5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFMUTD

He's the weak link in the chain, but we looked worse when he went out. Antony clearly didnt fit the number 9 position. We need to upgrade on him (Martial) asap.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
OK, so you think he didn't start playing bad when we signed Ibra, Cavani and Ronaldo? There's a trend for sure, you might be right and this time is different.
Playing badly doesn't mean having a bad attitude. ETH is ruthless, if Martial was truly problematique on that front, he simply wouldn't play him. We should just trust our manager at this point

Irwin99

How much longer does he have on his contract? I heard he 'did a decent enough job' before he was subbed at half time.

RedIan

This guy is far to injury prone. He clearly wasnt 100% fit today. Hes had enough chances. Sell in summer and upgrade.

lex talionis

Unless we can find a buyer for 10m we’ll just have to hold onto him until his contract runs down.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Did very well in the first half. Hopefully he'll be free from discomfort and firing again, because he plays that striker roll pretty well at times. Not the 60m player we thought we had, but he is certainly worth something right, until the season ends, even with that disappointment.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
I just don't understand some of the comments on here. People complain about his lack of intensity and hunger and then they complain about how injury-prone he is. Would playing when not fully fit not indicate that he does have the will to play? Surely, if he had have said he was injured and unable to play before the game, we would have the same people criticising him on the basis that he's too soft/doesn't want it enough.

Also, another thing that annoys me is that a lot of people must think that runnign around maniacally constitutes good pressing. No, it absolutely doesn't. Pressing is first and foremost about closing down angles and blocking off passing options; when you block off passing options, there isn't really anywhere to go for the opposition. Better a low-intensity press with good angles (Like Martial's was today) than a full-out but incoherent press (Like Bruno was doing at times in the first half on the RW and like Daniel James used to). Just because someone isn't running around like their backside is on fire doesn't mean that they aren't pressing effectively. City really struggled at times to progress play in the first-half and most of their successful attacks in that period (Not many, it has to be said) came down either wind, not down the centre. Martial may not press like a madman (He was injured in his defence) but he did by and large do his job. From the 45-70 minute mark, City did a low better of a job at progressing play centrally; I don't think this is any coincidence.

Plus there were four or five times in the first half where some good hold-up play from Martial set up attacks. Nothing ultimately came of them but that wasn't his fault. Besides, we had pretty much no attacks from the 45-70 minute mark and City's just kept on winning possesio, at least Martial was at times putting them on the back foot.

This is not to say that Martial is great or that we shouldn't replace him. Ideally, we would bring in someone like Osimhen or Goncalo Ramos in the summer and have Martial as our #2. But some of the comments on here are crazy. Martial was ok today on the whole, not great, not woeful, just ok. No need to go overboard just because you hate him as a player.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
He's the weak link in the chain, but we looked worse when he went out. Antony clearly didnt fit the number 9 position. We need to upgrade on him (Martial) asap.
He clearly looked unfit more than anything, so am (sort of) surprised how much abuse he's getting. We did look worse without him, with the front line lacking cohesion.
Agree he can obviously be a frustrating player in general though.

Redlyn

I would like to support him... from the bench. A bit of a false dawn at the start of the season but essentially same player that stunk out the place last season even when on loan.

Godfather

He looked lazy/unfit af in the first half. Pretty dim however that we still looked way worse without him and with Antony up front. Can't wait for Weghorst to get going

SAFMUTD

He clearly looked unfit more than anything, so am (sort of) surprised how much abuse he's getting. We did look worse without him, with the front line lacking cohesion.
It's his body language really, he seems like a player who doesn't give a shit. That doesn't body well when the team is not performing.

Jippy

Staff
It's his body language really, he seems like a player who doesn't give a shit. That doesn't body well when the team is not performing.
I feel like his body language is pretty similar whether he's on peak form or playing shite, but admittedly I've not studied it that closely over the years.

SAFMUTD

I feel like his body language is pretty similar whether he's on peak form or playing shite, but admittedly I've not studied it that closely over the years.
Exactly, he walks like Messi but that doesn't body well unless you're well Messi.

Idxomer

We looked much worse without him. We had something like 10% possession till City scored their goal and eased off on the ball.

Rashford wasn't able to get into the game at all. Bruno was getting pulled all over the place because our defensive shape went to shit without a striker occupying their defenders.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What possible reason could he have for being unfit though? ETH has treated him with kid gloves all season.

InfiniteBoredom

What possible reason could he have for being unfit though? ETH has treated him with kid gloves all season.
What possible reason could Saha have for being unfit? Or Jones?

He and Pogba seemed to be the main casualties of OGS’s fitness regime. Rashford recovered but the culture of pressuring players to play all the time with untreated, niggling injuries have left them both with broken bodies.

Which means we have to upgrade on him, but talks about him not giving a shit or being lazy clearly isnt true, because if it were, can you imagine our Bald Fr-aud in charge would allow it for a sec?

kouroux

We all know his body is more fragile than normal, why are we acting all surprised all of sudden ? We should all trust the manager, he showed ruthlessness towards players. If Martial isn't doing his best, he would simply not play

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Playing badly doesn't mean having a bad attitude.
I've tried to say this before with regard to Martial.

If he'd had a genuinely bad attitude, he wouldn't have been favoured under previous managers either.

He's never been brilliant enough to make anyone start him in spite of him having a horrible attitude.

It's always been bollocks.

kouroux

I've tried to say this before with regard to Martial.

If he'd had a genuinely bad attitude, he wouldn't have been favoured under previous managers either.

He's never been brilliant enough to make anyone start him in spite of him having a horrible attitude.

It's always been bollocks.
Exactly. Confirmation bias. People create crazy narratives about players and ready to pounce on the smallest thing to confirm their theories

Bebe

He was clearly playing injured today and with instructions to link up play but not sprint. It cost us a few times in the first half in situations where Rashford had to go alone and seemed to know his mate wouldn't be there.

ETH has signed Weghorst and (disastrously) tried Eriksen up front because he quite evidently wants a striker who can link the play. If Martial can stay fit he's perfect for the role, hence ETH playing him today knowing he'd be half strength. Unfortunately, Martial seemingly cannot stay fit.

redIndianDevil

I felt he was a bit off pace today. But it’s clear without him we really struggled to hold on to the ball.

And despite being just average he could have had two goal in the first half if Rashford had any semblance of composure and squared the ball.

Jippy

Staff
Ah. Didn’t hear that. Just read the interview earlier in the week saying he wasn’t physically capable of playing matches in quick succession. He’s so fecking fragile.
I thought he was a big doubt for this game and then ETH said he was injured. Wasn't sure if the comment on him being unable to play three games a week was cos he's been carrying injuries or just cos he is so fecking fragile in general.

Dominos

I thought he did fairly well in the first half to be honest, there were times the ball was sticking when it went up to him and some dangerous attacks developed from that.

2nd half the ball came straight back without him on the pitch.

His body is just far too fragile these days, we need to get rid in the summer, even if he has a decent 2nd half to the season.

city-puma

After such a win, people just can’t help themselves but come here to bash Martial? Truly pathetic!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Unfortunately he’s been that way for 2.5 years now - can’t see it changing anytime soon.
Aye it’s a shame. He’s obviously not physically capable of being relied upon as a first team regular. You do see the occasional sicknote fixing whatever plagued them (Gerrard, Giggs) but they’re the exception that proves the rule.

Shark

@NotShark
Get two new strikers in I say and ship this guy out. He's proven countless tines now that he can't be relied upon. It's actually hilarious thst he's still here getting opportunities.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
His body is just way too fragile. I don't think he was too bad today, but he also just looked unfit and like he couldn't stretch his legs properly. Is what it is. Wonder if he'll stay and be a backup come the summer, or if he'll look to leave. Wouldn't mind either way.

Olecurls99

I just don't understand some of the comments on here. People complain about his lack of intensity and hunger and then they complain about how injury-prone he is. Would playing when not fully fit not indicate that he does have the will to play? Surely, if he had have said he was injured and unable to play before the game, we would have the same people criticising him on the basis that he's too soft/doesn't want it enough.

Also, another thing that annoys me is that a lot of people must think that runnign around maniacally constitutes good pressing. No, it absolutely doesn't. Pressing is first and foremost about closing down angles and blocking off passing options; when you block off passing options, there isn't really anywhere to go for the opposition. Better a low-intensity press with good angles (Like Martial's was today) than a full-out but incoherent press (Like Bruno was doing at times in the first half on the RW and like Daniel James used to). Just because someone isn't running around like their backside is on fire doesn't mean that they aren't pressing effectively. City really struggled at times to progress play in the first-half and most of their successful attacks in that period (Not many, it has to be said) came down either wind, not down the centre. Martial may not press like a madman (He was injured in his defence) but he did by and large do his job. From the 45-70 minute mark, City did a low better of a job at progressing play centrally; I don't think this is any coincidence.

Plus there were four or five times in the first half where some good hold-up play from Martial set up attacks. Nothing ultimately came of them but that wasn't his fault. Besides, we had pretty much no attacks from the 45-70 minute mark and City's just kept on winning possesio, at least Martial was at times putting them on the back foot.

This is not to say that Martial is great or that we shouldn't replace him. Ideally, we would bring in someone like Osimhen or Goncalo Ramos in the summer and have Martial as our #2. But some of the comments on here are crazy. Martial was ok today on the whole, not great, not woeful, just ok. No need to go overboard just because you hate him as a player.
Great points

M Bison

Supports
York City
Needs to be a bench player at best, hope we have the funds to go big in summer on a striker, we’re crying out for a focal point and 20+ goal a season player.

arnie_ni

What his critics can't seem to grasp is that we consistently simply play better when he's on the pitch. Badly missed his link-up play after the break.
He didn't seem to have many touches but anytime it went to him he seemed to keep it and allowed us to build a bit of possession.

That stopped 2nd half.

arnie_ni

Great post.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

I actually thought Martial did pretty good today and was surprised he was subbed

Status
Not open for further replies.