5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteBoredom

Unlucky or whatever but a Manchester United striker should be bagging those. We need strikers who overachieve their xG, just as top strikers do.

Today was frustrating, luckily Garnacho managed to score in the last minute but having draw that game after missing so many chances would've been disappointing to say the least.
The only player currently playing that overachieve his xG over a long period of time is.... Lionel Messi.

Most top forwards score just slightly under their xG. Martial before his horrendous 20/21 season has actually, consistently fit what you’ve just demanded.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Unlucky or whatever but a Manchester United striker should be bagging those. We need strikers who overachieve their xG, just as top strikers do.

Today was frustrating, luckily Garnacho managed to score in the last minute but having draw that game after missing so many chances would've been disappointing to say the least.
Spoken like somebody who doesn't understand xG.

A few players who over their career don't over perform xG as much as Martial does:
  • Lewandowski
  • Ronaldo
  • Benzema

SAFMUTD

The only player currently playing that overachieve his xG over a long period of time is.... Lionel Messi.

Most top forwards score just slightly under their xG. Martial before his horrendous 20/21 season has actually, consistently fit what you’ve just demanded.
How does most top forwarders score just slightly under their xG makes sense?

xG is an average, is top forwarders are below their xG it means that not top forwarders are above.

InfiniteBoredom

xG is an average, is top forwarders are below their xG it means that not top forwarders are above.
Err... it doesn’t work like that. It’s not an average of all the chances all forwards receive, each has an xG of their own from the chances they receive, so if your xG is 35 and you bang in 30 goals, you are a top forward, whereas a random guy playing in Cyprus PL may have an xG of 6 but bang in 9, and still he would still be a journeyman.

bosnian_red

XG is the average percentage that a chance is finished. XG has proven that shooting "above xG" doesn't make you a good player, but accumulating a high amount of xG is what makes you a great player. You can underperform xG and be the best striker in the world, and you can overperform xG more than anyone and be an entirely mediocre player. Over or underperforming xG doesn't make you a good player. Accumulating high xG is what makes you a good player.

SAFMUTD

XG is the average percentage that a chance is finished. XG has proven that shooting "above xG" doesn't make you a good player, but accumulating a high amount of xG is what makes you a great player. You can underperform xG and be the best striker in the world, and you can overperform xG more than anyone and be an entirely mediocre player. Over or underperforming xG doesn't make you a good player. Accumulating high xG is what makes you a good player.
I understand what you're saying meaning that producing a higher xG even when you under perform it will get you better numbers.

What doesn't makes sense to me is how the top players are below the xG? I mean surely the best are the most lethal?

bosnian_red

I understand what you're saying meaning that producing a higher xG even when you under perform it will get you better numbers.

What doesn't makes sense to me is how the top players are below the xG? I mean surely the best are the most lethal?
That's not the case. The best strikers may or may not over/underperform xG. There's no correlation. They get loads of goals because they get themselves in great chances, time and time again. It's their movement, the touch, their ability to turn half chances into great chances through their own work, and they get enough of those over time that gets them the goals. It's not a case of "they score every chance they get". Because that's not true for anyone.

As Sir Alex said, you never worry about a striker if he's just missing chances but is still among the chances. You start to worry when they aren't among the chances. Martial had about 0.9 xG on his own. That's pretty elite. Keeper made some great saves, some bad finishes on his part, but it was just a bad finishing day for him. If he plays like that first half every week, then we have nothing to worry about as the goals would come very quickly (as they have all season with him).

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Tell me another player except for Messi and Ronaldo Thats performed consictantly through out their playing time. Martial might have his best 5 years ahead of him.
Mbappe and Haaland (I don't count a game or two being off as not performing consistently since CR7 and Messi have had the odd poor games here and there as well in their careers).

Member 101269

He has been injured almost the whole start of the season,how is he supposed to be fully fit?

Maybe you have not noticed but Premier League is a high intensity game.

I prefer to listen to Ten Hag wich really likes Martial, than you a couch manager.
let’s keep let’s keep personal comments out of it.

its reported he’s had three injuries in 22/23, successive managers haven’t rated Martial.

this fitness issue is the problem it’s his responsibility to look after his body to be fit.

AlexUTD

let’s keep let’s keep personal comments out of it.

its reported he’s had three injuries in 22/23, successive managers haven’t rated Martial.

this fitness issue is the problem it’s his responsibility to look after his body to be fit.
LvG loved Martial and played him as a no 9.

Mourinho did not like him so Martial did not play much under him.

Solskjaer loved him and played him alot as a no 9 and he had a couple of great seasons, including 17 goals and 9 assists in Solskjaers first full season. Then injuries came for Martial and Moanaldo arrived, Solskjaers best friend and he hardly played.

Ten Hag loves Martial and that is all that matters,if he stays injury free the rest of the season many haters will have to take a seat.

Abraxas

He was very good in the build up, particularly first half. I think he faded, which is probably because he doesn't have match sharpness. But his touch, play back to goal and weight of pass was very good first half and shows what he brings that nobody else is currently capable of in that position. Had a few openings where he could have done better. He's probably not the long term answer, history would suggest that but he's important this year.

Member 101269

LvG loved Martial and played him as a no 9.

Mourinho did not like him so Martial did not play much under him.

Solskjaer loved him and played him alot as a no 9 and he had a couple of great seasons, including 17 goals and 9 assists in Solskjaers first full season. Then injuries came for Martial and Moanaldo arrived, Solskjaers best friend and he hardly played.

Ten Hag loves Martial and that is all that matters,if he stays injury free the rest of the season many haters will have to take a seat.

I'm not sure why you think im not aware AM hasn't ever consistently performed as an elite striker. As for staying injury free, it's not right that united live of wishful thinking without a quality striker. AM is a good backup.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Great hold play but God damn how many chances did he miss? Not good enough, need to be way more clinical.

Can't expect us to create 3-4 clear cut chances for him to score.
How many? One - pass from Rashford that he took inside the box and was stopped by defender, and two the header. Have I missed something?

Strelok

As Sir Alex said, you never worry about a striker if he's just missing chances but is still among the chances. You start to worry when they aren't among the chances.
This is a very good point. People would have a big surprise if they have a look at the conversion rate of the elite goalscorers like Lewan or Kane. The ability to get into the position to score is actually much more important than the conversion rate.

I was quite happy with Martial yesterday. His ability to keep the ball, link up and especially his pressing allowed us to create many chances. We would have scored at least two, maybe three from our high pressing alone in the first half. Shame he didn't score though despite some big chances. But if he can keep himself fit and playing like this the goals surely will come. Hope he can use the WC break to improve his fitness. Him staying fit might save us another £100m I reckon.

I know many would write him off due to him being so injury prone. But truth is you never know in football. RVP was injury prone as hell at Arsenal back then. Robben before his time at Bayern. You never know. Let's just hope for the best I think.

largelyworried

I thought the goal yesterday was a snapshot of what we've been missing when playing with Rashford or Ronaldo up front. Starts with a really good take with his back to goal, turns and drives at their defence then lays it off nicely to Fernandes. As soon as he takes it you can see the runners streak past him because they know what he's going to do. He's the rug that ties the room together. Just praying that body if his can hold it together after the winter break.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How many? One - pass from Rashford that he took inside the box and was stopped by defender, and two the header. Have I missed something?
The one where he tried to nutmeg the keeper with his left foot. That was probably the best one.

No big deal, though. He played well and our attack looked miles more potent overall than it has done without him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The one where he tried to nutmeg the keeper with his left foot. That was probably the best one.

No big deal, though. He played well and our attack looked miles more potent overall than it has done without him.
I can't remember this one, maybe I missed it. Anyway, I'm really not worried considering how unfit he looks, his touch is also miles off to what I'm used to see. I am a bit surprised by negative comments from some on here. It's like he's starting season for the 4th time already.

Raven

I think he had a crack from just outside the box with his left foot as well, none of them were tap ins though. You're absolutely right though, we looks miles better with him in the team, let's just hope his injurys woes are behind him, for this season at least.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think he had a crack from just outside the box with his left foot as well, none of them were tap ins though. You're absolutely right though, we looks miles better with him in the team, let's just hope his injurys woes are behind him, for this season at least.
ETH can’t do any more to get him back to full fitness anyway. He’s been very cautious with his return this time. Hence he was subbed off yesterday when we still needed a goal, presumably.

Raven

ETH can’t do any more to get him back to full fitness anyway. He’s been very cautious with his return this time. Hence he was subbed off yesterday when we still needed a goal, presumably.
Agreed, it's been a far cry from Ole's approach.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I could be wrong but I don't think that it was what Mourinho did, people made that claim on their own, Martial repeatedly beat his competition under Mourinho and there is no way Mourinho would start a player that he believes is actually lazy by his standards. If my interpretation of the situation is correct, I believe that he had the same issue that he had with young Higuain/Benzema, he wanted Martial to be more assertive, to take games by the collar more often and more naturally.
I think there’s a grain of truth in what he says, I remember reading somewhere that the whole team in general runs a lot less under Mourinho than other coaches

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think there’s a grain of truth in what he says, I remember reading somewhere that the whole team in general runs a lot less under Mourinho than other coaches
That's by design and has nothing to do with laziness. Mourinho's tactics off the ball are based on retreating and defending deep which means that unlike many younger managers his players don't add as much counter press meters. It was the case for Chelsea, United and then Tottenham.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That's by design and has nothing to do with laziness. Mourinho's tactics off the ball are based on retreating and defending deep which means that unlike many younger managers his players don't add as much counter press meters. It was the case for Chelsea, United and then Tottenham.
Oh yeah not saying he’s lazy

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We should have won comfortably yesterday . A free header , 3 chances which he couldn't put past the keeper ,the Eriksen chance and the McT header.

No chance we are getting this opportunities if the slave was playing .

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Miles better with him in the team but his finishing is awful.

Greck

Not a bad outing. He didn't play great but he played his role great. However needs consistent finishing but it wasn't bad at all. I'd be more worried if he wasn't already spotting high output on the season. Contributions like holding the ball up long enough for Bruno to push up makes a world of difference in our attacking dynamic. Will be huge for the likes of have Antony, dalot and sancho.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pretty much. There are two important metrics for goalscorers xG and conversation rate, one is about the ability of putting yourself in good goalscoring positions and the other is about converting them. Good attackers are above average in either of these metrics or both. And as you said it's rare for player to outperform his xG and a player doing it is unlikely to sustain it, unless you are prime Messi.

Sylar

The world cup break has come at a decent time for United. And for Martial. Hes back and get a lot of minutes of training and the two friendlies we have coming up will be a good way to get him 'game' time whilst also not pushing him too hard and extreme. Fingers crossed hes back for our return and can actually last.

Member 101269

That's not the case. The best strikers may or may not over/underperform xG. There's no correlation. They get loads of goals because they get themselves in great chances, time and time again. It's their movement, the touch, their ability to turn half chances into great chances through their own work, and they get enough of those over time that gets them the goals. It's not a case of "they score every chance they get". Because that's not true for anyone.

As Sir Alex said, you never worry about a striker if he's just missing chances but is still among the chances. You start to worry when they aren't among the chances. Martial had about 0.9 xG on his own. That's pretty elite. Keeper made some great saves, some bad finishes on his part, but it was just a bad finishing day for him. If he plays like that first half every week, then we have nothing to worry about as the goals would come very quickly (as they have all season with him).
Isn't Martials career xg 0.38?

Miles better with him in the team but his finishing is awful.
No it's not. His finishing is generally good. His problem has always been he likes to play the ball into the goal, he won't take half chances and longer range shots.

bosnian_red

Isn't Martials career xg 0.38?
Yep. He hasn't been good enough in his career. He hasn't been coached well enough in his career as well though. This season it's 1.07. Surely he gets the chance like everyone else to show he can improve under a good coach finally? Because the last time he had a coach who was anywhere remotely close, he was the most promising teenager in world football.

Status
Not open for further replies.