5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

luke511

I can see it clicking into place for him in a season or two, like it did with Nani.

croadyman

Make him wear a slipper on his left foot during training so he has no choice but to use his right. His one footed play hampers a lot of attacks
Yeah especially when the likes of Pellistri and Amad (back from loan) offer more

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Yeah especially when the likes of Pellistri and Amad (back from loan) offer more
I will give Antony credit for his work ethic when we were defending. He was far better supporting his FB than Rashford.

But for what are we lacking on the right wing, which we have done for years, is a directness and a constant crossing threat. He can severely limit phases of play

croadyman

I will give Antony credit for his work ethic when we were defending. He was far better supporting his FB than Rashford.

But for what are we lacking on the right wing, which we have done for years, is a directness and a constant crossing threat. He can severely limit phases of play
Yeah IF those two I mentioned or Sancho can't do it then maybe we will need 8 players for squad to compete which is mad

lsd

The Oracle
Poor again he created absolutely nothing and really shows our play down.

I don't know why any of our players even bother going into the penalty box when he is on the ball as there's zero chance he is going to play it in.

Its weird as there's obviously skill there but he just cannot do the simple things and cross or pass.

Worked hard but if this is his best he is a poor signing

croadyman

I don't know why any of our players even bother going into the penalty box when he is on the ball as there's zero chance he is going to play it in.

Its weird as there's obviously skill there but he just cannot do the simple things and cross or pass.

Totally agree it's hard to not worry that the penny will ever drop with him. Not even sure it happens with a quality RB

Skills

Snitch
I rewatched this, I honestly think Wout and Rashford making the same run and being far from him didn't help.
He needs to at least try and commit his man there. It's just so, so easy to force him back because he has no ability to actually take his man on.

croadyman

He needs to at least try and commit his man there. It's just so, so easy to force him back because he has no ability to actually take his man on.
Yeah Erik needs to really drill this into him over pre season along with using right foot,otherwise he is never gonna establish himself as a top player here

Skills

Snitch
Yeah Erik needs to really drill this into him over pre season along with using right foot,otherwise he is never gonna establish himself as a top player here
I don't think any drilling is going to help. You either have the ability to beat your man (thus the confidence to do so) or you don't.

It's the position the likes of Giggs, Ronaldo, Nani, Valencia, Martial and Rashford thrived in - when they're 1v1 knowing there's tons of open space in behind. Its a dream scenario for a quality winger, but a nightmare one for Antony.

Honestly, if he wasn't so weak and small - he could have a future as a left back.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
On that, I won't argue. You are absolutely right. When a clear pass isn't "on", he always goes for the safest option.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

He played in weghorst for an easy chance he didnt even test the gk on. it was our best chance imo.

SirScholes

Then you should be asking why the game wasn't won?
Because nutmegs don’t win games ?

we lost because our best players didn’t play well, and when they don’t players like antony aren’t good to make up the difference. He’s a passenger

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Because nutmegs don’t win games ?

we lost because our best players didn’t play well, and when they don’t players like antony aren’t good to make up the difference. He’s a passenger
No we lost because our players in the first phase can't effectively build play through thirds against teams who press us high, hence we struggle to get out of our own half.

SirScholes

No we lost because our players in the first phase can't effectively build play through thirds against teams who press us high, hence we struggle to get out of our own half.
And the players who we got on the ball in attacking situations did nothing
Rashford and Bruno were poor, granted, that’s going to happen from time to time
Weg is just shite
And Antony (who most people say played alright) doesn’t offer any kind of threat unless it’s that curling shot from 20+ yards

DownRiver

Why does he always slow down our attacks? Why does he always cut in congested places?

You would have thought Ten Haag would have improved him?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It seemed a mistake to take him off as Sancho was obviously worse, but I got the feeling that beating Dan Burn meant more to him than beating Newcastle and it wouldn't surprise me if the bench picked up on that.

redshaw

He was one of the few that were trying hard and at least occupying Newcastle, I can understand why he was visibly upset at being taken off but also why ETH tried to change things. I think we were better with Antony than without. Not good enough as a team either way though.

His assist for Case shows what he can do but we have to start keeping the ball. We can do better with Case and Eriksen back.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And the players who we got on the ball in attacking situations did nothing
Rashford and Bruno were poor, granted, that’s going to happen from time to time
Weg is just shite
And Antony (who most people say played alright) doesn’t offer any kind of threat unless it’s that curling shot from 20+ yards
If you can't effectively progress play from the first phase it will effect the attacking players because there won't be overload potential hence a lack of combination play. So by default we resort to a transitional game which suits players like Rashford and Bruno who looks for the killer pass at every opportunity. But Antony was still good considering the short comings of the collective as a unit.

Upgrades in goal, RB and central midfield will get us closer to becoming a more proactive compact team with potential to better control games. And the likes of Antony and especially Martinez, will be better utilised in possession due to their ability in possession.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
He had the beating of Burn at left back (and has done in the other 2 games against Newcastle this season) - would like to see this level of intent in every game, seems to be better suited to games where he's being pressed / has less time on the ball. Ten Hag has been great with subs in the past but Antony off for Sancho was a big miss.

Eric_the_Red99

Why does he always slow down our attacks? Why does he always cut in congested places?

He strikes me as a difficult player to coach, as he seems like he already believes he’s a top tier player with nothing to prove to anyone. Arrogance can sometimes be a useful quality, but not when you’re a young player who has basically achieved nothing in the game yet. I fear that giving him such huge wages at this stage in his career was a mistake.

SirScholes

If you can't effectively progress play from the first phase it will effect the attacking players because there won't be overload potential hence a lack of combination play. So by default we resort to a transitional game which suits players like Rashford and Bruno who looks for the killer pass at every opportunity. But Antony was still good considering the short comings of the collective as a unit.

Upgrades in goal, RB and central midfield will get us closer to becoming a more proactive compact team with potential to better control games. And the likes of Antony and especially Martinez, will be better utilised in possession due to their ability in possession.
He’s a spurs level player mate, tidy but absolutely nothing special at all, and 100 mil is a joke

Yakuza_devils

The way St Maximin run was so difficult to mark as he can go both sides and use both feet while executing it at very high pace.

Looking at our 85M signings who lack pace and can only use his left leg it was so easy for the opponent to mark him out of the game week in week out.

Hope whoever approve this 85M signing see something in him that the majority here can't.

Rockets Redglare

The way St Maximin run was so difficult to mark as he can go both sides and use both feet while executing it at very high pace.

Looking at our 85M signings who lack pace and can only use his left leg it was so easy for the opponent to mark him out of the game week in week out.

Hope whoever approve this 85M signing see something in him that the majority here can't.
Why are you constantly quoting his price tag you weirdo? Do you do the same for every other player?

Bebestation

Yes the problem is that was it !
you cant create just 1 chance haha yes rashford and Bruno were poor
But this was Antony’s norm
He played in mctominay too who rumbled it in to a corner. He also beat the RB twice from the right which he never does & its why many think he was better & shouldnt have been subbed.

redNATION

Just nowhere near productive enough to be a winger at the top level, unless something changes dramatically. He has 7 goals and 1 assist this season, here’s a compare against a select few players G/A:

Salah 23/8 (and this is a bad season for him)
Mahrez 12/8
Saka 13/10
Martinelli 13/4
Almiron 11/3
Son 10/4 (having a bad season too)

Its no wonder Rashford is exhausted, he’s carrying the attack single handedly. It really isn’t much of an ask to expect an 85m player to contribute a bit more rather than the occasional worldy.

Edit: and just to add, most of the players above are “difficult” to play against, full backs hate coming against them, Antony just doesn’t have that same fear factor.

Last edited:

theballisround

Because Rashford is always 2 seconds too slow and lost on the wing and Weghorst always comes short for Antony even though he has 0 technical skills to take the play further.

Look at Antony when he receives the ball, he always receives it with his head up looking at our strikers. He would like to play fast, but has nobody to do so with. There were 2 examples yesterday where he played brilliantly and quickly because our forwards were well set up, the obvious one being the pass for Weghorst awful finish.

Bebestation

Just nowhere near productive enough to be a winger at the top level, unless something changes dramatically. He has 7 goals and 1 assist this season, here’s a compare against a select few players G/A:

Salah 23/8 (and this is a bad season for him)
Mahrez 12/8
Saka 13/10
Martinelli 13/4
Almiron 11/3
Son 10/4 (having a bad season too)

Its no wonder Rashford is exhausted, he’s carrying the attack single handedly. It really isn’t much of an ask to expect an 85m player to contribute a bit more rather than the occasional worldy.
What is Salahs first season stats at chelsea? Think antony can improve to some of those stats next year. Are any of those in debut season
?

redNATION

What is Salahs first season stats at chelsea? Think antony can improve to some of those stats next year. Are any of those in debut season
?
Salah didn’t cost 85m, in fact none of those players did, is more than 1 assist really a lot to ask from your marquee signing? Why do we need to wait another season for that?

Bebestation

Salah didn’t cost 85m, in fact none of those players did, is more than 1 assist really a lot to ask from your marquee signing? Why do we need to wait another season for that?
Because we have no stiker, a wc striker scores yesterdays antony assist.

lsd

The Oracle
Because Rashford is always 2 seconds too slow and lost on the wing and Weghorst always comes short for Antony even though he has 0 technical skills to take the play further.

Look at Antony when he receives the ball, he always receives it with his head up looking at our strikers. He would like to play fast, but has nobody to do so with. There were 2 examples yesterday where he played brilliantly and quickly because our forwards were well set up, the obvious one being the pass for Weghorst awful finish.

That's nonsense. He cuts in sunny because he had no right foot and it's nothing to do with any of of the other players.

He just slows us down completely and his passing and crossing is far below average

El Jefe

We would still need creativity from Antony even if we were a possession based side. This isn't Ajax where they can roll out of bed and win most games in the Dutch league.

You can talk tactics all you want but its quality players that make a team especially in attacking areas. Our current playstyle doesn't fully utilise Martinez's ability in possession but its absolutely clear he's one of our top performers. Antony's lack of ability in creating and consistently beating any LB not named Dan Burn will be a limitation to the side no matter how much possession we have.

From your posts you've created a niche role in your mind that only seems to exist for Antony but to me it just sounds like a way of excusing mediocrity. Keeping possession is all well and good but all attackers no matter the system are required to be productive, especially with direct actions in the attacking third. Blaming the RB, GK and CMs is funny because they could also blame him for creating feck all and being the most predictable player in the league.

Jeffthered

We're better with him in the side, no amount of stats hides that
And that tells you everything about the quality of our squad.

Because this is a limited player. Few goals. Even fewer assists. Consistently.

Just fancy flicks, and total theatre, excessive drama and on the whole, what do you actually get? There's nothing there. Nothing. He is not an effective footballer.

He can join Sancho in my opinion. Neither will give Man Utd what they need. Not good enough to be at a club like this.

I like ETH, but I think he got this one absolutely wrong.

Eric_the_Red99

That's nonsense. He cuts in sunny because he had no right foot and it's nothing to do with any of of the other players.

He just slows us down completely and his passing and crossing is far below average
I remember similar arguments being made in defence of Pogba - ‘no, he’s great, it’s just everyone else in the team needs to play better/a different role/a different position to get the best out of him. And frankly, Antony is nowhere near Pogba’s ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.