5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RuudTom83

Easy target…but it’s not his fault his body can’t compete with the demands of modern football.

It’s on the club for not buying an adequate replacement.

Pickle85

He does pick up most of his injuries in matches... So technically he's putting himself less at risk of injuries. And less match load which again means less likely to get injury from playing a few games in a row.

And it doesn't make anything redundant. We still have a budget, and priorities. A backup striker for the big money striker we do buy this summer is low on the list. I think Ten Hag would sooner just not buy anyone to be backup and just play Rashford there when needed, and still focus on backup DM, CM, GK, etc. Which is why we'll just keep Martial another year as his contract is out in 2024.
So you're saying that if he doesn't play, he won't get injured? Can't say I disagree, but would rather have a player that could actually play a game or two without them having to sit out the next five to ten.

As far as your second paragraph goes, I totally agree that we will be stuck with him next year. But that will be because nobody else is mental enough to pay him what we do and he won't take a paycut to go elsewhere. It's certainly not because ETH thinks he's a reliable option.

Last edited:

Pickle85

Easy target…but it’s not his fault his body can’t compete with the demands of modern football.

Modern football? Do you think he broke through in the sixties? His body can't cope with football apparently, full stop. Which makes some in this thread's insistence that he remains a viable option ludicrous.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I was disappointed with him against Sevilla and it wasn’t because of his performance because the game was setup in a way he is no magician to do any more than he did.
I will say what most fans are lying about and not be truthful about. I swore at him when he started limping because I did not believe it was an injury. I will not sugar coat how I felt and what I thought, he was fluid enough when he came back on and showed no sign of stress when he received or passed the ball after.
I don’t even discuss Martial because he is my current favourite but the way this club is babying him and his peers is actually pissing me off. Time for him to grow up because he is representing football fans and us fans will always believe we will break a leg to represent the club we love. When you watch a player and feel he can’t be asked pushing through pain barriers, you will despise them.
I still love him and think he is a better striker than the ones we are trying to sign, no matter what these media stooges are saying but he is an over indulged prick and it’s reflective of his time here.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Martial spotted in training today. Looks like he's got a chance for tomorrow then.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So you're saying that if he doesn't play, he won't get injured? Can't say I disagree, but would rather have a player that could actually play a game or two without them having to sit out the next five to ten.

As far as your second paragraph goes, I totally agree that we will be stuck with him next year. But that will be because nobody else is mental enough to pay him what we do and he won't take a paycut to go elsewhere. It's certainly not because ETH thinks he's a reliable option.
In an ideal world we would have the budget to sell him and many others and bring in a striker, backup striker, starting CM, backup DM, a goalkeeper, and a RB. I don't think anyone is really arguing that. But if we are in a situation where we have a top class starting #9 and Martial is just the backup striker, I think that's generally fine.

Pickle85

In an ideal world we would have the budget to sell him and many others and bring in a striker, backup striker, starting CM, backup DM, a goalkeeper, and a RB. I don't think anyone is really arguing that. But if we are in a situation where we have a top class starting #9 and Martial is just the backup striker, I think that's generally fine.
Agreed tbf. But the issue is that he's never fit, which makes the point moot.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
What about Sancho attitude? Or Maguire?

Also its funny how everyone here mentions how he isnt a “fighter” but have no issue with players like Sancho who hides all game.
Sancho is getting fecking pelters on this place currently. And Harry Maguire quite literally had bomb threats last year and gets abused every week. What are you talking about people have no issues with them?

KikiDaKats

Supports
Martial spotted in training today. Looks like he's got a chance for tomorrow then.
Surely he can’t start after the gunshot wound against Sevilla.
I’m not advocating for players be forced to be played through injuries but is he really injured though. I know he got roughed up/assaulted against Sevilla but it’s become a common belief in those circles he will take himself out of games when meted with such treatment and it’s really pissing me off now.

Skills

Snitch
Modern football? Do you think he broke through in the sixties? His body can't cope with football apparently, full stop. Which makes some in this thread's insistence that he remains a viable option ludicrous.
Well it could, and then we decided that to put an unqualified PE teacher in charge of a professional football club.

InfiniteBoredom

I’m not advocating for players be forced to be played through injuries but is he really injured though. I know he got roughed up/assaulted against Sevilla but it’s become a common belief in those circles he will take himself out of games when meted with such treatment and it’s really pissing me off now.
Or the coaching staff was shit scared of having a player who have missed the majority of the season with niggling injuries play on with a knock in a high intensity game.

Occam’s razor is never enough when it comes to Martial it seems.

KikiDaKats

Supports
Or the coaching staff was shit scared of having a player who have missed the majority of the season with niggling injuries play on with a knock in a high intensity game.

Occam’s razor is never enough when it comes to Martial it seems.
When has he not had niggles?

The reference of simple explanations don’t lead to discoveries. The hard questions have to be asked at some point.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This is the type of statements I find reprehensible. It's not like Martial was no longer up for the game, he was unlucky with Dabitzer falling on his knewww he s probably seeing his united future collapse in front of him.

A top level athlete who's body is failing them is a travesty, especially for the athlete whose seeing his prime and future slip away. Can't feel too sorry because they are more than well remunerated, but this seems borderline "victim blaming"
Scholes showed several times how out of touch he really is with football which is a damn shame as he was a superb player

kouroux

Common belief ? That's just crazy myths peddled by idiots. Some players are extremely fragile and get injured more easily than others, it ain't that much more complicated.
I don't understand how people can assess the pain tolerance of pros and how they should react to it according to their narrow minded views

Abraxas

Just not reliable enough.

It doesn't matter what area you look at with Martial, there's always several question marks. The only possible exception is his technical skill, his touch, that's hard to quibble with.

Physically he can't run for 90 minutes, never has been a strong suit. Even if he does his body falls apart and we can't keep him off the doctors bench. Not his fault and I don't read anything into that beyond the fact his body is built that way. Mentally he seems to tune in and out and decide when he's going to be a factor and when it's not for him. The inconsistency in performance over the years is frustrating.

It's very unfortunate because some of the stuff he does holding the ball up and laying it off is lovely to watch but overall he's just not an effective body on our payroll and we're kind of stuck with it.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Let him finish his contract.

He can be useful back up whenever he is fit & if he is unhappy of playing time then he can try his hardest to find someone who would want him.

Same with De Gea & Sancho, crazy contracts won’t make then find another club - so finish the contract and leave.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
So weird that you use Sancho as an example of a player whose attitude people don't have an issue with. You sure you read the caf?
I meant the pundits and media. Obviously i dont read all the comments here.

pratyush_utd

A - that's not true is it. Sancho gets plenty of stick

B - even if there is a disparity, it might have something to do with the fact that ones been here 20 months and seen 3 different managers and is still only 23. The other has been here 8 years and proven again and again that he isn't up to it.
This last part is not true. Apart from one bad season under Ole in which entire team was performing poorly ( including Rashford) , Martial has been decent to good. Mourinho just didnt favour him and played him sparingly.

Martial hasnt set the world alight but he has been far better than anything Maguire or Sancho has ever done at United

pratyush_utd

We'll agree to disagree here.
Martial at the start of this season

308 match 82 goals

Rashford at the start of this season

302 games 93 goals.

Not that big difference is it? Martial has been unlucky with injuries this season but still has 7 goals. His last season was absolutely awful but overall its been a decent career. Mourinho just never fancied him and probably cost him a World cup medal.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

308 match 82 goals

302 games 93 goals.

Not that big difference is it? Martial has been unlucky with injuries this season but still has 7 goals. His last season was absolutely awful but overall its been a decent career. Mourinho just never fancied him and probably cost him a World cup medal.
I'm not one of those that completely disregards stats but I do maintain they don't tell the whole story. And I actually like Martial. But he hasn't had a good career here when you look back at it. It's been one that is full of promise unfulfilled.

edcunited1878

308 match 82 goals

302 games 93 goals.

Martial has been a good signing and the hype of his transfer and those performance clauses made so many think he'd be an instant world class player.

The past 3 years since his sending off against Spurs, then his major injuries started with his knee, quad, knee again...his body has never recovered and he may not to his top levels.

It's a damn shame but alas that's where we're at with Martial.

edcunited1878

I'm not one of those that completely disregards stats but I do maintain they don't tell the whole story. And I actually like Martial. But he hasn't had a good career here when you look back at it. It's been one that is full of promise unfulfilled.
You can say the same for many young talented players, especially when they deal with injuries. Dembele for Barca? Neymar hasn't been as good as advertised and has been a crock recently. Gotze peaked extremely early but he never filled that promise. Zaha is a nice player but never kicked on to the promising heights. Nick Powell, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi, Pulisic, etc.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
You can say the same for many young talented players, especially when they deal with injuries. Dembele for Barca? Neymar hasn't been as good as advertised and has been a crock recently. Gotze peaked extremely early but he never filled that promise. Zaha is a nice player but never kicked on to the promising heights. Nick Powell, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi, Pulisic, etc.
Yes, exactly!

KikiDaKats

Supports
Common belief ? That's just crazy myths peddled by idiots. Some players are extremely fragile and get injured more easily than others, it ain't that much more complicated.
I don't understand how people can assess the pain tolerance of pros and how they should react to it according to their narrow minded views
Perception.

kouroux

I usually agree with your posts but you do seem to err on the side of defending players when they're French. Sure you're impartial here?
He'd be from Australia, I'd think the same. I defend players whenever I feel like fans believe in things that make no sense (players faking injuries, players being happy to miss out on football games etc etc..).
In this case, some experts seem to assess the pain tolerance a pro player should have from their comfie homes.

Pickle85

He'd be from Australia, I'd think the same. I defend players whenever I feel like fans believe in things that make no sense (players faking injuries, players being happy to miss out on football games etc etc..).
In this case, some experts seem to assess the pain tolerance a pro player should have from their comfie homes.
So do you think no football players fake injuries or play them up? I have to say I am definitely on the same page, that he's someone that will feel a twinge and use it as an excuse. He's got absolutely no stomach for a fight imo so if he can get out of a situation like the other night, he will.

glasgow 21

So do you think no football players fake injuries or play them up? I have to say I am definitely on the same page, that he's someone that will feel a twinge and use it as an excuse. He's got absolutely no stomach for a fight imo so if he can get out of a situation like the other night, he will.
my answer to this is simple Benzema was injured from about the 3rd min in the CL against chelsea and played the whole game. Martial is done for me as a united player he will not play through the barrier that gets you playing regularly and just goes hiding. If this isn't the case then United back room medical staff need sacked he was give full chance to recover and make a strong return what now a few sparking appearances in the US tour to be out again until feb 2024.

kouroux

To deliberately miss out on weeks/months of football ? Absolutely not when it comes to Martial. Having no stomach for a fight and faking things are different things.
When has Martial ever been asked to be subbed for a twinge like you say ? All of his injuries are documented and "make sense". Even in this last game, there is a strong contact on him.
Fans wanna act like they're more distraught than the players themselves when they're injured. The first people in pain, annoyed and frustrated will always be the players

my answer to this is simple Benzema was injured from about the 3rd min in the CL against chelsea and played the whole game. Martial is done for me as a united player he will not play through the barrier that gets you playing regularly and just goes hiding. If this isn't the case then United back room medical staff need sacked he was give full chance to recover and make a strong return what now a few sparking appearances in the US tour to be out again until feb 2024.
Your answer makes no sense, I'm sorry to say this. The players are different, the situations are different. You can't compare impact injuries on different players like you'd do dishes with 2 different restaurants.

I could give you an example of a player who didn't last more than 10 minutes and had to be subbed. What does that anecdotal fact bring to the discussion ?

This is the only conclusion we can make as fans given the information we have available

Last edited:

el3mel

Who knows. He kept AnDo around for a long time while Anderson didnt offer much and was injured often
Anderson wasn't a coward though, is he ? Martial is basically a coward, just like Sancho. I hate these kind of players.

Bondi77

I meant the pundits and media. Obviously i dont read all the comments here.
Do what I do then and don't listen to the pundits as most are thick as feck anyway.
You have to remember that Manchester United are a British club and play their football in England and most of the pundits are British so if their loyalties lie there and they are not instructed by their paymasters to be neutral then it is not going to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.