5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

flappyjay

Same for Telles. He's the only RW in the squad and if he is putting in crap performances every time then he will get the stick. I hope he turns it around soon.
Same here, all you can do is hope the players do well especially big money ones. I have a soft spot for Sancho but I can admit that he hasn't been good enough but there is this crowd that wants to pretend Antony is doing well. Whether he cost 20m or 40m his current performances wouldn't be good enough.

BlueHaze

Mahrez this and Mahrez that, stop kissing arse of some citeh dickhead and get behind your own player.

I agree Antony has so far not delivered what we expected and definitely not what Erik expected. But these constant phrases like ''I don't think he's got what it takes to make it here'' Lmao!!

I am glad you came to that conclusion with him not even having played 20 games yet but some of us would, you know, at least give him a season before making such ridiculous statements...

Belisarius

I just rewatched the Arsenal game and I was trying to pay attention to Antony in particular. He was doing some things very well. His defensive work-rate and positioning to support Wan Bissaka was very good. On one play in particular he was a couple of steps behind an Arsenal player in their half and Arsenal were trying to break. He sprinted for 40 or 50 yards to catch up to the player and force him to turn sideways and turn a fast break into just a controlled possession. I'm pleased to see this because at the end of Ole's reign Greenwood would never work on defence and Sancho and Rashford only marginally more and it contributed a lot to the heavy defeats we were suffering back then.

He also is quite brave in possession. Arsenal were pressing us pretty hard and a few times he got the ball with several Arsenal players pressing him but he didn't panic. He would turn back or spin away or body shield the ball to gain a few seconds and allow us to get players open in support and retain possession. I think he is quite good at this.

But, his passing was terrible. He had a couple of chances to play players through with fairly short easy passes. I'm thinking of one to Wan Bissaka at the edge of Arsenal's penalty area in the first half and another to Rashford on the left in the second half. In both cases the passes were inaccurate and poorly weighted. These were not difficult passes and it is very concerning that he doesn't seem able to make a precise short pass to feet.

Also, he had a potential break-away in the second half where his poor touch took him away from goal and towards the sideline and then Partey outran him to force him away from goal for a corner kick. I can't remember any other plays where he tried to really attack the goal.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I meant Mahrez barely played his first season at City. Anyway now that the manager backs up my view on Antony (I said he hasn't been as bad as people are making out to be)...maybe I'll get a few mea cuplas coming my way...lol
He played 44 games for City in his first season. Dig up mate.

The Hilton

He looks a bit out of place when we're playing like a counter attacking team, as he doesn't have the electric pace of Rashford/Martial.

He's been brought in as part of our transition to a more dominant possession based approach, where his skill in tight spaces and work rate will be more likely to shine. Not saying it's guaranteed that he'll be a success here, but everyone saying he's useless because he isn't Adama Traore is jumping the gun.

romufc

He looks a bit out of place when we're playing like a counter attacking team, as he doesn't have the electric pace of Rashford/Martial.

He's been brought in as part of our transition to a more dominant possession based approach, where his skill in tight spaces and work rate will be more likely to shine. Not saying it's guaranteed that he'll be a success here, but everyone saying he's useless because he isn't Adama Traore is jumping the gun.
Yep, you can see in games we do have more control when he plays. Just little things like, when the ball goes to him, he can hold it off and pass.

I think we need to have patience instead of writing him off already.

wolvored

Hes got 5 goals in 19 games. Hes been here a few months, not years. Hes a novice at this level.
We have had other players have a difficult first year. Evra and Vidic, further back Schmeichel and May all had difficult starts.

Frank White

Next game he plays think i need to pay more attention to him because all I hear on here is that he makes good decisions constantly and he retains possessions well but to me it's the exact opposite. His passing is typically one of his worse attributes, the amount of simple passes he messes up is alarming and normally it's always in really good positions.

nakpodiareuben

Next game he plays think i need to pay more attention to him because all I hear on here is that he makes good decisions constantly and he retains possessions well but to me it's the exact opposite. His passing is typically one of his worse attributes, the amount of simple passes he messes up is alarming and normally it's always in really good positions.
I don't know why people are slating him! Maybe because he does not fun at defenders. He works hard, holds the ball well and opponents now know he is a threat. Coming from his left.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Mahrez this and Mahrez that, stop kissing arse of some citeh dickhead and get behind your own player.

I agree Antony has so far not delivered what we expected and definitely not what Erik expected. But these constant phrases like ''I don't think he's got what it takes to make it here'' Lmao!!

I am glad you came to that conclusion with him not even having played 20 games yet but some of us would, you know, at least give him a season before making such ridiculous statements...
The problem is he did cost 80mil that's the reason any sensible fan would expect him to perform right away and to a certain standard. Not that Sancho delivered too much for the same amount.
When you pay that much on a player you must have some expectations to make a difference, not that the above-mentioned names are the only ones who disappointed thus far.

Another issue is that wingers or wide attackers are the players who's best and worst attributes get to be shown much faster than any other position on the pitch mostly due to the fact that they get in one vs ones situations more often.

Leonzo1

I am confident he will come good for us. Maybe not 100 Mil good but I'm placing an early bet that next season he will be one of our 5 best players. It's obvious that he lacks confident and he is getting familiar with an entirely different league than what he is used to. The writing him off on this forum has been ridiculous really. 5 goals in 19 matches and people are acting like he is Sanchez + Falcao level of flop.

RuudTom83

When you try to buy players from clubs that have no need or interest in selling, you are going to get ripped off.

The transfer fee wasn’t set my Antony himself, so give the kid a break, and let’s stop quoting his transfer fee in every post.

dove

Hes got 5 goals in 19 games. Hes been here a few months, not years. Hes a novice at this level.
We have had other players have a difficult first year. Evra and Vidic, further back Schmeichel and May all had difficult starts.
I am not saying he cannot improve but for 1of Evra or Vidic we have about 100 Januzaj or Buttners' etc. It's extremely rare that the player who looks absolutely terrible after half a year suddenly turns it around after 1 or 2 years. Form and confidence is 1 thing but I just don't think that's the case with Antony. Happy to be proven wrong but he just has some fundamental flaws in his game that I don't think it's very likely more time will suddenly make that go away.

BlueHaze

The problem is he did cost 80mil that's the reason any sensible fan would expect him to perform right away and to a certain standard. Not that Sancho delivered too much for the same amount.
When you pay that much on a player you must have some expectations to make a difference, not that the above-mentioned names are the only ones who disappointed thus far.

Another issue is that wingers or wide attackers are the players who's best and worst attributes get to be shown much faster than any other position on the pitch mostly due to the fact that they get in one vs ones situations more often.
As far as the price. These days high fees almost mean nothing, left right and centre players are going for grossly inflated fees. Maguire costed us 80m....

As for the bolded part, I can agree to that in a certain extent, but will add that any sensible fan also knows that everyone is not Haaland, everyone does not come to a new league and start smashing it instantly.

Some players need time to adapt to the league, to their surroundings, to their teammates.. When Antony has been given enough time to do so, only then can we truly judge him.

Sir Marcus

This guy completely fails the eye test for me, have very little hope that he won’t be considered as big a flop as Maguire or Pepe…

Hopefully he doesn’t do too much damage to our aspirations whilst ETH and the club persevere with him due to the amount of money spent - genuinely think we should cut our losses..

BlueHaze

This guy completely fails the eye test for me, have very little hope that he won’t be considered as big a flop as Maguire or Pepe…

Hopefully he doesn’t do too much damage to our aspirations whilst ETH and the club persevere with him due to the amount of money spent - genuinely think we should cut our losses..
This is the new cringe ''hipster word'' that keeps being used everywhere..

BlueHaze

@Sir Marcus

What about this post from you in Varane thread.

''Varane has been utter shite - must be the most overrated defender of the last 15 years.''

That certainly doesn't pass ''the eye test'' does it..

:lol:

Sir Marcus

@Sir Marcus

What about this post from you in Varane thread.

''Varane has been utter shite - must be the most overrated defender of the last 15 years.''

That certainly doesn't pass ''the eye test'' does it..

:lol:
Nor sure why you would want to discuss Varane in an Antony thread..? Something up? Should I be flattered that you decided to stalk me?

Varane was utter shit last year by the way, second part of the sentence might’ve been hyperbole.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

I don't know why people are slating him! Maybe because he does not fun at defenders. He works hard, holds the ball well and opponents now know he is a threat. Coming from his left.
Holds the ball well is another term I've seen used to describe Weghorst. For me, it's a kinder way of saying having the ball and not knowing what to do with it.

Josh 76

When you try to buy players from clubs that have no need or interest in selling, you are going to get ripped off.

The transfer fee wasn’t set my Antony himself, so give the kid a break, and let’s stop quoting his transfer fee in every post.
No player ever sets their own transfer fee.

saivet

No player ever sets their own transfer fee.
They don't but the nature of football means players will be judged accordingly. Pogba, Maguire and Lukaku for example were slated in particular because of how much they cost. If they were £50m signings, sure there would be criticism but it would be less harsh.

Big money signings at any club will never be judged by ignoring the fee.

BlueHaze

Nor sure why you would want to discuss Varane in an Antony thread..? Something up? Should I be flattered that you decided to stalk me?

Varane was utter shit last year by the way, second part of the sentence might’ve been hyperbole.
He was out with different injuries and struggled to get a decent run of games. When he played he was never ''utter shit'' That post just like the first one I quouted was rubbish.

Antony has not even played 20 games yet and you already think we should ''cut our losses'' What the hell is this, FM!?

And.. Stalking? :lol:

evil_geko

They don't but the nature of football means players will be judged accordingly. Pogba, Maguire and Lukaku for example were slated in particular because of how much they cost. If they were £50m signings, sure there would be criticism but it would be less harsh.

Big money signings at any club will never be judged by ignoring the fee.
This is true that big majority does this, but doesn't mean that it is not very stupid thing to do. I never take fee into consideration. It is shallow way to judge a player.

Josh 76

This is true that big majority does this, but doesn't mean that it is not very stupid thing to do. I never take fee into consideration. It is shallow way to judge a player.
The manger is judged on the fee, not the player. All the risk is with the manager who sanctions the fee. If it works, player gets the applause, if it doesn’t work, the manager gets the sack. For ETH to authorise this stupid fee, puts him in the firing line.

Pep has learnt to back down when he feels the player does not justify the fee.

Stacks

He was also the most expensive player in the transfer window. Evra and Vidic cost less than Dan James combined. Do teams break the bank for novices who might not be able to cope at the level you buy them for? Seems unlikely. I think Ten Hag thinks he is doing what he wants him to do

TheReligion

Abusive
He was also the most expensive player in the transfer window. Evra and Vidic cost less than Dan James combined. Do teams break the bank for novices who might not be able to cope at the level you buy them for? Seems unlikely. I think Ten Hag thinks he is doing what he wants him to do
Nunez was the most expensive although it was close

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
His best performance so far, was surprised to see him still getting criticised in the match thread. A big improvement.

podurban2

I thought he was good. Good movement and link-up play. Wish he was more clinical and took on defenders.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Showed signs of this directness and more willingness to try things and go at defenders against Arsenal, and this was a good continuation of that.

Not close to everything fully clicking yet of course, but there are some good things to be encouraged by lately from him.

avgp_1

Was quite good as he drifted into the central areas more. His technique and passing is much better used than when he is on his own out wide.

pacifictheme

His best performance so far, was surprised to see him still getting criticised in the match thread. A big improvement.
I think for many fans, my father included, their mind is made up and he can do no good.

But I agree. I think he's flattered to deceive at times but overall he did really well tonight, definitely responded to ten hags challenge to be more direct and was directly involved in some of our best moments, which is what you would expect.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Quite possibly his best game. Actually posed some level of threat. Still a lot more to come but at least a flicker of hope. Would be a massive boost to the team if he can turn out to be somewhat useful, we could do with having a proper threat on the right and without having a struggling near record signing that we try to make work to the detriment of the team.

Play him against Reading and let him build on this. I do like that he’s a forward player that has an instinct to shoot and score goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.