5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

It would make sense if Martial was playing through an injury at the time as his form inexplicably fell off a cliff after being quite effective the previous season.

At the same time though, I do think it's quite common for managers to get players to play through injuries, whether people like it or not. Several England managers did it with Rooney, Mourinho famously did it with several players at Chelsea, and did it with Smalling while he was here.

I actually think it's the medical staff who should be stronger in these situations. Managers will always be selfish because ultimately it's their head on the chopping block if results don't come.

90 + 5min

Are you meant to throw your current ones under the bus? Should he have said this while Solskjaer was still managing us?
He should not mention any manager because we all know that managers haven't been problems at this club and in the team.

Telsim

My word the Ole witch hunt is never gonna end on here. The moment something negative about him is uttered, no evidence is needed to crucify him.

Never mind that Physios and doctors wouldn't allow a player to be played if there's risk of him aggravating an injury, let's just believe something said by a wildly inconsistent and perpetually injured player, so we can again start blaming Ole. And this is a player half on here wanted gone in the summer. The Caf is something else :lol: .
Right. Because only one thing can be true at any given moment. Martial isn't the first to come out claiming he played injured and that it has affected his performance, and that's also in line with what we were seeing. Same as Rashford, same as Shaw, same as Maguire. But at least Martial took some accountability and seems to understand what the issue is. Ole's reign set the club back years, of course he is still going to be discussed. Because the consequences are still being felt. Ole's army can try to downplay that as much as they want, but the effects are undeniable.

That doesn't mean Martial shouldn't be gotten rid of. Players who play less than 50% of the time and can't be relied upon when the stakes are high are next to useless. He is being paid a fortune to sit on the table. His time was due long ago, but unfortunately Woodward saddled us with a contract that makes him unsaleable. What I find more curious however is how many people are ardently shitting on Martial, but God forbid anything bad is said about Saint Marcus. All of Shaw, Rashford, and Martial should either be dispensed with or should have their contracts restructured to be performance based. But none of that makes Ole less shite of a manager, and ultimately Martial is right to give his perspective.

Member 101269

Why should he be gone? He’s talking about former club employees. Nothing bad about the club or current staff.
He's talking about his time at united, the manager(s) were representing/making decisions on behalf of the club. He is bad mothing the club publically.

SirAF

Ageist
Has he spoken about it before? I don't have a problem with him telling his side of the shirt number issue. If my boss did something similar to me I'd think he was a cnut. It's terrible man management.
:boring:

He should have offered it to Zlatan himself. Goes without saying when such a legend arrives. Same with Ronaldo and Cavani.

criticalanalysis

It would make sense if Martial was playing through an injury at the time as his form inexplicably fell off a cliff after being quite effective the previous season.

At the same time though, I do think it's quite common for managers to get players to play through injuries, whether people like it or not. Several England managers did it with Rooney, Mourinho famously did it with several players at Chelsea, and did it with Smalling while he was here.

I actually think it's the medical staff who should be stronger in these situations. Managers will always be selfish because ultimately it's their head on the chopping block if results don't come.
Agree but I think the overall issue with Ole (if these allegations and words from our players are true) is that he asked or chose players with injury and persisted with them until they dropped off a cliff. His lack of squad rotation, because he had no other alternative tactics or coaching ability exasperated the problem. Ole had one plan and that was chose the best individual players, then pray for the best.

There was no 'second' squad that could maintain the level or give leeway for the first teamers because Ole never raised their ability/confidence through playing time or on the training pitch. Honestly, not that there's not enough evidence already but it's such a damning view of Ole's management.

TheReligion

Abusive
He's talking about his time at united, the manager(s) were representing/making decisions on behalf of the club. He is bad mothing the club publically.
No he’s not. He’s bad mouthing Mourinho and Solskjaer neither of whom are part of the club

Member 101269

No he’s not. He’s bad mouthing Mourinho and Solskjaer neither of whom are part of the club
They were managers at united, those managers made decisions for the club. If you cannot understand management structures/power within organisational structures i cannot help you.

90 + 5min

:lol::lol:

You really need to find another hobby. Anything. Just not football.
Blame should be on the players. Not all, but lot of them. Not managers. Thankfully some of the biggest problems are gone to other clubs. They have thrown managers under the bus everytime. Martial needs to take a good look at himself and what he has done for the club and for the team. He should wonder, have I done enough?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
So that’s:
  • Rashford who played through a back injury consistently (which I believe he got by having to unnecessarily come on as a sub in an FA cup game against Wolves);
  • Pogba who played through an ankle injury against fecking Rochdale for 120 minutes which then needed surgery (he was out for 17 matches after this)
  • Maguire played through a hip injury (which I think was the same Wolves game as Rashford!);
  • Lindelof misc back injury problems; and now
  • Martial having played through 4 months of injury in which he claims wasn’t even able to accelerate
Scandalous stuff. Anyone else?
I think there were reports, when Ole was here, that he's the type of manager who believes players should take injections/medication and play through the pain

jamesjimmybyrondean

"He's deflecting blame"
"He's shitting on Ole"
"He's not taking responsibility"

Some of you just see what you want to see

mu4c_20le

Wouldn't even call that bad mouthing, just stating a fact and explaining why he was poor. I think there's one tweet in there in about ten and the usual suspects focus on that for some reason.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He hasn’t said anything for five years, he didn’t come out after the shirt number thing, he didn’t come out after being replaced by Sanchez, he didn’t come out after being forced to play injured and subsequently skewered by fans. He’s pretty much kept his mouth shut, except for one interview in March. At the end of the day he’s a human being, and entitled to put his opinions forth. Everything he says seems legit. He’s been a talent that we’ve managed poorly.

i hope he can get fully fit and firing on all cylinders this season, and we can talk about what he does in the pitch rather than what has happened in the past. I am not interested in going back and rehashing previous managers anymore, it’s all been said. We should be looking forwards. Hopefully for his sake, this helps him move on from the past too.

I have no problem with anything he’s said. People giving him a hard time over this interview, just need to calm down.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Him feeling that he has a point to prove can only be a good thing.
And to be honest, he has come into preseason and played the few minutes he has like he has got one. he hasn't even blamed anyone, people just get worked up over nothing.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Who is he going to blame for managing to stay fit all of 5 minutes in pre season under the new manager?

ShinjiNinja26

Who is he going to blame for managing to stay fit all of 5 minutes in pre season under the new manager?
Ole I’d assume for making him play through injuries in the past. That may be taking its toll now, who knows what damage that’s done to his body, Rashford as well. Fecking moronic management to say the least.

Judas

Open to offers
Personally think he should just play better instead. Not really interested in his side of the story right now till he does a bit more on the pitch. We knew Ole was continuously playing players who weren't fit, the bloke was desperate to keep his job at any cost, and players like Rashford have paid the price.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The club needs to put a curfew on doing inane and asinine interviews , save us and Eric a ton of drama.

the_cliff

Tbf to Martial he was pivotal in our covid season where we finished 2nd and he couldn't get a look in when Ronaldo came. It's easy to see why he'd be disgruntled. Especially if it's true he played through injuries.

All of this is in the past, hopefully he can get fit and stay fit this season, I'm sure ETH will make good use of him. He has all the tools and talent to be an important player for us and could save us a fortune in the transfer window if he can finally hold down that number 9 spot.

Shai-Hulud

All I'm getting from that quote is 'if managers don't play me consistently, I'm not consistent.' which is rather misleading.
He's a confidence player. When he's not trusted and selected as the number 1 striker, he falls to bits. He can't handle the uncertainty of competition.

flappyjay

If lvg is that last manager that was hands on with his development then it makes sense why we haven't developed anyone into a world beater in the past decade. It's sink or swim. Hopefully EtH takes a more hands on approach with the new generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.