5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxNL

Great assist. That's signature Antony for me, cutting inside and playing a teammate through.

Jeffthered

I see many are getting a little carried away here. Forest, Everton were great games for us and him, as both sides were not so great. Keane said yesterday we have judge against the better teams, and this is what I always judge our players against, the better teams. I expect us to beat v poor sides (Everton were woeful... and Forest were quite, quite open).

What I did see in him though was see him go outside and use his right foot, and it surprised everyone... maybe even himself. Antony has to begin to reach the consistency, effectiveness and quality of Saka, Mahrez. That's still some way away, but at least he is playing a little better.

But there's no hype here. Let's see if he can sustain this through end of the season.

SAF is the GOAT

I'm really starting to get frustrated with him trying to curl the ball to the far corner 20 times a game, its really unbearable.

saw him beat defenders in 1v1 situations with so ease and now he doesn't do it at all.

In a game he always has some situations where he can trick a defender to believe he's trying to shoot with his left but take advantage on that for something else, he can use that.

Smores

I see many are getting a little carried away here. Forest, Everton were great games for us and him, as both sides were not so great. Keane said yesterday we have judge against the better teams, and this is what I always judge our players against, the better teams. I expect us to beat v poor sides (Everton were woeful... and Forest were quite, quite open).

What I did see in him though was see him go outside and use his right foot, and it surprised everyone... maybe even himself. Antony has to begin to reach the consistency, effectiveness and quality of Saka, Mahrez. That's still some way away, but at least he is playing a little better.

But there's no hype here. Let's see if he can sustain this through end of the season.
I think people are aware it was only forest but as you say it's what he did that is deserving of discussion.

He changed the way he usually plays in that second half and showed he can at least do it (against a shite team). Now we have to see if he can add that to his game consistently against better team's.

I wonder how much of it was a tactical instruction from Ten Hag to balance the loss of Rashford. Either way I think it's an important step in his development.

L1nk

Maybe so but at least he showed up still despite everyone constantly slagging him for a while now, the likes of Sancho did nothing.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
The one thing I've really liked about him is his resilience and tenacity. He's been getting a lot of shite from pundits, fans (both united and opposition) and players. Remember that walking lamp post dan burn trying to stick his boot in multiple times in the league cup final, yet Antony just kept going, never shyed away from the challenge.

Yes his decision making can be improved and I believe he will get there but not because of his talent, its because he's a fighter and he will perserve and not hide. In fact, this is evident from all of ten Hags signings (i'm not including wout on this list as technically he isn't a signing :) ).

Anyway, I'm pleased for Antony and i'm glad he's slowly becoming an important player for us. Long may it continue!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Bruno played well but make no mistake, we won the game because of Antony
I disagree. Anthony had a good game no doubt and did have a much more impactful second half, but we won the game because Bruno and Eriksen were absolutely top draw and controlled the game. Without Bruno in particular we would never have created any of our best chances, including the first Antony goal.

Oranges038

He's gradually growing into it and being less predictable, went down the outside a few time yesterday too. He's got all the skills to be a top player. The way ETH has put AWB out there I think helps him a lot more than having Dalot on that side would.

I think a if a new better right back is brought in over the summer, we'll see a different beast next year.

crossy1686

career ending
I don’t like his reaction towards Maguire, it does not seem respectful. Team spirit gents!
Fantastic assist btw!

edit: the reaction could be an inside joke of course
I think it says more about Maguire alienating himself from the rest of the group. There was talk of rifts since Ronaldo joined and we've seen him and Bruno go at it multiple times on the pitch. I would suspect there's a lack of respect in general for Maguire as some of the lads don't believe he's good enough or deserves to be where he currently is, let alone telling them they need to improve and what not.

crossy1686

career ending
All he has to do is add goals to his game and the price we paid looks totally worth it. He's a rough diamond for sure but I see more in him than I've seen in most wingers that we've signed or that have come to the PL in recent years.

Telsim

Think I saw him cross with his right foot at one point. Had to pinch myself to make sure I hadn't fallen asleep.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The one strong aspect of his game since he's been here , irrespective of his form, has been his strength in keeping possession of the ball and that alone is one of the reasons why , though I've been critical in the past, prefer him in the starting 11 more often than not. The ball just sticks with him and now he's offering more in a unpredictable creative manner. Really good to see.

Mike Smalling

I love to see more of the playmaking from right wing that he does. It wasn't just his assist, there were two or three other really good passes he made that led to chances. When he eventually gets to a points where he chooses the right solution in terms of passing, shooting or dribbling, he will be a really good player for us. He will always wind people up with his attitude and tricks, but that's just who he is. He has the mental fortitude to deal with both the opposition and the pundits, though.

Jeffthered

All he has to do is add goals to his game and the price we paid looks totally worth it. He's a rough diamond for sure but I see more in him than I've seen in most wingers that we've signed or that have come to the PL in recent years.
I think he needs to really find out what his role is... he rarely gets in the six yard box (yesterday was a surprise to us all, and I hope he learns from that, there are goals galore when wide players arrive late...). But is he a creative player, like a Felix, who can commit a player, and create chances. Because he hardly ever crosses the ball (which frustrates the hell out of me...) yesterday, we had Bruno, Ericksen, Dalot... all put in crosses... why doesn't Antony cross the flamin' ball?

So he has a lot to develop, in addition to the need to score goals. Any Man Utd forward player (playing regularly) should be looking to hit 12-15 goals a season.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

You're right but you can only beat what's in front of you, so he deserves some praise especially (and that is the most exciting thing for me personally) that he recently got a bit more unpredictable. He still doesn't create near enough BUT at least gets himself into the right positions to do something (although he needs to be less selfish and he will easily double his contributions).

Our midfield (when complete) and all round play is so good it makes it quite easy for the wingers to attack as they often face isolated defenders, but at the same time you look at Sancho and wonder what he's actually doing other than keeping the ball. However, as you pointed out, it will not be that easy against the big boys and that's where Antony needs to do more, much more. Still, it's a good start. He's in good form (also physically) so that's interesting to see how he does next few games.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Take a moment to think back about the teams he scored his other goals against this season.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Take a moment to think back about the teams he scored his other goals against this season.
I pity people like that. Never fully enjoying things because they've got this bizarre fear of getting 'carried away' and looking silly.

romufc

The one strong aspect of his game since he's been here , irrespective of his form, has been his strength in keeping possession of the ball and that alone is one of the reasons why , though I've been critical in the past, prefer him in the starting 11 more often than not. The ball just sticks with him and now he's offering more in a unpredictable creative manner. Really good to see.
This. The one thing we lack in our team is the ability to retain possession in the final third or in transition. Its so key to our build up. When we play out the right side, he actually keeps the ball and moves the ball. We have seen so many times when we struggle to get it out the back, goes to our forward players and they are pressed off the ball, Antony is our only player that keeps the ball and keeps possession.

Even outside our box, he finds cute passes infield which sometimes opens the pitch up for a switch too.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It just seems like he's one of those players some people have taken an immediate dislike to and no matter how good his performances are going forward (like yesterday, where he was quality), they'll find a reason to give out about him. A real shame.

Jordan_mufc

His close control, ability to keep the ball in tight spaces and dribbling are exceptional. Most people who actually take time to watch him instead of looking for flaws could see that.

What we are seeing now is a stark improvement in his passing and decision making. He is going to be a wonderful player and has all the tools to be a world beater.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It just seems like he's one of those players some people have taken an immediate dislike to and no matter how good his performances are going forward (like yesterday, where he was quality), they'll find a reason to give out about him. A real shame.
It's probably because he looks like Charizard.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Controlling and dominating the play against opposition like those you list is something we've struggled to do more than beat or give bigger teams a game. Big games are a lot more about transitions and a very strict brief that players stick to to the wire. In many ways, those games are easier because they are automated. Whether you win or lose, most of the game is played on tracks. Antony has actually done better under those conditions than in games against supposed fodder. As his goal record will attest to.

Crushing teams that you're supposed to with full control is the hallmark of a team and set of players on the up and is a common springboard to doing the same to better teams. It's easy to say it's just this or that low-ranked team, but counting the times we've put such sides to the sword (sans Leeds) is a quick and easy count.

Consider these games acorns, for the sense of perspective and from them the potential for growth is often exponential if you can do what we did yesterday regularly.

You've also said people are getting carried away and then projected to the best wingers in the league as metrics by which he should be judged by? Saka isn't an £80m player, Mahrez most likely wasn't either when whatever he's actually paid and went for is tallied.

There's a reason the game yesterday is receiving glowing praise, and it's not because we won or scored goals. If it can be extrapolated upon, optimism for the future should grow, and rightly so.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That and his attitude / off the ball output which is top class.

crossy1686

career ending
I think he needs to really find out what his role is... he rarely gets in the six yard box (yesterday was a surprise to us all, and I hope he learns from that, there are goals galore when wide players arrive late...). But is he a creative player, like a Felix, who can commit a player, and create chances. Because he hardly ever crosses the ball (which frustrates the hell out of me...) yesterday, we had Bruno, Ericksen, Dalot... all put in crosses... why doesn't Antony cross the flamin' ball?

So he has a lot to develop, in addition to the need to score goals. Any Man Utd forward player (playing regularly) should be looking to hit 12-15 goals a season.
I think he’s a forward by trade but he isn’t good enough to play CF so he’s out wide as an inside forward instead. You can lose the ball often in that position and you rarely get punished for it. In an ideal world he’d have a better RB playing behind him who will under and overlap giving him the extra space to do some serious damage. I think part of the issue at the moment with us generally also is that even when we do cross, no one is breaking their neck to get on the end of it so him whipping in random crosses to the back post where no one is, is a total waste of time.

He could drag it back more to the edge of the box or wait for a late runner but he prefers to cut into that space himself and then his only option is to shoot because our general movement in and around the box is poor.

But there’s stuff for him to work on, he can definitely improve. I’ve been impressed with him over the last few weeks. He was playing in Holland not long ago and he also went to a World Cup this year but his energy never wanes, we’re a better team with him in it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Wow you really dislike the player.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Big games like Arsenal, City and Barcelona?

Status
Not open for further replies.