Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Looks like hes close.
He's been on the pitch since before the Tottenham game, they are just making sure he's 100% or at least close before bringing him back, which makes sense considering how fragile his body currently is. No need to risk aggravating anything or further injuries if he isn't fully fit.

Irwin99

Maybe that World Cup might be a good thing if we can get this guy up to speed again before the December fixtures. I'm not even sure he's good enough to be a top centre forward for us in the long term but we really could do with him in the squad.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I think he's probably our best all round option right now for number 9 but he's made of paper so it's a bit pointless really.

Doesn't even seem to be big injuries either just lots of smaller ones. Very frustrating for him and us.

We have to make a striker signing in January even if it's a short term one or loan. We can't get through to May with what we have.

Shimo

Assuming no news of him training with the group yet. ETH said he was on the pitch last week and would have to see this week. Becoming a bit of meme but, really hope he is back soon - could really do with his finishing.

SAF is the GOAT

I love Tony but at some point we'll have to sell him or let him go, this situation is bloody ridicules

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I think people should just expect him to return post world cup. Will save you all the heartaches.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I love Tony but at some point we'll have to sell him or let him go, this situation is bloody ridicules

But ‘this situation’ has literally lasted 6 weeks. People have now chosen to substitute being frustrated with his performances to being frustrated with his injuries. This wasn’t the case with him before, even over the past 18 months where he’ll be fit for a game or two at a time. This has started literally in August. Way too early to be making such decisions, unless our medical department recommends it.

gza the genius

But ‘this situation’ has literally lasted 6 weeks. People have now chosen to substitute being frustrated with his performances to being frustrated with his injuries. This wasn’t the case with him before, even over the past 18 months where he’ll be fit for a game or two at a time. This has started literally in August. Way too early to be making such decisions, unless our medical department recommends it.
He's proven in his time here that he's completely unreliable, doesn't matter if it's fitness or form. Continuing to rely on him to be our first choice striker would be and has proven consistently to be a mistake.

I like Martial a lot, he's clearly extremely talented and when he's in form he's very good but you just can't ever count on seeing that form from him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why are people reacting as if something new happened?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's proven in his time here that he's completely unreliable, doesn't matter if it's fitness or form. Continuing to rely on him to be our first choice striker would be and has proven consistently to be a mistake.

I like Martial a lot, he's clearly extremely talented and when he's in form he's very good but you just can't ever count on seeing that form from him.
Players don’t get sold on the basis of their form 3 or 4 years ago. The manager is satisfied with his form and ability, the issue is his fitness, and the extent of his troubles remains to be seen.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think it would have been better if EtH said Martial was out for X months/weeks. Now fans expect him to be back for every next game and they are disappointed that he isn't available.

gza the genius

Players don’t get sold on the basis of their form 3 or 4 years ago. The manager is satisfied with his form and ability, the issue is his fitness, and the extent of his troubles remains to be seen.
I don't necessarily think ETH will sell him but I do think he's got to be wanting another striker so he isn't relying on Martial. It's clearly not working. I think we're already short up top and with Ronaldo the obvious first one out the door that we'll keep Martial for another season at least.

I don't mind having him in the squad but thinking he'll be a starter is bound to end in disappointment.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't necessarily think ETH will sell him but I do think he's got to be wanting another striker so he isn't relying on Martial. It's clearly not working. I think we're already short up top and with Ronaldo the obvious first one out the door that we'll keep Martial for another season at least.

I don't mind having him in the squad but thinking he'll be a starter is bound to end in disappointment.
I think he wants a striker mainly because he doesn't rate Ronaldo. As for Martial's injuries, I still think it's too early to look to go in the market because of it. Not unless we have been explicitly told something by our medics. Otherwise, I can't imagine he would think the situation is anything other than unlucky. Martial had a 6 week achilles injury, for instance. If he likes the player, he will most likely just be waiting for him to be fit, as he should be expected to do so, unless there is an underlying issue he is aware of.

Aint gota Kalou

I wish the journalists were better at asking ten hag for time lines on injuries. I expect they're probably keen to not rush him back.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
The only surprise now would be if he isn't injured and available for selection!

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Three brilliant forecasts before the season:

- AWB is a superior right back to Dalot and will be prefered by ten Hag,
- Martinez will be bullied in the PL (simple physics),
- Martial is not really a injury prone player,

Skills

Snitch
Three brilliant forecasts before the season:

- AWB is a superior right back to Dalot and will be prefered by ten Hag,
- Martinez will be bullied in the PL (simple physics),
- Martial is not really a injury prone player,
Martial's injury problems weren't even a topic of discussion. The prediction was that he was too lazy for Ten Hag's football, and would be hated by him for not pressing from the front.

Chief123

Ffs he was back training last week apparently.

From not having any kind of serious injury and just little niggles, we are already close to the World Cup and he’ll have missed half the season.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The winter break might be his only chance to sace his United career (and fitness)
If I had a nickel every time I heard something-something 'last chance to save his career'. The dude has nine lives here, not sure which one he's on currently, but it certainly doesn't feel like the 9th.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Probably not wanting to rush him back if he’s not sure. Not Ole anymore who plays players regardless.

Skills

Snitch
Why would anyone want to get rid of a player the manager's quite clearly a massive fan of? :confused:

romufc

Probably not wanting to rush him back if he’s not sure. Not Ole anymore who plays players regardless.
Weird. Martial came back and started from injury... which set him back more

Then he got injured in the warmup and he was played on, set him back further..

Martial has been rushed back twice this season.

Raven

I'd say you're right, I hope they're working on improving his fitness regime behind the scenes.

gza the genius

Why would anyone want to get rid of a player the manager's quite clearly a massive fan of? :confused:
I don't know where we keep getting this? ETH has been complimentary but he's complimentary of everyone. Martial's competition currently Rashford, who isn't a striker, and Ronaldo who is clearly finished. It's not like he's up against much so obviously ETH is desperate for him to be back. I can't imagine ETH is too thrilled that Martial has only managed to string together a couple 45 minutes or less cameos all season and we're almost to November.

Sylar

Whether martial is fit or not, we would still need a striker. That is very clear. And it cant be short term either. Weve done short term too much and the second year always bites us.
Im not surprised if hes fit, as I thought when he was hurt after the liverpool match that he would be out until Xmas (afterthe world cup). If we can get him for the second half of the season it sets us up nicely.
I expect we will go with Ronaldo, Rashford and possibly Elanga until Summer.

Strats

Didn't see him in the video of the training session the club posted on Youtube.

Would be surprised to see him back before the world cup tbh

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Ffs he was back training last week apparently.

From not having any kind of serious injury and just little niggles, we are already close to the World Cup and he’ll have missed half the season.
The situation is still the same, it's just the way it's being conveyed that confuses people.

Martial has been training since last week but still not with the main group yet as they're taking it slow and making sure he is fully fit.

The wording of these news are throwing people off. Currently Martial isn't injured as it's been posted in this thread, he's back training (as confirmed by Ten Hag in this latest press conference) but not yet ready to go and hasn't been integrated with the main group yet. He's still doing individual training but he's said to be close to return but they insist they are taking it slow.

arthurka

Martial's injury problems weren't even a topic of discussion. The prediction was that he was too lazy for Ten Hag's football, and would be hated by him for not pressing from the front.
Was that the narrative ? I remember many here complaining that he wasn´t reliable and that hasn´t changed, he really can´t be relied on. Either he is frowning or he isn´t available.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This is exactly what's happening. In the website it says Martial is close to returning and Ten Hag has re confirmed again that he's training individually.

Problem is that people think he's still injured which isn't the case. He's been on the pitch(doing individual training)since last week but they are taking it slow and being careful.

So just like before last game, if Ten Hag says he's still not available, it's not because of reinjury or him still injured but the staff still taking it slow.

Shimo

For me it's because last week he said he was on the pitch but, not be available for Chelsea game but, shall see next week. Latest comment is that he is still injured, so not sure if it's a setback or still just on path to recovery.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I don't know where we keep getting this? ETH has been complimentary but he's complimentary of everyone. Martial's competition currently Rashford, who isn't a striker, and Ronaldo who is clearly finished. It's not like he's up against much so obviously ETH is desperate for him to be back. I can't imagine ETH is too thrilled that Martial has only managed to string together a couple 45 minutes or less cameos all season and we're almost to November.
Where we keep getting this? How about the fact that Ten Hag has been extremely complimentary of Martial even going as far as raving about him doing well in training?

Or how about the fact that the team plays better football, much more in line with what Ten Hag want to see when Martial plays. You think he wouldn't be thrilled to have such a player with him and would be looking to offload him if given the chance due to some unlucky injury situations?

Martial has given all the reasons for Ten Hag to want him and have him as an integral part of his plan. Not only does he help Ten Hag but also his teammates on the attacking end. With Martial around they've hardly misfired playing in ETH system.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
For me it's because last week he said he was on the pitch but, not be available for Chelsea game but, shall see next week. Latest comment is that he is still injured, so not sure if it's a setback or still just on path to recovery.
Still on path to recovery. Wording painted a negative picture of the situation by saying he's still injured. It's clarified on the website where Ten Hag once again confirmed that he's still doing individual training and will be back soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.