5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Well it could, and then we decided that to put an unqualified PE teacher in charge of a professional football club.
How are people still trying to blame Ole for some of the players performances/fitness issues 18 months after he left? :lol: Let it go lads.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
All this outrage over someone falling on his ankle and him rolling it. I know emotions is involved in football but people ought to learn to take a breath and think before presenting their opinions.

Also quite pathetic from the like of Scholes and some pundits trying to pass a certain narrative over a player who genuinely got injured in a game through no fault of his own.

How many of the people crying in here can play with a rolled ankle.

Stadjer

All this outrage over someone falling on his ankle and him rolling it. I know emotions is involved in football but people ought to learn to take a breath and think before presenting their opinions.

Also quite pathetic from the like of Scholes and some pundits trying to pass a certain narrative over a player who genuinely got injured in a game through no fault of his own.

How many of the people crying in here can play with a rolled ankle.
Martial is just an easy target. Look at the posts on this forum alone (a Manchester United forum with Manchester United fans posting about their own player) and its very negative. A pundit making a negative comment on tv will be what people want to hear. A bad pundit without much insights at all will just go for the easy comment that will please most viewers.

How are people still trying to blame Ole for some of the players performances/fitness issues 18 months after he left? :lol: Let it go lads.
Martial didnt have the injury record he has now before Ole got his hand on him. Martial was important for Ole during the good periods and Ole did everything to cling onto his job. Including playing injured players. Martial told in an interview that he did play with injuries because Ole asked him. Rashford also played with injuries during the Ole period so there is evidence Ole would play injured players.

Result now? Martial is injured most of the season. Would playing through injury be a reason for that? Seems a reasonable explanation why a player with an okayish injury record turned into a perma injured player over the period he had a manager that played him through injury? It isnt strange to look at Ole his role in Martial his current injury problems.

Brighton 0:0 Man Utd

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Rubbish game.

Martial's life cycle:

1. Comes back from injury, plays few very good games and scores some important goals
2. Goes quiet for few games but scores an odd goal or two so we are all convinced he'll start playing well
3. One or two games where he stops running or doing anything to remind us he is actually on the pitch
4. Gets injured again combined with breaking up with his girlfriend/contract renewal or something like that, while his fans convince us he is World Class and that we don't need new striker because there aren't many strikers in the world as he is

Rinse and repeat

UnitedRepublic

Can someone tell me What this new top striker do when you got Antony going for his cut in shoot instead of passing the ball or Bruno going for the shot when the striker is there to get played in. We got players that rather take 50% chances instead of making it a 75% chance for someone else.

Stadjer

Did okay when he received the ball. Kept it in the team. Got a few good presses that resulted in him taking the ball. Should have resulted in atleast a yellow card for Webster.

He did show some of his weaknesses too, didnt make a run into the box when he should have. Someone like Haaland would have sprinted to the spot where Antony delivered the ball. Martial just doesnt have that instinct to be where the ball will be. Also he didnt do well when he tried to lob Sanchez. Not sure why he took that shot, maybe he isnt able to sprint and run with the ball anymore after all those injuries or maybe he doesnt trust himself to make that sprint (yet).

Not as bad as people said during the match or mark him now.

SER19

Dreadful. At his best he's a fantastic player and martial at his very best is the template id use when looking for a striker. Hes just too unreliable

InfiniteBoredom

Better than all the other attackers bar Antony, which wasn’t much admittedly because the attack as a whole was shit.

Tough game though, they got the bulk of possession before Fred’s introduction and even after that, we were no better at playing through the middle to find him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Working with scraps, i'm not sure what anyone expects. Would be the same with any striker.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Had his good moments with hold up and link up, had his bad moments at not attacking space and bad penalty box positioning. That's him though. Much rather have him there than any of the alternatives.

Wrap him in bubble wrap before the final.

meamth

When will we try to work the ball into the net?

I'm so confused, what difference does it make if Osimhen didn't get those chances?

At this point Martial doesn't even bother to run at far post or preparing to finish, just a waste of time.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Maybe I just have a soft spot for the lad. He contributed with what was possible and no chance of scoring because Bruno and Antony wanted personal glory.

lostcauz

Maybe I just have a soft spot for the lad. He contributed with what was possible and no chance of scoring because Bruno and Antony wanted personal glory.
Antony put the ball into a very dangerous space for him to score but Martial decided he didn’t want to make the effort. Yes, it was only one occasion but it could’ve changed the game

Raven

He showed some serious pace today, something I haven't seen from him in some time.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Antony put the ball into a very dangerous space for him to score but Martial decided he didn’t want to make the effort. Yes, it was only one occasion but it could’ve changed the game
I agree he stopped moving once but does it mean chance creation should stop?

Abraxas

Some good play. Drifted out of the game, lacked intensity, possibly fitness. Meh. It was okay. I don't think there was a lot of creation for him, but at the same time, top strikers usually find a way to make themselves more likely to be on the end of something with intensity and movement at the right moments.

The White Pele

Tried hard today. Had a few things that didn’t come off for him. Hopefully he will play himself back into some form in the next weeks

El Jefe

He's pointless. He's behind the pace of the game in nearly every game he's played this season. He was sharp to start the season because he had a run of games plus a good preseason but we all know he can't have a run of games without getting injured.

He's always a step behind the play which is why he doesn't get many chances.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He clearly isn't fit. I'd rather sancho Rashford Antony as a trio.

MadMike

I though he was pretty good. He was working with scraps. Rashford had a completely off day and Antony was incredibly selfish as per usual. He was very good with his hold up play and rotating the ball.

redIndianDevil

The same problems with Martial, lacks intensity in pressing, didn’t make enough runs. We should have tried to switch Martial over to the left and Rashford in the middle for sometime. Nothing was coming off for Rashford and Martial likes to take on players from the left.

Chinchy98

Forward line were feeding off scraps, Brighton were set up really well defensively which meant we couldn't really play through the lines to him.

Tough game, but money in the bank fitness & minutes wise.

Son

He was alright yesterday but I’m not sure he’s a centre forward.

When Martial has space on the left he could always cause chaos and beat a man. His holdup play just isn’t remotely good enough to be a top centre forward and he never gets space to do his best ability. Dribble.

crossy1686

career ending

When Martial has space on the left he could always cause chaos and beat a man. His holdup play just isn’t remotely good enough to be a top centre forward and he never gets space to do his best ability. Dribble.
Man, not this again.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

His hold up play is pretty much his best quality, don't agree with this at all. His dribbling isn't what it used to be and he tends to struggle more on the wing these days, but through the middle he does it well. That's the one thing he still provides at a high level for us, the ball sticks to him and he can receive it under pressure and play others in. His issue is he doesn't follow the attack and just run into the empty space to get the goals... But his hold up play is generally excellent, or as good as you get without being Benzema/Lewandowski/Kane level. Hell his hold up play is arguably better than Kane's as he is quicker and better at receiving the ball with a man on his back than Kane is as he can turn quickly (Kane is just better at everything else).

RuudtheRed

He has the best hold up play in the squad. Whether that is praise of him or an indictment on our forwards, I'll leave it up for interpretation. I think he played alright. It was encouraging to see him show a turn of pace when he was chasing down a loose ball, and get closer to completing 90 minutes. I'm enjoying his return to the field given our alternatives.

Son

His hold up play is pretty much his best quality, don't agree with this at all. His dribbling isn't what it used to be and he tends to struggle more on the wing these days, but through the middle he does it well. That's the one thing he still provides at a high level for us, the ball sticks to him and he can receive it under pressure and play others in. His issue is he doesn't follow the attack and just run into the empty space to get the goals... But his hold up play is generally excellent, or as good as you get without being Benzema/Lewandowski/Kane level. Hell his hold up play is arguably better than Kane's as he is quicker and better at receiving the ball with a man on his back than Kane is as he can turn quickly (Kane is just better at everything else).
You know what actually, I’ll concede I’m probably wrong about the holding the ball parts. Maybe a bit reactionary as he’s been bang average yet again this season.

You are also right his dribbling has dropped also so he won’t be as effective on the wing.

That tells me we should get rid at the latest end of next season. I get keeping him as squad depth for a year longer but that’s it.

I’d say he’s been stealing a living at United if we didn’t have Phil Jones and Eric Baily on the books.

buchansleftleg

Whilst he can hold the ball up he doesn't do any of the things I'd expect from a centre forward such as...

Chase down any potential ball into the box and make darting runs to make himself available or create space for others.
Chase every pass back to the Keeper...usually results in 2 or 3 goals per season to most strikers
Anticipate and be ready for any knockdowns / spills from the keeper - time and again you see him flat footed watching the keeper spill the ball he then takes an age to react when taking a risk would equal a few goals a season.

These are basic things any striker should be doing. That AM doesn't do them costs us 5-6 goals a season at the very least.

Skills

Snitch
Whilst he can hold the ball up he doesn't do any of the things I'd expect from a centre forward such as...

Chase down any potential ball into the box and make darting runs to make himself available or create space for others.
Chase every pass back to the Keeper...usually results in 2 or 3 goals per season to most strikers
Anticipate and be ready for any knockdowns / spills from the keeper - time and again you see him flat footed watching the keeper spill the ball he then takes an age to react when taking a risk would equal a few goals a season.

These are basic things any striker should be doing. That AM doesn't do them costs us 5-6 goals a season at the very least.
Which strikers got 3 goals from doing that this season?

Raven

He was very important to our press yesterday. He was also consistently getting into positions for passes/keeper spills but unfortunately the ball didn't come to him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
To all you who blindly label this or that player "lazy", please watch this video to understand why it wasn't wise for him to press like the mad man you'd want him to be

TempusFugit

I don't think he's playing at 100%, let's put it that way. I think he's scared of injury and he's not using all the physical abilities he has at his disposal. I actually think he's not lost much pace at all, there was a loose ball in the Brighton game on the left flank where he turned on the jets and it took me a while to realize that was him sprinting, not Rashford.

I think the injuries have given him a mental block, he rarely ever uses his full speed these days, might be thinking he could go all out and something snaps again. At least he's playing more often these days, we'll need him to beat Spurs on Thursday. He's a good player, clearly good enough to be here but we a need a more consistent goal scorer to get to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.