Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

marktan

He has three major problems that I saw from watching him at Ajax

1) Doesn't have the accelerating to get past defenders regularly, as you saw today.
2) He greatly prefers to cut inside, almost all his goals and assists from cutting inside.
3) He's used to playing against ass defenders in the Dutch league, both in terms of shape and physical ability. What worked there won't work here.

He'll still be a useful player because he has quality in his pass and his finish and works hard, but he gives us a similar problem to Sancho, in that neither can regularly get past players, which is absolutely crucial against teams that sit back. Look at Ousmane Dembele the other day for Barca, he's gone before the defenders even have a chance to think and created so much for them.
Even Liverpool are finding this out now too with losing Mane, Diaz is a good player but he doesn't have the same acceleration Mane had that opened up a lot of space for Liverpool, and he's also quite predictable in that he greatly prefers to cut inside and shoot.

Josh 76

He's obviously not an £84m player, but then we knew that. He lacks strength and that means that even if he tricks his way past a player he can get moved off the ball anyway. And he's nippy but doesn't have enough raw pace to get himself completely away from defenders sometimes.

That said, he's got enough skill to worry defences and provide a right side threat, so he'll be good for us. We just need to be realistic with our expectations.
Was this copied and pasted from when we signed Ronaldo in 2003?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Gradually it seems the playing style of teams is moving away from the old winger who would skill his defender to the line and put in a cross. More emphasis on overlapping and working your way Into the box.

KjaAnd

I really hope he works out for us but I must admit I fear he's too weak physically for the PL. Like Sancho (and Amad), he doesn't seem to have the acceleration to go past defenders. He does have more dribbling ability but I'm not sure that's going to cut it in the PL.

ETH86

Supports
Ajax
Well well well...what happened to the hyped sentiment? I thought everybody thought he was the next Neymar?! Wouldn't worry too much, panic if he plays like this for 10/15 matches in a row.

evil_geko

He plays like I expected him to, will take him a while to get used to the league, new team etc. He also has very high ceiling to develop, still young with great talent. Why would anyone expect him to tear teams apart straight away. Stop having expectations based on how much player is bought for, that is incredibly silly.

flameinthesun

He seems closer to Sancho than Rashford in terms of play. Reckon we only start to get the best out of both when we start to have more possession in games.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He plays like I expected him to, will take him a while to get used to the league, new team etc. He also has very high ceiling to develop, still young with great talent. Why would anyone expect him to tear teams apart straight away. Stop having expectations based on how much player is bought for, that is incredibly silly.
Sorry, but how much for a player that tears teams apart right away ? 300 million ? 400 ?

Luka Mora

I never expected him to rip things up so I'm not surprised or disappointed with his performances so far. He has tenacity, work rate, a great cross on him, and can pull off a nice trick or two but having watched him at Ajax, I know he's far from being the next neymar, or ronaldo 2.0 which is some of the things I've heard, which is probably from those who only seen him through edited youtube highlights.

Reactions: Invictus
Proof if ever needed that many on this forum are bat shit crazy.

He’s trained for less than 2 weeks with his new team, played two games, and has a goal vs. Arsenal.

Absolute fecking numpties.

Deery

Dreary
I think he’s looked good since coming and has showed his really high potential at times going forward. Looks to have more about him than Sancho..

Red Rash

Can't believe how impatient some fans are. I remember when Evra and Vidic first came to United and then looked nowhere near the right level for 6 months but eventually proved themselves to be great players.

Antony is a 22 year old in a new league with new team mates and since the board took so long to sign him had no time to adjust before starting a game and has played around 120 minutes so far.

We need to give him time to get used to playing with his new team mates and should have at least some patience with him before writing off the player

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It’s simple but it’s good to have a RW player that can do the simple cut in and shoot with his left foot thing.

hopefully he can improve on top of that bit by bit.

Chief123

He’s trained for less than 2 weeks with his new team, played two games, and has a goal vs. Arsenal.

It’s obvious to see which melts have literally never watched him until he came here.

“He can’t take on a player”. :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Good to see it only took 2 matches to convince some of you he's an overrated cnut. white text

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

1) Doesn't have the accelerating to get past defenders regularly, as you saw today.
You said 'regularly' and 'as you saw today' in the same sentence. You are basing what he can and can't do on a regular basis, based on what you saw in one game?

Your statement is ridiculous by the way, he does have very good acceleration and uses it to get past defenders on a regular basis.

Also the bolded, I don't think you watched him very often at Ajax if you are making them kind of statements.

NLunited

We didn‘t buy him to go past defenders with speed, but as an inverted winger with a great skill set. It will take to see the best of him.

Like Sancho, he‘s best when we are in possession trying to find openings.

Chief123

You said 'regularly' and 'as you saw today' in the same sentence. You are basing what he can and can't do on a regular basis, based on what you saw in one game?

Your statement is ridiculous by the way, he does have very good acceleration and uses it to get past defenders on a regular basis.

Also the bolded, I don't think you watched him very often at Ajax if you are making them kind of statements.
It’s amusing to see when people pretend to have watched a player and provide a “detailed analysis” of their findings before they became a Utd player.

This is the same poster saying this in the Antony transfer thread before we bought him:

Never watched him, if our scouts recommend him he must be shite
Now he’s gone back in time and watched him
play at Ajax

Red00012

They want him to fail so they can say I told you so to a forum where the majority of people have never met each other.

rooney2009

He is going to be great but he probably needs a striker that can probably hold up play like Martial and they can play all the fancy stuff together

marktan

It’s amusing to see when people pretend to have watched a player and provide a “detailed analysis” of their findings before they became a Utd player.

This is the same poster saying this in the Antony transfer thread before we bought him:

Now he’s gone back in time and watched him
play at Ajax
.. I went back and watched his match performances at Ajax (every touch in the games). I didn't do it before we singed him because he was just a random player, I did as the links between us and him strengthened.

That's my opinion of him, you can disagree but you don't have to be so annoying in every single one of your replies. 99% of your posts are criticising other posters.

I bet I've watched him more than 90% of the caf, including a lot of the posters in this thread. I said the same as much about Sancho and his lack of acceleration and got the exact same replies as the ones here.

Chief123

.. I went back and watched his match performances at Ajax (every touch in the games). I didn't do it before we singed him because he was just a random player, I did as the links between us and him strengthened.

That's my opinion of him, you can disagree but you don't have to be so annoying in every single one of your replies. 99% of your posts are criticising other posters.

I bet I've watched him more than 90% of the caf, including a lot of the posters in this thread. I said the same as much about Sancho and his lack of acceleration and got the exact same replies as the ones here.
Yeah ok mate. You hadn’t watched him at all before we signed him but you decided to go back and watch all his games once we did. :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I bet I've watched him more than 90% of the caf
From "Never watched him" post in April to "I've watched him more than 90% of the caf" and he was injured from around March to July :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

If you watched him that much, you must surely hate him more than me! :D

Chief123

From "Never watched him" post in April to "I've watched him more than 90% of the caf" and he was injured from around March to July :lol:
Whats hilarious is he never watched him when he posted in April after which Antony never played for Ajax again last season. Yet he’s watched him more than 90% of the caf and declared he went back and watched all his games after we signed him. :lol:

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Has played around 60minutes of PL football and 70 minutes of EPL, first one his debut against the team that is at the top of the table and he scored and the second together with teammates that have not played this year at all and against a good Spanish team that loves to have possession and control the game. We didn't have a lot of fast balls out to him so that he could have the extra second to get past his defender. Many of the passes to him was directed on his body so he needed to stop his run to get the ball and not keep his pace.

But, I will agree, IF it's really necessary to judge a 22 years old that joined the club 10 days ago, that he has not been world class. He has not dominated the game or the defenders. He has not been involved as much as one would hoped. BUT he has scored, he has showed that he will give his all for this club and that he is more then happy to be here, he has been pressing and running and trying to get in to spaces where he will be more effective.

Both Martinez and Malacia didn't have their best games against Brighton and Brentford, but we have faith and still believed that their time will come. And it didn't take long after the Brentford game before they both showed us how good and important they are. And so will Antony! Just give the boy time and not to much pressure, specially not after 2 games.

marktan

Whats hilarious is he never watched him when he posted in April after which Antony never played for Ajax again last season. Yet he’s watched him more than 90% of the caf and declared he went back and watched all his games after we signed him. :lol:
:lol:

It seems like neither of you can read, well to be expected.

And yeah the 90% bar isn't very high, it's probably even higher given most of the caf won't have seen much of him. I watched around 10 full game performances (all his touches) and all his assists and goals in the last 2 seasons. How much have you guys seen him?

But the argument is pointless, let's come back in 6 months and re assess. I'll quote you then.

EngimaMK

He'll be good. Want proof???

I signed him for my FIFA man utd team team and he is currently the PL top snorer after 4 games with 5 goals.

Simples.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

And yeah the 90% bar isn't very high, it's probably even higher given most of the caf won't have seen much of him. I watched around 10 full game performances (all his touches) and all his assists and goals in the last 2 seasons. How much have you guys seen him?

But the argument is pointless, let's come back in 6 months and re assess. I'll quote you then.
Dig deeper :lol:

Last edited:

Chief123

What’s funny is you trying to dig yourself out of a hole you dug and got outed for bullsh1tting. :lol:

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets

2) He greatly prefers to cut inside, almost all his goals and assists from cutting inside.
3) He's used to playing against ass defenders in the Dutch league, both in terms of shape and physical ability. What worked there won't work here.

He'll still be a useful player because he has quality in his pass and his finish and works hard, but he gives us a similar problem to Sancho, in that neither can regularly get past players, which is absolutely crucial against teams that sit back. Look at Ousmane Dembele the other day for Barca, he's gone before the defenders even have a chance to think and created so much for them.
Even Liverpool are finding this out now too with losing Mane, Diaz is a good player but he doesn't have the same acceleration Mane had that opened up a lot of space for Liverpool, and he's also quite predictable in that he greatly prefers to cut inside and shoot.
If you think Antony doesn't have accelaration, you haven't watched him play.

GMoore23

This thread has gone down hill quickly.

The guy had an extremely interrupted pre season and what we're seeing currently is a total lack of match fitness.

I won't even begin to judge him properly until October at the earliest.

Gurtej

Bloody hell….. the guy played 30 minutes and all these football experts who have never kicked a ball came out with their analysis…

Status
Not open for further replies.