5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Grimes

Antony isnt necessarily fast, he's explosive and agile, but he's no Arjen Robben.

Well he dives like Arjen.
But he literally ran away from two of their players, one who showed good speed on several occasions. That was a 50 yard foot race and he carried the ball.
Must have missed that. I did pop out for a few minutes. What minute was that? I'll watch it back later.

BigDycheEnergy

You’ve not watched him enough if you think he has a lack of pace. He’s not showed it much in the EPL, but he’s rapid.
I haven't seen anything from him before he joined us, so you're right about that.

Why would he "hide" his pace, though? There were multiple instances today where he tried to sprint into space and got caught up to very quickly.

But when we play the way Ten Hag wants us to, I doubt his pace over distance will matter as much. As long as he keeps that 5 yard dash and has a good football brain, it will all work out for him.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Must have missed that. I did pop out for a few minutes. What minute was that? I'll watch it back later.
He's definitely not slow, but high speed over long distances isnt really his thing. He is probably still faster than 75% of all footballers.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
He is a good talent but the fact that United overpaid him blurs things. It's hard to ask the fans to judge a 100M€ players as a 60M one. You hope you're getting a decently finished product for that price, which he is not. He'll need time, he might succeed or might not reach Raphinha's level, who knows, but he'll need time. He's very unlikely to be a generational talent and even if he could end up being one, it's not what people should expect, he's not responsible for his price tag.

Blood Mage

Completely anonymous and ineffective tonight but it's early days for him. Sancho was even worse which is a concern as he's been here for over a year.

avgp_1

You’ve not watched him enough if you think he has a lack of pace. He’s not showed it much in the EPL, but he’s rapid.
He is not rapid over distances, he has quick acceleration. He breaks away but then he gets caught up as well. It's not an unknown about him

Chief123

I haven't seen anything from him before he joined us, so you're right about that.

Why would he "hide" his pace, though? There were multiple instances today where he tried to sprint into space and got caught up to very quickly.

But when we play the way Ten Hag wants us to, I doubt his pace over distance will matter as much. As long as he keeps that 5 yard dash and has a good football brain, it will all work out for him.
Tbh he doesn’t look match fit to me. I’ve watched him plenty before he came Utd and he’s normally a lot sharper than what he’s shown. There seems to be an element of nerves or hesitation in him trying things too.

Give him time, I’m certain we’ll see a much better version of him very soon.

Chief123

He is not rapid over distances, he has quick acceleration. He breaks away but then he gets caught up as well. It's not an unknown about him
He’s more than quick enough to lose players.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I must've watched a different game to most because I thought he played well considering he hasn't played much football in the last month and is still adapting to a new team.

His speed and agility was there to see and La Real doubled up on him quite well because there was a few occasions where he had beaten his man but was then thwarted by the player covering. I also thought the game didn't flow as much towards our right side, compared to our left. But that could've been down to the opponent's strategy of making us go down our left side.

I think the more he gets involved in the game, the more he will pose danger to the opposition.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
He is a good talent but the fact that United overpaid him blurs things. It's hard to ask the fans to judge a 100M€ players as a 60M one. You hope you're getting a decently finished product for that price, which he is not. He'll need time, he might succeed or might not reach Raphinha's level, who knows, but he'll need time. He's very unlikely to be a generational talent and even if he could end up being one, it's not what people should expect, he's not responsible for his price tag.
Tbf, nobody has called him a generational talent. Of the current players, only Mbappe and Haaland fit that criteria as they are freaks, that term gets thrown around way too liberally for any talented young player these days.

I really think he'll turn out great for United, just needs time. Price tag isn't his fault as you said, it was Ajax situation of not needing to sell.

aj020

Supports
ajax
I’m Dutch and a Ajax supporter. Antony can do great intuitive things but can also get on your nerves many times. He is very agile, technical and fast but very very often he won’t use it. Has a habbit to do tricks on 1 place and then plays back. It looks flashy but in the 1 against 1 he will almost never go fully past his opponent. The times he will try it often succeeds because he’s just to agile for them. I truly don’t understand why he doesn’t use those qualities time and time again. Will still provide chances because he’s a winner who can cross good and has a nice shot. Let’s hope he makes my mouth shut and dribble all the way this year

Reactions: Carolina Red

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Tbf, nobody has called him a generational talent. Of the current players, only Mbappe and Haaland fit that criteria as they are freaks, that term gets thrown around way too liberally for any talented young player these days.

I really think he'll turn out great for United, just needs time. Price tag isn't his fault as you said, it was Ajax situation of not needing to sell.
Most people here have reasonable expectations but we've read a couple of posters who compared him to Hazard or Neymar.

kaku06

Vulgarian
People need to relax, he will be absolutely fine for us. Give him 2-3 months if not the whole season. He will show his quality pretty soon. Let him figure out the league and adjust accordingly. It’s a huge jump from Eredivisie to premier league but he has the tools to do it. I never thought he is a neymar level talent but he would be better than Sterling just for comparison.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I must've watched a different game to most because I thought he played well considering he hasn't played much football in the last month and is still adapting to a new team.

His speed and agility was there to see and La Real doubled up on him quite well because there was a few occasions where he had beaten his man but was then thwarted by the player covering. I also thought the game didn't flow as much towards our right side, compared to our left. But that could've been down to the opponent's strategy of making us go down our left side.

I think the more he gets involved in the game, the more he will pose danger to the opposition.
I agree with all of this. Though the most concerning thing is that we let opponent dictate how we play, as though we can't engineer the right situations for our wingers. This has been a problem for a number of years, probably since LVG had Martial isolating fullbacks.

I actually thought he was getting better as the game went on tonight though. In the 10 or 15 minutes before he came off he looked like he decided to try and force matters a bit more and was knocking the ball past the fullback but getting fouled. The one time he did get free he left their fastest player in his dust whilst carrying the ball. I'm not disappointed with the performance.

Two things I want to see from him and Sancho (and the team/tactics) is 1) create more isolations somehow and 2) encourage them to run at their fullback. I think they've both got the talent. Sancho in particular seems to have forgotten what he's capable of.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree with all of this. Though the most concerning thing is that we let opponent dictate how we play, as though we can't engineer the right situations for our wingers. This has been a problem for a number of years, probably since LVG had Martial isolating fullbacks.

I actually thought he was getting better as the game went on tonight though. In the 10 or 15 minutes before he came off he looked like he decided to try and force matters a bit more and was knocking the ball past the fullback but getting fouled. The one time he did get free he left their fastest player in his dust whilst carrying the ball. I'm not disappointed with the performance.

Two things I want to see from him and Sancho (and the team/tactics) is 1) create more isolations somehow and 2) encourage them to run at their fullback. I think they've both got the talent. Sancho in particular seems to have forgotten what he's capable of.
I agree and I think things will gradually as the season progresses.

CloneMC16

Elanga was better than him. That says it all, really. Hopefully he just needs time. One thing I did like was that he was very switched on defensively. He made some good tackles and blocks when he tracked back. He definitely works harder than Rashford and Sancho getting back.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
People need to relax, he will be absolutely fine for us. Give him 2-3 months if not the whole season. He will show his quality pretty soon. Let him figure out the league and adjust accordingly. It’s a huge jump from Eredivisie to premier league but he has the tools to do it. I never thought he is a neymar level talent but he would be better than Sterling just for comparison.
Feck that. This isn't some academy lad being baby-stepped into the team.

It's a €100 million signing. Get going and do it fast.

RuudTom83

He seems one of the worst affected by the atmosphere in the stadium tonight.

Looked like he was half a sleep.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Works very hard defensively, things didn't come off for him at all though. He'll be fine though. Will take time to adapt as it does for anyone.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Feck that. This isn't some academy lad being baby-stepped into the team.

It's a €100 million signing. Get going and do it fast.
Typical impatience. So if we had paid €150m for him, he has to score hattricks every game then ? New team, New league etc means nothing. €100m would cover that part too ?

And by the same logic. Malacia cost £13m, so he’s allowed to be dogshit then for 3 years ? Or Eriksen being crap for remainder of his contract ? Because you know, he was free.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If I am being honest, his overall performance was rather poor over last 2 games for us. I was expecting a more lively performance based on his past footage.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He plays like a futsal player. Even when we start some counter attack he starts rolling the ball back or wide for some reason instead of running with it. Really weird technique.

Drizzle

He's obviously not an £84m player, but then we knew that. He lacks strength and that means that even if he tricks his way past a player he can get moved off the ball anyway. And he's nippy but doesn't have enough raw pace to get himself completely away from defenders sometimes.

That said, he's got enough skill to worry defences and provide a right side threat, so he'll be good for us. We just need to be realistic with our expectations.

Kostov

The journey is on for him, he will need to adapt quickly. From the very little sample up till now, he will need to choose his fights and duels more carefully.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's fair to say he needs time to settle. He looks and plays nervously right now. We've barely seen any of what made him special at Ajax so far.

He isn't taking on his man, he isn't using the outside of his foot, he just doesn't look confident or comfortable yet. That's understandable, he's been here less than a week.

There was still a few good signs, it wasn't all bad.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
It's fair to say he needs time to settle. He looks and plays nervously right now. We've barely seen any of what made him special at Ajax so far.

He isn't taking on his man, he isn't using the outside of his foot, he just doesn't look confident or comfortable yet. That's understandable, he's been here less than a week.

There was still a few good signs, it wasn't all bad.
Sensible post. People were writing off Lisandro after the first few, and look where he is now already.

Not expecting Antony to absolutely kick off on the 3rd game onwards, but for christ's sake give him some time to adapt!

DiceRoller

Agree he needs time to settle. It’s just that beating a man, i.e. getting the ball and running past him, doesn’t require months of settling.

There’s basics I’d expect to see from someone in that position that I’m not seeing yet.

Olecurls99

Agree he needs time to settle. It’s just that beating a man, i.e. getting the ball and running past him, doesn’t require months of settling.

There’s basics I’d expect to see from someone in that position that I’m not seeing yet.
I saw him beating his man plenty last night. The left back had to resort to constantly fouling him or getting help and that LB looked very sharp too.

I was impressed with him last night. He's lightning over 5 yards and the ball is glued to his foot. He hasn't got top end pace but he's got enough tools to give full backs nightmares. And he's really tenacious. Love him

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Elanga was better than him. That says it all, really. Hopefully he just needs time. One thing I did like was that he was very switched on defensively. He made some good tackles and blocks when he tracked back. He definitely works harder than Rashford and Sancho getting back.
Yeah, he’s absolutely streets ahead of Rashford, Sancho and Martial when it comes to tracking back and working hard to win the ball. Which is refreshing to see. This will make him a very popular player, if he can get sharper in the final third. Because, let’s be honest, he’s not looked good going forward in either of his last two games. Despite the goal on his debut.

LoneStar

I won't judge his performances until at least half a season in. Plenty of footballers who have started brightly and faded away, and vice versa. He is definitely one footed though.

His playstyle especially needs a good understanding with RB. Although Dalot has been good season, so hopefully they develop a connection.

dal

Wtf he looked good first half. Don’t blame the loss on him, Garnacho did very little and is getting praised.

He isn’t a counter attacking player, he’s someone who needs it around the edge of the box and the looks to create.

———————Martial————————
Rashford——Bruno————-Antony
———Eriksen——-Mctominay———-

This is our best front 6 and when fit they will do very very well.

Baneofthegame

I assume after last night the cafe is already saying he can’t do basic things, 120 mins in.

Putting all banter aside

He's obviously not an £84m player, but then we knew that. He lacks strength and that means that even if he tricks his way past a player he can get moved off the ball anyway. And he's nippy but doesn't have enough raw pace to get himself completely away from defenders sometimes.
If we knew he's definitely not a £84m player, why on earth did we pay that amount for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.