g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Anthony Martial image 9

Anthony Martial France flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
A good pre-season doesn't change the fact that he's a very average footballer but in a context where we may have to deal with Ronaldo leaving it's something at least.
What a load of tosh. In what world is martial an average footballer.

Idxomer

While I'm not fully on board with the possibility of him getting back to his 19/20 level, I'm more hopeful now after realizing this is his 1st pre-season in 3 years.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If Ten Hag can get something out of Haller then he should be able to improve Martial hopefully.

Looks good so far.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He is sucking me in again.

Regardless of anything I do believe Rashford and Sancho will play better if we play with him up front than they will with Ronaldo.
Don't forget Bruno as well. Ronaldo on the pitch and he goes into hero ball mode and tunnel vision for Ronaldo. Ronaldo ends up being a vacuum for all attacks. Worked when he was as good as he was, not so much anymore (he'll still score plenty, but to the detriment of the team play).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What a load of tosh. In what world is martial an average football.
In a world where you judge players by their performances rather than whatever innate talent they have.

His United career has been that of a relatively mediocre player. The fact that he has the skillset to be a better-than-average player doesn't stop him being an average player.

He is what he is, no matter how much people want to believe in him suddenly delivering on whatever talent they think he has.

Real Name

In a world where you judge players by their performances rather than whatever innate talent they have.

His United career has been that of a relatively mediocre player. The fact that he has the skillset to be a better-than-average player doesn't stop him being an average player. He is what he is.
Whats your opinion on Martial?

TrustInJanuzaj

His United career has been that of a relatively mediocre player. The fact that he has the skillset to be a better-than-average player doesn't stop him being an average player. He is what he is.
Good for you.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Of course. But wanna bet that Ronaldo will get no9 position as soon as he comes back?
Don't know man, I want to believe Martial will get chances based on how he is playing. Hopefully EtH is strong with with his selection.

crossy1686

career ending
I'd still take Dybala for free to provide cover if things won't be so peachy, but I still think there's a chance brewing for Martial as he was quite decent on the ball today and vs Pool.
I have very little confidence in Martial doing anything more than average this season but Dybala is absolutely nailed on to fail on Sanchez proportions if we sign him. Not the kind of player we should even be entertaining the idea of signing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Should be getting the nod over Ronaldo initially cause at least he was actually arsed enough to turn up for pre-season, that's not even taking into account his promising performances.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I have very little confidence in Martial doing anything more than average this season but Dybala is absolutely nailed on to fail on Sanchez proportions if we sign him. Not the kind of player we should even be entertaining the idea of signing.
Disagree. Would absolutely be worth a punt at the type of numbers that's been reported.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not many strikers options on the market tbh... just sayin.

Idxomer

It's almost impossible to fail on Sanchez proportion, United lost a staggering amount of money on him after 18 months of abysmal displays.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

His United career has been that of a relatively mediocre player. The fact that he has the skillset to be a better-than-average player doesn't stop him being an average player.

He is what he is, no matter how much people want to believe in him suddenly delivering on whatever talent they think he has.
He's an average player who still has the capability to make the step up. Wouldn't be the first time a player eventually stepped up once they were used properly or a certain manager figuring them out. Or wouldn't be the first time a players fitness got sorted out in their mid to late 20's. He obviously has the talent, it's why people haven't fully given up on him. He has the capability to be a top player, and it's ok to dream a bit. The situation is lining up where he gets his chance, and so far, he is taking it.

TrustInJanuzaj

I still can't help but just love him as a player. Techincally he's just so smooth in possession. Would love nothing more than a massive season from him.

TrustInJanuzaj

a top player is consistently very good; in what world is martial consistent let alone even good consistently. He scored against MV
Very few players have flourished at Utd the last decade. Utd have let down players some of which have been very good. If Martial gets his head screwed on now, he will have a real chance under a proper manager for a change.

NotQuiteManc

His reaction to the question says it all, there's no doubt in his mind that Martial will be an important player for us this season.
Probably the best possible answer he could give. Pat Martial on his back/arms around shoulders type of comments but at the same time trying to motivate him to go even further but it will be all up to Martial if he is willing to take the chances or not.

We shall see though as it is not the first time to see this kind of positivity when talking about 9AM.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The likes of ten Hag and Van Gaal are the type of managers that Martial needs. They are direct and on the players, some people struggle with it(Di Maria) and others appreciate it. It's something that Martial himself mentioned years ago when talking about Jardim, Deschamps and Van Gaal.

Of course he could fail but it will be on him and no one else.

Member 101269

Very few players have flourished at Utd the last decade. Utd have let down players some of which have been very good. If Martial gets his head screwed on now, he will have a real chance under a proper manager for a change.
Behave; he even went out on loan and didn't perform. He doesn't have the mentality for United.

Canagel

This is actually a terrible take. He is only 3 goals behind Cantona's total of 82 goals for the club and is our 16th highest scorer of all time which is a very respectable position considering he has played in one of our weakest eras. And with assists I think he is averaging something close to 1 G/A per 2 games. He hasn't reached the heights that were expected when we bought him but to say he has had a mediocre career here is ridiculous.

TrustInJanuzaj

Behave; he even went out on loan and didn't perform. He doesn't have the mentality for United.
Perhaps not. Its undoubtedly his final chance but I'm willing to give a blank slate to many of these players under a better manager. If they can't cut it under EtH then ship them out.

BoulderDevil

I think more people need to look at it the other way around from a young players perspective. This club has done a disservice to all of the young talent we have had since the departure of SAF. Ask yourself what kind of player could have thrived in this situation? Who has thrived in this situation? This club hasn’t had the right management and structure to to develop players with undoubted talent (martial). Not the other way around

Member 101269

Perhaps not. Its undoubtedly his final chance but I'm willing to give a blank slate to many of these players under a better manager. If they can't cut it under EtH then ship them out.
It's not helpful comparing Martial with an elusive them.

Raven

His reaction to the question says it all, there's no doubt in his mind that Martial will be an important player for us this season.
:drool:

If ETH can make him better than he was a couple of seasons back he could be a massive boost for us.

acnumber9

This is actually a terrible take. He is only 3 goals behind Cantona's total of 82 goals for the club and is our 16th highest scorer of all time which is a very respectable position considering he has played in one of our weakest eras. And with assists I think he is averaging something close to 1 G/A per 2 games. He hasn't reached the heights that were expected when we bought him but to say he has had a mediocre career here is ridiculous.
Presumably you seen that on Transfermarkt? It’s not right. Tommy Taylor is nowhere to be seen and Bobby Charlton’s goal tally is about 100 out. Bryan Robson nowhere to be seen as well.

Last edited:

Art

Art the artist
An inform Martial plays has better chemistry with Bruno, Rashford and Sancho. I don’t think you can say the same about Ronaldo where things need to go thru him all the time . And just for that reason, I hope Martial comes good.

TrustInJanuzaj

It's not helpful comparing Martial with an elusive them.
It is when everyone underperformed last season. If we give up on Martial then we might as well throw away Rashford, Shaw, Bruno etc too. Martial is a supreme talent and while I still have doubts over his mentality, if EtH fancies him then why not give him the chance?

Chief123

This is the season.
If Martial is ever to reach his potential, this is the season. Well, the most important season in his career. It's the first time he has a manager that has tactical nous and very detailed, clear instructions and isn't here to make the show about himself and dig out his own players.

If Martial doesn't succeed under a methodical manager like ETH, then he's done.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Martial isn't our 16th highest goalscorer of all time.

What he is is a striker who has been at Manchester United for seven full seasons and has managed to return a decent total goal tally as a result. But unfortunately for him his inconsistency, his often evident lack of work rate and his often seeming lack of interest also count towards the assesment of him as footballer.

All of which leaves you with a player who is (at the level we're talking about) distinctly mediocre. We're not talking about a player who would get into other top sides or would be particularly missed if he left. Rather we're talking about a player who was bombed out on loan to Sevilla mid-season in his supposed peak years to little complaint from the fanbase. That's the player he is.

The "flop" label that sometimes gets affixed to him by the newspapers is overly harsh but his Manchester United career has been distinctly average.

Status
Not open for further replies.