g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Antonio Valencia image 25

Antonio Valencia Ecuador flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Man Utd 3:1 Leicester

Rossa

I think this guy deserves some praise. He nullifies fast attackers to such an extent that people just take it for granted. Almost single handedly, he ruined Newcastle's counter attacking play by outpacing them time and time again. He did the same against Southampton with that fast lad down the wing, and Schlupp was given nothing today. Almost any other fullback in the league would have struggled at least from time to time against these players.

I also don't think he's a defensive liability so much anymore. He saved Rooney's arse and then another one later on.

Devil may care

They got no joy down our right until he came off, I'd say he'll be the starting RB until the end of the season.

Classical Mechanic

I think this guy deserves some praise. He nullifies fast attackers to such an extent that people just take it for granted. Almost single handedly, he ruined Newcastle's counter attacking play by outpacing them time and time again. He did the same against Southampton with that fast lad down the wing, and Schlupp was given nothing today. Almost any other fullback in the league would have struggled at least from time to time against these players.

I also don't think he's a defensive liability so much anymore. He saved Rooney's arse and then another one later on.
He is poor in attacking areas though. He put in my one decent high cross today, which sadly for him, is better than usual.

bugmat

They got no joy down our right until he came off, I'd say he'll be the starting RB until the end of the season.
This - he's still looking short of confidence up front, though he did take on his man a few times and actually got a few good crosses in (one first half early that RvP almost reached was surprisingly whipped in) and liked up nicely at times.. Still he can do better in attack and lost the ball on a few dribbles when he shouldn't have.

Defensively he's been VERY sound surprising considering how he looked in Fergie's last 2 years any time h had to play at RB.

Rossa

We also posed no threat down the right, again.
True, but Schlupp also worked his arse off to double up on Valencia every time he got close to an attacking area. He has to carry the entire attack down that side. On the other flank, Shaw and Januzaj had a much better working relationship as Januzaj played more as an out and out winger.

Kag

His defending and positioning has improved quite considerably. Well done to him for that. Going forward, however, he's worse than ever. He gets so much time and space and produces so, so little.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
His defending and positioning has improved quite considerably. Well done to him for that. Going forward, however, he's worse than ever. He gets so much time and space and produces so, so little.
Sums it up really. He's done a respectable job converting to right back in many ways but he's just so limited on the ball. He's terrible at passing it infield, partly due to his inability to use his left foot. Ivanovic's pass to Hazard for Chelsea's equaliser showed the value of having a full back who is capable of some level of variety in his passing game. That said, he's done a good enough job defensively to keep him around.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Not a biggest fan but I'm okay with him as long as he doesn't play as a winger. There will be games when his power and speed will not be enough but I have to admit he is improving his positioning.

Devil may care

This - he's still looking short of confidence up front, though he did take on his man a few times and actually got a few good crosses in (one first half early that RvP almost reached was surprisingly whipped in) and liked up nicely at times.. Still he can do better in attack and lost the ball on a few dribbles when he shouldn't have.

Defensively he's been VERY sound surprising considering how he looked in Fergie's last 2 years any time h had to play at RB.
It looks like he has worked hard on his defensive positioning and it is really starting to show. I imagine in the summer we'll be buying a RB who can defend and offer a lot more in attack, but Valencia has no doubt cemented the squad spot ahead of Rafael.

bugmat

True, but Schlupp also worked his arse off to double up on Valencia every time he got close to an attacking area. He has to carry the entire attack down that side. On the other flank, Shaw and Januzaj had a much better working relationship as Januzaj played more as an out and out winger.
This - I was trying to recall who was supposed to be in tandem with AV when he was playing RB and couldn't remember... RvP?? Our right side has suffered for Rafael's fall from grace in the starting line-up. Him and AV were a very strong combination 2-3 years ago.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Sums it up really. He's done a respectable job converting to right back in many ways but he's just so limited on the ball. He's terrible at passing it infield, partly due to his inability to use his left foot. Ivanovic's pass to Hazard for Chelsea's equaliser showed the value of having a full back who is capable of some level of variety in his passing game. That said, he's done a good enough job defensively to keep him around.
The annoying thing he's an assured passer and has got it in his locker. Watch his outside of the boot, infield pass into the path of a turning RvP who should have done better today. Might be the moment when RvP played in Falcao in the first half and the latter almost managed to work space for a shot.

marlowe78

It may not seem like he's doing much, but taking him off and watching the opposition suddenly get runs down our right side tells a lot.

Having said that, his offensive delivery is still poor and really holding us back.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We dominate that much of the ball he's not been tested that much defensively. Would prefer Rafael offensively but Valencia wasn't bad last game. Needs to keep being positive.

ottosec

He does the job whenever he plays, but we need somebody better in the summer.

beergod

I wish we had a healthy RB so we could use Valencia as the right sided CM in the diamond instead of Fellaini.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I wish we had a healthy RB so we could use Valencia as the right sided CM in the diamond instead of Fellaini.
I wish we had a better right back and centrebacks so we could play Herrera and Di Maria ahead of Blind or Carrick and never use Valencia ever again.

LR7

I don't have the same aversion to Valencia as some on here, but Rojo was brilliant and deserved it more imo.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He's done ok defensively but he still offers next to nothing going forward, which for a winger/wing back whatever you want to call him isn't good enough.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
He's not been terrible but he hardly warrants player of the month. Who votes for this stuff? Surprised he even made the top 3, let alone win the thing.

bugmat

It's a surprise, but he's been decent.

I'd have voted for Blind.
I quite like him - two things ppl might be ignoring

1. i don't think either Blind or Rojo have actually played all january games so that may hae swung it
2. if they did i'd agree AV shouldnt have won..

Devil may care

Kinda sums up how poorly we have been playing, I mean Valencia has been decent but nothing much more than that as he doesn't add anything to the attack.

buckooo1978

well done Antonio - hopefully he puts in a good performance tomorrow

think Rojo has been pretty flawless in the last 3 games though