Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
A few posters in this thread made it clear: feed him the ball and so much more can happen. 1st 30 minutes he got on the ball and we were dynamite, with him being the focal point for so many of those attacks.

After that 30, the ball started to slow down in transition, played wider to Sancho and Antony in some Counters and didn't get the same traction; results in an easier breakdown in play.

Seems like he is still catching up to full 90 minutes, which is understandable given how long he's been out, but as a #9 even 60 minutes at the moment is more effective than what we have, but also needs the team to get him involved in play!!!

Betson

Been here so many times before , loads of talent that he shows in flashes. But he will just as happily amble on until the end of the season putting in a half hearted effort then a top performance every now and then , that is assuming he is not injured again.

meamth

A few posters in this thread made it clear: feed him the ball and so much more can happen. 1st 30 minutes he got on the ball and we were dynamite, with him being the focal point for so many of those attacks.

After that 30, the ball started to slow down in transition, played wider to Sancho and Antony in some Counters and didn't get the same traction; results in an easier breakdown in play.

Seems like he is still catching up to full 90 minutes, which is understandable given how long he's been out, but as a #9 even 60 minutes at the moment is more effective than what we have, but also needs the team to get him involved in play!!!
I think he has developed into a great deep lying forward.

Peak Martial is now at this age but he just need to stay fit. :drool:

meamth

What struck me while following his loan last season waa just how much bulk he had gained which disturbed me. I Think he carried that into this season and it's one of the reasons he has been having these muscular injuries. Gladly he seems to have lost most of that bulk and is slimmer. Hopefully he stays fit enough for the rest of this season.

I don't think he can be like RVP though, depsite his Injuries RVP always looked rapid as far as I can remember (similar to Robben) Martial seems to not be as nimble and agile as he used to be.
Only difference is RVP is one the last forwards who can strike the ball first time so accurately.

Gone are the days with forwards like this, don't know what happened, maybe the pace of the modern game made it difficult for players to do it, it's a rarity now.

But I agree, he has lost some explosive abilities nowadays. But I think he make up for it with his holding up play, which is very good.

MUFC OK

Beautiful football from him on the second goal. If he could do that every week we’d be talking about a striker who’s good enough to wear the shirt. The ifs and buts are a factor though.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
This coming stretch might be now or never time for him. He has to step up.

He showed in that first half how much upside he can provide for the team.

Sylar

So good to have a striker in the team. We desperately need him to be fit for every game remaining even if that means only 60-75 minutes

MUFC OK

This coming stretch might be now or never time for him. He has to step up.

He showed in that first half how much upside he can provide for the team.
The level between him and Weghorst is astounding. That’s with Martial being no more than a very good player at his best.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Can thank the rest of our team for that. Attackers aren’t going to have the chance to do anything when your midfield and backline can’t play through a press.

Also where De Gea kills us, as an off game from our defenders playing out of the back kills any chance at control since DDG sure as shit can’t do it
And the only few and rare times the ball managed to go beyond our midfield without being given away it was to Antony and Sancho who didn't particularly have good games. DeGea situation is simply baffling to me. The sheer inability to distribute the ball at the slightest bit of pressure is absurd, especially in this modern game. He contributed massively to Sevilla just taking over the game due to constantly giving them the ball back with his utterly horrifyingly terrible distribution.

MUFC OK

And the only few and rare times the ball managed to go beyond our midfield without being given away it was to Antony and Sancho who didn't particularly have good games. DeGea situation is simply baffling to me. The sheer inability to distribute the ball at the slightest bit of pressure is absurd, especially in this modern game. He contributed massively to Sevilla just taking over the game due to constantly giving them the ball back with his utterly horrifyingly terrible distribution.
2 saves that other keepers just wouldn’t make. Would hope we got someone like Raya/Costa to be proven right but that would be to the detriment of the teams performances.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
2 saves that other keepers just wouldn’t make. Would hope we got someone like Raya/Costa to be proven right but that would be to the detriment of the teams performances.
Saves that he wouldn't have to make if we had more control of the ball and he's one of the main reason we can't control games. Heck one of the saves came after he had given the ball back to Sevilla from his typical DeHoof ball not that long ago.

MUFC OK

Saves that he wouldn't have to make if we had more control of the ball and he's one of the main reason we can't control games. Heck one of the saves came after he had given the ball back to Sevilla from his typical DeHoof ball not that long ago.
Seeing this said a lot from the De Gea must depart for a “modern keeper” brigade. Sounding like a scapegoat. To me it’s ridiculous to make the GK responsible for “controlling games”. Must be old fashioned of me at 29 years old.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
motm. role in both goals, and then great work for antony's shot. looked smooth and not bulky like he did in his first match back.

Last edited:

AndyMUFC

Loved the through ball for Sabitzer's second and his hold up play in general was good. We're a much better side with him up front with how he's played on the rare occasions he's been fit under ETH. Hope he can get through to the end of the season.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
First time he ran at a defender in 2 years.

Physically he looks quick and sharp. Very very promising.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
‘As you can see when he is playing the team is performing better’.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Seeing this said a lot from the De Gea must depart for a “modern keeper” brigade. Sounding like a scapegoat. To me it’s ridiculous to make the GK responsible for “controlling games”. Must be old fashioned of me at 29 years old.
I’m with you on this one. Feck knows what the other teams we play against every game are trying to do seeing as all the saves De Gea makes wouldn’t be necessary if not for him.

Malone_Post

When you see this lads ability when he’s up for it and available it really does make you sad how his career has panned out. He should have been so much more. He had all the talent needed. Attitude & injuries have prevented him reaching the levels he should have done. Today showed that when he’s on it, he’s still a wonderful player to watch. He’s got everything the modern day centre forward needs. Sadly it won’t be long until he’s injured again, or throws a sulk.

Golden Nugget

When you see this lads ability when he’s up for it and available it really does make you sad how his career has panned out. He should have been so much more. He had all the talent needed. Attitude & injuries have prevented him reaching the levels he should have done. Today showed that when he’s on it, he’s still a wonderful player to watch. He’s got everything the modern day centre forward needs. Sadly it won’t be long until he’s injured again, or throws a sulk.
Yep. It’s so frustrating cos when he’s in his stride he’s a wonderful player. It’s a shame that for most of the past few seasons he’s mostly out injured or getting back to match fitness

Arka_BleedingRed

In an alternate reality, the trident of Rashford, a fully fit Martial and a non-controversial Greenwood are tearing up teams left, right and center for Man United with Garnacho and Amar as back ups.
The potential in that trident was something else, had the ability to reach the levels of MSN and BBC.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
All he needs is fitness, his ability is so good. He has all the attributes to play key role and to become one of our most important player, shame he has been terrible luck with injuries.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He has stardust in his feet, brains in his head and glass for muscles. If we could have fed him a little more, the tie would probably be dead and buried now. Levels above Sancho or Weghorst. The best player we have at holding up the ball.
Your first sentence is so spot on sadly. It's crazy how he's improved overall despite barely playing anymore

slored1

The difference between him and Weghorst is staggering. A real shame he's been injured so often as we look a million miles better with him in the team.

Devil81

The difference between him and Weghorst is staggering. A real shame he's been injured so often as we look a million miles better with him in the team.
If he was fit most of the season I'm convinced we'd be secure in that third position not having to worry about the Europa or a top 4 position. ETH clearly likes him, he's needed a manager to believe in him since LVG did. It's just a shame he can't keep fit long enough to cement his place in the side.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
In an alternate reality, the trident of Rashford, a fully fit Martial and a non-controversial Greenwood are tearing up teams left, right and center for Man United with Garnacho and Amar as back ups.
The potential in that trident was something else, had the ability to reach the levels of MSN and BBC.
Don’t torture yourself

Swedish_Plumber

In the wake of a nightmare ending to the game performances like that from a CF gives me real hope for the future.

Whether it’s him or someone else putting in displays of that quality it shows how much better we can be if we have someone reliable in there. He was unplayable in that opening half an hour or so.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If he was fit most of the season I'm convinced we'd be secure in that third position not having to worry about the Europa or a top 4 position. ETH clearly likes him, he's needed a manager to believe in him since LVG did. It's just a shame he can't keep fit long enough to cement his place in the side.
It's hard to believe in him when he's constantly injured. Ole believed in him given how he was pretty much always a starter when fit in the 19/20 and 20/21 seasons. But towards the end of the season he had one of his typical lay offs and Cavani stepped up big time and then with Ronaldo bought in next season he never got his spot back.

Best case scenario is he somehow stays fit till the end of the season, scores a few goals and we are able to get a half decent fee for him in the summer.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
It's hard to believe in him when he's constantly injured. Ole believed in him given how he was pretty much always a starter when fit in the 19/20 and 20/21 seasons. But towards the end of the season he had one of his typical lay offs and Cavani stepped up big time and then with Ronaldo bought in next season he never got his spot back.

Best case scenario is he somehow stays fit till the end of the season, scores a few goals and we are able to get a half decent fee for him in the summer.
This obsession some of you lots have with selling our few quality players despite us likely not bringing much more quality in the summer is astounding to me. While other teams look to add quality on top of the quality players they already have, we have folks who fantasize of ridding ourselves of good players just because.

His injury luck could always improve next year and with him available, that's a quality player you have that the team could use. It's a good think Ten Hag has sense with him and values good players when he sees one.

El Jefe

We saw the good and bad of Martial yesterday. He was absolutely amazing in the first half, probably the best centre forward play we've seen all year.

The second half still showed he's behind the pace and that worries me for the PL where intensity will be much higher. People will say it's because we didn't control the game as much but he was slow and laboured which pretty much iced him out of the game. There was no excuse for him not getting on the end of Bruno's fabulous cross, his reaction time was so slow.

Raven

We saw the good and bad of Martial yesterday. He was absolutely amazing in the first half, probably the best centre forward play we've seen all year.

The second half still showed he's behind the pace and that worries me for the PL where intensity will be much higher. People will say it's because we didn't control the game as much but he was slow and laboured which pretty much iced him out of the game. There was no excuse for him not getting on the end of Bruno's fabulous cross, his reaction time was so slow.
No we didn't, he was excellent in everything he did yesterday, the problem was that the midfield stopped feeding him.

Chinchy98

That’s overly harsh IMO, we were poor in the 2nd half, you can’t pin that on a CF. I have seen Lukaku, Ibra, Rooney, RVP, Rashford have games where they are out of the action due to the team performance

InfiniteBoredom

He created two openings that Sancho fluffed up needlessly and Antony’s shot that hit the post. All after the 30 minutes mark, when our midfield for some inexplicable reason stopped feeding the ball to him, that’s not ‘being quiet’.

Mata already said our gameplan under LvG, Mourinho and Ole to some extent was just ‘give Martial the ball and let him cook’. His long absence + the fact that we’ve probably gotten too used to avoiding passing to Weghorst make that not the case anymore, but wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world to come back to that for the remainder of this season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This obsession some of you lots have with selling our few quality players despite us likely not bringing much more quality in the summer is astounding to me. While other teams look to add quality on top of the quality players they already have, we have folks who fantasize of ridding ourselves of good players just because.

His injury luck could always improve next year and with him available, that's a quality player you have that the team could use. It's a good think Ten Hag has sense with him and values good players when he sees one.
We're so obviously better with him in the side that, despite his unreliable fitness, you'd obviously be inclined to keep him and have him as our second choice CF next season.

The only problem with that is he typically hasn't been good when not first choice, as he says himself:

When people say that I lack consistency, it's true. When I have my place, it often goes well, but when I've been used less, it's It is true that my performance has not been the same.

It's a vicious circle: I'm less efficient, because I play less and therefore I play even less. When it's like that, I can sometimes drop out a bit. A player like [Edinson] Cavani, he's at 3000% even when given few minutes
That needs to change. If it doesn't then we probably should cash in on him. Because an injury-prone player who self-admittedly doesn't play as well when he isn't starting regularly is ill-suited to the role we should have in mind for Martial.

Skills

Snitch

It's mental. Sell an actual quality player and then trust the judgement of the people, who've ended up spunking away the best part of £150m on the likes of Sancho and Antony to actually get it right.

Jeffthered

He made a big difference yesterday, played very well early on, he's mobility more than anything. He has hardly played so I expect him to be hungry, but will need time to get up to the game in-game out intensity, I'm not sure if he will ever be able to do that. He needs to decide whether he wants to be an average player, with considerable potential, and subsequently always be a player who a manager is seeking to replace. It's up to him, but I think he has already shown us his approach to football. Martial is not interested in being a top, top, top player. Even after a v promising first half hour, he faded. He needs to dominate matches. Show character, inspire the team, define our matches.. think Tevez, RVN, Van Persie, Wayne, Sheringham, Sparky.. I could go on, and on, and on. Martial is not like these players in his attitude. That's always been his problem.

I expect the good 45 mins, the odd spectacular goal... but what I wait for is the next stage, the next gear from him. Manchester United should settle for nothing else.

Forest at the weekend and the Premiership will be sterner tests. Sevilla were quite open, all over the place really, and the late runs of Sabitzer was what really defined our game.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

And I could win the lottery next year and become a millionaire.

Doing the same things over and over while expecting different results is insanity. If there are people on here who still believe Martial can stay fit over the course of a season, then I don't know what to say to them. Must be good to live in such ignorant bliss I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.