Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

Thought he was garbage today. There was a moment around the 75th minute where he was knocked off his feet off the field of play, and he just languidly sits there, stretching out a bit, not looking at all bothered to jump back into the fray, which, given that we were chasing the game, would be the minimum expected.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Think Borussia Dortmund is his real level. He'll play a few matches here and there and disappear when he gets sold.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
He was awful out wide too, the last few years he was there
He might be better a bit further out wide maybe? ... near the bench?

Whatever the deal is with AM, and whether or not his fans or his critics are right, we need better. For one of our main forwards to be this poor for this long is unacceptable.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Thanks for a slightly more lengthy reply, however brainless it is. To suggest he hasn't improved in his time here is nonsense and I think most on the forum would agree that he has strengthened many aspects of his game.

This is the worst form he's had in his entire career at United. Before this season, if he played he produced, generally speaking. The problem with his form before this season was his lack of playing time, nothing more.

He's been in good form over the last month and today was a quiet game against the favourites for the title. He wasn't even the worst attacker on the pitch, let alone player.
He had like 3-4 good games the last month, calling it good form is a pisstake. He was annoynmous for the rest of it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I thought his dive was pathetic. It was his solution once he found himself in no man's land

Why didn’t he shoot! I just don’t get it.

it’s like he’s forgotten he’s a striker and just wants to walk the ball into the net.

his hold up play is pretty good but he’s just never going to be a natural striker let’s face it.
Very true and unfortunately something I've thought and felt too. Compare him to a guy like Kane or DLC, when they have a tiny space or opening, they take the shot which increases their odds of scoring. Martial tries to be too cute, takes too many shots and often shots when his favorite angle opens up for him

RUCK4444

Thought he was garbage today. There was a moment around the 75th minute where he was knocked off his feet off the field of play, and he just languidly sits there, stretching out a bit, not looking at all bothered to jump back into the fray, which, given that we were chasing the game, would be the minimum expected.
Not to mention a derby game.

Krits

He’s been out of form for a worrying amount of time now and he doesn’t seem to have the internal drive to reverse it. His problem isn’t technical, but its mental. If the coaching staff can help him with that, we still have a very technically gifted player in our squad. But to me, he and Bruno were the reason we lost last nights game. At this time, we need to plan to replace him.

snk123

He scored in the last game and was one of our best players in the last game. The hate he gets is pathetic. Our whole team was shit today. Rashford has been a selfish prick last few games - has missed sitters but oh no he's english and runs a lot so let's not slate him. Bruno is having a horrid spell last few games and as a result, we haven't created anything.

Pathetic English bias and football IQ - people who have never kicked a football commenting on a performance in which we had 30% of the ball. He made countless runs but was not found. Yes, he was poor by his standards but the hate here is disgusting.

He would make you lot cry when he goes to a rival and performs because he's the most naturally gifted player we've had at this club since Ronaldo.

snk123

His best moment at the club still is his debut... let that sink in.
Scoring an amazing solo goal against the scousers will always be up there as your best moment. It's not that surprising you know that you have to let that sink in.

snk123

Awful 9, he's better out wide but serious questions need asked long term. Performances aren't good enough. Bruno and Rashford were poor tonight, Martial was pathetic. Diving in the box, movement in the box. Did he even test there keeper? I really wish we cashed in now. Martial has not progressed enough for me.
How exactly was Martial worse than them? I remember Bruno missing key passes time and time again - Rashford not connecting to a great cross that would have made it 1-0. Rashford being offside and missing a goal when Martial put him through.
What exactly did Martial do worse that people are going nuts?

We had a horrible team performance. Martial is just an easy target for the haters now.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He scored in the last game and was one of our best players in the last game. The hate he gets is pathetic. Our whole team was shit today. Rashford has been a selfish prick last few games - has missed sitters but oh no he's english and runs a lot so let's not slate him. Bruno is having a horrid spell last few games and as a result, we haven't created anything.

Pathetic English bias and football IQ - people who have never kicked a football commenting on a performance in which we had 30% of the ball. He made countless runs but was not found. Yes, he was poor by his standards but the hate here is disgusting.

He would make you lot cry when he goes to a rival and performs because he's the most naturally gifted player we've had at this club since Ronaldo.
The hate he gets is pathetic but then you choose to hate on Rashford. Nice one

Of course it's a pathetic English bias eh? I must have misread all the criticism of: Maguire,AWB and Shaw.

The last statement is pathetic. Ronaldo in his few yesrs here improved year on year because of his desire to be the best and professionalism. In the same time. Martial has had one good season.

PS: If he's the most naturally gifted player we've had since, it shows how little you know about the club. Ravel Morrison was.

elmo

Being gifted means feck all if it ain't showing on the pitch.

Lukinho

What I ask myself is why he never shoots. He was in a good position nobody attacked him before he dived but he started dribbling and got into trouble. He never shoots always trying to carry the ball in to the goal. But its not just him our players dont do this alot for some reason. Pogba has had a few chances in the last games and Rashford also doesnt shoot. I dont know if its just me or the players really dont do it. Only bruno sometimes

GueRed

we need a proper number 9 this summer

time for Martial to move on

or settle as a back-up/sub left-wing forward

Morpheus 7

How exactly was Martial worse than them? I remember Bruno missing key passes time and time again - Rashford not connecting to a great cross that would have made it 1-0. Rashford being offside and missing a goal when Martial put him through.
What exactly did Martial do worse that people are going nuts?

We had a horrible team performance. Martial is just an easy target for the haters now.
He's been fecking shit all season. Bruno had a very rare bad game. Rashford was poor, been important to us this season. Martial was diving in the box looking for a pen and doing nothing else, never tested the keeper. He's hurting the team and not contributing. Martial fc always find a way to defend this absolute fraud. He's not a proper number 9, it's January and people are still saying it's just bad form. You can't play that poorly for United and expect to start. Sick of the moody head on him and fans defending him. When the chips are down, don't look to Martial to have a moment to change things.

GueRed

It's like playing with 10 men when he's in the team playing like that.

Terrible

*Bruno was just as bad last night too might i add

romufc

Martial is having a stinker of a season. He wants to play up front but he is not delivering at the moment.

He really needs to do better, I keep hearing his all round play, which I tend to agree with but yesterday he was shocking. Probably one of our worst players on the pitch. He did nothing right. He didnt press well, didnt make the right runs, didnt hold the ball up, his passing was crap, he held onto the ball for too long and then to cap of the performance took a clear and obvious dive.

Shame on Martial yesterday.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If you think a player that hasn't at all improved in 6 years at this club, has short purple patches followed by long periods of poor performances every season is good enough to lead the attack of a club that is trying to reach the top of football again, then that is just sad.
That's going overboard. This is only his second long period of poor performances. The first being in his second season.

Since then he's generally performed well anytime he's been given a run in the side, but was the one being most screwed over by Mourinho's refusal to do anything but play Lukaku and Sanchez no matter how badly they played. Before we signed Sanchez Martial had fought his way into being our best attacker, and then when Mourinho finally panicked and gave him a chance again Martial proceeded to save his job for a couple of months before injury and illness had him coming in and out of the team for the second half of that season.

Obviously he's been terrible this season. Over the last month or so there's been a definite improvement but he's still had some terrible games, so it's going to be up to him if he's going to kick back into form properly or whether this is going to continue all season.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I'm going to go against popular opinion here but I think there is a player in there, I don't think he's as good with Bruno, this is because I regularly see Bruno go forward in search of a recovery or a loose ball, Martial then tends to drop deep. His hold up play and shooting are his best abilities but naturally when he drops into that 10 role, it doesn't suit his skills, for that position he needs passing, vision, creativity etc When he plays with Bruno, if we want more from Martial, Ole needs to tell him let Bruno worry about that space, I want you to watch their last line, keep in line with it and wait for the ball behind where you pick the ball up the furthest forward out of players, not receive it deep.

KennyBurner

Finally a sensible comment. I thought I watched the wrong match because he was average but not as terrible as the last 2 pages have made him out to be.

In the first half when he was free you had pogba performing flicks and misplacing the ball. When he starts an attack you have Bruno making fancy passes with the final ball instead of doing the sure simple pass. It’s ridiculous

Renegade

Martial is approaching 25 years old and is currently paid “best in the league” type wages. I don’t want to hear about there potentially being a player in there or he wasn’t as bad as the others etc. This season was meant to be his kick on year and it isn’t happening. He’s paid way to much to be a back up option too so we need to sell and get some money back and invest in a better 9. Experiment done. His a very good player we just need more.

GueRed

Finally a sensible comment. I thought I watched the wrong match because he was average but not as terrible as the last 2 pages have made him out to be.

In the first half when he was free you had pogba performing flicks and misplacing the ball. When he starts an attack you have Bruno making fancy passes with the final ball instead of doing the sure simple pass. It’s ridiculous
Martial was terrible.

As was Pogba, Bruno and Rashford tbh

This coupled with the fact Man City played really well made winning this game an impossible feat.

MattofManchester

That's going overboard. This is only his second long period of poor performances. The first being in his second season.
I think there's been a serious overestimating of Martial. While he did have moments where he influenced the game, on the whole he was poor, and we blamed it on Jose.

When he had chances under Jose, he didn't take it. Even Solskjaer requires his wide players to track back, so the fact he didn't meant he was a liability. His work ethic on the pitch has always been a problem.

His talent will mean he always gets chances, but he's just not consistent enough over 90 minutes and is getting worse.
We need to stop persisting with players like this.

Sylar

He gets frustrated too easily and it seems to affect him more than it should.

It does seem he performs better when there's serious competition and risk of him being subbed off

elmo

Since then he's generally performed well anytime he's been given a run in the side, but was the one being most screwed over by Mourinho's refusal to do anything but play Lukaku and Sanchez no matter how badly they played. Before we signed Sanchez Martial had fought his way into being our best attacker, and then when Mourinho finally panicked and gave him a chance again Martial proceeded to save his job for a couple of months before injury and illness had him coming in and out of the team for the second half of that season.

Obviously he's been terrible this season. Over the last month or so there's been a definite improvement but he's still had some terrible games, so it's going to be up to him if he's going to kick back into form properly or whether this is going to continue all season.
He's terrible for most part apart from his first season and about 15 games for last season.

We're better off letting Greenwood play and learning on the job as it'll be a better pay off than hoping Martial comes good.

He's paid like a superstar but his fan boys only expect him to perform like an 18 year old and excuse his disappearing act 90% of the time.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The fact is the whole team was shit. The whole starting 11.

When atleast 3 or 4 or the starting 11 play well then its alright for me to hear "oh Martial was crap, Rashford was shit, Wan Bissaka is always rubbish, let's forget about the last match, Bruno is so irritating etc - the fact is the whole team was shit.

We didnt really create any amazing chances that the strikers missed. The defensive midfielders didnt hold their position very well and pass to the creative midfielders who did crap all today. The fullbacks were getting moved around (we got attacked much more down the left than the right but people will say we got targeted mostly on wan Bissaka's end for some reason). The CB'S were doing okay except on set pieces which is again there duty and Henderson still has a lot to learn.

Martial has been poor this season but Martial being amazing in yesterday's match when everyone is shit is not going to happen in any different universe - I felt the tactics were wrong or the city tactics were simply better.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think there's been a serious overestimating of Martial. While he did have moments where he influenced the game, on the whole he was poor, and we blamed it on Jose.

When he had chances under Jose, he didn't take it. Even Solskjaer requires his wide players to track back, so the fact he didn't meant he was a liability. His work ethic on the pitch has always been a problem.

His talent will mean he always gets chances, but he's just not consistent enough over 90 minutes and is getting worse.
We need to stop persisting with players like this.
He was quite poor in Mourinho's first season. But in the second he was easily our best left attacker (and our best attacker fullstop for a while). Then at the end of January we signed Sanchez, moved Martial out to the right for a couple of games (where he's never played well) and for the next 9 months he was mostly on the bench. When he did get a chance he was inconsistent and was bouncing between good and poor, but even that was better than Sanchez was performing. Finally in October (when Mourinho was about to be fired) Sanchez was dropped and Martial got a proper run again, and he was instantly our best attacker again.

Yes in a perfect world he would have been more consistent in those chances he got in those nine months, but it's hard to gain any consistency when you're pretty much guaranteed to be dropped for the next match no matter how well you play. Mourinho was an absolute idiot with his management in that situation, and he screwed over Martial, the team, the fans and ultimately himself because of it. If he'd played players on form instead of how much he liked them chances are we would have had better results and he would have stayed in the job longer than he did.

15/16 - played well
16/17 - started poor, got better as the season wore on
17/18 - played well, then wrongly dropped for no fault of his own
18/19 - played well, but missed a lot of games in the second half of the season because of illness and injury
19/20 - played well
20/21 - poor so far.

That's basically Martial's season wrap-up so far. The start of 16/17 and now this season are the only times he's actually played poorly when he's been getting consistent games. The rest of the time he generally hasn't been playing or has been in and out of the team through no real fault of his own. It's made his career look a lot more inconsistent than what he actually has been. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's been amazingly consistent or anything, but he hasn't been anywhere near as bad as many make out. For instance, up until this season he had been more consistent than Rashford over their careers here so far.

Last edited:

Hughes35

Good touch, good dribbling, good short passing............. Poor intelligence, poor movement, poor mentality, poor finishing, poor bravery, poor aggression.

Never been his biggest fan (Other than his first month). If we can cash in, I definitely would.

RUCK4444

Good touch, good dribbling, good short passing............. Poor intelligence, poor movement, poor mentality, poor finishing, poor bravery, poor aggression.

Never been his biggest fan (Other than his first month). If we can cash in, I definitely would.
I would definitely sell him to raise funds for a big bid on Haaland. Or offer in exchange if that was viable.

We cannot be relying on Martial to be our number 9.

He doesn’t have the mental attitude and desire to be a top level no 9 at a major club. I still think he offers more from the left.

acnumber9

Rashford has been a selfish prick last few games - has missed sitters but oh no he's english and runs a lot so let's not slate him.
This is the problem with some people. What has Rashford got to do with Martial? If you want to go down the comparison route, Rashford has almost three times as many goals as him. All while being moved everywhere around the front three.

acnumber9

Of course it's a pathetic English bias eh? I must have misread all the criticism of: Maguire,AWB and Shaw.
Or Rashford himself. Who gets about as much abuse as anybody. Despite comfortably being one of our best players all season.

Raven

Some true morons in this thread. To be expected I suppose but it's incredibly sad to see a bunch of what I can only assume are grown adults throwing a tantrum after a league cup loss. Pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.