5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greck

Sorry to poor cold water on the debate. I agree with ETH martial is the type of player, but he's not the player. Fine he scored a tap in against AV, he's not reliable and never has been.
The whole point of Ten Hag's football is creating tap ins. If one can understand that they can see why he prefers Martial. He didn't mince his words so there isn't exactly room for divergent interpretation. Going back to preseason Martial in his very limited appearances is yet to post a bad game under Ten Hag. He fits like a glove. We just need to bin Ronaldo and get a backup that isn't a total liability in everything he mentioned.

Last edited:

UnitedRepublic

We don’t need to splash a fortune for a striker but either way Martial will be in Ten Hags starting 11 next season aswell if he stays injury free.

Member 101269

The whole point of Ten Hag's football is creating tap ins. If one can understand that they can see why he prefers Martial. He didn't mince his words so there isn't exactly room for divergent interpretation. Going back to preseason Martial in his very limited appearances is yet to post a bad game under Ten Hag. He fits like a glove. We just need to bin Ronaldo and get a backup that isn't a total liability in everything he mentioned.
Sorry, there is zero relationship between martial and tap in's that cannot be achieved by others. Going back to preseason is meaningless. No, he didnt have a good game against villa. It is a pathetic try to make this a discussion about Ronaldo and enhance Martial. We need a reliable striker and Martial isn't it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valencia Shin Crosses

Comments like this and the stupid crossing to Ronaldo is why I love ETH. If you're seeing it he's definitely thinking it. This week hasn't minced his words about what he wants from the position.
It's the first time it feels like we have a manager that sees the obvious and always points out the correct things on the pitch from an analysis perspective. It's why I'm so confident he's the one.

Even yesterday he pointed out that we were actually very good pressing and winning the ball in the first half (true), but were diabolical in when to release passes and the quality of our passing after winning possession (also true). It's not just "ah just need to up the tempo we weren't up for it" type bullshit that you'd here from every basic pundit if a team isn't playing well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sorry, there is zero relationship between martial and tap in's that cannot be achieved by others. Going back to preseason is meaningless. No, he didnt have a good game against villa. It is a pathetic try to make this a discussion about Ronaldo and enhance Martial. We need a reliable striker and Martial isn't it.
Martial will get the half season to prove his fitness. If he does, we won't sign a starting level striker to replace him. We'll sign a backup for him. If he struggles with fitness again, then yeah we'll spend big I think. But martial with his performance levels, his abilities, his style is perfect for Ten Hag I think and we'd need a 100m player just to match what Martial can do (when fit). I don't think it's a question of ability/motivation with him anymore.

Member 101269

Martial will get the half season to prove his fitness. If he does, we won't sign a starting level striker to replace him. We'll sign a backup for him. If he struggles with fitness again, then yeah we'll spend big I think. But martial with his performance levels, his abilities, his style is perfect for Ten Hag I think and we'd need a 100m player just to match what Martial can do (when fit). I don't think it's a question of ability/motivation with him anymore.
martial has ability and style of play. the rest about martial is nonsense.

bosnian_red

martial has ability and style of play. the rest about martial is nonsense.
So.... Fitness... Which he will have the chance to prove in this half year til the summer. Because of course. It was the same with Rashford. Nobody in their right mind would spend 100m to probably not even upgrade one what someone you have can offer if they just get fit, or some confidence (which was rashfords case). There comes a point where you move on, but that sure as shit isn't yet for Ten Hag with Martial given he has been class every time he's stepped on the pitch for Ten Hag.

Greck

Did you reason the situation before typing it out? What kind of shallow surface level discussion wants to talk about buying a new striker without addressing the pecking order? You think we'll get one before sorting Ronaldo?

Also please name the other strikers in the present team that can replicate his skillset. You seem to know something Ten Hag doesn't.

Member 101269

So.... Fitness... Which he will have the chance to prove in this half year til the summer. Because of course. It was the same with Rashford. Nobody in their right mind would spend 100m to probably not even upgrade one what someone you have can offer if they just get fit, or some confidence (which was rashfords case). There comes a point where you move on, but that sure as shit isn't yet for Ten Hag with Martial given he has been class every time he's stepped on the pitch for Ten Hag.
martial has had years to prove Fitness. Your comment is more about your hope rather than historical reality.
No it’s not the same as rashford

you can throw numbers about all you like martial hasn’t had a good season, he had a good preseason under favourable circumstances. Martial has never been reliable, his head goes too quickly I wouldn’t be prepared to risk a season on the guy as main striker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Member 101269

Did you reason the situation before typing it out? What kind of shallow surface level discussion wants to talk about buying a new striker without addressing the pecking order? You think we'll get one before sorting Ronaldo?
Oh but it was you who brought in Ronaldo. If you’re not aware Ronaldos contract is up at the end of the season.

do reason your own comments

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Also please name the other strikers in the present team that can replicate his skillset.
Especially since Ronaldo's contract is supposed to end in 2023 or 2024. Finding a replacement seems to be a prudent idea. Also there is no need to discuss anything when it comes to Ronaldo vs Martial in 22-23, one player has 4 goals and 2 assists in 220 minutes while the other has 3 goals and 2 assists in 1051 minutes.

Greck

Oh but it was you who brought in Ronaldo. If you’re not aware Ronaldos contract is up at the end of the season.

do reason your own comments
Jesus fecking Christ. Yes, I know I brought him up. Hence the point made about the pecking order. It needs sorting out because there's this thing called the january window. Christ.

bosnian_red

martial has had years to prove Fitness. Your comment is more about your hope rather than historical reality.
No it’s not the same as rashford

you can throw numbers about all you like martial hasn’t had a good season, he had a good preseason under favourable circumstances. Martial has never been reliable, his head goes too quickly I wouldn’t be prepared to risk a season on the guy as main striker.
He's played well when he's played.

His fitness was fine up until the last year or 2 when he injured his knee. The past with random garbage managers is irrelevant. The question is what can he do now, with Ten Hag. That's why I'm saying he has this half season to prove himself.

Member 101269

Jesus fecking Christ. Yes, I know I brought him up. Hence the point made about the pecking order. It needs sorting out because there's this thing called the january window. Christ.
hold on, what pecking order. ETH said he likes martials style, he didn’t say he preferred martial. You’re making stuff up.

and what first choice striker would be available in January?

bosnian_red

hold on, what pecking order. ETH said he likes martials style, he didn’t say he preferred martial. You’re making stuff up.

He's said it a few times that he's missed martial and how important he sees him and it's quite clear that Martial is the main striker for Ten Hag. You'd have to be blind and not paid attention in how he's used him since he joined not to see that.

Greck

First choice in january? Where did that come from? Certainly not the post you quoted.
We just need to bin Ronaldo and get a backup that isn't a total liability in everything he mentioned.

“We have Cristiano and we have options there but quite clear to my way of playing, I like a player like Anthony. He can hold the ball, he can finish and is a good presser.”

Edit: didn't even need the comments on ETH's preference because I don't believe we even need quotes to explain why Ronaldo should be nowhere near our first team. That one has been proven on the pitch already. His comments are just icing on the cake.

Last edited:

themanguydude

ETH said he likes martials style, he didn’t say he preferred martial.
This is the textbook example of mental gymnastics

Just sheer denial at this point

"No no, I don't want you, just someone like you"

Last edited:

Shimo

ETH for about the 50th time, Martial had a very good pre-season. It's like the bloody election deniers here in the US. Still clinging on to simple facts. Had a very good pre-season and was clearly going to be the starting CF based on it but, then got injured. Each time he has been back has shown to be a difference maker in the CF position. There are very few players in the market right now that have what he brings, which ETH spelled out.

Plays well with his back to goal and hold up play, he presses really well, he has good inter-play with others and also has the speed to get in behind and is able to create/finish on his own. Yet seems like some think that Ten Hag is speaking of some mythological player. Yes he is disappointed in his ability to stay fit but, there are very few players out there that would probably usurp him if he is able to show any kind of long term fitness from here on out.

But, if he has another breakdown or two then most definitely will end up being on the market to be moved on because ETH will want to bring in a striker. That person may not be as a good as a fit and firing Martial but, whomever it will be someone that would be a big signing and not one to keep giving way when Martial is fit.

I'd love for Tony Martial who came from France etc etc to stay fit because he really does fit perfectly but, ETH words about disappointing about his unavailability does make it sound like he doesn't have that many more chances to be the long term CF.

lenny_1248

You know what's funny? All of a sudden Martial has become good at pressing.
He was good under Ole as well. Especially in that 19/20 season. You can rewatch that City game before Covid, he was brilliant.

Greck

You know what's funny? All of a sudden Martial has become good at pressing. One of the complaints from people about him in his past seasons is that he's lazy as feck.
Tbf it's cos he was. He might have shown a good pressing brain but he didn't seem to use it as much.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Can’t question his ability and it seems that an ETH team suits him

the key question is how long can he remain fit each season

OldTrevil

Martial has always been a good presser, but mourinho made people think he's lazy because he doesnt run around like a headless chicken chasing lost causes. ETH is such a breathe of fresh air, and plays the kind of football that will fit Anto to a tee :drool:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Martial has always been a good presser, but mourinho made people think he's lazy because he doesnt run around like a headless chicken chasing lost causes. ETH is such a breathe of fresh air, and plays the kind of football that will fit Anto to a tee :drool:
I could be wrong but I don't think that it was what Mourinho did, people made that claim on their own, Martial repeatedly beat his competition under Mourinho and there is no way Mourinho would start a player that he believes is actually lazy by his standards. If my interpretation of the situation is correct, I believe that he had the same issue that he had with young Higuain/Benzema, he wanted Martial to be more assertive, to take games by the collar more often and more naturally.

OldTrevil

I could be wrong but I don't think that it was what Mourinho did, people made that claim on their own, Martial repeatedly beat his competition under Mourinho and there is no way Mourinho would start a player that he believes is actually lazy by his standards. If my interpretation of the situation is correct, I believe that he had the same issue that he had with young Higuain/Benzema, he wanted Martial to be more assertive, to take games by the collar more often and more naturally.
I may not remember the specific words, but mourinho would put out all these backhanded comments on Martial that alluded to him being lazy. Anyway, he was past it and failed to realise that he had a player with all the skillsets he wanted to instill into a lesser player such as Lukaku. Thankfully we now have a sane manager with a fantastic philosophy of the game.

bosnian_red

Thought he did really well but clearly tired and struggled in the 2nd half til he was subbed. Good to have him back. Makes a massive difference for us in the final third and he showed that with all the chances we had in the first. Should've scored a couple for sure. Please stay fit.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yep great to have him back. Looks a much better player than the last couple seasons. Just need to use the World Cup break to get him back to full fitness and sharpness. I expect a bang when we get back!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ring rust, but the first touch and acceleration on the turn are still there. Encouraging signs

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You just know he'll be injured by the time the games resume, which is staggering given he's about to get 6 weeks off

AFC NimbleThumb

So much better than anything else we’ve had up front this season. Hope he gets some serious fitness in over the coming weeks & can maintain his health as we need 90 minutes from this guy weekly.

Member 101269

Thought he did really well but clearly tired and struggled in the 2nd half til he was subbed. Good to have him back. Makes a massive difference for us in the final third and he showed that with all the chances we had in the first. Should've scored a couple for sure. Please stay fit.
Tired?

The game showed he lacks the mentality to last 90 and incisiveness that is good enough for united. That is something he has never shown throughout his career. Replace him with a quality, no united quality.

Skills

Snitch
Tired?

The game showed he lacks the mentality to last 90 and incisiveness that is good enough for united. That is something he has never shown throughout his career. Replace him with a quality, no united quality.
Oh yeah fatigue doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.