5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Why is he even on the pitch? Pathetic. Absolutely useless. All he ever does is pass it back to the person who passes him the ball. He doesn't try to run at defenders anymore. He is playing against Cambridge ffs. At least show some attacking intent. And when he does try and put in a cross in it doest even cross the first defender. Absolutely shocking he is still playing for us.

drdoityourself

He seems to have no footballing intelligence to go with no courage. My mother always said that that is not the recipe for a Manchester United player.

Redo91

Genuine question.

Is this guy even League 2 standard? Like Fletcher against Yeovil not only did he not stand out but he actually struggled against lower league opposition. I mean all the rest of our players (even Jones) showed the odd touch of class but he did nothing positive of note all game. If the purpose of football was to smash the ball off your nearest opponents ankles he would have several Balon D'Or's by now. Unfortunately for him it isn't. Incredibly bad.

NK86

His lack of guts to take a man on, lack of intelligence or ability in the final third is reaching new levels now. I think VG loves his though as he never takes any risk whatsoever.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Remember that time a week ago when people were praising him for being our best attacking outlets for a run of several games? Oh thats right, you've all forgotten.

Devil may care

Had one of those "first touch of a rapist" games today, thankfully for him there were others on the pitch that were worse.

justboy68

The one thing I don't get is why we seem so utterly determined (and have done for years) to play our football through our worst outfield player as much as possible. Is it just because the opposition always leave him open and we can't be fecked to try and do anything more complicated like move off the ball and create space?

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Has not been United standard for some time now. Occasionally has a good game but generally very inconsistent and lacks self belief and confidence. Don't think he can ever regain the great form when he first joined us.

ottosec

The one thing I don't get is why we seem so utterly determined (and have done for years) to play our football through our worst outfield player as much as possible. Is it just because the opposition always leave him open and we can't be fecked to try and do anything more complicated like move off the ball and create space?
that's pretty clever from our opponents, if you think about it. :lol:

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Remember that time a week ago when people were praising him for being our best attacking outlets for a run of several games? Oh thats right, you've all forgotten.
Yeah he had a few good matches there. What really helped there was he could beat a man and try put a ball in but today they'd have a couple of defenders out on the wing so he'd have to try be smarter and do a bit of dribbling which doesn't really suit. Some of his touches today were just awful but then everyone can have a bad day. Some of them tbf to him did bobble a lot off the ground.

Blue always red

This is why I don't understand the criticism of Valencia. It's obvious LVG has instructed the players not to give the ball away and what does Valencia exceed at? Giving the ball away. So when Rooney/Carrick/Blind/Fellaini and every other player we have feels the need to look up and pretend their looking for a pass but then spray it wide to Valencia I can totally see why he passes back.

NK86

I didn't get the praise for him then either. Barring a couple of moments in a couple of matches, he has been gash going forward.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He was poor, but he's also utterly abandoned out there on the right.

For 2 decades when we had the ball on the flanks you had both a full back and a winger close together, working to spread the defenders and create space.

Tony V now has Fellaini meandering around, generally standing about 10 feet in from the half way line. Who can't run beyond Valencia, can't play one touch and move and can't pick a pass forwards.

Valencia is essentially always double-teamed in this system. It's actually worse in a 352.

Bojan11

For 2 decades when we had the ball on the flanks you had both a full back and a winger close together, working to spread the defenders and create space.

Tony V now has Fellaini meandering around, generally standing about 10 feet in from the half way line. Who can't run beyond Valencia, can't play one touch and move and can't pick a pass forwards.

Valencia is essentially always double-teamed in this system. It's actually worse in a 352.
No he wasn't double teamed.

Especially when Herrera came on. He had chances to take on his defender, but he passed back.

ManUArfa

What is it about Valencia that a succession of managers seem to love?

I'm truly fed up with him either slowing the attack down with a halt and backwards pass, or hitting the ball straight at the opposition defender.

Call me old fashioned but when he gets the ball he should use his pace to get to the line and put in one of a variety of different crosses to keep the opponent guessing.

mu77

tony standstill strikes again. made the cambridge united lb look good.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Is it just me, or does he not look that particularly quick anymore? He used to be my favourite player. The first and third seasons with us (with his second being blighted by that nasty injury) were explosive. He just got ball, ran past anyone infront of him and got the ball in behind. A loose ball on the counter would usually see Valencia win it even if his opponent had a head start. He was lightning. Does he still have that in him?

His pace was/is his strongest asset and is what made him so effective. Even if the end product wasn't there, he was skinning everyone for pace. I can't remember the last time I saw him leave an opponent for dust like he used to do. Everytime he knocks the ball on, he rarely ever beats his man to it.

Nowdays, he's just a solid defender who often doesn't lose out in a one on one or a physical encounter, but his threat looks completely non-existent. In the old days, you'd have opponents doubling up on him, and he'd still get beyond them. Now he's given a lot of space, but he still looks so untreatening. If he's going to play in a system without any forward width like the diamond or the 352, then he needs to be an outlet, but he plays such a conservative game. I don't know if that is by instruction, but in Fergie's final season, last season under Moyes and this year, he's not come anywhere near what we know he is capable of, if he still is capable.

m1y2

I agree, if he had Januzaj or dimaria or any other winger in front of him he could still be a valuable player, no player apart maybe young can play wingback properly in our team so I don't understand why we stick to that, or well full back in diamond where there is no natural winger in front of him. Fellaini is so awful at the line.

He was bad today but he is a great professional but I still think he could be a valuable back up, we don't need to spend money here, COleman or Clyne would also struggle today except Valencia's touch today was really horrid let alone his crosses.. but no support is no support, too many players don't know how to play in their positions..

Dominos

It's very difficult for him to contribute absolutely nothing all season going forward given he plays every game. He had that good run in the Liverpool game and the assist against QPR, but he's generally awful in an attacking sense. His attempted crosses gets blocked, when he does manage to put the ball in the box it's shit, can't beat his man and can't show any good link up play.

El Zoido

He's awful, we'd be better off getting Zaha back and using him as an actual right winger than having Valencia as a wingback.

WyoManU

woefully awful. No idea what happened to him but he is only a shadow of his former potential...not a clue.

ravi2

For the last two years he has been awful. If we had a functioning winger on the right it would stretch out the play, create space and make a world of difference to our game. Our forwards have little to no service. We are essentially playing a 532 except our wingers (and wing backs) are not performing as they should...not even close.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don't want to go back to Moyes tactics of getting to the byline and blasting it in but doing it occasionally wouldn't hurt, would it? Getting the ball deep into their half a few times and putting it low and hard across into the mixer would have caused all sorts of problems and given Falcao a bit of blood to sniff out.

Just attack them man, at the very worst it'll bounce back off your leg for a throw in or goal kick.

fallengt

Struggling to understand what Tony doing in this team. He's been consistently shite under 3 fecking managers and he's still here :confused:.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
So, he can't cut in, he doesn't take his man on, and if he ever does.. He can't cross.

This renders him pointless.

But one thing I can't get my head around, how did he lose the ability to cross the ball? I'm convinced that he was a pretty good crosser when he first arrived here. I remember him standing it up in the air a lot, the exact opposite to what he does now. Another thing that annoys me is when he does take his man on, he usually beats him!

Last edited:

Bojan11

Still can't believe this is the guy who was ripping Ashley Cole to shreds and now is scared to take on his man.

NK86

I agree, if he had Januzaj or dimaria or any other winger in front of him he could still be a valuable player, no player apart maybe young can play wingback properly in our team so I don't understand why we stick to that, or well full back in diamond where there is no natural winger in front of him. Fellaini is so awful at the line.

He was bad today but he is a great professional but I still think he could be a valuable back up, we don't need to spend money here, COleman or Clyne would also struggle today except Valencia's touch today was really horrid let alone his crosses.. but no support is no support, too many players don't know how to play in their positions..
He is not a FB. He definitely does not look like a winger anymore. So what's his use in this team? He is an average footballer now who is being played out of position because he is awful in his usual position and contributes little to nothing to our attacks.

Redo91

Is it just me, or does he not look that particularly quick anymore? He used to be my favourite player. The first and third seasons with us (with his second being blighted by that nasty injury) were explosive. He just got ball, ran past anyone infront of him and got the ball in behind. A loose ball on the counter would usually see Valencia win it even if his opponent had a head start. He was lightning. Does he still have that in him?

His pace was/is his strongest asset and is what made him so effective. Even if the end product wasn't there, he was skinning everyone for pace. I can't remember the last time I saw him leave an opponent for dust like he used to do. Everytime he knocks the ball on, he rarely ever beats his man to it.

Nowdays, he's just a solid defender who often doesn't lose out in a one on one or a physical encounter, but his threat looks completely non-existent. In the old days, you'd have opponents doubling up on him, and he'd still get beyond them. Now he's given a lot of space, but he still looks so untreatening. If he's going to play in a system without any forward width like the diamond or the 352, then he needs to be an outlet, but he plays such a conservative game. I don't know if that is by instruction, but in Fergie's final season, last season under Moyes and this year, he's not come anywhere near what we know he is capable of, if he still is capable.
This 100%. I can't think of any other player that was as reliant on pace as Valencia. Even at his peak in 2011-2012 in terms of technical ability he was very average. All he did was knock the ball past the full back and whip a cross in. So simple and so effective. He didn't have the ability to beat a player with a bit of skill so it was all about the pace. It was obvious that once he lost that he would be finished at the top level. Now he doesn't have the pace to get past the full back to make the space for the cross, hence why the vast majority of his crosses hit the opposing full back on the shins.