5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal&hyde

This season is by far his worst one regarding fitness. Has missed 24 games already.

Games missed by season:

22/23: 24 (still February)
21/22: 9
20/21: 17
19/20: 12
18/19: 10
17/18: 2
16/17: 2
15/16: 3
14/5: 0
13/14: 5

https://www.transfermarkt.com/anthony-martial/verletzungen/spieler/182877
Yeah it's a nightmare season for him no doubt. Shame that it came at a point when he does super good under the manager.

Unless it's some sort of clear medical indication that he developed real issues for the future of his play time, I would keep him for sure. This looks to me like a text book example of an exceptional talent that is being written out by fans only to come back in force as one of the best.

SAFMUTD

That's appalling, obviously fair enough if he'd had a serious injury but he hasn't.

How many games have we played? We've had so many games, we need players to be available and able to contribute. He does not...

How did he get through a season without any missed games?!
First quality of any player is availability. It doesnt matter how good you are if you're constantly injured. Weghorst already has more minutes than Martial and he's been here less than a month.

The worrying thing is that he seems to get injured from a different thing each time, as soon as he's back he plays 1-2 games and he's injured again without any contact. He finishes the game and suddenly without any appartent reason he's injured again for 3-4 weeks.

SeasonInjuryfromuntilDaysGames missed
22/23Hip InjuryFeb 2, 2023-22 days6
22/23Unknown InjuryJan 14, 2023Jan 30, 202316 days5
22/23Back InjuryOct 10, 2022Oct 31, 202221 days6
22/23Achilles IrritationAug 23, 2022Sep 26, 202234 days5
22/23Hamstring InjuryJul 31, 2022Aug 18, 202218 days2

His contract expires next year so unless we see a major turnaround I think he'll be let go. No team is going to be interested on a player thats available for about 20% of the minutes.

SAFMUTD

Yeah it's a nightmare season for him no doubt. Shame that it came at a point when he does super good under the manager.

Unless it's some sort of clear medical indication that he developed real issues for the future of his play time, I would keep him for sure. This looks to me like a text book example of an exceptional talent that is being written out by fans only to come back in force as one of the best.
Like I said in a previous post the worriying thing about this is that he's not missing games due to major injuries, just constant small different injuries. It seems his body can't take it anymore, sadly because his style would do wonders for us under ten Hag.

jackal&hyde

Like I said in a previous post the worriying thing about this is that he's not missing games due to major injuries, just constant small different injuries. It seems his body can't take it anymore, sadly because his style would do wonders for us under ten Hag.
It could be just bad luck though. We, as fans, have a lot of baggage with Martial so we look at this in a different light. But it could just be one of those years where everything that can go wrong, does. He has never been this unlucky with issues so it's not yet a pattern. Still has 6 goals I think :lol: Imagine if he were a bit more fit next season. This is a 20+ goals player easy.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Unbelievable how unlucky he and we were this season. This should have been his season. Top manager who looks at Martial as ideal striker for his formation and no competition for no9 spot (so no pressure).

And this turned out as a season where he is injured more than ever. Which cost us results wise and will cost him a place in first 11 for next season (because we will go and buy new no9).

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Playing devils advocate here as I like Martial. I wonder is it one of those where the medical dept can’t actually figure out what’s wrong with him and he’s telling them he’s in pain when he comes back so he gets pulled out again? A free transfer would be far more lucrative for him than us getting a fee for selling him on. No chance he gets a similar kind of contract again either way even if he bangs a few goals before his contract expires

I know it’s cynical but financially it actually may make sense for him to keep his head down and let the contract run down…

crossy1686

career ending

Bollocks, he’s been here 8 years and missed 82 games (including the cup final on Sunday) from just over 400 possible games.

Total amount of days spent injured as of today is 355 days. That’s a full fecking year almost. If he’s not got a medical condition, like being made out of biscuit, he’s a lazy bastard who can’t be arsed to play.

davisjw

Saha 2.0 at the moment, sadly. A great player when on form and a missing puzzle piece but injuries just took their toll. Still have a fools hope he recovers fully one day.

jackal&hyde

Bollocks, he’s been here 8 years and missed 82 games (including the cup final on Sunday) from just over 400 possible games.

Total amount of days spent injured as of today is 355 days. That’s a full fecking year almost. If he’s not got a medical condition, like being made out of biscuit, he’s a lazy bastard who can’t be arsed to play.
He is injured because he is lazy or what? You are a good poster I think but now you post total rubbish.

crossy1686

career ending
He is injured because he is lazy or what? You are a good poster I think but now you post total rubbish.
Mate there’s excuses made for him all the time, it’s clear to see at this point he’s injury prone. We all wanted it to work out but it’s not going to. His injuries consist of thigh strains and various pulled muscles, which are injuries you see in players who can’t cope with the physicality of high tempo football. There’s no shame in that, it’s just how it is.

I suspect we’ll try and sell him in the summer but I’m fully expecting him to see out his contract with us before being released. If we renew we’ve got another Phil Jones situation on our hands, but ok £250k a week instead.

edcunited1878

Nah, he's just broken down since his sending off against Spurs 2.5 years ago during the 20/21 season. Had knee and thigh injuries the next 2 years, then was loaned out and got unneccessary flack and was a scapegoat in Spain, then got hurt again beginning of this season after a terrific pre-season where his quality was obvious. He's a great all-round CF when fit and playing, but it's been hard for him and the club.

He's a broken player like Pogba is now. Needs to just shut it down and figure out how to train effectively for his physical issues then incorporate football into it.

crossy1686

career ending
Nah, he's just broken down since his sending off against Spurs 2.5 years ago during the 20/21 season. Had knee and thigh injuries the next 2 years, then was loaned out and got unneccessary flack and was a scapegoat in Spain, then got hurt again beginning of this season after a terrific pre-season where his quality was obvious. He's a great all-round CF when fit and playing, but it's been hard for him and the club.

He's a broken player like Pogba is now. Needs to just shut it down and figure out how to train effectively for his physical issues then incorporate football into it.
He got hammered in Spain because he didn’t score a league goal for Sevilla and spent most of his time there injured. I didn’t even include that in his injury record.

if he stays, the best we can hope for is one game every two weeks.

jackal&hyde

Mate there’s excuses made for him all the time, it’s clear to see at this point he’s injury prone. We all wanted it to work out but it’s not going to. His injuries consist of thigh strains and various pulled muscles, which are injuries you see in players who can’t cope with the physicality of high tempo football. There’s no shame in that, it’s just how it is.

I suspect we’ll try and sell him in the summer but I’m fully expecting him to see out his contract with us before being released. If we renew we’ve got another Phil Jones situation on our hands, but ok £250k a week instead.
That's fine and you might be correct but what the feck was with the lazy bs? Guess you are frustrated with him, so am I but let's not make garbage calls of personality for physicals issues. He was one of our best players in the ETH team in the little time he had.

edcunited1878

He got hammered in Spain because he didn’t score a league goal for Sevilla and spent most of his time there injured. I didn’t even include that in his injury record.

if he stays, the best we can hope for is one game every two weeks.
Sevilla also didn't improve or play well without him or with him and in reality, they weren't legit contenders and it showed.

Even just having him up for selection in the match day squad would be a great asset to the team, after the team secures a first choice CF and backup.

crossy1686

career ending
That's fine and you might be correct but what the feck was with the lazy bs? Guess you are frustrated with him, so am I but let's not make garbage calls of personality for physicals issues. He was one of our best players in the ETH team in the little time he had.
The lazy statement was in regard to excuses being made for him, not by you, but by a few people in here suggesting his injuries are unlucky or they don’t happen often. I meant that if he’s not injury prone then he must be lazy because he’s been out a lot.

But yeah, I’m frustrated with him, I think we all are. I’d love a injury free 6 months from him now but I just can’t see it happening.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't play a single game till the end of the season.
He was doing individual training with van der Gaag earlier this week. He will be back soon.

jackal&hyde

The lazy statement was in regard to excuses being made for him, not by you, but by a few people in here suggesting his injuries are unlucky or they don’t happen often. I meant that if he’s not injury prone then he must be lazy because he’s been out a lot.

But yeah, I’m frustrated with him, I think we all are. I’d love a injury free 6 months from him now but I just can’t see it happening.
Yeah I feel you. Regardless of anything, stays or goes it would be very good for the team to at least have him for the end of the season.

lex talionis

Not that we have a right to know WTF is continuously wrong with him, but Martial's fitness problems are pretty hard to take. At least with Jones catastrophic knee problems took him out for years and years, but with Martial it's always a niggling problem, one after the other.

NICanRed

IIRC - Giggs was in the same situation and then discovered yoga and suddenly ws like a new man. Maybe AM needs a different approach to his mentality/health-care/training. I know that exercise is more scientific now than it was in the past so I'm sure all those options have been researched.
I wish him well but if he cant recover - I wish him gone!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
IIRC - Giggs was in the same situation and then discovered yoga and suddenly ws like a new man. Maybe AM needs a different approach to his mentality/health-care/training. I know that exercise is more scientific now than it was in the past so I'm sure all those options have been researched.
I wish him well but if he cant recover - I wish him gone!
Does Martial have a brother?

Apokalips

Unbelievable how unlucky he and we were this season. This should have been his season. Top manager who looks at Martial as ideal striker for his formation and no competition for no9 spot (so no pressure).

And this turned out as a season where he is injured more than ever. Which cost us results wise and will cost him a place in first 11 for next season (because we will go and buy new no9).
Agreed, if you think it is frustrating for us as fans imagine how frustrating it is for him as a player.

I get the frustration from fans but some of the sentiment towards him is as though he is purposely missing games to play Fifa with his mates or something.

It's not just him but any player that struggles with injuries...I guarantee they'd all rather be playing games than getting treatment. Constant physical injuries can then lead to mental issues and then a cycle starts.

Not even sure why I am in this thread or posting because I can't lie, I avoid most player threads due to the bipolar nature of them, all black and white (but constantly flippibg from one to the other) with no shades of grey.

AFC NimbleThumb

Agreed, if you think it is frustrating for us as fans imagine how frustrating it is for him as a player.

I get the frustration from fans but some of the sentiment towards him is as though he is purposely missing games to play Fifa with his mates or something.

It's not just him but any player that struggles with injuries...I guarantee they'd all rather be playing games than getting treatment. Constant physical injuries can then lead to mental issues and then a cycle starts.

Not even sure why I am in this thread or posting because I can't lie, I avoid most player threads due to the bipolar nature of them, all black and white (but constantly flippibg from one to the other) with no shades of grey.
It’s the way of the Caf. Some idiot was in here claiming it’s his fault because Giggs changed his training methods years back so Martial must be doing something wrong on purpose.

If Martial were fit he’d be starting games for one of the more entertaining teams in europe, whether it’s mental or physical he’s not been for enough long enough this season but that’s all we know, people talking about his training etc. love a whinge.

NICanRed

It’s the way of the Caf. Some idiot was in here claiming it’s his fault because Giggs changed his training methods years back so Martial must be doing something wrong on purpose.

If Martial were fit he’d be starting games for one of the more entertaining teams in europe, whether it’s mental or physical he’s not been for enough long enough this season but that’s all we know, people talking about his training etc. love a whinge.
This idiot would likely ask you to re-read that posting and see if you can better understand what I was trying to get across - maybe poorly phrased but didnt mean to imply what you took from it!

AFC NimbleThumb

This idiot would likely ask you to re-read that posting and see if you can better understand what I was trying to get across - maybe poorly phrased but didnt mean to imply what you took from it!
i hadn’t actually seen your post. You are not the ‘idiot’ in question.

I would however now reading it say using an outlier as the rule for a totally different players fitness is a little ridiculous. Many a career has been ravaged by injury, sometimes the body betrays the player.

We don’t accurately know what Martial is/is not doing. He could be into yoga already etc.

Kelly15

One you start becoming so injury prone chances are it won't stop. When fit and available, their is no doubting his talent. However there comes a point where the injurys start to eat into that talent. I doubt their is a future for AM at United. That's how it goes sometimes. No one's fault, but it's time for us to move on.

Bondi77

I thought Louis was bad with injuries but Anthony seems worse.
What is the recuperation for hip injuries as it would seem a pretty serious thing regarding running and movement in general.

AndySmith1990

An exceptional talent? Making a come back?

The guy has been here for almost 7 years. He's been useless for a large part of that. He was so bad he was loaned out and even Sevilla had no interest in him. Its time to ship him out and find a replacement worthy of the #9 shirt

next_number_seven

An exceptional talent? Making a come back?

The guy has been here for almost 7 years. He's been useless for a large part of that. He was so bad he was loaned out and even Sevilla had no interest in him. Its time to ship him out and find a replacement worthy of the #9 shirt
In terms of natural talent he's exceptional but we never saw much of it.
The goal against Liverpool and the one against Real Madrid in preseason

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Good point but unfortunately many see pro footballers being so wealthy that any mental aspect of things they can go through is easily brushed aside.

croadyman

Saha 2.0 at the moment, sadly. A great player when on form and a missing puzzle piece but injuries just took their toll. Still have a fools hope he recovers fully one day.
You have summed him up perfectly

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We need to replace him, and I personally would even sell him. I doubt he will be more available in the future

lex talionis

You have to wonder whether Tony has suffers from mental health problems as well, which are just as real as a sprain or a knock, or worse. The man is a physical specimen with no know chronic disorder, yet he can’t recover from injuries that take out most players for only a few weeks or a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.