Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
People can watch a sequence like this and then still say they prefer Wout Weghorst because he runs a lot.

This type of stuff is typical every time Martial plays, it's not coincidence we instantly looked more dangerous after he came on even if he isn't Alan Shearer in front of goal
No one says that.

Anustart89

People can watch a sequence like this and then still say they prefer Wout Weghorst because he runs a lot.

This type of stuff is typical every time Martial plays, it's not coincidence we instantly looked more dangerous after he came on even if he isn't Alan Shearer in front of goal
You've just made that up so that you could argue against it and sound smart on the internet. How embarrassing.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum that prefers a fit Wout to a fit Martial. Problem is that Martial can't be trusted to stay fit for any extended period of time and Wout's literally the only other striker option in the squad.

Valencia Shin Crosses

You've just made that up so that you could argue against it and sound smart on the internet. How embarrassing.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum that prefers a fit Wout to a fit Martial. Problem is that Martial can't be trusted to stay fit for any extended period of time and Wout's literally the only other striker option in the squad.
He can't run and he can't jump, but he's better than Martial. We're broke, so he'll do.
Took me 2 minutes to find one from back when we got battered against Arsenal in January. And there are more from that period. But sure I just made it up to sound smart on the internet :lol:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Please go back and read early reviews on Weghorst after his first couple of games
Are people not allowed to change their opinion after watching him start for 19 games straight? Besides, we had Martial injured so maybe people were self-soothing by bigging up Weghorst. Mind, bad as he is, he's probably running on fumes given he plays all the time. Which is not to say he's of the required standard, he isn't. But that's what you get with no money in January and a desperate need to get in a striker, at least by name.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Are people not allowed to change their opinion after watching him start for 19 games straight? Besides, we had Martial injured so maybe people were self-soothing by bigging up Weghorst. Mind, bad as he is, he's probably running on fumes given he plays all the time. Which is not to say he's of the required standard, he isn't. But that's what you get with no money in January and a desperate need to get in a striker, at least by name.
Jesus when you put it in games as opposed to weeks or even months, it seems so much worse. 19 straight games. How many in total has Martial missed this season?

He’d want to have one hell of a finish to the season to be considered an option next year surely?

Sylar

Hopefully he's starting today? Might see rashford return to the goal scoring if so

Crimson King

I admit, I was totally ok with the signing at the time. Well, maybe not ok, but I understood the manager wasn't being given any money so was having to think outside the box.

The thing is, it was only meant to be as an awkward Plan B to use here and there. Instead, Martial gets injured almost as soon as the ink had dried on Wout's loan contract. Next thing you know he's played 19 games straight!

Sylar

Said at the time - best piece of football we've played in about 2 months or so. Least I can remember.
Shaw should have slipped in Sancho?
Would have taken a defender out and forced the one near rashford to commit, shame

But yeah will be nice to have martial do this for a half or so

Greck

I don't really have any doubts he might be injured again tonight. The real battle is getting the lead before that happens and Weghorst has to come on

TheRedHearted

Looking at the midfield and the attack when a single starter is missing, I don't want to see Martial sold anytime soon. We quite obviously can't bet on him staying fit until he proves otherwise but in my opinion the best strategy is probably to add a starting caliber striker and rotate them.
You can’t rotate someone in a wheelchair. Maybe can spin them around a bit though, for fun.

i want nothing more for us than Martial to come back firing though and if that could happen, awesome. But maybe a less physical league would suit him. Once again I’d prefer him bring us to success since he’s rarely played in a great team of ours, and we are just now getting there.

ErikElevenHag

Not Tony's biggest fan given his injury record and at times his application in games but my god the difference in link up play between him and Weghorst is night and day.

Weghorst gets praised for link up play when in reality he's just a backboard the majority of the time and the ball goes back the same way it came. When Tony came on today you could see how good his link up play can be. Short intricate passes, some forward, some sideways but the passes had purpose. This was by no means a stellar cameo, but we've been starved of true cf play that it stood out a mile.

If we can get Tony, casemiro and eriksen all in the starting line up for the rest of the season we may be back cooking.

FerociousCorgis

i hate martial. He clearly is so damn talented, can be so fluid up there, can pass/hold up ball so well sometimes. We look so much better with him. But clearly just a ticking injury time bomb. Dont give us hope martial come on man ha.

Aint gota Kalou

He has the ability to change our attack. We need to play it to his feet a lot quicker, I think Martinez will pick him out a lot once they actually play a few games together.

UnitedRepublic

Short reason for why ETH probably rates him very highly the way he treat the ball and his way of play is the most Cruyff like ideology wise.

Glorio

Each time he breaks into anything close to a sprint, it starts feeling really uncomfortable :lol:

Really hope his body holds up for the rest of the season.

Andersons Dietician

You can see what we miss when he isn’t around but feck me can we attach some sort of bungee cord to the oppositions goal with the other end attached to him.

He does amazing work coming deep but honestly his lack of will to get in to the mixer is a huge hinderance. Come in, collect the ball, work some space, play the pass but then make the move to get in. Brief cameo but there were so many times when it seemed like everyone had gone forward beyond him and only the CBS were left behind him.

Really really just wish he would show that desire or need to score goals. Compare him to the Nordic Yeti on that front and the difference in the desire of Haaland compared to Martial to get in goal scoring positions are polar opposites.

Bobski

Technique is so many levels ahead of Wout in that role as to be an hilarious comparison.

Olecurls99

My God we've missed him. It's such a shame he's missed Ten Hag's first season because I think he would have had a great year

UnitedRepublic

You could clearly see his frustration with people trying to shoot all the time or holding on to the ball for to long on counters he’s not wrong but he need to keep going but at the end of the day he don’t trust his teammates to make the right decision and thats a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.