View full 2014-15 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Timdbro

The worst thing is when he actually waits for the defender to get back in position before crossing, it's like he's thinking 'I'm in space so I'd better slow down a bit if I want to put a great cross into the defenders shin again'.

Winrar

Possesses zero creativity. At least back couple years ago he made himself useful by running at the defenders and at least attempt to beat them by pace.

He's a deadwood at this stage and I don't see any benefit of keeping him.

Ixion

Commentators and pundits go so easy on him, although today by the end even Owen had to point out he was doing the same thing over and over. They said the defender had done a good job against him but he literally does the same thing every single time, it's not hard to defend against.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
One of the worst thing Lvg did was to give him a new contract. He's absolutely useless and infuriating to watch and should've been booted first out of the door in the clear out.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Is he still doing that thing where he looks disappointed with himself after yet another failed cross? You're not fooling anyone, Antonio, least of all a sharp observer like me.
*puts cat in fridge, puts milk out for the night*

lilcurt

Why is it even when he beats a man he just stops the ball dead and passes backwards.

He is shocking.

Ixion

Was it Valencia that after a corner for us was cleared by Burnley to about the half way line turned and passed it all the way back to De Gea, home fans gave an ironic cheer and Van Gaal looked annoyed when the camera cut to him.

SteveJ

Scout
Think that was Braveheart Evans, mate.

gasmanc

Banned
He makes me scream obscenities, luckily I've developed a brain to mouth filter with age so they don't reach my lips but Christ he's terrible, seeing him on the same pitch with the quality of Di Maria was hugely telling. You can add in Ashley Young too, very poor footballers.

ThanksBoss26

Van Gaal's face was a picture when the camera cut to him straight after a corner was cleared to Valencia on the halfway line and he passed it all the way back to De Gea.

Not necessarily in that example, but if he isn't prepared to be braver in possession and take on his man, I think he will be out of this side as soon as Rafael is fit. His role is crucial in this formation and he's giving us very little going forward.

I think he's got to the by-line once in two games and we scored from it. That should tell him something. This drilling the cross straight at the defender is garbage.

Name Changed

weso26
I have come to the conclusion that Antonio Valencia is absolutely brain-dead. I've thought this for a long time but when I see him keep making the same mistakes over and over again, then there is no other logical conclusion.

fallengt

His head is clearly broken. It takes 2-3 second for him to figure it out what to do next and he usually does the most obvious movement. FFS I ain't no footballer but I can predict his play 90% of the time. Never seen someone so consistently shite like him, under 3 fecking managers.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
By a country mile the worst player in our squad. Cleverley had more about him.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
One dimensional, one footed, shot shy, lazy and gutless.

Shark

@NotShark
He's a big part of the reason why we've been so hard to watch these days. I can't believe that he's been in favour of three managers now solely for the fact that he can do a shift defensively. Moyes liked that, fair enough, but now LVG? I hope to God he doesn't get near the first team when Rafael returns and is out the door by the time he gets injured again(cross the fingers he doesn't.)

He's toxic.

markhrad

There are a lot of great one-footed players from Maradona to Giggs but they could weave in and out through players with the greatest of ease.
Valencia, however, is so predictable he cannot be effective as a winger/ crosser. He should convert to a Right back.
He has two options. Fake going down the line before going full speed down the line or fake going down the line before cutting back and passing inside or backwards with his right foot. He must be easy to defend against.
For such a one-footed guy with average dribbling skills he should have used one of his off seasons to cultivate a Left foot.

SteveJ

Scout
Damn, he's even worse than I thought...

Devil may care

He used to be a fullback's nightmare, now he's their day off, I'd love a nice surprise of him being sold to Hull on deadline day.

red_devil83

I thought RWB would be ideal for Tony V. He's not amazing going forward but was plenty good enough for a defender. Likewise, he used to work hard tracking back as a winger. Hence ideal Wing Back!

Turns out we just get the shittest of both worlds.

fallengt

Giggs is to blame here. He had the chance to tell LvG that Valaencia is shite, just get rid of him but no no we rewarded him new contract.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Giggs is to blame here. He had the chance to tell LvG that Valaencia is shite, just get rid of him but no no we rewarded him new contract.
"I like Valencia's pace"

dinners85

There are a lot of great one-footed players from Maradona to Giggs but they could weave in and out through players with the greatest of ease.
Valencia, however, is so predictable he cannot be effective
Exactly

How many times does he get to the point of delivery and GRRRRR he has to go back to right foot.

I've had enough of him

Use the left foot for god's sake.

It might be shit but AT LEAST A BALL COMES IN.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Does LvG really have a choice but to pick him? No one else right now is fit and capable of doing the shift in his position. As awful as he has been he is about the only right sided player who can do defensive job that we have.

MUFC > Everyone

I don't think he's a lazy player. Many a times he's the one sprinting back on defense to nick the ball of the opponents forwards or midfielders and does a pretty good job disrupting play.

I agree with the rest though. The worst is the crosses on the ground. He's so lucky his ground cross against Sunderland resulted in a Mata goal because otherwise I cannot remember the last time one of his ground crosses actually worked. Van Persie against chelsea last year? Heck, I wonder if Mata didn't score that goal he would still be crossing it into the ground...

newgiz

I wouldn't even consider his outings as 'Performances' because that actually means he's performing tasks given to him which he clearly isn't. The fact that we gave him a renewal is a travesty. Now he will be difficult to get rid off. He is only still around because we have other areas that need fixing in the current window.

lysglimt

Scout
In a match where he several times saved our defenders - he is being criticized for weak crosses. Despite the fact that the 2-3 times he managed to get the ball into the box - there were like 7 defenders and 1 United-attack there. That seems justified.

Have you considered the fact - that maybe the lack of United-players in the box affects the way he crosses the ball ?

newgiz

In a match where he several times saved our defenders - he is being criticized for weak crosses. Despite the fact that the 2-3 times he managed to get the ball into the box - there were like 7 defenders and 1 United-attack there. That seems justified.

Have you considered the fact - that maybe the lack of United-players in the box affects the way he crosses the ball ?
I just wonder if you have been watching him over the last 2 seasons because his crossing hasn't exactly gone suddenly to shit.Its been a steady decline. Besides its just not his crossing alone that is being criticized. He's afraid to take players on and defenders don't consider him to be a threat at all.

Last edited:

hobbers

He's not a lazy player, just gutless and brainless.

Not a very potent combination as it turns out.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Are you related to him perchance? he's utter dog turd. One of the shittest players in the Premiership and has been for some time now.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's gone. Mentally. Plus his lack of variety has been sussed out by everyone and his inability to add more to his game has been the unmaking of him. I'd actually sell him before I sell Cleverley. (And I'm not opposed to selling Cleverley.)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

The lack of United players and the massed defenders in the box, combined with two opposition players closing him down and not a single overlapping run from anyone in white. You couldn't create a worse situation for our wide men if you tried. Oh actually you could, give them more defensive duties than usual. Yay for the 352!

Obviously, Valencia hasn't shined individually in any other formation for a while but the combination with Rafael has looked decent at times. So far this season Valencia has done a shitload of good defensive work and created our only competitive goal in open play, despite being absolutely crippled by this goddam formation we're playing. The abuse in this thread is (as ever) completely over the top.