5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

poleglass red

Last couple of games he has really impressed. There was always going to be an an adjustment period for him, new team, new league, team in rebuild. I like that he a got an assist yesterday,, I also like that he scored a tap in as opposed to a worldie. He was in the right spot and that showed improvement. As others have said, it was Everton and Forest, but it's an improvement, the next improvement, is to bring that form versus the better teams now, which I think he'll do with the confidence he is currently playing with. Great to see his improvement though, he has been criticised on here, myself included in that.

Davie Moyes

I'm really starting to get frustrated with him trying to curl the ball to the far corner 20 times a game, its really unbearable.

saw him beat defenders in 1v1 situations with so ease and now he doesn't do it at all.

In a game he always has some situations where he can trick a defender to believe he's trying to shoot with his left but take advantage on that for something else, he can use that.
I would also like him to vary cutting in and playing a pass/through ball to someone in a better position or taking a near post shot to fool the opposition. However when there is nobody in a better position I have no problem with him going for that top corner as he has shown on multiple occasions that he can find that top corner. It's almost become his signature type of goal.

wangyu

If the players are even laughing with Maguire then it shows how much influence the media has in the ability to destroy someone. No matter how many mistakes he made on the pitch, there is no valid reason for the media to turn Maguire into a major scapegoat.

Now of course the media and their agenda against some people is nothing new. We all know how Lady Diana got killed, we saw how the media ridiculed and dehumanized Michael Jackson for 30+ years and how the media pretty much navigates how people should think about various trials and subjects.

I’m sure you can tell I’m not a fan of the media.

SER19

He's had a very good season. A lot of what he's good at - ball retention, work rate - are things people don't expect to see in an expensive brazilian winger, so perhaps some of these things go unnoticed. We're 100% a more balanced team with him in it. In terms of output, he's on course for 10 goals in a debut season in which he joined late and is looking less predictable lately. For a debut season at 22, its good and a better season than anything sancho has offered for example. I think we'd be correct to persist with him on RW and feel pretty confident we will have a brilliant asset in coming years

jem

I'm really starting to get frustrated with him trying to curl the ball to the far corner 20 times a game, its really unbearable.

saw him beat defenders in 1v1 situations with so ease and now he doesn't do it at all.

In a game he always has some situations where he can trick a defender to believe he's trying to shoot with his left but take advantage on that for something else, he can use that.
Antony has his best game yet and things are getting unbearable...

jem

If the players are even laughing with Maguire then it shows how much influence the media has in the ability to destroy someone. No matter how many mistakes he made on the pitch, there is no valid reason for the media to turn Maguire into a major scapegoat.

Now of course the media and their agenda against some people is nothing new. We all know how Lady Diana got killed, we saw how the media ridiculed and dehumanized Michael Jackson for 30+ years and how the media pretty much navigates how people should think about various trials and subjects.

Wandering into some slightly dodgy terrain here in your anti-media crusade.

honirelandboy

His work rate is phenomenal. Works harder than anyone on the team. You have to give him credit for that. He reminds me more of a Grealish type of player than a typical winger like Mahrez. He is only going to get better and better. It’s not his fault we paid that much for him but you can see the potential he has which is fantastic.

if we paid 40 million for him no one would be criticising him as much.

Brightonian

I would also like him to vary cutting in and playing a pass/through ball to someone in a better position or taking a near post shot to fool the opposition. However when there is nobody in a better position I have no problem with him going for that top corner as he has shown on multiple occasions that he can find that top corner. It's almost become his signature type of goal.
It's literally what he did for Dalot's goal.

I expect he is being allowed to try for these curlers a lot because he's scoring them in training. If that's the case, they will start to go in sooner or later. We certainly know he has them in his locker. But also, once defenders know you will shoot given the chance, they are forced to charge you down and that's what creates openings for through balls.

December_16

His work rate is phenomenal. Works harder than anyone on the team. You have to give him credit for that. He reminds me more of a Grealish type of player than a typical winger like Mahrez. He is only going to get better and better. It’s not his fault we paid that much for him but you can see the potential he has which is fantastic.

if we paid 40 million for him no one would be criticising him as much.
He cannot control his price tag, which has been stated a million times on here. He could only show his worth on the pitch, and he has done that in spades in his first season here. Onward and upward!

Mmm-Qatarian

You (and quite a few others in this thread) are reading far too much into this Maguire thing in my view. It seems that Antony is very close friends with Dalot; that makes perfect sense since they're both very close in age and (I assume) they both speak Portuguese. Equally, it'd be easy to imagine Antony and Maguire aren't as close since Maguire is around seven years older and, as far as I'm aware, does not speak Portuguese.

I really don't think there was anything intentionally disrespectful about Antony's reaction here; I think it's just a fairly natural (if rather comical) change in expression when interacting with one of your best mates as opposed to someone you're just not as close with. Equally, it's absolutely hilarious that some people have decided to take it as further proof that Maguire has no friends in the squad (which isn't true; it's quite well-known that he's mates with Shaw) and must therefore be a cnut behind the scenes.

AneRu

He's had a very good season. A lot of what he's good at - ball retention, work rate - are things people don't expect to see in an expensive brazilian winger, so perhaps some of these things go unnoticed. We're 100% a more balanced team with him in it. In terms of output, he's on course for 10 goals in a debut season in which he joined late and is looking less predictable lately. For a debut season at 22, its good and a better season than anything sancho has offered for example. I think we'd be correct to persist with him on RW and feel pretty confident we will have a brilliant asset in coming years
Ditto! He is frustrating because we were expecting a tear away winger but he isn't that and he has everything to become a right sided inside playmaker. There are signs that he is starting to understand his own game more and the variations are coming.

Next season he will become more influential especially if we add a top striker who will attack the goal more. Dalot's doesn't happen without Werghost on the pitch. The run he made opened up the defense by taking three or four players with. Now imagine if we have an actual finisher who is faster making those runs!

mu4c_20le

You (and quite a few others in this thread) are reading far too much into this Maguire thing in my view. It seems that Antony is very close friends with Dalot; that makes perfect sense since they're both very close in age and (I assume) they both speak Portuguese. Equally, it'd be easy to imagine Antony and Maguire aren't as close since Maguire is around seven years older and, as far as I'm aware, does not speak Portuguese.

I really don't think there was anything intentionally disrespectful about Antony's reaction here; I think it's just a fairly natural (if rather comical) change in expression when interacting with one of your best mates as opposed to someone you're just not as close with. Equally, it's absolutely hilarious that some people have decided to take it as further proof that Maguire has no friends in the squad (which isn't true; it's quite well-known that he's mates with Shaw) and must therefore be a cnut behind the scenes.
Not speaking the same language has never stopped anyone from celebrating with each other. And while Antony can be a bit of a cnut at times, he's an honest guy who doesn't hide or fake his emotions. It's pretty obvious that there is a lack of respect.

wangyu

Not speaking the same language has never stopped anyone from celebrating with each other. And while Antony can be a bit of a cnut at times, he's an honest guy who doesn't hide or fake his emotions. It's pretty obvious that there is a lack of respect.
It struck me as “everybody is against you and laughing with you so I do the same to you ” no trace of empathy for a team mate. Football rival fans have turned Maguire into a meme and the media happily reinforces it every chance they get. Maguire is always the focal point of attention by pundits, pundits openly laugh with him on tv during football half times. It is quite frankly super annoying and it got completely out of hand.

I would be proud if the team openly stood up for Maguire like Ten Hag does.

Antony in this instance looks like a fool.

jesperjaap

I agree. Has been really good the last couple of games and it seems a few people who were writing him off now suddenly think he may be decent....when in reality he has had a good first season anyway for a young player from a different continent, pretty unexperienced in Europe at one of the biggest sides in the world....and like you say, didnt have a pre-season which is a very valid point.

I wonder if he just lacks that yard of pace to be world class like for example a Robben who Ten Hag compared him too....but I think the fee and him being Brazilian, people were expectinga world class superstar straight way, which is acceptable as that is what you should expect for £70-80m....but that isnt the case the last couple of windows.

Though he has frustrated at times and been a bit one dimensional, I think the vision and talent has been evident all season, a lot of things havent come off, but he is positionally aware and harx working too which is good for a winger. I compared him to early Ronaldo a couple of months ago (not in terms of the same ability) but that you can see the talent and attributes are there, but he needs to develop and of course got shot down that he was no Ronaldo and wasnt even very good, which wasnt the point.

I think he can be a very good player for us, like Garnacho on the other flank in a different way, he seems to be direct and make things happen.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
'he's had a very good season'

Played very well Sunday and has had some good games here or there but let's not go overboard in typical Redcafe style.

He's scored 4 PL goals and has 1 assist. Let's not go all RAWK with this one describing that record as 'very good'.

It's been a very mediocre first season for me. We've seen glimpses of what he can do but sadly not enough.

Sancho is a much bigger issue for us though. Haven't seen him do anywhere near enough. Not even been as good as Antony has been.

podurban2

Antony comes from that school of tenacity you hope to see in every player at your club. He doesn't hide, doesn't stop trying and he refuses to let the bad affect his game - where some let their head drop or are guided by how well they're doing, he's defiant and resolute. It stands him in the best stead in his future endeavours and development and almost assures we'll get to see what his best can go on to become.

He's learning and growing - showing his right foot is actually both functional and useful could be the start of something special in its own right as it opens up the field and possibilities on the pitch so much more for him and will make him a lot more unpredictable, which translates to more of a handful to deal with. Following in on potential spillages, too. A seemingly small thing, but one that can easily bag him numerous goals over a campaign.

His passing and crossing needs work, but he's showing a wider array of selections, which, once the opposition become conditioned to be wary of, will buy him more time to execute other passes and crosses. It should lead to improvements in completions because closing off passing lanes - or even shaping to - becomes that much more difficult. A top class attacking fullback down his flank will really make a difference, too.

He's received a lot of criticism in this thread, but it seems we're seeing a truer representation of what he's about now, which should force reassessment. He looks more settled and familiar with the league, and more particularly the pace and aggression of it, which doesn't seem to be catching him out anymore. So this is more the settled player who can now start to branch out and express himself, which might be why he's suddenly decided to show his - surprisingly competent - right foot, as well as the ability to play reverse through balls(?).

But over anything, that tenacity and determination is what enthuses as he won't stop trying to improve and affect games, which in itself will force him to develop. That's what bodes so well for him, and by proxy, us.
Good post. May I add that his positioning is quite excellent, and has been for a while. Especially considering it’s his first season. Dragging the opposition’s defensive line, is rarely offside, is always available for his fullback and midfielders. Hopefully it will only improve with time and better players around him.

podurban2

'he's had a very good season'

Played very well Sunday and has had some good games here or there but let's not go overboard in typical Redcafe style.

He's scored 4 PL goals and has 1 assist. Let's not go all RAWK with this one describing that record as 'very good'.

It's been a very mediocre first season for me. We've seen glimpses of what he can do but sadly not enough.

Sancho is a much bigger issue for us though. Haven't seen him do anywhere near enough. Not even been as good as Antony has been.
His output has not been good and he has had some very poor games. However, this obsession to only look at his goals and assists in the PL is a bit flawed imo. We’ve had Weghorst as a striker, obviously that must be taken into consideration? In comparison, Grealish has 400+ more minutes in the PL (with six more appearances) in a much better attacking team with Haaland as a striker, and he has 5 goals and 6 assists and is being lauded as one of their top three players this season. Of course, Antony needs to improve in his output, but with him finding his way in the league and the team getting better (especially a new striker) that should be highly likely, fingers crossed.

lex talionis

We can bitch and moan about the last 8 months or we can acknowledge where Antony is right now, which is nothing less than brilliant.

wangyu

So was O.J. Simpson…
I think there is a difference. Jackson was under FBI investigation since 1993, they ransacked his properties, interviewed dozens of people and nothing appeared to add up. I view the entire attack on his person pre allegations as a case of racism. I saw how the American media dealt with the 2005 trial it was disgusting. They were literally mouthwatering with pleasure at the prospect of him going to jail. Trial by media, I’m glad it failed.

That said Jackson should have been smarter, that documentary about him (can’t recall the title) early 2000s was ridiculously stupid of him to approve. But I guess some people can’t help being naive, it was the ideal way to put him in bad light.

Last edited:

Longlivekeano

we replaced Dan James and Jesse Lingard for Antony. I think we have done well to improve our quality on the right wing. I think Antony will vastly improve in next few seasons with a pre-season, better understanding of EPL opponents, more in depth understanding of his team-mates' style of play, etc. His numbers will hopefully improve to 10-13 goals and 6-10 assists a season which will be a fair return on the financial investment...if the numbers are 10 goals-10 assists consistently for next 5-8 years, insya-Allah (God willing)

P/S: I wonder what other top wingers/forwards in other clubs are posting in their first season.

glasgow 21

Yeah, it's so weird. I mean, God forbid we ever give too much credit to a player for a team we support!
He scored against Barcelona so he is shit and he score against Forest so he is shit get with the program how dare give time he has been here for months after giving the likes of Lingz 11years , you really have to laugh.
not sure about that. Bruno is comfortably winning MotM vote here on the caf. Bruno was superb.

Antony was very good too, mind. He’s in great form. Long May it continue.
Sorry, I don't disagree with you just Antony has had his fair share of naysayers and no one would have complained if he had got it for his contribution but the mid week spat with Neville and Bruno made it a no brainer.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Good post. May I add that his positioning is quite excellent, and has been for a while. Especially considering it’s his first season. Dragging the opposition’s defensive line, is rarely offside, is always available for his fullback and midfielders. Hopefully it will only improve with time and better players around him.
For sure. He has some attributes already locked in; just needs to round out other parts of his game and he’ll be even more of annoyance to the opposition than he is now.

Sevilla 3:0 Man Utd

Skills

Snitch
feck the work rate and effort. He's just so toothless in attack.

How can you carry someone like that when you desperately need production?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
feck the work rate and effort. He's just so toothless in attack.

How can you carry someone like that when you desperately need production?
He was fine today.

Ekeke

45 minutes of working hard trying to do something, tracking back. Then in the 2nd half he kicked out and was lucky with a yellow. A good first half at least and the only player to deserve any positivity tonight

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Only player tonight that looked up for it. Dropped off in the second half but first half he was our only good player.

redcucumber

He was literally the only one who did anything ffs. Braindead bump but I'm sure I've seen that same poster criticise Antony incessantly. If not, my bad.

Abhinav

He is raw but has the fundamentals to succeed here. We will need to be patient with him as he will definitely have a few frustrating games. Tonight he did good.

Rajma

Pointless, I doubt he will be a starter next season. Basically has zero competition but apart from tracking back he’s very limited and I see no signs of improvement over the course of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.