Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Leave him out of the Palace match and back in for Arsenal as we'll need his link up yet again. Hopefully now with Weghorst in they can alternate and Martial doesn't need to play more than 1 game a week.

Stadjer

I just don't understand some of the comments on here. People complain about his lack of intensity and hunger and then they complain about how injury-prone he is. Would playing when not fully fit not indicate that he does have the will to play? Surely, if he had have said he was injured and unable to play before the game, we would have the same people criticising him on the basis that he's too soft/doesn't want it enough.

Also, another thing that annoys me is that a lot of people must think that runnign around maniacally constitutes good pressing. No, it absolutely doesn't. Pressing is first and foremost about closing down angles and blocking off passing options; when you block off passing options, there isn't really anywhere to go for the opposition. Better a low-intensity press with good angles (Like Martial's was today) than a full-out but incoherent press (Like Bruno was doing at times in the first half on the RW and like Daniel James used to). Just because someone isn't running around like their backside is on fire doesn't mean that they aren't pressing effectively. City really struggled at times to progress play in the first-half and most of their successful attacks in that period (Not many, it has to be said) came down either wind, not down the centre. Martial may not press like a madman (He was injured in his defence) but he did by and large do his job. From the 45-70 minute mark, City did a low better of a job at progressing play centrally; I don't think this is any coincidence.

Plus there were four or five times in the first half where some good hold-up play from Martial set up attacks. Nothing ultimately came of them but that wasn't his fault. Besides, we had pretty much no attacks from the 45-70 minute mark and City's just kept on winning possesio, at least Martial was at times putting them on the back foot.

This is not to say that Martial is great or that we shouldn't replace him. Ideally, we would bring in someone like Osimhen or Goncalo Ramos in the summer and have Martial as our #2. But some of the comments on here are crazy. Martial was ok today on the whole, not great, not woeful, just ok. No need to go overboard just because you hate him as a player.
Excellent post that unfortunately will be drowned by lazy one sentence posts calling him lazy and shit.

Marwood

We all know his body is more fragile than normal, why are we acting all surprised all of sudden ? We should all trust the manager, he showed ruthlessness towards players. If Martial isn't doing his best, he would simply not play
ETH can only drop a player if there's a replacement.

Let's see, now there is a replacement in Wout, if ETH still backs Martial to start.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He’s such an important part of our attack without scoring all the time it’s such a shame his fitness won’t ever be good enough. Because a fully fit Martial without injury problems is a special player but reality is he’s just never going to be that player.

RuudtheRed

I felt he played reasonably well considering that he was probably nursing an injury. His hold up play and ability to link up with the rest of the forward line was one of the reasons we posed a threat in the first half. Hopefully with Weghorst we have a more than able replacement when he's injured.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
OK, so you think he didn't start playing bad when we signed Ibra, Cavani and Ronaldo? There's a trend for sure, you might be right and this time is different.
He had a poor season when we first signed Ibra. On the one hand we signed Ibra, and a lot of people blame that for it. On the other, he was moved to a new position, under a manager who blatantly didn't like him, and was having issues in his personal life with a very public break-up with the mother of his child. All at the age of 21. I tend to think maybe those might have had a bigger impact.

I'm not sure if I'd class Cavani as competition. Martial was clearly first choice with Cavani only being a back-up squad player. Martial just played like shit. Maybe you're right and it was due to Cavani being in the squad, but personally I doubt it. It was just him being in shit form, which continued the following season.

On the flip side, he had plenty of competition in 17/18 and 18/19, and yet (despite Mourinho obviously preferring other options) he ended up being our best performing in his position those seasons. He also started this season well despite Ronaldo still being in the squad.

Strelok

He’s such an important part of our attack without scoring all the time it’s such a shame his fitness won’t ever be good enough. Because a fully fit Martial without injury problems is a special player but reality is he’s just never going to be that player.
Tbh I wrote off Rashford because I thought his body was finished due to too many injuries. Lesson learned is you'll never know.

However if he doesn't improve his fitness and availability in the next months he'll be replaced in the summer I think. Probably his last chance here. I don't think that ETH would accept his main #9 to not available the majority of time. Big shame if he has to leave because I do rate Martial. Still remember his first season here when there's so much hope for him. Golden boy of the year if my memory serves me right.

edcunited1878

He trained once this week and aimed to be available for this match. He wasn't going to last long.

Once he came off at half, United struggled to adjust and only responded after City scored.

His fitness has gone to shit, but he has a lot of importance and influence on the team whenever he plays.

NoPace

He trained once this week and aimed to be available for this match. He wasn't going to last long.

Once he came off at half, United struggled to adjust and only responded after City scored.

His fitness has gone to shit, but he has a lot of importance and influence on the team whenever he plays.
Yeah, he obviously wasn't fit.

He's quite a flawed player, but he fits the system here and is the only #9 we have. We need to upgrade, but then he's a very good option as 2nd striker, though would have to deal with Garnacho coming on instead of him and Rashford up top sometimes. If he can live with that role, he's a very good fit here.

Lyng

Tbh I wrote off Rashford because I thought his body was finished due to too many injuries. Lesson learned is you'll never know.

However if he doesn't improve his fitness and availability in the next months he'll be replaced in the summer I think. Probably his last chance here. I don't think that ETH would accept his main #9 to not available the majority of time. Big shame if he has to leave because I do rate Martial. Still remember his first season here when there's so much hope for him. Golden boy of the year if my memory serves me right.
Our composure and shape in offense went to shit after he went of. Eriksen went from one of our best in the first half to one of our worst after Martial went of.
Martial does the correct runs and is excellent in link up. You often saw him and Eriksen linking up well.
Thankfully Wout is very good at linking up as well. Should help us to not lose shape when Martial is off.

zenith

It's only a matter of this season before we get a new no. 9 who is hopefully constantly fit and that should put martial as a second choice. Don't see the need to hyperventilate over his fitness and form anymore. It's well established that he's very useful but very unreliable striker

UnitedRepublic

He will be here next season maybe not as first choice but he’ll get a lot of games together with the new striker probably as a second striker/cam because thats the role he plays today while also being the striker. Watch us buying a midfielder and thats what will happen. He is a very good passer he is breaking lines with his passing.

Greck

The 45-70th minute at least showed just how big a difference hold up play made in that game. The notion that it was bringing nothing to our dynamic was disappointing to read. The obsession with running in behind, running to the far post, etc feels outdated. His eventual replacement most likely won't be a pure scorer either.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Stuff like this is basically what he provides to us that nobody else does for us, where it's worth having him in. He does it multiple times per games and it's an invaluable quality. Whoever we sign up top, needs someone else who can do things like this.

SAF is the GOAT

I really don't know what we're going to do with him in the summer.

We still need to replace Cristiano with a permanent striker and can't also replace him in the same summer especially when we have more priority positions.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Stuff like this is basically what he provides to us that nobody else does for us, where it's worth having him in. He does it multiple times per games and it's an invaluable quality. Whoever we sign up top, needs someone else who can do things like this.
agreed he’s such a great link up man and was a big part of oles success here at united.

I wish he could stay fit but he just can’t manage playing 2/3 times a week

Stadjer

About that exact moment i was told ‘that is his job’ by another poster as if any striker will consistently link up play like that. Martial is fairly consistent good at link up. In that situation most players would lose the ball and allow City to put a new attack in. Basically what was happening after Martial had to come off.

Ofcourse that post came from a poster who already had two negative comments about Martial his game within 5 minutes of the game starting.

Martial his problem is fitness. Not a lack of talent or some imagined lazyness. Finding a striker with a better fitness record than Martial is easy. Finding one who is fit and can also do the stuff Martial is able to do wont be easy or cheap.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
About that exact moment i was told ‘that is his job’ by another poster as if any striker will consistently link up play like that. Martial is fairly consistent good at link up. In that situation most players would lose the ball and allow City to put a new attack in. Basically what was happening after Martial had to come off.

Ofcourse that post came from a poster who already had two negative comments about Martial his game within 5 minutes of the game starting.

Martial his problem is fitness. Not a lack of talent or some imagined lazyness. Finding a striker with a better fitness record than Martial is easy. Finding one who is fit and can also do the stuff Martial is able to do wont be easy or cheap.
Yep. I don't think Martial is ultimately good enough for us to reach the highest level even if his injury problems disappeared, but I do think we'd be able to challenge for the title if he had 0 fitness issues. As it is, far too often he has games where he is hampered by some injury and literally can't stretch into a proper sprint, can't move like he should, etc. He is getting constant knocks which is a shame.

poleglass red

when he went off at half time, we really lost our rhythm, City did up their game but we looked disjointed until we moved Antony out wide, when we brought Garnacho on. Martial isn't particularly playing well in that he poses a goal threat but his link up play is good.Hopefully now we have brought in a genuine striker, we have adequate cover now.

Suedesi

He's fundamental to our play. You could see the difference in the second half when we couldn't hold on to the ball for the first 20-25 minutes. He's great at receiving balls fired at him, is able to turn and with his first touch put the ball into space and put the defense on the back foot. It's such an underrated skill

dutchred

He's fundamental to our play. You could see the difference in the second half when we couldn't hold on to the ball for the first 20-25 minutes. He's great at receiving balls fired at him, is able to turn and with his first touch put the ball into space and put the defense on the back foot. It's such an underrated skill
Agree completely.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Yep. But then as the move continues, you see one of his weaknesses.

Greck

Yep. But then as the move continues, you see one of his weaknesses.

The description that he doesn't do enough can be true but using this particular example is silly and makes it obvious how there are still people that don't know a central forward can do more than running to the far post or prioritizing immediate scoring positions. In that clip he's taking positions to facilitate play not score, it's not laziness. I'm certain there were actual plays in that game where he was lazy but they had to go use the one where he's trying to support by facilitating.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The description that he doesn't do enough can be true but using this particular example is silly and makes it obvious how there are still people that don't know a central forward can do more than running to the far post or prioritizing immediate scoring positions. In that clip he's taking positions to facilitate play not score, it's not laziness. I'm sure there are actual plays he was lazy but they had to go use the one where he's doing his job decent.
I'm not saying it's lazy, I'm saying it's poor off the ball movement. He should clearly be attacking their back line in that position rather than passively standing back to "facilitate". And the failure to make that sort of aggressive off the ball movement is a consistent issue for Martial, being both one of the reasons he isn't a top class CF and one of the reasons we so regularly lack presence in the box.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Not exactly the same situation but the difference in off the ball movement is glaring.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm not saying it's lazy, I'm saying it's poor off the ball movement. He should clearly be attacking their back line in that position rather than passively standing back to "facilitate". And the failure to make that sort of aggressive off the ball movement is a consistent issue for Martial, being both one of the reasons he isn't a top class CF and one of the reasons we so regularly lack presence in the box.
No he shouldn't attack their back line because two of his teammates are already doing it. The better decision for him was to offer a different option to the ball carrier which is what he did.

edcunited1878

Not exactly the same situation but the difference in off the ball movement is glaring.
Still very different in that Osimhen was the tip of the spear in that attack and the left forward or winger didn't run into the box to initiate. Osimhen was free to do so as the only option.

The example of Martial was poor, because Marcus squared the ball, albeit a little too late, and continued his run into the box to occupy the space and drive the backline lower. If Martial did that, then the defenders would have dropped lower and Marcus would have had to stop or go backwards.

Actually thought Martial could have taken a touch for a shot as Marcus's run causes the defenders to drop.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No he shouldn't attack their back line because two of his teammates are already doing it. The better decision for him was to offer a different option to the ball carrier which is what he did.

If you don't think that a) one of of our players should be attacking that massive attackable space in front of Martial and b) Martial is the obvious one to do it, then I don't know what to tell ya.

Aside from obviously being the most threatening movement he can make, making that run and occupying those defenders would also leave a lot of space for Fred who is running in right behind him.

AndyMUFC

Did miss him big time when he went off though at the weekend which is also due to having no proper striker to bring on. The man just can’t stay fit though.

Womp

idiot
My thing with him is he just seems to have lost the one aspect of his game that he excelled at. His movements and dribbling just looks a lot more laboured than it has in the past. He was rapid quick and agile when he first got here and you could bet your house on him being able to dribble past anyone. He seems incapable of doing so, or at least at a somewhat consistent level anymore.

He offers good link-up play, but so would another proper CF, if that's the style of CF we were looking for. I just don't think he's the answer moving forward.

Nicolarra90

If you don't think that a) one of of our players should be attacking that massive attackable space in front of Martial and b) Martial is the obvious one to do it, then I don't know what to tell ya.

Aside from obviously being the most threatening movement he can make, making that run and occupying those defenders would also leave a lot of space for Fred who is running in right behind him.
At first didn't see anything wrong in the play, but comparing it to osimhen made it quite obvious. You have a good point there.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

to be fair Martial was half injured in this game, so probably why he isn’t actually running much. He usually presses a fair amount but you could see he was laboured in all his movements.

Djemba-Djemba

This thread is groundhog day and has been for years.
Aye.

He's been here for what? 7 and a half years? He's had chance after chance to really establish himself here and he never steps up. His fitness record is appalling these days too and I don't think it'll get better as he gets older.

I'd be starting Weghorst on Wednesday.

Greck

Aye.

He's been here for what? 7 and a half years? He's had chance after chance to really establish himself here and he never steps up. His fitness record is appalling these days too and I don't think it'll get better as he gets older.

I'd be starting Weghorst on Wednesday.
There's like 3-4 different points in here that aren't even getting contested. I can assure you most people already know it's a utility player not a star. People want an avalanche of "sell. not good enough". If no one is against an upgrade what even is there to fight about? We've even replaced him like 5 times already.

Status
Not open for further replies.