Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I can see it clicking into place for him in a season or two, like it did with Nani.
Nani was one of the most frustrating players to watch - sublime one game and shite the next

I hope he settles better than him

OT_United

I seriously don't get the agenda against this guy.
Not his fault he cost £85m.
I thought he was the only player yesterday with some energy and desire.
We are absolutely a better team with Antony in there.

Oranges038

Just nowhere near productive enough to be a winger at the top level, unless something changes dramatically. He has 7 goals and 1 assist this season, here’s a compare against a select few players G/A:

Salah 23/8 (and this is a bad season for him)
Mahrez 12/8
Saka 13/10
Martinelli 13/4
Almiron 11/3
Son 10/4 (having a bad season too)

Its no wonder Rashford is exhausted, he’s carrying the attack single handedly. It really isn’t much of an ask to expect an 85m player to contribute a bit more rather than the occasional worldy.

Edit: and just to add, most of the players above are “difficult” to play against, full backs hate coming against them, Antony just doesn’t have that same fear factor.

It's his first PL season ffs.

What is Salahs first season stats at chelsea? Think antony can improve to some of those stats next year. Are any of those in debut season
?
1st full PL seasons year / games / goals / assists.

Salah - 13/14 - 10/2/1
Mahrez - 14/15 - 30/4/3
Saka - 19/20 - 26/1/5
Martinelli - 19/20 - 14/3/0
Almiron - 19/20 - 36/4/2
Son - 15/16 - 28/4/1

Antony - 22/23 - 14/3/0

Seriously, it's his first season he's playing ahead of two rubbish full backs and has no striker in the middle to actually create for.

Swedish_Plumber

Only attacker that showed any hint he was actually a Man Utd player yesterday. Not sure why he’s been hung out to dry by some.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
And that tells you everything about the quality of our squad.

Because this is a limited player. Few goals. Even fewer assists. Consistently.

Just fancy flicks, and total theatre, excessive drama and on the whole, what do you actually get? There's nothing there. Nothing. He is not an effective footballer.

He can join Sancho in my opinion. Neither will give Man Utd what they need. Not good enough to be at a club like this.

I like ETH, but I think he got this one absolutely wrong.
I wouldn't write off a young wide player in their first EPL season playing in a team with no striker.

Strats

Was decent.

Although fecking infuriating when he just stops and turns back when he has continents of space to go in the inside.

Crimson King

He needs a fullback that will stretch the opposition down the outside gives him more room to operate on the inside, Dalot does not do this. AWB for all his flaws is better at it and it suits Antony more.

I think both Dalot and AWB need to go, I'll hold on to Antony until he's actually playing down that side with a half decent full back.
I agree that we probably need someone better than both of them, but before the WC and his injury Dalot was getting really high up the pitch and offering the kind of threat AWB just can't because of his level of technique. AWB has been better recently, but still isn't suited to playing in a way that lets us control games and keep possession, especially without Casemiro and Eriksen in the middle. The Dalot/Anthony partnership looked like it was going to be quite fruitful, especially as they both allowed us to play out from the back better and keep the ball higher up the pitch.

Dalot just really seems to be playing within himself since the injury, but you could say that about a lot of them at the moment. Especially the squad players. We need them to really put in some fight to make up for the drop in quality, but they're just not doing it. I can't tell whether that's because the manager can't motivate them, or because they've gotten away with being overpaid and mediocre for too long.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was good yesteday especially in context to the teams performance. Needs a fullback who can over/under lap.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He shouldn't have been subbed off yesterday but he frustrates the Hell out of me.

At one point Burn and ASM broke for Newcastle and attacked down our right. They lost the ball around the start of our half and were out position. Ball is played down the flank to Antony and the centre half moves across to cover. Bear in mind there is no full back or winger. Antony runs forward then about 5 yards from their box stops, cuts back inside and nothing happens, Newcastle recover.

It's one part but I went mental watching it. Just take the fecking man on, it was the centre half!!I mean for goodness sake, if you aren't gonna take on one of those then you will never try and go by anyone. It's so maddening to see it happen time and time again.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He wasn't bad yesterday (nor was he great either) but I very much wish we hadn't signed him. When you spend 85m you need genuine top class talent and he's just not that.

Erik and the club have had a mare with this one.

wangyu

He was good for 15 min then turned into obscurity like the rest.

Rashford was even worse but he can score a goal so it was Antony who was taken off. Shows enough that it is all about getting goals.

poleglass red

I seriously don't get the agenda against this guy.
Not his fault he cost £85m.
I thought he was the only player yesterday with some energy and desire.
We are absolutely a better team with Antony in there.
he didn't exactly show much desire to get back and help out his full back, for the modern winger, that has to be part of your role.

Lecland07

Really needs to be contributing as his productivity has been dire.

He has less goals and assists than Martial this season, which is terrible. Martial has only played 490 minutes (3 goals 2 assists) to Antony's 1142 mins (3 goals). Garnacho also has more and he has only played 449 minutes (2 goals & 2 assists). Casemiro has more and Fred is equal to him.

There is no threat there for the opposition to be worried about. He is very easy to defend against.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
he didn't exactly show much desire to get back and help out his full back, for the modern winger, that has to be part of your role.
Are you serious? He put in a very solid defensive shift. The contrast between his defensive efforts and our winger on the opposite flank couldn’t have been more obvious.

Marwood

I like him when he drifts around. Which is rare.

If we're looking to mix it up in the 10 position I think he'd be a handful there for the opposition.

SAFMUTD

I know he isn't particularly fast but watching him yesterday against Burn who isn't fast at all was frustrating.

There were times when he got the space to take him and he sprinted got himself a yard or two of separation and instead of pushing it to the line he slowed down and started stepping on the ball doing some kind of roll with it just giving Burn time to catch up.

He seems a strong player for his size and has a low center of gravity. For guys like Burn playing guys like Antony should be a nightmare but he made it easy for him.

The lack of use of his right foot is concerning to say the least. We all know he's going to cut out to the inside, it's became so predictable that it makes the defenders job so easy. He either cuts inside to try that curled shot or he passed back. There's not threat there, for someone of his price and so highly regarded I expect way way better.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Said it at the start of the season, all the trickery (If you can even call it that) is utterly pointless. Great for Youtube compilations when you're doing it against Eredivisie wank but even bog-standard PL fullbacks will laugh you off the wing with it.

Either he changes the way he plays or he's out of here in 18 months.

Skills

Snitch
Said it at the start of the season, all the trickery (If you can even call it that) is utterly pointless. Great for Youtube compilations when you're doing it against Eredivisie wank but even bog-standard PL fullbacks will laugh you off the wing with it.

Either he changes the way he plays or he's out of here in 18 months.
Go back and watch those YouTube compilations and he struggles to beat the Eridivisie wank with his trickery as well. I've never seen a fullback genuinely buy a feint off him.

Genuinely the most underwhelming YouTube compilation of an allegedly "exciting" attacker I'd ever seen.

poleglass red

Are you serious? He put in a very solid defensive shift. The contrast between his defensive efforts and our winger on the opposite flank couldn’t have been more obvious.
Put in a solid defensive shift where, in the attacking half, he certainly didn't track back into our defensive third and help out his full back who was clearly struggling at times. Watch the much maligned Grealish for City v Liverpool, and see how much he drops back and helps out and contrast that to Antony. It's all well and good looking busy in the attacking third but when their full backs attack, he too often for me doesn't track back

jem

It’s amazing how people see what they want to see with certain players. For all the complaints I might have about Antony, graft/hustle isn’t one of them.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Looking forward to him with Anthony Martial.

I think he looked better at the start of the season with a better striker to play with that can play him on goal compared to whatever Weghorst offers.

poleglass red

It’s amazing how people see what they want to see with certain players. For all the complaints I might have about Antony, graft/hustle isn’t one of them.
that applies the opposite way as well. For a player who cost 85 million or so, his return hasn't been great. Not writing him off, and I don't think any reasonable fan is, it's his first season in a team in transition, but we can stand back and be critical. Showing what you call graft/hustle in our the attacking half is fine, no-one saying he doesn't do that. What he doesn't do enough yet though, is the hard yards tracking back attacking full backs who are in our half or help out with wingers causing our full backs issues. He's young and he'll improve in that regard.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We would still need creativity from Antony even if we were a possession based side. This isn't Ajax where they can roll out of bed and win most games in the Dutch league.

You can talk tactics all you want but its quality players that make a team especially in attacking areas. Our current playstyle doesn't fully utilise Martinez's ability in possession but its absolutely clear he's one of our top performers. Antony's lack of ability in creating and consistently beating any LB not named Dan Burn will be a limitation to the side no matter how much possession we have.

From your posts you've created a niche role in your mind that only seems to exist for Antony but to me it just sounds like a way of excusing mediocrity. Keeping possession is all well and good but all attackers no matter the system are required to be productive, especially with direct actions in the attacking third. Blaming the RB, GK and CMs is funny because they could also blame him for creating feck all and being the most predictable player in the league.
What do you measure creativity by?

The head coach we've appointed places emphasis on a certain method of play where he wants to exert zonal and positional control with the aim of playing vertical passes. And the current Man Utd isn't even Brighton on the ball, hence we struggle to 'create plays' from the first phase which would allow us to create plays as a collective unit. Creativity isn't only measured by making the final pass before a goal but rather creativity begins from the goalkeeper within the principles in question which have become the norm at Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Brighton etc.

Quality players within a system of play make the whole greater than the sum of it's parts. And it's important to attempt to understand who and where the problems lay with, which hinders us becoming a more proactive attacking team within the principles of play I've already explained in various posts since yesterday.

So it's not about me creating a niche role in my mind but rather some of you who refuse to acknowledge the real issues which hinder us in possession (and have done for sometime) where we play reactive football with the goalkeeper being a ever present in it all, which creates a style of play that is based on a transitional game rather than a more controlled method of play which has been seen at the likes of City and Liverpool in the last 5 years and currently Arsenal. Those teams have a build up phase, which starts from the keeper, hence they can player higher up the pitch, control possession and apply the press and counter press effectively.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Looking forward to him with Anthony Martial.

I think he looked better at the start of the season with a better striker to play with that can play him on goal compared to whatever Weghorst offers.
Don't do it to yourself...you'll see it no more than twice.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Put in a solid defensive shift where, in the attacking half, he certainly didn't track back into our defensive third and help out his full back who was clearly struggling at times. Watch the much maligned Grealish for City v Liverpool, and see how much he drops back and helps out and contrast that to Antony. It's all well and good looking busy in the attacking third but when their full backs attack, he too often for me doesn't track back
:wenger:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Don't do it to yourself...you'll see it no more than twice.
I personally can give Antony time - primarily because he is better than Sancho IMO in his first season.

Feel like I’m more irritated by Sancho and am done with him.

Skills

Snitch
Blaming the RB for his shit play is dumb. He's the one who actually sets the starting position of his full back. He hugs the touch line, so naturally the fullbacks going to occupy the inside channel. This is common sense.

They actually do move out, when he goes inside but he has no idea how to use an overlap because everyone knows as soon as he's anywhere the 16 yard box he wants to let off a wasteful/feeble shot into the far corner.

Look at the way Rashford and Shaw link up on the other hand. Rashford takes up the inside channel which naturally means Shaw has to take up the overlapping position. But they also switch it around. This all quite clearly by design.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
There’s no point. Some have decided to only be negative about him.

SirScholes

He played in mctominay too who rumbled it in to a corner. He also beat the RB twice from the right which he never does & its why many think he was better & shouldnt have been subbed.
What good is beating the full back if you then don’t deliver a cross ?

ScholesyTheWise

Hes a United player. He plays with desire and hunger. More than most of that squad.
So does Weghorst.

a "United player" should be of the ilk of Casemiro, Rooney ... hunger and desire combined with being excellent at their respective jobs,
seeing as they're startes for Man Utd.

Antony is a winger who excels defensively. This should never be good enough for us.

Yes, he's new to the league and by default deserves some time. The price we paid for him is not his fault.
But feck me, he's shown almost nothing to make me think he could hack it in 1-2 seasons' time.

I still don't understand what setup he needs in order to show us his best ability.
And what his prime actually looks like.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So does Weghorst.

a "United player" should be of the ilk of Casemiro, Rooney ... hunger and desire combined with being excellent at their respective jobs,
seeing as they're startes for Man Utd.

Antony is a winger who excels defensively. This should never be good enough for us.
Stop making stuff up

Status
Not open for further replies.