5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief123

This season and for France absolutely. The team has simply been far better with Giroud and he is in excellent form with Milan.
Obviously I don’t follow French football as much as you but I agree giroud is always reliable for France, but logic just tells me Benzema would be such a perfect fit. Especially his ability to link up with others. It just feels a front 3 of Mbappe Benzema and Dembele would be such a nice and fluid fit.

phelans shorts

This season and for France absolutely. The team has simply been far better with Giroud and he is in excellent form with Milan.
Wasn’t Giroud expected to miss out on the squad a month ago? He does work a lot better with France whenever I’ve seen them but I was under the impression Deschamps wasn’t fancying him until very recently

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Obviously I don’t follow French football as much as you but I agree giroud is always reliable for France, but logic just tells me Benzema would be such a perfect fit. Especially his ability to link up with others. It just feels a front 3 of Mbappe Benzema and Dembele would be such a nice and fluid fit.
Benzema isn't a perfect fit and has never been. He is the better player but a worse fit, France have generally been more fluid with Giroud than Benzema.

Chief123

Benzema isn't a perfect fit and has never been. He is the better player but a worse fit, France have generally been more fluid with Giroud than Benzema.
Fair enough.

Whats the feeling regarding midfield? Although stacked with talent I can’t really see a like for like replacement for Pogba. Not his style anyway.

JPRouve

Scout
Fair enough.

Whats the feeling regarding midfield? Although stacked with talent I can’t really see a like for like replacement for Pogba. Not his style anyway.
There are no feelings, it's a fairly young team and no one has a clue about how they will perform.

JPRouve

Scout
Wasn’t Giroud expected to miss out on the squad a month ago? He does work a lot better with France whenever I’ve seen them but I was under the impression Deschamps wasn’t fancying him until very recently
No. He was expected to miss before the season start but between his performances in club and for France, it would have been extremely strange to not select him.

phelans shorts

No. He was expected to miss before the season start but between his performances in club and for France, it would have been extremely strange to not select him.
It would have been strange to not take him, but this is a manager who’s just lost a striker and not replaced him, working under an authority that tolerated Raymond Domenech picking squads based on star signs for 6 years. Extremely strange is something that French football does better than just about anyone.

JPRouve

Scout
It would have been strange to not take him, but this is a manager who’s just lost a striker and not replaced him, working under an authority that tolerated Raymond Domenech picking squads based on star signs for 6 years. Extremely strange is something that French football does better than just about anyone.
There is no reason to add a striker, there is currently 7 actual attackers for 4 spots, 4 of them generally play as a strikers. Then there is Rabiot and Camavinga that are supposed to the left side options in Deschamps's asymetric midfield. France had too much attackers in the first place.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Giroud probably finishes this WC as Frances’s all time top scorer, which is seriously impressive.

I also think Benz not making the side is a blessing in disguise — Grizou and Giroud are two of France’s best attackers over the past 5-6 seasons so it saves Deschamps a headache of forcing in Benzema who is a far better domestic but not as good international player

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Giroud probably finishes this WC as Frances’s all time top scorer, which is seriously impressive.

I also think Benz not making the side is a blessing in disguise — Grizou and Giroud are two of France’s best attackers over the past 5-6 seasons so it saves Deschamps a headache of forcing in Benzema who is a far better domestic but not as good international player
Did you not watch Benzema during the Euros?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Benzema was good individually but France were poor collectively in the last third.
Yes, I was responding to the poster who said he was not good internationally but he was out of the team for a while and when he was back, did his job.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He was poor last season, and injured this season. He was never deserve to be in the squad so it makes sense why Deschamps didn’t take him. Although, I like this decision as it can motivate Martial to do better and Martial can build up his fitness to be ready for us when the season resumes.

JPRouve

Scout
Deschamps is this you? Girourd over Benzema. :lol:
Do you think players should be picked based on name or the team performances with them?

Also Deschamps would have picked Benzema, so no I'm not Deschamps and it's a point where I would have disagreed with him.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Last time Giroud played a World cup he didn't score a single goal. Preferring him over a ballon d'or level player is asinine. :lol:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
It's Deschamps responsibility to make it work with his best players. It's not like Benzema isn't known as a team player who would impede a team from functioning well.

If Deschamps can't make it work with Benzema than that's an indictment on his ability to get the best out of his best players.

JPRouve

Scout
It's Deschamps responsibility to make it work with his best players. It's not like Benzema isn't known as a team player who would impede a team from functioning well.

If Deschamps can't make it work with Benzema than that's an indictment on his ability to get the best out of his best players.
Not all combination of players work and we are talking about a player that has been prolific for France, more prolific than Benzema. The best team isn't necessarily made of the best 11 individual players, that's not how football work, especially at international leve.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Not all combination of players work and we are talking about a player that has been prolific for France, more prolific than Benzema. The best team isn't necessarily made of the best 11 individual players, that's not how football work, especially at international leve.
But we're also talking about Benzema here, one of the most team friendly player. Failing to make it work with a player like that in a team sport is an indictment on the coach.

JPRouve

Scout
But we're also talking about Benzema here, one of the most team friendly player. Failing to make it work with a player like that in a team sport is an indictment on the coach.
Not really because you are not talking about club football, you are not talking about a situation where the coach has time to coach and tweak things over time. International managers don't have that luxury and have to rely heavily on pre existing automatism between players and natural fit.

If we were talking about a club, I would pick Benzema 100% of the time but we are not.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Did you not watch Benzema during the Euros?
That’s probably the only time Benz has ever replicated his domestic form for the NT, actually. But like JP says it was a great individual performance but a poor collective team one. France just look better, generally speaking, without him. And I say this as one of Big Body Benz’s biggest fans on this forum

Josh 76

These type of things happen all the time. It use to be much worse back in the good old days. Football is so magnified these days, It’s fecking horrible!!

lenny_1248

Dan Gore was just trying to fast track his friend Charlie McNeil to the starting 11. :lol:

RuudTom83

Dan Gore must have posters of Phil Jones on his bedroom wall.

Not the best idea to be testing Martial's ankles...but we all know these bust ups happen often and 5 minutes later it will be forgotten about.

Last edited:

LoneStar

Really hate that such nothing stories are making their way to the press. Almost feels like people watch football and F1 more for the drama than the sports. At least that's what the media seems to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.