances, but I don't remember them.

He's just not good enough. We know. Stop sticking with him ole.
His post-Covid form was great though. This season not so much.
Yeah, his form after the first lockdown was great and he really looked like he had turned a corner. He just simply hasn't taken that form into this season. It's like it never happened.

Hawks2008

Has some ability but his bottom level is so poor, we cannot continue to put our faith in an unreliable player like him and continue an upwards trajectory as a team.

He's 25 now and he hasn't stopped being streaky, its a massive problem in our team.

SirScholes

They also tried things. All he tried was a dive. His movement is just appalling. The amount of times I get frustrated as I see a midfielder get his head up to look for a pass, and martial is stood beside opposition player looking back at him. No attempt to run in behind. Football IQ is low.
I agree completely
I was sucked into his purple patch last season but sadly that’s all it was
He’s got all the physical attributes and doesn’t use them
Keep him as a squadie
Bring in Haaland and we’d win silverware

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pathetic.

Why didn’t he shoot! I just don’t get it.

it’s like he’s forgotten he’s a striker and just wants to walk the ball into the net.

his hold up play is pretty good but he’s just never going to be a natural striker let’s face it.

Wilt

Made himself look a proper prick ....we’re so interested in getting fecking penalties we forget to shoot

frookydinho

Into season number 6. He won't ever be good enough to lead us to a title as a 9. I no Mason has had a poor season, but so has Martial.

Be fair, give time to Greenwood as the 9, he is clearly our future and clearly an incredible finisher. Let Greenwood develop, let him be that poacher.

I just dread next week when Cavani returns he still won't be considered the main 9 ahead of Martial. There is clear daylight between the two

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I'm a big fan of his (see location) but I'm starting to lose faith. Not because of today, but he really should be way more consistent at this stage. I don't want to go into every match thinking "which Martial is gonna turn up today?".
Same goes for Rashford but he's younger so...
If we have a chance of signing the likes of Grealish and Haaland it should be a no brainer IMO.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
I remember during Mourinho's tenure Martial and Rashford used to rotate and there was a debate about who is better. One has moved on to become our second most important player, while one is still playing like an inconsistent teenager.

Clearly doesn't have the mentality to make it to the top.Never tries hard when it's not happening for him,never works hard to at least compensate for a bad performance.

We need a number nine more than we need a RW.We can gamble on Diallo,Pellistri or even Rashford on the RW.

MattofManchester

Yes. Yes.
If you think a player that hasn't at all improved in 6 years at this club, has short purple patches followed by long periods of poor performances every season is good enough to lead the attack of a club that is trying to reach the top of football again, then that is just sad.

In fact, you would perfectly represent how badly standards have slipped over the years.

Martial has and never will hold a breath of air to the most elite strikers, and that's frankly the end of it.

Its a sad thing, because he was my favourite player when he arrived, but he's had enough time to prove himself and never did.

Enough is enough now. Players who don't have the mentality and ability to succeed at this club should be moved on.
Thats not based on tonight. I was of the same opinion last season and stuck by it.

Wilt

Martial is rapidly becoming my pet hate. His pathetic dive against City just about sums him up.

£13 million a year in return for just 2 prem goals this season ffs ....get rid of him.

Nicolarra90

Had the benefit of the doubt for years since he was young, but not anymore.

He's not good enough for what we should be aiming.

He screams arsenal. Very technical, some great games, super inconsistent... At the end of the day, unreliable.

Raven

If you think a player that hasn't at all improved in 6 years at this club, has short purple patches followed by long periods of poor performances every season is good enough to lead the attack of a club that is trying to reach the top of football again, then that is just sad.

In fact, you would perfectly represent how badly standards have slipped over the years.

Martial has and never will hold a breath of air to the most elite strikers, and that's frankly the end of it.

Its a sad thing, because he was my favourite player when he arrived, but he's had enough time to prove himself and never did.

Enough is enough now. Players who don't have the mentality and ability to succeed at this club should be moved on.
Thats not based on tonight. I was of the same opinion last season and stuck by it.
Thanks for a slightly more lengthy reply, however brainless it is. To suggest he hasn't improved in his time here is nonsense and I think most on the forum would agree that he has strengthened many aspects of his game.

This is the worst form he's had in his entire career at United. Before this season, if he played he produced, generally speaking. The problem with his form before this season was his lack of playing time, nothing more.

He's been in good form over the last month and today was a quiet game against the favourites for the title. He wasn't even the worst attacker on the pitch, let alone player.

peridigm

Had the benefit of the doubt for years since he was young, but not anymore.

He's not good enough for what we should be aiming.

He screams arsenal. Very technical, some great games, super inconsistent... At the end of the day, unreliable.
100% agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.