5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pickle85

He’ll be warming the bench for a good share of the season .
Ronaldo won’t be dropped
Quite rightly too.

I guess all that can be said at the moment is that he had a good game. It seems harsh to come on here and dump on him after that but I've kind of written him off based on the last few seasons. Would love to be proven wrong as on song (that season and a half) he was often a joy to watch but I just don't think he's got it in him any more.

Real Name

Hopefully he'll understand this is the last train for him to get the career on track. He has tools, he has a talent, he just needs to put his head into it finally.

Redcy

Hopefully he'll understand this is the last train for him to get the career on track. He has tools, he has a talent, he just needs to put his head into it finally.
trouble is he used to have the tools, we haven’t seen those toolsin a long time. I can’t remember when we last saw him fly at speed, or dribble with quick feet?

Real Name

trouble is he used to have the tools, we haven’t seen those toolsin a long time. I can’t remember when we last saw him fly at speed, or dribble with quick feet?
Maybe he'll adapt his game or something. Or with ETH will kick on and find those tools again. We'll see.

Redcy

All touches vs Liverpool

Real Name

All touches vs Liverpool
This is a great video not only cause of Martial but to see our overall play. He kept it simple and efficient throughout the game, no dilly dallying on the ball, one touch football, 2 touches at most. Pass and go forward or open yourself for a pass.

Redcy

This is a great video not only cause of Martial but to see our overall play. He kept it simple and efficient throughout the game, no dilly dallying on the ball, one touch football, 2 touches at most. Pass and go forward or open yourself for a pass.
I like your positivity tbh. To me looked one paced, looked v average, his touches were on and off. Even his goal there was no acceleration which surprised me. Let’s hope he finds something, as he is painful to watch if he is as poor as he has been. At least this game was some kind of positive

Real Name

I like your positivity tbh. To me looked one paced, looked v average, his touches were on and off. Even his goal there was no acceleration which surprised me. Let’s hope he finds something, as he is painful to watch if he is as poor as he has been. At least this game was some kind of positive
Well it is preseason so regarding touches its to be expected. Maybe I'm seeing what I want to see but if anything he looked well up for it and not his usual moping around self.

Trex

I know he'll turn up in a possession based set up. Him and Sancho would look top notch this year.
Expect his lockdown form if he stays fit, Ronaldo the only hindrance.

Olecurls99

He took the ball off a Liverpool player about 5 times in that little clip. That would indicate a change of pace

jamesjimmybyrondean

Martial always thrived when the team played one touch football. But last season he just looked very unfit, he lost pace and was heavier and rigid in his movement. The last game did show that hes recovering some of it back but in very cautious in jumping to conclusion

sherrinford

He certainly accelerated away from the defender when he scored. Straight for goal, nice and direct.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I just love how the football gets stuck to him like he was made by glue.

Its just something I really enjoying watching.

EtH

I just love how the football gets stuck to him like he was made by glue.

Its just something I really enjoying watching.
That one where he seemed to take it with his midriff on the turn was Berbesque.

WirralRed

I had totally written him off to be honest, but looking at the strikers available on the market I’m slowly coming around to the idea that with some good coaching, bit of motivation and a team having some forum of identity he can come good again this season.

Jev

Didn't watch the game but if that video really shows all of his touches, then his touch was not on and off. Apart from the dribble that didn't come off at the end he literally handles the ball perfectly every single time. Great acceleration for the goal, to keep a defender away like that while carrying the ball requires a great burst of pace.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Martial always thrived when the team played one touch football. But last season he just looked very unfit, he lost pace and was heavier and rigid in his movement. The last game did show that hes recovering some of it back but in very cautious in jumping to conclusion
Yeah I really like Martial when we’re playing flowing football, I much prefer someone like him that’s always looking for the deft lay-offs to bring others forward instead of just passing it back and killing any momentum because the striker can’t see any other option (Ronaldo’s default), but I have very little hope for Martial at this point. His physique is so different.

Hackman2210

Fresh start for Martial - new coaching setup. The Manchester rain will be like a baptism on his chest. He’s born again.

Hawks2008

Truly dislike him but if we have to rely on Martial after Ronaldo goes I hope he's up to it.

Lynty

Terrible couple of seasons. But i'm confident he'll get us enough goals to be an option (an expensive option) off the bench at the very least. Luis Saha sort of role in the squad.

Who knows, maybe Ten Hag can unlock the 20+ goal Martial that looked utter class for a season.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I really believed in him but after his 20/21 season and then again after 21/22, everything has deserted him - his movement and mentality was always a problem and remains one, but he also lost all his strengths - pace, dribbling/tight control at speed, sharp link-up, confident finishing. He has been a total non-entity.
Don't think a single friendly means anything at all - even in these dreadful seasons he had the odd game where he looked like a footballer. I remember as a #9 away at City he played very well. But then disappeared into nothingness again.

Chief123

There’s been plenty of times to be critical of Martial but the Liverpool game certainly isn’t one. It’s a strange example to choose. He was excellent all 45 mins he played. Especially his off the ball work. He’s pressing and high intensity in the humid heat of Thailand. We couldn’t even get him to do that in comfortable temperatures!

Redcy

There’s been plenty of times to be critical of Martial but the Liverpool game certainly isn’t one. It’s a strange example to choose. He was excellent all 45 mins he played. Especially his off the ball work. He’s pressing and high intensity in the humid heat of Thailand. We couldn’t even get him to do that in comfortable temperatures!
not really, yes he played ok for 45 minutes, he certainly wasn't good and remember he was up against two terrible defenders. His goal definitely did not show any acceleration at all, nor any real pace, yes he carried the ball well holding off the defender, but there was no burst of pace there to take him past the defender, in fact the fact he had to hold off the defender shows he didn't have the pace or acceleration to beat them. Great finish, some half decent touches, but given that was all his touches I am not buying this is the great Martial comeback the whole of Youtube and Red Cafe are talking about. In fact as someone has said it reminds me a lot of the game against City.

Redcy

Worse still about that article is that United now believe we don't have to invest in attack as Martial is making a comeback this year, after one average performance against a poor Liverpool reserves team. Martial FC is one of the most bizzare things about united fans, he had one good season in five and our fans seem to adore him.

Redcy

Didn't watch the game but if that video really shows all of his touches, then his touch was not on and off. Apart from the dribble that didn't come off at the end he literally handles the ball perfectly every single time. Great acceleration for the goal, to keep a defender away like that while carrying the ball requires a great burst of pace.
Go re watch that goal, there is no acceleration away at all, in fact he slows up on his second touch. The defender was catching him all the way, Martial has a 3 yard start on him and the defender catches him quickly. Lets hope he does well, because the Glazers have seen this as a chance to not invest in our forward line.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
This is the season Martial will finally win his Ballon D’or.

Mr PG

Last season’s loan may have humbled him enough to realize he was the problem not the club. He’s always had the talent but no application. A new start means last chance saloon for their career’s as well.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I actually fancy him to do well again. I’m sure he’s glad to be back at Utd with a clean slate and a few years left on a great deal after such a poor spell. Good players coming in, good coaches. Ronaldo half way out the door….

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
His biggest problem was (i hope it is not the case anymore) his mentality. When he knows that he is first 11 player he plays well and is fired up.
As soon as he goes to bench, his head is gone.

Teja

Martial FC reporting for duty.

I predict he'll displace Rashford at LW in a few weeks.

Pronewbie

Peep

Him and Ronnie dovetailing and interchanging on the left and through the middle is deadly. Hopefully ETH's system will enable them to be effective when defending. Rashford, if he gets back to his previous form, is a good player to come off the bench. We do need at least 1 more high-quality forward with the new 5-sub rule.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

His movement and game is more suited for CF position. He barely makes outside runs when played as LW. His hold up play and ability to link up with Bruno means he should play as CF.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
In the 1st half against Liverpool, I thought our front 3 were pretty fluid and interchangeable.
Yeah, Rashford and Sancho switched wings, also Rashford moved to central position with Bruno moving to wide right. It was good to see players taking different positions and we had other player taking up vacated position.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
ETH's style fits him better. His main problem as it has always been is his motivation. You can be as good as peak Messi but when you do your job half arsedly it wont be good enough at this level. This issue was apparent from his Monaco days, they called him lazy. We thought he would stop once he joined a big club, didnt happen. Now whatever kind of magic ETH is preparing for Martial, I just hope it works and motivates him all the time

Glorio

Worse still about that article is that United now believe we don't have to invest in attack as Martial is making a comeback this year, after one average performance against a poor Liverpool reserves team. Martial FC is one of the most bizzare things about united fans, he had one good season in five and our fans seem to adore him.
Not sure many adore him these days. A few of us did years ago when he was actually a good player, now I reckon most are pensively hopeful that he rediscovers something. That's purely because of the lack of decent options to go for (seriously, where did all the strikers go?). We basically need this to work.

Our best case scenario is ETH works some miracle on him and he actually becomes a player worth whichever adulation he receives, what's wrong with hoping (not expecting) for that?

And even if Martial suddenly morphed into prime R9, we ideally still need another striker as Ronaldo is 38 and could be out the door anyway, plus players lose form, pick up injuries, etc. As I said before, just not sure who we'll find that would make me excited for the season.

Member 101269

If looking better against that Liverpool starting line-up is justification for ignoring the last years of useless play and starting him in games ahead of getting someone in, we're probably in trouble.

Teja

His movement and game is more suited for CF position. He barely makes outside runs when played as LW. His hold up play and ability to link up with Bruno means he should play as CF.
Yeah I agree but he's not playing CF if Ronaldo's around so not a lot we can do there.

He did well in that Mahrez type role for us when he first came in. Hug the touch line and wait for the ball and take his fullback on 1v1. I think Sancho was asked to do that against Pool but IMO he's pretty ineffective at actually beating a guy 1v1.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If looking better against that Liverpool starting line-up is justification for ignoring the last years of useless play and starting him in games ahead of getting someone in, we're probably in trouble.
Can say the same for the whole team.

Status
Not open for further replies.