Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yep. He hasn't been good enough in his career. He hasn't been coached well enough in his career as well though. This season it's 1.07. Surely he gets the chance like everyone else to show he can improve under a good coach finally? Because the last time he had a coach who was anywhere remotely close, he was the most promising teenager in world football.
Expected goals isn't limited to one player. You also need someone to actually get the ball to you and United have largely had poor midfield and wing play.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Expected goals isn't limited to one player. You also need someone to actually get the ball to you and United have largely had poor midfield and wing play.
It's a mix of the two. A lot is reliant on the individual. But yeah your team also needs to give you service of course. We weren't coached properly for years so all the players we had were wasted in some way.

Member 101269

Yep. He hasn't been good enough in his career. He hasn't been coached well enough in his career as well though. This season it's 1.07. Surely he gets the chance like everyone else to show he can improve under a good coach finally? Because the last time he had a coach who was anywhere remotely close, he was the most promising teenager in world football.
The sample for this season is too small to make a judgement, it's merely a few games. His best seasons were 0.45xg and assists average 1 in 5 games. I'm expecting a) he'll drop off a lot and or b) he'll be injured and or c) his head will drop with news of a new CF coming in.

I'm not sure it's right to say all previous coaches, including Savilla, weren't good. Did other players perform?

I've never said the guy isn't talented he is, he's just no consistent which undermines his talent

JPRouve

Scout
The sample for this season is too small to make a judgement, it's merely a few games. His best seasons were 0.45xg and assists average 1 in 5 games. I'm expecting a) he'll drop off a lot and or b) he'll be injured and or c) his head will drop with news of a new CF coming in.

I'm not sure it's right to say all previous coaches, including Savilla, weren't good. Did other players perform?

I've never said the guy isn't talented he is, he's just no consistent which undermines his talent
He roughly has the same stats than Rashford and they have both been our most prolific players. It's also worth remembering that both of them spent a significant amount of time as wingers under Mourinho, not wide forward. That brings down their xG and probably increase their xA a little bit.

Their xG and xA are comparable to players like Son Heung Min and Luis Diaz.

Member 101269

He roughly has the same stats than Rashford and they have both been our most prolific players. It's also worth remembering that both of them spent a significant amount of time as wingers under Mourinho, not wide forward. That brings down their xG and probably increase their xA a little bit.

Their xG and xA are comparable to players like Son Heung Min and Luis Diaz.
You seem to be comparing like for like in stats terms not likely for likely in relative position hierarchy terms. Wasn't Ronaldo a left winger?

JPRouve

Scout
You seem to be comparing like for like in stats terms not likely for likely in relative position hierarchy terms. Wasn't Ronaldo a left winger?
What are you talking abou? You are the one who brought up career stats, the context of these career stats is that they are comparable to some of the current best PL attackers. And Ronaldo was a wide forward and arguably the most prolific player of all time, it would be silly to use his historic stats as a benchmark for anyone.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

I'm not saying it's all on the coaches. He is also to blame. His fitness since his best season in 19/20 has been horrible. He's lost confidence too easily in the past. He was young though. Many players to through this. But no one can deny his coaches and the club have been mismanaged. The coaching just hasn't been there to give him a platform to succeed. At Sevilla he got a knee injury right away. He's always suited a possession focused manager more. He had good seasons during his time here like others, but mainly inconsistent. A good coach and system turns inconsistent players into consistent ones.

And yeah, he definitely won't carry this level forward. He has been at Haaland at Man City level in limited minutes. But I'd put money on him putting in his best ever season, with a coach that finally suits him and him being at the age where many strikers make the step up. Fitness is the one thing where you don't know how it'll go. Took RvP til his late 20s for that to be sorted. I can see him settling into a 0.6xg per 90 range which is still really good.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
No it's not. His finishing is generally good. His problem has always been he likes to play the ball into the goal, he won't take half chances and longer range shots.
Well either way, I'm sure we can agree that he doesn't score anywhere near enough.

UpWithRivers

No it's not. His finishing is generally good. His problem has always been he likes to play the ball into the goal, he won't take half chances and longer range shots.
Its almost as if he's a winger and not a natural striker

Strelok

Agree. I've no idea why someone would say he's a bad finisher. Last season aside he has one of the best conversion rates in Europe in the last three or four seasons if my memory serves me right. I only can find this:

Idxomer

I would say he was an excellent finisher till the Sevilla game in 2020, he hasn't been the same since.

Raven

Agree. I've no idea why someone would say he's a bad finisher. Last season aside he has one of the best conversion rates in Europe in the last three or four seasons if my memory serves me right. I only can find this:

Yep, he used to be a phenomenal finisher, really hoping he can get back to that standard but also get himself into shooting positions more frequently.

Idxomer

Its almost as if he's a winger and not a natural striker
He has always been more of a striker than a winger and I think that had been the case since his Monaco days if I'm not wrong @JPRouve.

The problem is United had no interest in developing him in that position after 2016.

JPRouve

Scout
He has always been more of a striker than a winger and I think that had been the case since his Monaco days if I'm not wrong @JPRouve.

The problem is United had no interest in developing him in that position after 2016.
Yes. He has always been a striker, he was developed as a striker at Lyon and was still a striker at Monaco. He has never been a winger or played regularly on the wing until he joined United.

Edit: Martial shares the same core traits that Lyon strikers have had since the mid 2000s. They are more playmakers than pure goalscorers and they can all play wide but it's not their place.

Marwood

Its been a while since we could say his finishing was good.

There was a time yeah but its at least two years ago now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
PHEW. Don't want Martial at the WC whatsoever. He needs proper rehab to get over the niggling injuries.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Strange call. If Benzema is out for 3 weeks you'd have thought the rational move was get in a replacement and Martial is certainly not suffering from being overplayed like so many players.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Feel sorry for him, hope he uses this time off to get to speed with match fitness, we'll need him more than ever.

JPRouve

Scout
So they would rather have nobody than Martial? Pretty awful decision from Deschamps.
He doesn't like extended teams because he thinks that it's not good for the players that end up continuously in the stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.