5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RuudtheRed

He definitely showed more than Wout in his brief cameo. I hope he stays fit. An enduring memory is how he pulled off a rather bizarre la croqueta in defence to start a rapid counterattack shortly after De Gea made a wonder save, but sadly the move broke down.

Dan_F

You know what I missed? Him always being a yard behind the defender when the ball is played upfield towards him. So close, yet always so far. Lazy cnut.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Hopefully that’s not his quarterly special guest appearance and he can stay fit until the end of the season. We really need him because the lack of quality for back-up players is shocking and there’s a danger of the season derailing because of it.

KjaAnd

I'm not a big fan of his but what a difference it makes to have an actual striker in the team. Honestly, it should be a criminal offence to play Weghorst as long as there's any half capable striker at the club.

UnitedRepublic

You know what I missed? Him always being a yard behind the defender when the ball is played upfield towards him. So close, yet always so far. Lazy cnut.
People like you don’t even understand what Martial does he is in our own half picking up the ball doing the work of a CAM and a striker all in one because of his superiority on the ball compared to all of our other attacking players simple as that.

Dan_F

People like you don’t even understand what Martial does he is in our own half picking up the ball doing the work of a CAM and a striker all in one because of his superiority on the ball compared to all of our other attacking players simple as that.
I’m comfortable in understanding what Martial offers when he’s on the ball, especially compared to Weghorst. Even with his back to goal, he’s good when he gets in front of the defender. The problem is getting him in that position.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He definitely showed more than Wout in his brief cameo. I hope he stays fit. An enduring memory is how he pulled off a rather bizarre la croqueta in defence to start a rapid counterattack shortly after De Gea made a wonder save, but sadly the move broke down.
Yeah it's called "being a top footballer", any other great team has loads of them that can pull of stuff like that semi regularly but it becomes a lasting memory for us because we have nothing but crap on the ball. Sad really

UnitedRepublic

Composure to get out of tight space in a risky situation and a great first touch to set himself up for a shoot people are crazy trying to get rid of a player that has all the tools to be a world class player, while we have players who can not be relied upon when getting the ball. He is here to stay with or without a new striker he will have a big part to play next season in a cam position, striker position or left wing quote me on that. He is that type of player doesn’t matter if he doesn’t score he will do something good for the team in attacking sense either way.

Fabio Rochemback

Such a massive gulf of class between him an Weghorst, that much is very obvious even from a 30 minute cameo where he didn't do all that much. Unfortunately the chances of him staying fit for more than two weeks are quite slim

Oranges038

Wonder save...it was a good save.

But, he should have caught the corner and he was lucky the header was right at him when he finally figured out where he was.

If Martial could somehow stay fit, he'd be a good option to have for the rest of the season. But that should really be it for him at Utd.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Stay fit, and he should be starting over Wout for the rest of the season. I prefer having a forward who can provide a goal threat over a try hard.

He also is one player in my view that helps get the best out of Rashford. Not to say Marcus is reliant on Tony to have a good game, but they have always seemed to have the best connection and understanding between our attacking players

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Must be replaced in the summer at all costs but my god we need him before then don't we? If Rashford's goals dry up then the season is over unless Martial can fire in a few.

I have no faith in Weghorst, Sancho and Antony doing the business. It's all on Tony n Rashy to get us over the line really.

Marwood

Stay fit, and he should be starting over Wout for the rest of the season. I prefer having a forward who can provide a goal threat over a try hard.

He also is one player in my view that helps get the best out of Rashford. Not to say Marcus is reliant on Tony to have a good game, but they have always seemed to have the best connection and understanding between our attacking players
Rashford's just had the best two months of his career without Martial in the side.

Marwood

Yet you missed out literally the next line in my post. I said he's not reliant on him to play at his best, but in terms of who link up best in the front line, it's these two.
Not quite, you said he's not reliant on Martial to have a good game but Martial is the guy to bring out his best.

I'm only pointing out Rashford has produced his best form to date without Martial in the team.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Not quite, you said he's not reliant on Martial to have a good game but Martial is the guy to bring out his best.

I'm only pointing out Rashford has produced his best form to date without Martial in the team.
Marcus has had his best goalscoring form since the start of '23. All round game I would not say he's been brilliant.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Composure to get out of tight space in a risky situation and a great first touch to set himself up for a shoot people are crazy trying to get rid of a player that has all the tools to be a world class player, while we have players who can not be relied upon when getting the ball. He is here to stay with or without a new striker he will have a big part to play next season in a cam position, striker position or left wing quote me on that. He is that type of player doesn’t matter if he doesn’t score he will do something good for the team in attacking sense either way.
I'm a big Martial fan but I think it's understandable that people want to sell. When he plays, he brings qualities to the team that no one else does that are vital for becoming a top team again, but he just can't be relied upon to stay fit.

RuudTom83

Martial and Weghorst are an odd duo for EtH to choose from.

One is very limited but made of stone, the other is talented but made of glass.

Let’s see how long Martial can stay available for selection this time.

arthurka

Martial has played his game for the year next availability is the beginning of 2024.

mu4c_20le

Changed the game when he came on, like he usually does when he replaces Weghorst. It's like waking up from a dream, and you realize football could be played like this.

UnitedRepublic

I'm a big Martial fan but I think it's understandable that people want to sell. When he plays, he brings qualities to the team that no one else does that are vital for becoming a top team again, but he just can't be relied upon to stay fit.
My friend people need to realise he’s just been unlucky and now the medical team knows what to do with him hopefully, it’s not like he is gonna retire because of his injuries. He will be handled in a different way as of now.

I know Erik ain’t stupid enough to let him go but he’s smart enough to have a plan B if he keeps being injured from next season we need players like him doesn’t matter What attacking position he makes something happen either way. We are not Manchester City who can get rid of talented players like him our squad is not there yet.

Last edited:

It was only a few minutes but our attack was transformed when he came on, such is the difference having an actual striker on the pitch.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Looking at the midfield and the attack when a single starter is missing, I don't want to see Martial sold anytime soon. We quite obviously can't bet on him staying fit until he proves otherwise but in my opinion the best strategy is probably to add a starting caliber striker and rotate them.

MadMike

Martial on crutches > Weghorst

The fact the latter is still starting games undermines ETH a lot.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yeah that stuck in my mind too, beautiful footwork

Woziak

I'm not a big fan of his but what a difference it makes to have an actual striker in the team. Honestly, it should be a criminal offence to play Weghorst as long as there's any half capable striker at the club.
I would rather play Hugill from under 21’s than Weghorst, he can not be allowed to start any more for United, absolutely awful.

Yagami

Good post resistant
My friend people need to realise he’s just been unlucky and now the medical team knows what to do with him hopefully, it’s not like he is gonna retire because of his injuries. He will be handled in a different way as of now.

I know Erik ain’t stupid enough to let him go but he’s smart enough to have a plan B if he keeps being injured from next season we need players like him doesn’t matter What attacking position he makes something happen either way. We are not Manchester City who can get rid of talented players like him our squad is not there yet.
I'm with you. I want him to stay, too. I just meant I can see why some would opt to cash in on him.

Here's hoping he stays fit! I love watching him play.

jem

People can watch a sequence like this and then still say they prefer Wout Weghorst because he runs a lot.

This type of stuff is typical every time Martial plays, it's not coincidence we instantly looked more dangerous after he came on even if he isn't Alan Shearer in front of goal
He's a fantastic player - the injuries are the big concern, but we always look much better when he plays.

lex talionis

Had that one nice sequence, but in no way did Martial look like the kind of footballer who either is interested in or is capable of turning around a tough day at the office for his side. But let's be kind and hope that he got some cobwebs out to be fully mentally and physically fit for the midweek fixture.

ti vu

This was so good
Sancho decision to pass back to Martial is everything wrong about him. He's at the tip of the formation, with gap from Newcastle last line defenders. Sancho just doesn't shoulder responsibility.

Rashford pass was underhit, but even if Sancho couldn't drive the ball forward, in his position he should be more comfortable to hold onto the ball than pass the responsibility to other player. Martial had a lot to do after Sancho pass, with to get the ball up the pitch. Martial got taken out with the challenge, Newcastle was able to organize their defense in number.

justboy68

If he stays fit then I'm confident we get top 4. Not because he's amazing but he's at least competent unlike Wout. If he goes missing again and Ten Hag continues to play Wout then I'll be a bit worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.