5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

foolsgold

Took his goal well, looked a but rusty but maybe on the way back to 19 - 20 form ?

The World Cup might have come at good time for him, gets a chance to do another mini pre-season and come fresh into the second half of the season.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I understand why Ten Hag said he likes Martial's press. He does it intelligently and often opt for cutting passing options rather than just mindlessly going full sprint on wherever the ball goes. The way he presses often results in the keeper going long which is good because it gives us a chance to regain the ball.
Being lazy by nature will often make you effective.

JustinC00

Martial and ETH showing that Ragnick didn't know shite.

Him saying 10 new players wasn't some revelation everyone could fecking see that

SAF is the GOAT

Took his goal well, looked a but rusty but maybe on the way back to 19 - 20 form ?

The World Cup might have come at good time for him, gets a chance to do another mini pre-season and come fresh into the second half of the season.
Gave me that Nightmare flashback from the chance against PSG

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He will, the question is where. If ETH persists with Ronaldo starting too, we are in deep trouble
Martial start and probably comes out at the hour mark or maybe this time they push him to 70 minutes, that's when Ronaldo comes in as a sub. Even that is 20 minutes too much Ronaldo. Ideally Rashford should be moved centrally when Martial subs off but diva will throw a tantrum if he doesn't play.

There is no way Ronaldo deserves to start any game let alone when our injured players are returning.

Sylar

Martial defo should start v Fulham even if he ends up being subbed off around 60 or 70. Its the last game before the WC break which he isnt going to be part of.
Our next meaningful game is then the Caraboa cup on 20th December which he should be starting.

It also highlights how badly we need a striker in the mould of him.

flappyjay

End of May you could never have guessed that a half fit Martial could be better the cr7 but here are.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
“We have Cristiano and we have options there but quite clear to my way of playing, I like a player like Anthony. He can hold the ball, he can finish and is a good presser.”

Ten Hag has repeatedly made it abundantly clear that Martial is his perfect CF who suit his style which one can see given how well Martial and the team seem to play. Sans Martial Ten Hag doesn't have the hold up play his team needs which is why it's incumbent of Martial to try and stay fit for the remainder of the season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Given he's clearly our best CF right now and we're already on the verge of being within the top four without him so far, I think it's fair to say him being fit for the second half of the season could absolutely be the difference between us finishing in the CL places and not. Even if he's not scoring the goals himself, we function better with him in the team.

And from a longer term perspective the fact that having Martial in the team makes that much of a difference increases my optimism for the impact the purchase of a better CF over the summer could have on the team.

Sometimes in the past it has felt like we have looked to the transfer market to try and address flaws in the team that actually have more systemic or coaching roots, but in this case it actually is a direct personnel issue. Add a quality CF option and the team steps up a level immediately.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We turned him into a bench warmer after Van Gaal and even tried to get rid of him and now that we have another Dutch manager that likes him we are left with a broken Martial. Shame.

Glorio

"But, [be] quite clear, in my way of playing I like the type [of player] Antony Martial is, because he can hold the ball,'' added Ten Hag.

''He is a [also] a target, he can link up, but he can also run behind.

''He has speed, he can finish, and he has good pressure [presses well]."

ETH - Newest member of Martial FC, got his pass and laptop from reception last night. Had that fresh new employee energy as he was shown around the campus :drool: :drool: :drool:

lex talionis

We turned him into a bench warmer after Van Gaal and even tried to get rid of him and now that we have another Dutch manager that likes him we are left with a broken Martial. Shame.
There’s a great deal of truth in this. José fukked Tony in the head when he brought in Sanchez, the worst signing in PL history. He’s had purple patches since then but he looks disillusioned with football and although he can still put in a performance here and there, Tony just isn’t going to be the attacking leader this squad desperately needs.

romufc

The way Ten Hag speaks about Martial shows how poorly he rates Ronaldo.

He has always been excited about having Martial back fit, talks about how he is his sort of player.

ShinjiNinja26

The difference in our attacking play when Martial is leading the line compared to Ronaldo. Let’s hope he can stay fit now and Ronnie is shifted on in January.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Martial being a good presser. I’d have called ten Hag a drunk if he said this a year ago.
As others have mentioned in the last pages, he is disciplined and doesn't open passing angles and a funny thing about Martial is that while he is unlikely to press forward like a mad man, he will be where he is supposed to be when tracking back.

That evolution appeared under Mourinho and I'm almost sure that Mourinho was demanding different things from Martial and Rashford. It's one of the good things that Mourinho brought.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Martial being a good presser. I’d have called ten Hag a drunk if he said this a year ago.
All relative, I suppose. Compared to some other options we have in that position he's a pressing machine.

Plus a lot of our perception of Martial is informed by those stretches of bad form when he looked completely uninterested, which hasn't been the case in his limited time under ETH so far.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Erik, welcome to Martial FC.

I do wonder what we will do regarding new striker (when Ronaldo leaves). If Martial is Erik's perfect striker then will we buy backup cheap option (and gamble on Martial's fitness) or will we go for new 70-80 mil striker which puts Martial as backup option.
On striker position there is no "let them share minutes" phrase. You always have first choice and backup.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Erik, welcome to Martial FC.

I do wonder what we will do regarding new striker (when Ronaldo leaves). If Martial is Erik's perfect striker then will we buy backup cheap option (and gamble on Martial's fitness) or will we go for new 70-80 mil striker which puts Martial as backup option.
On striker position there is no "let them share minutes" phrase. You always have first choice and backup.
The thing is, that if Martial is fit, he plays like a 100mil striker. So you can spend 80m or whatever on someone like Lautaro Martinez, 50m on Toney, whatever... they won't start over him. Even Joao Felix, in the prem, of course he'd play but he wouldn't for sure start ahead of Martial as a 9. Has the potential for it though. It's a weird scenario because Martial is perfect for Ten Hag and if he plays to the level that he is capable of, consistently (which he has been under Ten Hag...), then there's very few strikers better suited for him IMO.

largelyworried

He really does give us another dimension. We just need him to stay fit for half a season, is that too much to ask for?

lenny_1248

It seems like he was written off by the majority of United fans at least 5 times during his career here) But he raises from the ashes like a phoenix every time.
I just hope he stays healthy. Always believed in Tony Marshall.

Greck

“We have Cristiano and we have options there but quite clear to my way of playing, I like a player like Anthony. He can hold the ball, he can finish and is a good presser.”

Ten Hag has repeatedly made it abundantly clear that Martial is his perfect CF who suit his style which one can see given how well Martial and the team seem to play. Sans Martial Ten Hag doesn't have the hold up play his team needs which is why it's incumbent of Martial to try and stay fit for the remainder of the season.
Comments like this and the stupid crossing to Ronaldo is why I love ETH. If you're seeing it he's definitely thinking it. This week hasn't minced his words about what he wants from the position.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It seems like he was written off by the majority of United fans at least 5 times during his career here) But he raises from the ashes like a phoenix every time.
I just hope he stays healthy. Always believed in Tony Marshall.
I have said it in the past. For a player that is often derided, he seems to win his place back in the side quite often. People forget his goals kept Mourinho in the job longer than it would have been after losing his place a number of times.

Andersons Dietician

Can’t remember who it was used to debate with on here about Martials pressing think it was Pogue something. Always said if you actually watch him he’s quite good at it and organises the others. He’s good at blocking the passing lanes and squeezing the space.

Was told it was nonsense of course, but good to see that ETH also agrees.

Rashford feeds kids but Martial serving Banquets for the FC

Greck

Can’t remember who it was used to debate with on here about Martials pressing think it was Pogue something. Always said if you actually watch him he’s quite good at it and organises the others. He’s good at blocking the passing lanes and squeezing the space.

Was told it was nonsense of course, but good to see that ETH also agrees.

Rashford feeds kids but Martial serving Banquets for the FC
Rashford has also been good. They are both making us proud. In fact the myth that Rash has sucked at CF this season is also very irritating. He should be Martial's backup for the position.

Xaviboy

Few examples in 1st half of us pressing villa trying to play out from the back, think it was between 13th-14th minute of game shows the difference in Martial pressing compared to Ronaldo. Martial pressed and defender ended up playing 10 yard pass forward and we won ball back from this press. Ronaldo would of stayed in one spot and wouldn't bother pressing.

Hopefully he stays fit for us.

Member 101269

Sorry to poor cold water on the debate. I agree with ETH martial is the type of player, but he's not the player. Fine he scored a tap in against AV, he's not reliable and never has been.

BorisManUtd

4 goals and 2 assists in 220 minutes of football. We can only hope he can stay fit somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.